Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ha. I'm broke and will probably never see any Jonah eps.

It sounds good though so that's a positive.

Ed Balls
E wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

The Ape of Naples posted:

Ha. I'm broke and will probably never see any Jonah eps.

It sounds good though so that's a positive.

Ed Balls
E wrong thread

Hi Trump thread poster. You can get Netflix free for a month, have you tried that?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Bobulus posted:

Also, this is a really random question, but does anyone feel like the opening theme song is shot like a on-stage musical number? I can't put my finger on why, but the way it's shot makes me feel like you could exactly reproduce it on a stage for, say, a live show or something, and it would look the same.

Absolutely. I think the mads new lair is basically set up like a late night show.

They've got a house band, the opening is big an elaborate, and Patton/Max does an Andy Richter over the commercial bumpers.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: Is Pearl's clone actually Mary Jo?

No, that's Rebecca Hanson, who also voices Gypsy now. they did a good job with the makeup and hair, though, it took me a while to work that one out.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ahahahahaha Are they playing "Creepy Girl" over the credits?

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

BJPaskoff posted:

Only watched two episodes, but for everyone who's watched the whole season, what's the second best episode? Because nothing can beat Cry Wilderness.

Star Crash has one of the single best moments in the entire series. Carnival Magic is a pretty great riff too.

I think Cry Wilderness is right up there for me though.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bruteman posted:

Hi Trump thread poster. You can get Netflix free for a month, have you tried that?

Do you need a credit card to sign up?
I'm sure they'll be somewhere at some point.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

ComposerGuy posted:

Absolutely. I think the mads new lair is basically set up like a late night show.

They've got a house band, the opening is big an elaborate, and Patton/Max does an Andy Richter over the commercial bumpers.

I've seen some complaints about this, especially the way the bumpers are done (or that's there's bumpers at all), but I love the hell out of it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Ahahahahaha Are they playing "Creepy Girl" over the credits?

Yup. So far I've heard the Wild Rebels theme, Creepy Girl, the Canada song, and The United Servo Men's Chorus music.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

The Ape of Naples posted:

Do you need a credit card to sign up?
I'm sure they'll be somewhere at some point.

It's been a year since I did that, they probably do. Or if you have PayPal maybe?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yup. So far I've heard the Wild Rebels theme, Creepy Girl, the Canada song, and The United Servo Men's Chorus music.

I'm waiting for Tubular Boobular Joy :pray:

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's also the song Joel sings at the end of Pod People "Clowns in the Sky"(?) when the mads are having their wrapup.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
What about the SODIUM.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bruteman posted:

It's been a year since I did that, they probably do. Or if you have PayPal maybe?

I can confirm that Netflix accepts PayPal.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Been watching the eps all week through the kickstarter, and I just love everything about the new series.

The one thing I'll say is that the season doesn't really have that totally inept move that was a hallmark of the old series. Nothing on the Coleman Francis level of bad. Most are boring/bad, but not unwatchably bad. This isn't necessarily a complaint. I kind of prefer the riffing on the more competent movies. Carnival Magic is the closest, but even that's kind of strangely watchable.

But each of the movies fits into the overall themes established by the series. The only one I don't really care for is Beast of Hollow Mountain. That one just didn't come together for me as a riff/movie combo. The celeb cameos didn't do a ton for me either. But the music bits and visual gags in the theater are top notch.

I'll be watching these over and over and over again though.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Alehkhs posted:

I've seen some complaints about this, especially the way the bumpers are done (or that's there's bumpers at all), but I love the hell out of it.

I think its great and really fits the theme of "Kinga wants to sell this thing".

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

So far, The Time Travelers is like, maybe even a movie I'd watch on its own.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah watching it for the second time and first with my wife and it's a decent movie and even seems like a fit for an outer limits or twilight zone anthology show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The robot visuals and dismemberments are really distinctive and done very nicely.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

It also has some of my favourite Servo bits of miming to the screen, with trying to pull the lever in the first scene with Danny; and the rocketship.

Jack Gladney posted:

The robot visuals and dismemberments are really distinctive and done very nicely.

Heh, I'm pretty sure that's why they even have Jonah comment on the robot assembly scene without it really even being a joke (other than the bots not understanding that it's a special effect).

I also enjoy Kinga giving Jonah notes for his performance on his ship's console during the open. If they get renewed they should do more with that, maybe change the text every ep.

Gypsy's got a very high batting average with her riffs. Now partly that's because she only does 2 or 3 an episode, so Rebecca can make sure they land, but honestly, I feel like they should just rotate the bots. Have an episode with Jonah, Servo and Gypsy. We don't need to have a 'reason' Gypsy's watching the movies now. The show being in widescreen, plus I think the new Gypsy puppet is narrower at her 'head', should make it less obtrusive anyway.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

I never watched it but I remembered reading a feature on it in the early '80s in a very, very old FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND magazine owned by a cousin. It played up the makeup effects on the mutants and androids, so when I saw they were doing this it triggered a wave of nostalgia.

Fun fact: Jonah and the Bots point out that Forrest "Forry" Ackerman makes a cameo in the movie - he was the editor of the magazine.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bruteman posted:

I never watched it but I remembered reading a feature on it in the early '80s in a very, very old FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND magazine owned by a cousin. It played up the makeup effects on the mutants and androids, so when I saw they were doing this it triggered a wave of nostalgia.

Fun fact: Jonah and the Bots point out that Forrest "Forry" Ackerman makes a cameo in the movie - he was the editor of the magazine.

I thought it was just a guy who looked like him. I only know his fatter old-man look from Sci-Fi Buzz on 90s Sci-Fi Channel Saturday mornings.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

^^yep it's him, he's listed in IMDB for the movie as "square-frame technician."

