Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah but he didn't bomb them hard enough, also he didn't say "Radical Islam" while he did it.

e:

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah but he didn't bomb them hard enough, also he didn't say "Radical Islam" while he did it.

Plus, he was and continues to be black. As far they're concerned, that nulls and voids everything he ever did, unless it was a bad thing, in which case he did it twice.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
ISIS was on the decline before Trump was even elected and Trump hasn't really changed Obama's military policy against them but regardless we're going to be hearing from shithead Republicans for decades about how Trump beat ISIS.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Samurai Sanders posted:

He farted in terror?

edit: oh, the poo poo literally came out of him. Somehow I never thought of it that way.

It's because of the British toons in this thread. We're used to pictures of poo poo that look like, well, actual poo poo. Instead of, you know, a green jolly roger flying away.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

:perfect:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lmao

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is that pro or anti indiscriminate carpet bombing of the Third World? I know it's Ramirez but I could see it going either way

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jay Rust posted:

Is that pro or anti indiscriminate carpet bombing of the Third World? I know it's Ramirez but I could see it going either way

It's an edit (the original second speech bubble was "leading from behind") but yes the original was pro.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ramirez's primary problem with Campaign Trump was that he kept saying rude things, but I'm pretty sure he was just as mad that he didn't seem to want to bomb foreigners at that point. If there's ever a doubt whether a Ramirez is pro- or anti-war, just assume it's pro-war.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Like a lot of regressives, Ramirez believes that "masculinity" is inherently good. He also defines masculinity as Hard Men Making Hard Decisions, so any bombing must be a good thing because it is a Hard Man Making A Hard Decision. It's the same reason he's fine with ruining the environment or killing off social services or loving over the poor- those are Hard Decisions, and the people making them are Hard Men, so the decision itself is inherently and inescapably masculine and therefore good.

The fact that it makes his dingus feel bigger is just a natural side effect of all the good that is happening.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39584492

HAH!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Oh my god. It's the voice of Branco. He's exactly the kind of ancient, audibly-pudgy, terrified white guy I expected. He's hook-line-sinkered the underdog narrative and spends every other sentence trying and failing to lay a sick burn on liberals, or :ironicat:ing as hard as it is possible to :ironicat:. Two minutes of solid fuckin' gold right there.

And even he won't actually say he likes Trump.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've said it before and I'll say it again: As someone who is actually in outdoor recreation studies, Tinsley can drink himself to death yesterday.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Picnic Princess posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: As someone who is actually in outdoor recreation studies, Tinsley can drink himself to death yesterday.

It's not like he isn't trying.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I know this is all water under the bridge at this point, but it makes me as angry as always that we can spend $300 million to explode some patch of ground in Afghanistan one time but we can't guarantee everyone healthcare because that would cost money

ok just wanted to make sure this was still a thing we were talking about thanks for reading

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

loquacius posted:

I know this is all water under the bridge at this point, but it makes me as angry as always that we can spend $300 million to explode some patch of ground in Afghanistan one time but we can't guarantee everyone healthcare because that would cost money

ok just wanted to make sure this was still a thing we were talking about thanks for reading

Technically, most of that cost comes from R&D. It cost $300 million to develop, and the cost of each bomb has been reported at somewhere between $170,000 and $16 million each.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pakled posted:

Technically, most of that cost comes from R&D. It cost $300 million to develop, and the cost of each bomb has been reported at somewhere between $170,000 and $16 million each.

