Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Pablo Bluth posted:

Perhaps it's coincidence but I've twice now, despite being a Canon man, had to rescue m43 EM-something-or-other owners who have turned up and not been able to participate in studio sessions. The first guy's EVF was going dark; I quickly recognised that was an issue of exposure simulation but it still took a while to figure out where to turn that off. The next time it was a woman who's EM5 mkII wouldn't fire the flashes or allow a number of other settings to be changed; eventually I found buried away in the menus that HDR had been turned on.

I'm all for all the toys they're throwing in to cameras these days, but I reckon Olympus need to work on their menus...

You won't find any arguments from me on that .. good lord it's awful. Panasonic is much better I've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I love my EM1 but the menu is terrible to navigate and the new model sounds like it's even more complex

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
I need a little help picking my next body. I am looking to upgrade to full frame, so I'm deciding between the a7ii and the a7r. I still like my Sony dslt, and I plan to just leave the beer can on that camera and have a wide zoom on the full frame camera.

I mostly shoot landscapes. Either camera seems like it would be fine, do I have a substantial reason to choose one over the other?

Once I have the camera, I was looking at getting the Zeiss 24-70, since I like that focal range. Is there a different e-mount lens that would be better?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oly menus are bad that's why you only use the super menu and nothing else.

Still leagues better than Sony's tho

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The problem was the super menu had certain functions, such as ISO, greyed out and no indication as to why. A note that 'This cannot be changed while HDR is enabled' would have cleared things up straight away. Or some sort of HDR symbol to show up when it's on.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I have very little phtography experience, but I've recently read a metric ton of camera reviews and the most consistent and largest con for Olympus seems to be the IA and UX of their menu system. The critique is like in every review. I can imagine they have some terrible designer that has dirt on the boss so they can't fire him.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

GEMorris posted:

I have very little phtography experience, but I've recently read a metric ton of camera reviews and the most consistent and largest con for Olympus seems to be the IA and UX of their menu system. The critique is like in every review. I can imagine they have some terrible designer that has dirt on the boss so they can't fire him.

more dirt on the boss?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

rio posted:

I heard that more bokeh is more professional so I don't know what to say about your decision.

If I want bokeh I have a 56mm f/1.2 and 90mm f/2 :colbert:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

8th-snype posted:

If I want bokeh I have a 56mm f/1.2 and 90mm f/2 :colbert:

I have just the 90, portrait work obviously, do you find you use both enough to justify?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

torgeaux posted:

I have just the 90, portrait work obviously, do you find you use both enough to justify?

Yes but I shoot weddings, events, and headshots professionally. I use the 56mm a lot in low light. The 90mm is mostly used for tight head and shoulders shots and when I need the reach during a wedding. I could totally get away with having just one but it's very convenient to have both.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

8th-snype posted:

Yes but I shoot weddings, events, and headshots professionally. I use the 56mm a lot in low light. The 90mm is mostly used for tight head and shoulders shots and when I need the reach during a wedding. I could totally get away with having just one but it's very convenient to have both.

Which do you find yourself using more?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

accipter posted:

Which do you find yourself using more?

The 56mm but I've only owned the 90mm for like 6 months.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

8th-snype posted:

Yeah, tight head shots is most of what I shoot in portraits, and I have no need for a second portrait lens. But I want it. What I really want is a decent long telephoto prime, preferably 300mm or more.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

torgeaux posted:

If you do commercial work and you're a prime shooter, you'll use them both eventually. I would use it with the 23 to have the 35-85-135 prime trinity for work.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I'm a heathen and get my 90 from the 50-140. I have tried to talk myself into getting the 90 (and I have talked myself into getting many many lenses) but I just can't justify it. The 50-140 is really good and the aperture is too close.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

rio posted:

I'm a heathen and get my 90 from the 50-140. I have tried to talk myself into getting the 90 (and I have talked myself into getting many many lenses) but I just can't justify it. The 50-140 is really good and the aperture is too close.

Well that works if you're a zoom shooter. 16-55 + 50-140 = awwwyeah

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

My GH5 review after using it for about 48 hours: Very nice.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Finally took my X-T2 through a test that would make me decide if I really liked this camera: shooting music performances in Austin. Where most of the time the lighting in venues around here amounts to 'We don't give a poo poo if you can see the drummer'.

The fact that I can shoot in ISO 6400 and push the exposure to +1.5 and +2 in Lightroom and the pictures don't come out as complete noisy fuckin' garbage? Oh yeah, this camera is going to suit me well. I still need a longer zoom lens but at least now I won't have to cringe at certain settings.

DSCF3033 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF3297 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
DSCF3317 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

rio
Mar 20, 2008

alkanphel posted:

Well that works if you're a zoom shooter. 16-55 + 50-140 = awwwyeah

I was tempted to go all zoom. Having 1.4 on the 23 and 1.2 on the 56, though, was a big enough difference for me to justify going with primes. And the image output of those lenses is just amazing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rio posted:

I was tempted to go all zoom. Having 1.4 on the 23 and 1.2 on the 56, though, was a big enough difference for me to justify going with primes. And the image output of those lenses is just amazing.

I gotta say, I haven't touched a bad lens yet by fuji. I was looking at the 16-55 but the kit lens is stabilized, light and sharp, too. I miss some third party choices, but Fujitsu stuff is just drat good.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
The 18mm f/2 is the only bad Fuji lens I've owned. The corners were trash on it even at f/8.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

8th-snype posted:

The 18mm f/2 is the only bad Fuji lens I've owned. The corners were trash on it even at f/8.

