Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

"I'll just switch off the speed limiter. There's no cops out here!"
*is immediately arrested*

Mafia! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wouldn't you take less damage if you advanced more carefully and tried to pick off enemies at range and using cover instead of charging them headfirst all the time? Or utilizing the amazing dodging (I've no idea if it does anything). You don't have a companion to screw you over this time. :v:

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Doc Morbid posted:

Belleville is all the soundtrack you need :colbert:

(well, that and the other Django Reinhardt track I don't remember the name of... oh yeah, Cavalerie. That's it.)

Hey, I said BARELY has a soundtrack, not DOESN'T have a soundtrack. :-P

Poil posted:

Wouldn't you take less damage if you advanced more carefully and tried to pick off enemies at range and using cover instead of charging them headfirst all the time? Or utilizing the amazing dodging (I've no idea if it does anything). You don't have a companion to screw you over this time. :v:

Yeah, I usually get shot up a few times and then take it more carefully from there. :-P

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 11 is up now! Also, thanks for getting us up to 250 susbscribers; we'll be able to quit our jobs in no time! :-P

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 24, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are truly becoming a Youtube mafia.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also I've just remembered one thing Mafia does well - it has very good crouching animations, and crouching deaths. Many games just fail to capture the reality of what it's like to crouch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I remember the airport area being a complete pain many times...lot of guys with Tommy guns who just appear out of nowhere. Then on top of that you have to deal with the snipers.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Ah, the name Salvatore. My nephew was nearly called that, until my brother was circulating it around his workplace, and one of his colleagues (Milanese) turned to him in horror and told him that everyone would think his kid was Sicilian.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
What would an example of a typically Milanese name be?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

Bianca Castafiore.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Also: it's not Windows 10, Mafia is just glitchy. In my current Freeride save I have a ghost car parked outside Salieri's. Looks solid, but you can walk right through it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Kopijeger posted:

Well, apparently, Matteo.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Hm, a generic biblical name probably common throughout the country. If anything, you'd expect them to use Ambrogio for boys and Savina for girls.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Too bad you didn't attempt that car stealing side quest after the airport with 5 health :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised that you can actually board and ride the trains in this game. I wonder who programmed that?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if you can escape the police with them. If you time it right so you just run up the stairs and into the train.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also I've just remembered that if you ignore a foot cop, he can run to a phone box and call reinforcements, at which point you won't be able to shake them off so easily. So from what I remember, if you anger a lone cop, it tends to be safer to run him over before he can try to raise an alarm.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

Also I've just remembered that if you ignore a foot cop, he can run to a phone box and call reinforcements, at which point you won't be able to shake them off so easily. So from what I remember, if you anger a lone cop, it tends to be safer to run him over before he can try to raise an alarm.

Just like so many situations in real life!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

I played through this game 3 times and had no idea that was a thing

I'm thinking that the cops would despawn unless you hang around for too long? Because I never had that happen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FlamingLiberal posted:

I played through this game 3 times and had no idea that was a thing

I'm thinking that the cops would despawn unless you hang around for too long? Because I never had that happen.

There are small phone booths at various street corners, which are not just for decoration - they can be used by a patrolling cop who is close enough. Then the wanted status jumps to a higher level. I have no idea what the odds are of it actually happening, but I have vague memories of learning about it the hard way.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 12 is up now! Who ever said that the Mafia wasn't efficient?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Wow. The knocked unconscious yells are godawful.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Poor maid. :(

Samovar posted:

Wow. The knocked unconscious yells are godawful.
But somehow no one can hear them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 12 is up now! Who ever said that the Mafia wasn't efficient?
I see you guys already forgot who Sam was. Also known as the guy who nearly died in at least two different missions who you had to rescue.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I see you guys already forgot who Sam was. Also known as the guy who nearly died in at least two different missions who you had to rescue.
Uh oh, the mission is definitely going to end up in a big firefight where Sam gets shot.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Poil posted:

Uh oh, the mission is definitely going to end up in a big firefight where Sam gets shot.

I'm starting to think Paulie can't even go grocery shopping without this happening.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Sam is the Archer's Brett.

Speaking of, if these guys were knocked out for long enough for you to get in and out they almost certainly have serious head trauma. Not that I suppose the Mafia cares about that sort of thing...

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I'm a couple updates behind and I just got to the part where Frank is trying to escape Mafia War by going to Europe in 1930s.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Forgall posted:

I'm a couple updates behind and I just got to the part where Frank is trying to escape Mafia War by going to Europe in 1930s.

Maybe he has the hookup in Mussolini's Italy

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I really like the nice-guy mafia man you play as. He has so much heart, and is clearly a nice and benevolent figure, thrust into a violent world which he is at odds with. This is evident in how he spared not only Frank's family, but Frank as well, and also in how he absolutely obliterated that housekeeper's skull with a baseball bat. That's integrity, and honor: the sort of thing you only see in a classy professional criminal organization, like the mafia.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Where can I get a job as a mafia?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 13 is up now! As you're watching, keep in mind that Amy cut a LOT of my rage out of this episode. Yes, this is condensed.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

And some people claim these kinds of games doesn't make you aggressive. :v:

I don't suppose you could have stopped and gotten out to shoot the jerks in the following car? Sometimes that's less of a headache.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Ah, yes, the goddamn deal with goddamn Bill... don't feel too bad about your aggrerssion here, pedro; you should have heard the stuff coming outy of my mouth as I did that goddamn garage over and over again (my favorite was when I cleared out all the bag guys, only to have ther stupid car get stuck on the scenery so I couldn't get out and had to reload. GAME OF THE YEAR ALL YEARS :shepicide: )

And oh boy, I think I remember some fun times going into this next mission too. I... generally do like this game, honest, but when it's rough, it's rough.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
You know, there was health by the garage office on the first floor.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I really like the nice-guy mafia man you play as. He has so much heart, and is clearly a nice and benevolent figure, thrust into a violent world which he is at odds with. This is evident in how he spared not only Frank's family, but Frank as well, and also in how he absolutely obliterated that housekeeper's skull with a baseball bat. That's integrity, and honor: the sort of thing you only see in a classy professional criminal organization, like the mafia.

The mafia being racist? Never!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

OAquinas posted:

You know, there was health by the garage office on the first floor.

Yeah, we mentioned in the driving section that we found a bunch of health that we had missed at first; that was just cut from the episode. The shooting part wasn't the worst, it's the driving in this game that makes me grind my teeth so much.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 26, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...well, at least it kind of makes sense that the cops aren't going after Morello. They're crooked together and all that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 13 is up now! As you're watching, keep in mind that Amy cut a LOT of my rage out of this episode. Yes, this is condensed.
And people played this game for fun, you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitty
Mar 4, 2013

I think you could have just left the truck as soon as the enemies spawned and gun them all down. If no cop sees you getting back into the truck you shouldn't even have the police after you.

• Locked thread