Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Yeah, party members won't hang out with you in the last week before a palace deadline until you clear it.

Huh, is that how it works? I thought it was that once you've secured your infiltration route and are waiting for the calling card they'll stop being available for hang outs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

darealkooky posted:

Yeah they said that but that doesn't mean anything. Catgirl with zippers everywhere is what ann views a cool rebel to look like, but out of story she also just has a general dominatrix design between her outfit, weapon and persona. Same with makoto being a biker or yusuke being so feudal japan he shits kabuki. Does goro not have some sort of motif like this?

e: about the above post that makes enough sense for me

I'll make an effort post on the cast outfits because I'm bored.

Protagonist - Gentleman Thief outfit to the nines. Being almost entirely black it gives off a vibe of mystery which compliments his status as a pseudo blank slate character. As the main character he also most exemplifies the ideal of the Phantom Thieves as a whole which is stealing for the sake of justice rather than profit or selfish gains which can also fit rather well with the gentleman thief concept.

Ryuji - He be a Pirate. Having a rebel pirate outfit really exemplifies Ryuji's attitude of "gently caress the entire system" and how he charges ahead against anyone and everyone. His entire motivation is that he wants to be free from lovely adults and society's expectations and a pirate shows that off quite well.

Ann - A classic Cat Burglar. Her outfit as well as her persona go in heavily on the theme of Ann being a Femme Fatale, a dangerous woman with dangerous charm. The outfit also plays up to her fun and easy-going personality as cat burglar characters are typically less about seriousness and more about spectacle and fun.

Yusuke - Kitsune Samurai Man. A lot of his outfit plays up to his artistic pursuit of beauty and grace but it also plays to his huge sense of honor. His big issue with Madarame is basically his rampant disregard for treating art in a honorable way and instead just seeing it as a way to make a profit.

Makoto - Straight Outta SMT Apocalypse Bike Ganger. Makoto holds on to a lot of anger at being held to the expectations of people and not having much say of her own. Her outfit displays that lashing out of anger and her refusal to let herself be held down by other people's rules anymore. She'll fight you, she'll fight your mom, she'll fight herself. gently caress you.

Haru - The Fourth Musketeer. She talks a lot about how when she was a kid she really looked up to and loved super heroes because of how they always fought for justice. Her outfit plays off of that by giving her a super fantastical look that wouldn't be out of place in some kind of saturday morning cartoon. It also speaks to her sense of grace.

Morgana - I'll be honest I'm not sure what to go for with him. He's a cat in a Zorro mask.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

i like that they give up almost immediately on justifying the guns

ryuji has to buy fake guns for him and joker but then yusuke just randomly has a counter-strike rear end assault rifle the moment he gets his persona

and where did haru even find a replica grenade launcher

Yeah I was just coming in here to post about this. Was it the Personas?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Protagonist - Gentleman Thief outfit to the nines. Being almost entirely black it gives off a vibe of mystery which compliments his status as a pseudo blank slate character. As the main character he also most exemplifies the ideal of the Phantom Thieves as a whole which is stealing for the sake of justice rather than profit or selfish gains which can also fit rather well with the gentleman thief concept.

Don't forget the very meaningful and pointed red gloves he wears that are constantly showcased in the ambush animation at the beginning of a fight and his victory animation at the end of battles.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yusuke - Kitsune Samurai Man. A lot of his outfit plays up to his artistic pursuit of beauty and grace but it also plays to his huge sense of honor. His big issue with Madarame is basically his rampant disregard for treating art in a honorable way and instead just seeing it as a way to make a profit.

He also Naruto-runs like a total goofus.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

He also Naruto-runs like a total goofus.
putting yusuke in the Casual Outfit DLC and running around with him in dungeons makes him look exactly like that weird kid in middle school because of this

also Ann giving Yusuke poo poo about why he was wearing his school clothes one day and then Yusuke saying "I did laundry today and I don't have many outfits...." was entirely too real, too fast

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'll make an effort post on the cast outfits because I'm bored.

Yeah they all did a good job w/ theme

The natural connection for a cat w/ the game's themes is Puss in Boots, but they don't really go there with his visual design instead opting to make Haru the elegant swashbuckler thief (even tho Zorro fits as a Persona with that theme)

I saw Ryuji as more of just a traditional punk design (which isn't to say it's bad or uninspired, I loving love how his awakened Persona is the monkey king with neon liberty spikes)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh also: (endgame spoilers) I don't know whether it's more awesome that Igor's weird deep new voice was a loving plot trick, or funny that they didn't cast the original US Igor actor to reprise the role at the end

This game is loving badass, though

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Post Palace Six Nonstop infinite PLOT DUMP

@_@

This is a twist that would make loving Professor Layton writers jealous.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 15, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

wizard on a water slide posted:

Akechi's outfit reminds me of a very specific anime trope I have a hard time defining personally bc I don't really know the language of the genre/medium, but that I've definitely seen. Like something like what Char in Gundam has going on, a very flashy or formal kind of military ensemble, which matches with his using science fiction weapons; he's like an over-the-top shonen anime hero or something, which contrasts Joker's black gentleman thief ensemble and as that guy above points out is obviously playing with the hero/villain relationship between the characters.