Is that the general review of it or a bad copy?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

torgeaux posted:

Back when I was getting my first Fuji two years ago I researched both pancakes, the 18 and the 27mm. I really would have preferred the 18mm's FoV, but reviews about it were generally along these lines. 'The only mediocre lens Fuji makes,' was a phrase I saw repeated many places.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I've personally seen two meh copies and plenty of bad reviews for the 18mm. Aside from size, the 27mm isn't that fantastic either. I did some comparisons to a 28 Nikkor and a 28 Zeiss C/Y a few years ago and was blown away by the differences.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

torgeaux posted:

General review. I have owned 2 copies of the 18mm f/2 and both had soft corners. It's a fine lens for social documentary or something but it's awful for landscapes. I just gave up and use a 10-24 for most of my wide angle work these days.

I found the 27mm great as long a you stopped down to at least f/5.6 tho.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I had the same experience with the 18/2 as 8th-snype.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:bandwagon:

quote:

Sonys DI department is probably scrambling around in emergency mode right now. According to a solid source, a truck carrying all of Sonys gear for the NAB show was stolen en route to Vegas.
https://petapixel.com/2017/04/17/entire-sony-gear-truck-stolen-way-nab-show-report/

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
https://petapixel.com/2017/04/19/sony-unveils-blazing-fast-a9-24mp-sports-camera-shoots-20fps/

hnnnngh

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Whoa. I mean, it's obviously aimed at a niche, but what a beast.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

I'm laughing at the 24-second battery life if you shoot frames continuously.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

bobfather posted:

I'm laughing at the 24-second battery life if you shoot frames continuously.

The new battery with 2.2 times the capacity as A7 batteries?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The new battery with 2.2 times the capacity as A7 batteries?

480 shots per battery, at 20 shots per second at full speed = dead battery in a minute of continuous shooting. Obviously this isn't really the case, but it's slightly reminiscent of Comcast and their terabyte caps. Yes, we'll sell you gigabit speeds. And if you use them at full speed continuously, you'll exhaust your monthly cap in about 30 minutes!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Their fancy rear end reveal video includes shots of the Toledo Walleye

go fish, bitch :coolfish:

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

bobfather posted:

480 shots per battery, at 20 shots per second at full speed = dead battery in a minute of continuous shooting. Obviously this isn't really the case, but it's slightly reminiscent of Comcast and their terabyte caps. Yes, we'll sell you gigabit speeds. And if you use them at full speed continuously, you'll exhaust your monthly cap in about 30 minutes!

It's probably 480 'regular length' shots instead of just firing it away.

From some first hand preview.

quote:

Sony a9 uses an all-new and larger NP-FZ100 7.2 V, 16.4 Wh, 2280 mAh battery. After my first day of shooting, my battery still had 30% juice left in the tank after shooting OVER TWO THOUSAND continuous focus action shots with a mix of E-mount and adapted A-mount lenses. NP-FZ100 performed even better on second day of shooting with 60% battery remaining after shooting over 1400 action and portrait shots.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

wtf, that's insane

Other than ergonomics and battery lifetime, is there any advantage to using a 1DX2 versus this thing?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Lens line-up, especially the Big White segment.
Tracking autofocus is probably still superior
Rugged build quality
A worldwide pro-tier support network that can be trusted
http://nofilmschool.com/2016/08/canon-olympic-sized-arsenal-rio-2016

The task facing Sony/Fuji/MFT if they want to displace Canon as #1, it isn't just building a better product, it's building the superior ecosystem.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Is that why they released the 100-400 then? Also could I strap a car battery around my waist to get through a sporting event?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mirrorless can work for sports, but yeah it first depends on AF speed and what lenses you're using. Some thoughts in no particular order from my experience with an EM5 and now an EM1, so I'm not sure how far this holds for Sony but...

Battery life gets helped out a lot if you disable things like Rec View (or whatever Sony calls the feature that quickly shows your shot automatically after you fire it), and use the viewfinder instead of the screen. In fact, just turning off the screen entirely is a huge help. Having to swap out batteries can be a pain, yeah, but at least getting extras from third party companies like Wasabi is pretty easy (and cheap) to do. So while it's not ideal, it's not the biggest pain in the rear end to deal with either.

AF performance on the whole with mirrorless isn't quite up to par with high end DSLRs as sports goes, but I really can't complain about it either. This obviously depends a bit on both the lens and sport, but I've never felt like the EM1 was really lagging or struggling to keep up. The 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro is a hell of a lens too so that certainly helps matters.

A gigantic advantage in sports with mirrorless is the same for mirrorless in general compared to DSLRs: There is an enormous difference in weight, which is a huge help if you're moving around and is all the less strain when the game or event starts running long.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Oh, the 20 FPS only works without autofocus engaged. It's limited to 10 FPS with AF on, so a high-end DSLR still has an edge there. The a9 still looks like a big step forward, and it's like half the price of a 1DX2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

DJExile posted:

Mirrorless can work for sports, but yeah it first depends on AF speed and what lenses you're using. Some thoughts in no particular order from my experience with an EM5 and now an EM1, so I'm not sure how far this holds for Sony but...

Battery life gets helped out a lot if you disable things like Rec View (or whatever Sony calls the feature that quickly shows your shot automatically after you fire it), and use the viewfinder instead of the screen. In fact, just turning off the screen entirely is a huge help.

Actually the viewfinder uses more juice because of the higher resolution.