Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

JBL has way more of a 60s physique than Blue Meanie.

I have to agree, but JBL's still an rear end in a top hat for doing it. You know what's funny? JBL, like a lot of people who have encountered Mil, whines endlessly about how unprofessional Mil Mascaras was when he worked with him, yet might be the most unprofessional wrestler WWE's ever used, with the exception of maybe Warrior, Nailz, and Lo Ki/Kaval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I have to agree, but JBL's still an rear end in a top hat for doing it. You know what's funny? JBL, like a lot of people who have encountered Mil, whines endlessly about how unprofessional Mil Mascaras was when he worked with him, yet might be the most unprofessional wrestler WWE's ever used, with the exception of maybe Warrior, Nailz, and Lo Ki/Kaval.

I have tried to use this as evidence to convince people why Mil owns.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What did Ki do in WWE that was unprofessional?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It's interesting that the people defending JBL are the kind that yearn for the days of cocaine and handguns in the locker room.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

coconono posted:

It's interesting that the people defending JBL are the kind that yearn for the days of cocaine and handguns in the locker room.

I'm not defending JBL

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Muddy Burphy posted:

Probably talking about his pre-fed antics

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Jerk Bitch Loser

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Probably talking about his pre-fed antics

And nearly killing Ziggler that one time.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Ziggler was out of position and also it was hilarious

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Roman Reigns posted:

And nearly killing Ziggler that one time.

public service

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Low Ki did 17 years in the business and still doesn't know it's a work

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Cornette is hilarious in his defense of JBL. He thinks that it's a legit argument to say yeah just threaten to cave his skull in with a baseball bat duh.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Muddy Burphy posted:

Pouted about doing jobs. Had a bad habit of stiffing people, also.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

The_Rob posted:

Cornette is hilarious in his defense of JBL. He thinks that it's a legit argument to say yeah just threaten to cave his skull in with a baseball bat duh.

After seeing what happens if Dairy Queen delays a drive through order for Jim I am pretty sure that would be what Corny would have done

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
bix please write about peter rosenberg on deadspin, thanks

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Jim Cornette is just the typical message board poster who has the response 'if that happened to ME I would have pulled out my Katana and taught that alpha jock a lesson!!!'

In reality even if someone was capable of killing JBL in a fight, which given JBL's pathetic history in real fights is completely plausible, it's not something a normal human does. I have never once thought 'I should attack someone I don't like at work and somehow, I will face no repercussions'

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

In Jim Cornette's case I have no problem believing that he would stand up to a bully. He slapped the poo poo out of Santino for ruining a stupid angle that nobody noticed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Jim Cornette is just the typical message board poster who has the response 'if that happened to ME I would have pulled out my Katana and taught that alpha jock a lesson!!!'
Except Cornette has a longstanding history of actually standing up to people instead of just posting on the internet, and JBL got knocked the gently caress out by a third-string announcer.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It's cool how jim cornette attempted to murder someone who was loving with him too much, with his car, and told the whole story to the world after the statue of limitations ran out he had already been tried for the incident.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 15, 2017

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Cavauro posted:

It's cool how jim cornette attempted to murder someone who was loving with him too much, with his car, and told the whole story to the world after the statue of limitations ran out he had already been tried for the incident.

That's just how adults handle situations in the real world.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jim Cornette is cool and good only when compared to most people in wrestling, especially considering his era, and we all need to stop being surprised that anybody in wrestling is a terrible human being in some way, shape, or form.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Muddy Burphy posted:

Made out with Layla in the ring that one time even though he is her little brother :mad:

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Made out with Layla in the ring that one time even though he is her little brother :mad:
That sounds like the kind of thing that would get him a push.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Muddy Burphy posted:

On the latest Filthy Four Daily Bryan complains about guys like Hawkins and Jinder being paid 6 figures to lose every week. Wasn't the whole thing when they were signed is that they were getting paid crazy small downsides?

I think it's called crazy small as just the downside, he might be considering the whole of what they make. Additionally, when you consider the costs associated with travel or generally being a WWE employee, a huge chunk of that goes away. But the company still pays them.