Bruteman posted:

I assumed it's the "liquid video" media thing that is Kinga's invention. They talk about it a couple of times over the first few episodes

Quoting myself but at about 34:10 into The Land that Time Forgot, they do a commercial bumper that explains the liquid thing:

"The God Monitor uses Kinga's liquid television technology, KingaChrome, to transmit images and sound in Moon 13."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Another thing I've noticed, the later episodes seem to have better subtitling on Netflix. The first few hosed up the theme song lyrics (most pedantically annoying was that they missed the "for" in "For Mystery Science Theater 3000!") but from about ep 4 on, they seem to be getting much more on the ball.

Edit: gently caress, I just realised the band's helmets and Moon 13's logo are meant to mimic the syringes/icepicks/whatever-the-fucks in Kinga's hair. And they're getting good mileage in the skits out of Felicia's inability to do accents (which, she really, really can't.)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 15, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Marjoe Gortner had the most fascinating life.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't tell is Meep Morp is a Steven Universe sufferance, or just a Justin Roiland character name.

I love the commercial breaks, even thought they're pointless, they're enjoyable, plus cool versions of old MST3k songs.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
What the gently caress, Cry Wilderness?

I love it so far. I think it really holds up and everything works well. The only casting complaint I have isn't even on them, but myself: I'm not used enough to Baron Vaughn's Tom Servo to easily differentiate his voice from Jonah's. I'll get it eventually--the character's not really different, just the pitch.

Good stuff. I needed something like this right now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I have the most trouble when Baron or Jonah are doing a voice for someone on-screen. Their own (or well, 'Servo's' own) voices are easy enough to tell apart, but when they affect an accent or pitch, it's very hard.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I can't tell is Meep Morp is a Steven Universe sufferance, or just a Justin Roiland character name.

I love the commercial breaks, even thought they're pointless, they're enjoyable, plus cool versions of old MST3k songs.

I think the commercials are meant to be an homage to local station bumpers, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnFpjl7942c

"Moon 13, the Moon" equating to "Channel 13, [insert your city here]"

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I honestly wonder if it would have been better with Baron as host and Jonah as Servo. At least, that's the impression their voices are giving me so far.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Gaz-L posted:

I have the most trouble when Baron or Jonah are doing a voice for someone on-screen. Their own (or well, 'Servo's' own) voices are easy enough to tell apart, but when they affect an accent or pitch, it's very hard.

Maybe that's got something to do with it, yeah. I didn't think about that, but since it happens (to me, at least) sometimes either way, it's probably not that alone.

I can sort of see some of the "over-rehearsed" complaints now that I've seen them, but I don't think that's a major detractor. Can't fault 'em for wanting to make it as polished as possible. If you're gonna gently caress up, I think you can do a whole lot worse than being so prepared that it's a touch unnatural. I've also heard from a backer I know that's been watching it for a week already that they all seem to sorta get into the groove of things more as it goes, which was good to hear since I personally didn't have many real complaints from the start.

edit:

Rollersnake posted:

I honestly wonder if it would have been better with Baron as host and Jonah as Servo. At least, that's the impression their voices are giving me so far.

If nothing else, that's a pretty interesting thought to entertain. You could be right, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bruteman posted:

I think the commercials are meant to be an homage to local station bumpers, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnFpjl7942c

"Moon 13, the Moon" equating to "Channel 13, [insert your city here]"

Yea that's what I guessed. As MST3K never aired in Canada, never saw those.

Starcrash is a movie I saw as a kid. it was probably on some saturday or sunday afternoon and I'd watch anything if it was sci-fi or fantasy. Until this I thought it and Ice Pirates were the same movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Watching a bit more, I think the bubble thing is, yes, in-story supposed to be air or something in the tubes for Kinga's liquid film thing, but in reality, I think it's covering them splicing multiple takes together.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Terra-da-loo! posted:

This movie is a fever dream.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

HO HO HO MERRY BIGFOOT!

(Rebecca's delivery on that freakin' killed me)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Cry Wilderness is the film equivalent of Wild Animus.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkOMAQAcBKE

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I was kinda bummed that I'd not seen any of these before, but it's probably best that way. I dunno if I could have tolerated them without their input.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I really dig the updated mobility and participation of the bots in sight gags. Having Gypsy in a more involved role's neat, too. At first I thought it was off-putting that she gets so few, terse lines, but then when I considered how off-putting it'd be if she were more involved I think they probably got that about right. The addition of a band's pretty cool in general. I like the bogus commercial breaks--at least they don't have the actual ads. Yeah, I like it.

edit:

howe_sam posted:

That's a good way to put it, and in that respect it's pretty Pod People-y. The total lack of concern for making sure the video quality of the stock footage is consistent, alone, makes it kinda surreal, but when you factor in the writing it actually feels drat-near arthouse. Not in a very pleasant way.

edit 2:
JESUS CHRIST, I POSTED THAT ABOUT THREE MINUTES BEFORE THE SONG AT THE END KICKED IN. WH--?! (edited again for the spoiler just for safe measure)

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 15, 2017

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I just finished watching this and I'm honestly having a hard time wrapping my head around this as a movie that happened. It's so bad on a conceptual level, yet someone gave them enough money for the ridiculous amount of animals on screen (not all of them were stock footage.)

Also, there's been a saying in movie-making for decades before this movie was made, "never work with animals or kids." Whoever made this movie was just like, "gently caress THAT!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

twistedmentat posted:

Yea that's what I guessed. As MST3K never aired in Canada, never saw those.

Starcrash is a movie I saw as a kid. it was probably on some saturday or sunday afternoon and I'd watch anything if it was sci-fi or fantasy. Until this I thought it and Ice Pirates were the same movie.

It aired in Manitoba all the time. At like midnight on weekends, albeit split between friday and saturday nights for one ep.