Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

What is this game?
Mafia is an open-world sandbox game from 2002, released on multiple platforms. A lot of people call it a GTA III clone -- that's even what the eBay listing said when we bought our copy -- but in reality, Mafia had already been in development for quite some time, which means that both series kind of defined the genre. It seems like nearly everyone has played every GTA imaginable, but not many people I've talked to have played this, so we figured we'd give it a shot. That, and it looks broken as all hell.

We're playing the PC version of the game, which, surprisingly, runs natively in Windows 10. The PS2 version probably would have been a cheaper option, but the PC version already looks a lot sharper than anything a console at the time would have had, so I'm happy with our decision (and it's a hell of a lot easier to record, too).

Who's playing?
Amy and I (Peter) are back for another adventure! If the first couple episodes are anything to go by, then this is going to be a treat. It's like the Skate of third-person shooters (or was Skate the Mafia of skateboarding games?). We took a break for a little while, but we're ready to get back on the horse and ride into a new chapter of our Let's Playing "careers."

Spoiler policy
Amy and I are both going into this blind, and it looks like it might have a decent story, so let's keep any spoiler talk behind those nifty censor tags. I'm good with discussing the story, as long as no big twists or anything like that are revealed. Also, if anyone has any inside info about this game, like cool secret areas or anything like that, feel free to direct us!

Episode list
Part 1: Not-so-Crazy Taxi
Part 2: Is this what the Mafia is like?
Part 3: Cop-on-cop violence
Part 4: Not a scratch!
Part 5: Man tricks
Part 6: Phantom umbrellas
Part 7: Really, Thomas Angelo?
Part 8: Stupid putt-putts
Part 9: Purrs like a kitten, yeah...
Part 10: Nonononono!
Part 11: Cutest mob boss ever
Part 12: I have no friends
Part 13: I have NO control
Part 14: Can I buy you a neck?
Part 15: Bathroom key
Part 16: Graaaate.
Part 17: 90-degree bridge
Part 18: Delicate like a baby
Part 19: Mouth horn
Part 20: Boxes: The Mission
Part 21: Thrilled and stunned
Part 22: Scant on art
Part 23 (FINALE!): I'll make my own ramp!

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I can already tell you're going to have a great time with the mandatory race mission and the mission preceding it. (e: spoiler-tagged that mission because I misread the OP at first, it's not a story spoiler or anything but I figured I might as well tag it just in case)

Mafia was a pretty great game at the time, but it does have a bit of the old euro-jank going on. Avoiding the PS2 version was a good idea, by the way, as that runs like total poo poo and has ridiculous loading times.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 4, 2017

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Doc Morbid posted:

Mafia was a pretty great game at the time, but it does have a bit of the old euro-jank going on. Avoiding the PS2 version was a good idea, by the way, as that runs like total poo poo and has ridiculous loading times.

Long loading times are a huge pet peeve of mine, so yeah, I'm glad we avoided that.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
You probably already figured this out by the time this video went up but there is actually a speed limiter you can turn on to stop from getting speeding tickets all the time.
There's also a Free Ride option if you just want to drive around being churlish without any tedious plot getting in the way. The Free Ride Extreme you unlock after finishing the game can get really silly.
I liked this game a lot even if it is pretty janky and occasionally frustrating. Looking forward to your take on it.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

I can already tell you're going to have a great time with the mandatory race mission and the mission preceding it. (e: spoiler-tagged that mission because I misread the OP at first, it's not a story spoiler or anything but I figured I might as well tag it just in case)

I don't remember the race being difficult, but getting there was a huge pain in the rear end. I almost stopped playing.

I rented it from Blockbuster back in the day, and remember being frustrated by the speed limit thing too. Great soundtrack, though.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Anime Reference posted:

You probably already figured this out by the time this video went up but there is actually a speed limiter you can turn on to stop from getting speeding tickets all the time.
There's also a Free Ride option if you just want to drive around being churlish without any tedious plot getting in the way. The Free Ride Extreme you unlock after finishing the game can get really silly.
I liked this game a lot even if it is pretty janky and occasionally frustrating. Looking forward to your take on it.

Yeah, we found the speed limiter by the second episode; what a pain everything was up to that point. Also, Free Ride Extreme sounds incredible.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Disco Godfather posted:

I don't remember the race being difficult
I didn't have that many problems with it either because all you really need is to be competent at driving (and preferably play on something other than the keyboard), but I think they actually had to patch it to be less difficult after enough people complained.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is one of my favorite all time games (the story has a lot to do with it, but this game was pretty advanced for its time), and yes that one mission is garbage

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I've been waiting for an LP of this game for a long time

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Hey. It's good to see you guys back. doing something interesting.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

cant cook creole bream posted:

We're always doing something interesting. Aaaaaalways.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

cant cook creole bream posted:

If you don't think that Blair Witch fiasco was interesting, I don't even know what to say to you :colbert:

Remember that one where the dude was very obviously dead right from the beginning, and just kept being dead? That was the worst one. I liked it though. But it was no good.

Colorred
Dec 26, 2012
Loving this LP so far. It may just be me, but I always find people trying to ramp random things in open world games super amusing.