Jerusalem posted:

Others have already noted it, but seriously NJPW World is an amazing service and unbelievable value for money. Unless you have really bad internet I can't think of an easier, more convenient or cost-effective way it could be provided to you.

It's not as amazing as WWE network, with only slightly less cost. Plus, while their english integration is improving, it's still pretty poor. The little annoyances can really hurt keeping people on (see also that you pay for the calender month, not 30 days).

PaybackJack posted:

Cornette has also been quasi-defending JBL on his show but his cohost hates the guy. It makes a fun dynamic of Cornette telling a funny story about him then his cohost saying gently caress him and hoping he dies in a fire.

I've always seen Cornette as annoyed that wrestling isn't what it used to be - legit annoyed that there's less bullying, physical violence, drugs etc. Nowdays the boys are all so boring, playing video games! Not going and starting a bar fight, or pulling dangerous pranks on the new fucks!

PaybackJack posted:

For anyone who didn't listen, Cornette's "advice" was that if Mauro was being bullied that badly he should have confronted JBL in the parking lot with a tire iron. He figured that Mauro would have gotten his rear end kicked but he's pretty sure that the problem would have been solved.

There it is.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I'd love for Mauro to show up backstage with Bas and a few other MMA buddies and have them beat the breaks off the entire commentary team and upper management staff.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Speaking of Mauro he will be commentating for Rizin FF (japanese MMA Fed) this weekend

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Wazzu posted:

It's not as amazing as WWE network, with only slightly less cost. Plus, while their english integration is improving, it's still pretty poor. The little annoyances can really hurt keeping people on (see also that you pay for the calender month, not 30 days).

This is really the thing for me.

I've looked at NJPW World before, and while it's definitely a good service, it's still yet another ~$10/month, the english is very limited, and there just isn't very much archival footage from ye olden dayes which is a big part of what I like on WWE network.

And also having to muddle through a google translated web page or look back and forth from a PDF translation is just yet another turn off. Also if they had a trial--any sort of trial--so I could test my assumptions and see if I'm underestimating the amount of content they have, that'd be nice. Hell, just give me a free week so I can see if it's something I want to pay for.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I'd love for Mauro to show up backstage with Bas and a few other MMA buddies and have them beat the breaks off the entire commentary team and upper management staff.

Now you're talking.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Platypus Farm posted:

This is really the thing for me.

I've looked at NJPW World before, and while it's definitely a good service, it's still yet another ~$10/month, the english is very limited, and there just isn't very much archival footage from ye olden dayes which is a big part of what I like on WWE network.

And also having to muddle through a google translated web page or look back and forth from a PDF translation is just yet another turn off. Also if they had a trial--any sort of trial--so I could test my assumptions and see if I'm underestimating the amount of content they have, that'd be nice. Hell, just give me a free week so I can see if it's something I want to pay for.

As a Dragon Gate fan laughing at your bitching.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Dimebags Brain posted:

As a Dragon Gate fan laughing at your bitching.

Yeah well, I wouldn't even try DG, I'm way too easily put off (obviously).

Actually this brings me to a question about all this poo poo, and it's something Dave's talked about before. When the WWE network expands, they open up entirely new store fronts and all that. He's also talked about NJPW doing some shows on the west coast, and the talent trades with ROH, etc. Why the hell WOULDN'T they try to streamline the experience? They'd have to put some money into marketing and education for wrestling fans, but it really seems like there aren't a whole lot of totally casual viewers anymore. Surely they could make some decent bank by appealing to a more global audience? Or at least in places where wrestling's still pretty popular.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Platypus Farm posted:

Yeah well, I wouldn't even try DG, I'm way too easily put off (obviously).

Actually this brings me to a question about all this poo poo, and it's something Dave's talked about before. When the WWE network expands, they open up entirely new store fronts and all that. He's also talked about NJPW doing some shows on the west coast, and the talent trades with ROH, etc. Why the hell WOULDN'T they try to streamline the experience? They'd have to put some money into marketing and education for wrestling fans, but it really seems like there aren't a whole lot of totally casual viewers anymore. Surely they could make some decent bank by appealing to a more global audience? Or at least in places where wrestling's still pretty popular.