That's uh

Quite the spread

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pakled posted:

What

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

cheetah7071 posted:

That's uh

Quite the spread

$16 million is what I first heard when the story broke yesterday but $170,000 is what a lot of right-wing sources are claiming so v:v:v

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Pakled posted:

$16 million is what I first heard when the story broke yesterday but $170,000 is what a lot of right-wing sources are claiming so v:v:v

Tomahawk missiles cost between half a million and 1.5 million depending on the specific model and something like 10 billion in R&D. 170 thousand is a gross understatement and if it wasn't just pulled out of some sycophant's rear end then it was probably reached through adding up the raw material costs.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 15, 2017

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Pakled posted:

So $16 million.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

That definitely seems more likely since a similar bomb with a smaller payload is known to cost something like $15.5 million per use.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Is tinsley submitting comics from years ago? The art is suddenly better, there are other characters, and the talking points are from years ago.

Did he crack open a stash of unsubmitted old comics so he can go on a bender?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SomeMathGuy posted:

That definitely seems more likely since a similar bomb with a smaller payload is known to cost something like $15.5 million per use.

I thought those were for the guided bombs. Do you really need to guide an almost-nuke?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought those were for the guided bombs. Do you really need to guide an almost-nuke?

Welcome to the Pentagon.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm not in the mood for Tinsley's stupid poo poo right now. I'm really not.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Someone force Ramirez on a one-way trip to Seoul and THEN ask him if it's cool if we bomb North Korea.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

That Priggee cartoon better be made manifest some time soon.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Have they invented a word for what to call a strawman that's so nonsensical the term "strawman" is somehow too generous? Does Tinsley actually think that professor is effective at making any point beyond "I am a bad artist who needs to stop"?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Crazycryodude posted:

Have they invented a word for what to call a strawman that's so nonsensical the term "strawman" is somehow too generous? Does Tinsley actually think that professor is effective at making any point beyond "I am a bad artist who needs to stop"?

"Piece of straw"?

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

Wow, this just keeps going, huh? We're five strips into this abortion, how much longer can he keep it up?
Water bottles are a scam, ripped jeans are expensive, black people don't like camping. This is a middle aged white comedian's set from like 1991. Tinsley found a shoebox full of old dusty notes from three decades ago and decided to milk it for what it's worth.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It's actually worse then some terrible comedy bit. It's clear he's using camping as a standin for other, more racist, beliefs and he's making fun of the dumb college educated liberals trying to find some outside vectors of why large segments of black people are more prone to do things instead of sensible right wingers who know it's just how black people are. We're basically seeing the comic form of the a very drawn out dog whistle foghorn

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

The North Koreans refer to April 15 as the "Day of the Sun," in honor of Kim Il-Sung's birthday.

I'm surprised Ramirez is really that well informed.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cat Puke posted:

Is tinsley submitting comics from years ago? The art is suddenly better, there are other characters, and the talking points are from years ago.

Did he crack open a stash of unsubmitted old comics so he can go on a bender?

I've been thinking that too. It seems like there's a lot less duck in the void recently, and more story-like narrative. It's still racist and stupid, but with more effort. Maybe an editor has spoken to him?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think it's supposed to evoke that famous photograph where the guy is standing in front of a line of tanks.

Yeah that part's obvious. But what the gently caress is the analogy here? United came to remove him and he protested... so they beat the poo poo out of him and dragged him off the plane. They didn't just let him have the seat. So why does this show the tanks surrendering? It might make more sense if the situation was that they just let him have the seat with no fight. But that didn't happen and this makes no sense to me. I feel like the artist had a good idea and then didn't follow through. Or maybe don't throw the white flag in there and ruin the concept?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I thought the $300million figure for the MOAB was including the cost of the cave complex we blew up because we built that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

itskage posted:

Yeah that part's obvious. But what the gently caress is the analogy here? United came to remove him and he protested... so they beat the poo poo out of him and dragged him off the plane. They didn't just let him have the seat. So why does this show the tanks surrendering? It might make more sense if the situation was that they just let him have the seat with no fight. But that didn't happen and this makes no sense to me. I feel like the artist had a good idea and then didn't follow through. Or maybe don't throw the white flag in there and ruin the concept?

I think he's trying to make the point that the bad publicity united is getting is a victory for him, but yeah it's not great.

• Locked thread