Also, have you guys figured out how to find the speed limit for roads yet, or are you just expected to intuitively know how fast to go?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Colorred posted:

Also, have you guys figured out how to find the speed limit for roads yet, or are you just expected to intuitively know how fast to go?

Yeah, when you turn the speed limiter on, it tells you wash l what the speed limit is; although, at that point, you really don't need to know anymore.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I remember buying this on PC when it came out, but I never finished it. I loved the soundtrack and was blown away by the cigar smoke effects that show up in the main menu for some reason. I've never played the other Mafia games, but this one was pretty ambitious.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's surprising how much emphasis is put on obeying the law in a game called Mafia.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

No wonder that guy is poor, he has to pay a speeding ticket on every fare. :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Samovar posted:

It's surprising how much emphasis is put on obeying the law in a game called Mafia.
It's a little weird that there was no bribe option

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
This was a great game.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's a little weird that there was no bribe option

Poil posted:

:airquote: speeding ticket :airquote:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have a feeling it's trying to be dull on purpose. I mean, yeah, Sensible Taxi isn't anybody's idea of a good time, but it keeps the lights on.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Doc Morbid posted:

I didn't have that many problems with it either because all you really need is to be competent at driving (and preferably play on something other than the keyboard), but I think they actually had to patch it to be less difficult after enough people complained.

yeah they have a Very Easy mode on it and everything. the trick to it is that if you do well and get ahead early, the rest of the event is simple enough. but if you don't it becomes a colossal clusterfuck very quickly.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Glazius posted:

I have a feeling it's trying to be dull on purpose. I mean, yeah, Sensible Taxi isn't anybody's idea of a good time, but it keeps the lights on.

Probably. Hopefully it doesn't drag on for to long otherwise I might resort to a life of crime.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I suspect it's to familiarize you with the town and the driving before putting you into any real missions. It does go on for a bit too long however.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This game's driving is way less aggravating than the sequel

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Poil posted:

I suspect it's to familiarize you with the town and the driving before putting you into any real missions. It does go on for a bit too long however.

Maybe it was a misguided attempt to make you feel the drudgery of everyday life in Great Depression America so that you're hoping for Cosa Nostra to whisk you away into a world of fast cars and easy money.

...somehow I doubt it :v:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh yeah, this game. It did some things really well at the time, but it was released concurrently with GTAIII, so the expectation of a game with driving in a lush open world (which this certainly is) was that there would be things to do in it- racing and collecting and sidemissions and such. Mafia doesn't have these things- it looks like a sandbox, but the story is much more linear than it looks. It's still pretty good, though, and a cut above the sequel, even if anyone who's seen or read any story dealing with organized crime at all will know where things go...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Playing this on PC at the time it blew GTA3 away graphics wise

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

FlamingLiberal posted:

Playing this on PC at the time it blew GTA3 away graphics wise

Yeah this game was absolutely beautiful compared to GTA III.

Plus, you can pop tires, which you couldn't do in GTA until Vice City.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 2 is up now! We're officially gangsters now! That's a thing that gangsters say, isn't it?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

So what exactly were you supposed to do with the molotovs? And why does one guy saying "What're you doing here" summon four goons, but bashing in the windows of 5 cars and braining that same guy with a baseball bat doesn't arouse any suspicions?

The story has me intrigued but the map system, controls and camera are making me appreciate how far gaming has come because I don't know if I could play through this.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yes, the Mafia is exactly like that. You take a swing at the boss in a moment of distraction and you're immediately marked for death.

Colorred
Dec 26, 2012
My God, these early driving sections are AWFUL. Why did they think it was good idea to start their game about the mafia with thirty minutes of uninterrupted driving, in which you're not allowed to break the law?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That radar in the upper left might just be the worst radar I've ever seen in a game.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'd forgotten how awkward the third person camera placement was in this. Yeesh.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Samovar posted:

That radar in the upper left might just be the worst radar I've ever seen in a game.

yeah you really come to appreciate the GPS that came with GTA 4 playing this game. GTA 3 snuck about the problem with design, by placing the major islands direct compass points away from each other so you were likely to find the bridges just by driving the correct general direction, and by slowly opening the islands up so you were likely to be familiar with one island before you had to be familiar with the next. but that wasn't a real solution and mafia 1 is the proof; i think during a couple of missions i ended up having to restart because i was so disoriented looking for the goddamn bridge that it was easier to just restore from checkpoint and get back to the main drag so i could follow the street signs instead of the radar.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 8, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm loving the lackluster responses to being hit in hand-to-hand.

Edit: Hang on, Vinny's nephew lent him that baseball bat? Ugh, sheer nepotism.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 8, 2017

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 3 is up now! So, I'm starting to think -- just hear me out -- that the AI isn't all that good in this game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Oooh you're going to enjoy the chase in the crappy car instead of taking the slightly less-crappy car Ralph was trying to teach you to steal and take.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The AI seems to be totally unaware of your car unless they've physically crashed/walked into interacted with it, which....wow.

Also when your car gets damaged it seems like it forgets how to shift gears; is that how they simulated car damage slowing you down?

e: :laffo: :krakken: I thought that was legit for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

oldskool posted:

e: :laffo: :krakken: I thought that was legit for a second.

Amy did an awesome editing job with that. :-D

• Locked thread