For NJPW?

Cost. They still have a minor percentage of what WWE Network has and only about a third of that is western subscribers. Although I bet Kidani would love to have complete English on everything, but it's just not economically feasible at this juncture. They are doing a lot more, and if the sales for G1 Special are any indication, NJPW will expand into more western coverage.

And yeah, be happy they aren't in DG's position: the number two in Japan, partially owned by a TV network that aggressively doesn't give a poo poo about western fans and are willing to cut off the nose to spite the face with their DMCA's/unwillingness to put their normally taped stuff on global iPPV.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Are we getting a Bryan and Vinny for this week's Raw? I wanna hear them gush over BRAAAAAAAAAAAAUN

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

B&V was cancelled on Thursday, depends what they do tonight I guess. I think Granny's on this show so they might do Raw and NXT too

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

For NJPW?

Cost. They still have a minor percentage of what WWE Network has and only about a third of that is western subscribers. Although I bet Kidani would love to have complete English on everything, but it's just not economically feasible at this juncture. They are doing a lot more, and if the sales for G1 Special are any indication, NJPW will expand into more western coverage.

And yeah, be happy they aren't in DG's position: the number two in Japan, partially owned by a TV network that aggressively doesn't give a poo poo about western fans and are willing to cut off the nose to spite the face with their DMCA's/unwillingness to put their normally taped stuff on global iPPV.

Good to know. As much as I bitch about it all, I do really enjoy the stuff I see from the promotion. It's also kind of interesting how they show their big stuff (wrestle kingdom, etc) in the staggered, hour-a-week format with JR on axs.

As far as the english stuff goes, I was more talking about back catalog than recent stuff, since they seem to be doing pretty well on getting english commentary on everything from the 2000s or so up. With the old poo poo, they could just hire out some translators to make closed captions and it'd suddenly be 1000x more watchable. I mean, I get that there are plenty of people who just mute commentary anyway, so I might be in the minority that cares, but there you go.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

It is very easy to figure out the back story to almost every Japanese match and if you really wanna watch old poo poo without using google translate (which works pretty okay for names) just go through one of the recommendation spreadsheets. Like this one. It has links to everything and notes on what titles are being defended/stipulations being used.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsZCBTpKjHzdbCpKZ1No1KAdpmOd2OcgSMfC1-oa7pI/

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

Good to know. As much as I bitch about it all, I do really enjoy the stuff I see from the promotion. It's also kind of interesting how they show their big stuff (wrestle kingdom, etc) in the staggered, hour-a-week format with JR on axs.

As far as the english stuff goes, I was more talking about back catalog than recent stuff, since they seem to be doing pretty well on getting english commentary on everything from the 2000s or so up. With the old poo poo, they could just hire out some translators to make closed captions and it'd suddenly be 1000x more watchable. I mean, I get that there are plenty of people who just mute commentary anyway, so I might be in the minority that cares, but there you go.

They only have something like 15,000 subs outside of Japan, none of that is really feasible. We're still talking about Japanese wrestling, a niche product. The fact that they have any English content at all is impressive.
I used to be the same way, but honestly with how little is required to understand the basics of why these people are in a ring combined with how easy it is to tell emotion from the announcers, not having English commentary really isn't a big deal.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The fact that they have English commentary for big shows is way more than I ever expected to get from NJPW.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

triplexpac posted:

The fact that they have English commentary for big shows is way more than I ever expected to get from NJPW.

It was gobsmacking when they got JR to do WK9, let alone all the shows they do now, plus the AXS show (which is probably gonna get Mauro back in, like, September)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Isn't JR under contract with AXS until sometime next year? If anything, I could see Mauro going to NJPW and replacing Kevin Kelly at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Venomous posted:

Isn't JR under contract with AXS until sometime next year? If anything, I could see Mauro going to NJPW and replacing Kevin Kelly at some point.

Early 2018

• Locked thread