I feel like it's definitely as strong or stronger and more appropriate a concept than some of the other Phantom Thief outfits, I just have a hard time articulating why because it feels like it's a reference to a stock character design from another culture.

Does that make sense at all or am I insane

Then When he goes evil his weapons go from fantasy to cruel. Changing from Ray Guns and Laser Swords to Silenced Pistols and Serrated Blades.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to restore your ammo once you're in the endgame dungeon on the final day? The healing NPC doesn't seem to

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Night Blade posted:

@_@

If there's anything Atlus has taught me, it's to never underestimate how stupid games can get. thanks, Naoto/Adachi

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
All right so I had to stop for a bit before doing the very final day in March so for all intents and purposes I have finished this game unless it pulls a Persona 4 on me and throws me in a dungeon after saying bye to my fake friends.

Lots of things to say. I really liked this game but it has a few small issues that grated on me. I won't discuss gameplay ones because I think we all agree that having Morgana seemingly take away your free will every other night is irritating (and it'd work better IMO if Akira just said he was tired and wanted to sleep, in first person thought bubbles) or dungeon gimmicks going on for exactly one section too long (I almost snapped when I saw corridors for the third time in the final palace)

I do like how I managed to finish all but 3 of the social links without trying very hard and being suboptimal with my social stat planning. Only one I regret it getting Hanged to 8 on the final day. Didn't care enough about devil nor tower to get them after rank 3.

My thoughts on the party members:

Akira/protagonist: Super cool dude. Has a lot of emotion compared to P3 and 4's protags, doesn't feel too much like a blank slate but like a nuanced character with different thoughts that you can voice. Stylish dude. Hipster for coffee. I particularly liked the part in the Fortune confidant where Chihaya asks him whether he likes older girls and your options are "why do you ask?" and "Hell yes I do". Makes it canon that he's into the older girls, and kinda sorta goes hand in hand with the adult/senpai romance options in the game? I think only Futaba is younger than him, and he might make some sort of exception for her due to being close friends.

Ryuji: He's a cool dude but seriously suffered from the idiot ball being handed around in October. Once Makoto enters the picture he kind of becomes a doofus until November or so, and then he gets cool and capable again. Good thing I finished his social link in November (I liked spreading them around) so it didn't feel like he dropped out of the picture completely. The way he shat on Morgana all of a sudden was really stupid and I'm glad the game more or less acknowledged that. Guess the fame got to his head, which isn't a very unrealistic thing to happen.

Ann: I liked her but she really disappeared after Makoto joined. I felt like she was quite capable and intelligent at times so I'm sad she slides into irrelevance for long stretches of time after Kamoshida. One thing I did enjoy in particular is the dynamic she had with Ryuji. Contrasting with Yosuke/Chie/Yukiko and Junpei/Yukari, she didn't seem to be too bothered by him perving over her, and they had a fun dynamic. Specifically her teasing him in the beach scene was a refreshing show of confidence and took away a lot of the skeeviness the scene could've had.

Morgana: A mascot character that wasn't irritating (Teddie) or boring (Koromaru). His pettiness in October was kind of weird but otherwise he was a really great character. Unfortunately the ease of using him as a healbot once I got Yusuke meant he never saw a spot in my roster again, save for some segments with a lot of wind-weakness enemies.

Yusuke: Absolutely amazing boy. He is real, and he is my friend. Apart from being a bit of a creepy oddball before he joined, every scene with him was gold and his baton pass mechanics made using him fun for trash mobs. His confidant scenes were funny and touching, too.

Makoto: The best girl. She has a lot of scenes, she's capable, and quite funny at times. Her following you around was cute, and she basically has the best persona until it evolves into a wonky-looking transformer. I was expecting (hoping?) that she'd step all over me but after her awakening scene she mostly stuck to some sort of good girl honours student archetype, and then zig-zagged into malevolent avatar of death and nuclear destruction in combat. I think I would have liked to see her aggressive side a bit more outside of the palaces/mementos, too. But maybe I'm just a weird sadist, idk.

Futaba: I like her. I was afraid every single thing about her would be boiled down to otaku/nerd jokes but she's not too bad on that front. She tears into Mishima which was pretty funny. I don't know how people could date her though: she reminds me of those splatoon girls (I've never played splatoon either) and she's more of a little sister than anything else.

Haru: It's unfortunate that she joins so late in the story, and she requires max proficiency to actually get to know, which totally surprised me. I do enjoy how her story avoided having me change some dude's heart yet again, but is about her learning to communicate with people in a serious way about important issues, rather than be some doll her father used as a bargaining chip. She also loving sniped the endboss for 1,500 damage every turn and I have deep respect for that. Her voice didn't actually irritate me at all.

Akechi: Okay, this actually really disappointed me. I was expecting he'd be a genuinely good person on the side of the well-meaning albeit misguided law enforcement who has a sort of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" deal with the Phantom Thieves and betrays them because he believes it's the morally just thing to do afterwards. He raises good issues on the dangers of breaking the law and protocol to do what you believe is right, because that makes you an unpredictable agent of chaos and society simply cannot function if it relies on those to uphold justice. But all of that poo poo is undermined and goes out the loving window when he reveals he was working for Shido all along and gives some hammy-rear end "woe is me, I want daddy to acknowledge me, also I murder people" speech. I really want to like this dude but he's definitely the second-weakest link in the game's story and themes IMO. (The weakest link is how everyone acts like a dumbass in October to force Haru into the plot, and the plot forward.) He would have worked a lot better as a third party temporarily joining forces than an actual villain IMO.

Other random thoughts about Confidants: Sojiro rules, Mishima is a loving goon but I came around to liking him by the end of the game, Iwai seemed cool and I regret lacking the time to hang out with him a few more times, Takemi was a fun character with touching scenes but I'm not into goths so she can't be the best girl, Kawakami deserves sympathy but it's weird how she changed into her maid outfit to massage me even if we don't date, Tora is my cool old bro, and Lala Escargot needs to be added as a new Confidant. Chihaya's story was meh, but she gains points from me by being thirsty and letting me hang out with my real friends more often. I never hung out with reporter lady because her ability and story both seemed boring. The arcade kid seemed to have a promising story, but in between the late date he gets unlocked and the more pressing social links in November/December I didn't get far.

The bait and switch with deep voice Igor actually caught me really off-guard and wasn't bad at all.

All in all, still the best Persona game, both in gameplay and in story/themes. Everything fits together in a neat package. I'm definitely going to NG+ this and spend all of December going on dates with Makoto around various places in Tokyo.

P.S.: Could anyone link me the blog post Baal wrote about this? I was still going through the game when he posted it and I'm interested in his opinion.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Night Blade posted:

@_@

Yeah it loving rules.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Haru - The Fourth Musketeer. She talks a lot about how when she was a kid she really looked up to and loved super heroes because of how they always fought for justice. Her outfit plays off of that by giving her a super fantastical look that wouldn't be out of place in some kind of saturday morning cartoon. It also speaks to her sense of grace.

Honestly the real inspiration for Haru isn't the Musketeers, but the Scarlet Pimpernel: An aristocratic flower-themed rebel against an oppressive regime, and maybe the first fictional costumed hero.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
If you screw up the second coffin puzzle in the Pyramid, how do you reset it? I tried turning all the holograms back on, but that seems to gently caress things up more.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tradechop posted:

http://kotaku.com/this-might-be-persona-5s-biggest-translation-fail-1794223069 This article's kinda pissing me off today because I actually really like these bits during class days.

I liked having to go on a google hunt to find out that the fishermen of Nagaragawa gained the honorary title of Fishermen for the Imperial House, even if I'm a dumb white man. But this guy just didn't find it as immersive.

Kotaku is really loving retarded and you shouldn't really waste any neurons on their drivel.

Atlus themselves even said the game was gonna have a lot of heavy japanese culture, a few of the other games have also had a number of heavy Japan culture stuff as well, no idea why its a problem now, maybe if it had been obscure meme questions they'd be praising it to the hills.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

actually super obscure questions that no one in the western world would ever know actually sucks.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Shinya's shirt kills me every time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I now know why there's so many enemies that resist/reflect phys/gun in Palace 5.

gently caress these robots, especially the grunts, goddamn Triple Down keeps destroying me.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

wizard on a water slide posted:

Oh also: (endgame spoilers) I don't know whether it's more awesome that Igor's weird deep new voice was a loving plot trick, or funny that they didn't cast the original US Igor actor to reprise the role at the end

This game is loving badass, though
I just beat it, and yea

i lost my poo poo when the real Igor showed up, partly because I remember at hour 0 going "Wait... did they decide not to give Igor the same direction he had in 4? Oh man, I miss the old Igor. I guess this is because they recast him or something." and, well, half-right. Still, it was one of the few things that Genuinely Shocked me, although I kindof expected a Morgana heel turn & was pleasantly surprised when there wasn't one.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Roobanguy posted:

actually super obscure questions that no one in the western world would ever know actually sucks.

press the touch screen and you shall see the answers to the question, this was likely put in so players who dont know much about japanese folklore dont have to guess or google it

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Kotaku is really loving retarded and you shouldn't really waste any neurons on their drivel.

Atlus themselves even said the game was gonna have a lot of heavy japanese culture, a few of the other games have also had a number of heavy Japan culture stuff as well, no idea why its a problem now, maybe if it had been obscure meme questions they'd be praising it to the hills.
No, you don't understand. This Japanese game can't have Japanese facts in it. What if it makes Americans feel stupid?

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
My biggest regret is that i bought the motorcycle set for Makoto but never actually got to hang out with her again after that because i was franticly trying (and failing) to complete all the other social links

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

press the touch screen and you shall see the answers to the question, this was likely put in so players who dont know much about japanese folklore dont have to guess or google it

what

FractalSandwich posted:

No, you don't understand. This Japanese game can't have Japanese facts in it. What if it makes Americans feel stupid?

its less Japanese facts, and more things where if you don't have knowledge of shogi you will never know it. stuff like the "Most famous thief in Japan," question is fine, because it's asked after you have gotten Yusuke, so you can intuit it from his persona.

having to google what the hell that shogi piece means sucks, but being able to put 2 and 2 together for Goemon is cool.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 15, 2017

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

this doesnt work during exams, however. learn these random facts as they come unless you want to be black-haired ryuji

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

last party member stuff goro's outfit also kind of resembles a male idol's, which emphasizes his need for attention and the whole 'more tv personality than detective' thing

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i know the shogi piece one cause i watched march comes in like a lion and started teaching myself a bit of shogi so i felt very smart then tyvm

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the persona 3 pack does not give the tartarus theme as an alternate theme for mementos. i am sad.

Lakbay posted:

Oh hey I understand the Goro and Pancake meme now :v:

hes a hungry man

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 15, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Oh hey I understand the Goro and Pancake meme now :v:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

reach42 posted:

My biggest regret is that i bought the motorcycle set for Makoto but never actually got to hang out with her again after that because i was franticly trying (and failing) to complete all the other social links

Delete your save imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alteisen posted:

the question is translated incorrectly tho. like regardless of whether or not obscure shogi trivia belongs in a us release of a video game, which is a topic with merit on both sides, the question isn't written correctly for what it's trying to ask.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The post Palace 6 plot dump also owns because it is straight up a scooby doo rear end wrap up for what happened

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Delete your save imo

i think i'm going to do a NG+ run, and this time I think i'll be less obsessive irl since I felt like so much of that first run was a race against accidentally spoiling myself.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

last party member stuff goro's outfit also kind of resembles a male idol's, which emphasizes his need for attention and the whole 'more tv personality than detective' thing

What I got from it is that his outfit and I guess overall mannerisms as a thief are just kinda overdramatic and a bit childish I guess? His weapons are literally toys and the dude is actually kinda immature in some ways. Or at the very least he never really got the opportunity to fully grow up due to his past and being unable to make connections with other people.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so does makoto ever get any physical skills past flash bomb

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

the question is translated incorrectly tho. like regardless of whether or not obscure shogi trivia belongs in a us release of a video game, which is a topic with merit on both sides, the question isn't written correctly for what it's trying to ask.

I dunno, looking at the question in Japanese (この字はある漢字の崩し字なんだけどなにか分かる?) it looks like it was just translated directly. If there is any inaccuracy, it seems to be there from the source, and not the localization.

And if we're talking about weird localization choices for the questions, the one where Kawakami literally asks about a Japanese word and then uses it in an English sentence is probably a better example.

seriously what is this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the tl is mostly fine after some initial weirdness but the classroom stuff is all over the place irregardless of whether or not jp cultural questions are a fair thing to keep in.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kakushinhan being a question is absolute horseshit and an actual bad thing they made no effort to localize tl or fix in any way. Thankfully you can just press the touchpad to figure it out, but it's still absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

I mean, it's a Japanese school and they teach you the answer, and you're given a method of cheating during the lesson, before putting the question on the exams later. You're not really expected to know the answer before you're taught it.