Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Do people actually expect a Canadian internet comedy group to be professional Magic players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

TheMaestroso posted:

Do people actually expect a Canadian internet comedy group to be professional Magic players?

No just funny

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

- not too high pressure it seems, you can durdle and build bricks and ramp and poo poo

is that the format or is that just the people playing wanting to show off stuff, it's hard to tell with things like this, which is essentially a glorified ad for the new set

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mandatory lesbian posted:

is that the format or is that just the people playing wanting to show off stuff, it's hard to tell with things like this, which is essentially a glorified ad for the new set

It more than a little suspicious that their sealed pools have always had planeswalkers and other stuff they wanted to show off. Nissa against lily first match?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am told that prerelease packs are seeded to have decent rares in them, but almost every prerelease I've done calls loving bullshit.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

I am told that prerelease packs are seeded to have decent rares in them, but almost every prerelease I've done calls loving bullshit.

There's no way they're capable of this.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I wonder if someone could buy all 800 Druids from a small web store & move them fast enough to make a profit

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I was wrong about the new Gideon. It's not great.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

the outcome of a match between two streamer personalities playing with cards they've never seen before has zero relevance to anything

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

It's.....Fantastic?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

little munchkin posted:

the outcome of a match between two streamer personalities playing with cards they've never seen before has zero relevance to anything

well for LRR yeah, but aaron forsythe worked on the set (right? he works at wizards still i'm pretty sure) so presumably he has familiarity with the format to some degree

i just think he would gravitate to showing off more unwieldy things for showmanship, i don't even necessarily think the packs are stacked or whatever (tho i would not be surprised if that was the case tbh)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They probably could if they wanted to.

They don't care though and it's pretty evident where that rumor gets started.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Some Numbers posted:

That actually works if there's already an instant in the yard. :eng101:

I once successfully Namelessly Inverted a Tarmogoyf in Standard because my opponent ran it out on turn 2.

This reminds me that I never made that bad B/R dragon control deck using Nameless Inversion to help turn on Draconic Roar. :v:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

This would mean making a separate rare sheet that biases towards cards that they think are good (by what metric?), put in to a separate pile of packs that have to be kept separate from your normal production output, at around the right quantity for one single event. It's totally out of the question.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Spiderdrake posted:

They couldn't even get energy tokens in prerelease packs.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!
So what's everyone seeing as good value in this set at the moment?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

Can you go in to some more detail? I suspected that might be the case

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I assume you've done some testing since then?
If you're willing/able to say more I'd be interested to hear.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So if you discard a Madness card and cast it, does Shadow of the Grave return it? Or does the exile portion of madness block that?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

mattah posted:

So what's everyone seeing as good value in this set at the moment?

Above $5?

Bicycle Lands
G/W Gods
Gideon, Liliana, Nissa
Glorious End
Harsh Mentor

Maybe Glory-Bound Initiate

I'm probably missing something blindingly obvious but I'm not seeing a ton of constructed value here.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I imagine they have these things parameterized on MODO, but every time they try to make changes, they get insane unintended consequences in the software. Like they increase mythic rare prevalence by 10% but simultaneously make Gleemox legal in booster draft.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

It just kind of sits there and you never really have an option to use the last ability unless your opponent isn't doing anything.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

uPen posted:

They couldn't even get energy tokens in prerelease packs.
Yes, I said if they cared, not that they actually do half the stuff people claim they do.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

So if you discard a Madness card and cast it, does Shadow of the Grave return it? Or does the exile portion of madness block that?

702.34a "If a player would discard this card, that player discards it, but exiles it instead of putting it into his or her graveyard."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sit on my Facebook posted:

Can you go in to some more detail? I suspected that might be the case

It doesn't protect itself very well and the decks you want to play it in don't even really want to tap out on T3 to play it. The +1 isn't as good as it looks especially if you don't have a bunch of other creatures and Gideon isn't conducive to going wide decks.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The prerelease packs kind of did have better rares than normal, if you mean when they made you pick a color and gave you a seeded pack with an on-color rare. The set of rares that could be your on-color promo foil rare was pretty small and a large majority of them were strong cards in limited.

But for the actual random booster packs? No they're just normal boosters.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

BizarroAzrael posted:

Even without the exile clause, it wouldn't be the same game object that was discarded, since it went to the stack.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Even without the exile clause, it wouldn't be the same game object that was discarded, since it went to the stack.

drat, I was pretty hype to Shadow of the Grave all my Fiery Tempers too

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PJOmega posted:

Above $5?

Bicycle Lands
G/W Gods
Gideon, Liliana, Nissa
Glorious End
Harsh Mentor

Maybe Glory-Bound Initiate

I'm probably missing something blindingly obvious but I'm not seeing a ton of constructed value here.

I picked up 3 white gods for 2 a piece on pre-order, if a deck with white in it wants to go wide its pretty powerful. It also can turn itself on with its ability, so I feel its undervalued.

Harsh mentor is a little overpriced at the moment. Soul-scar mage is a good pickup for anybody selling them 1.50 and under. Glory-bound initiate seemed like a steal from anybody selling them close to a dollar but that dried up fast.

Combat Celebrant dropped pretty low and if any deck breaks out using it its going to be a hit. I don't think its good enough even in always watching shells but 3 bucks a piece is not exactly a huge gamble. The red god is also probably a little low considering hellbent is not that hard of a line to get to.

The black god is pretty high for being something that looks terrible. I don't think a 4 power menace is a good payoff for sacking a creature and the ability seems overcosted.

Glory bringer seems low but its also going to be a game day card so supply is going to be higher than normal for a rare.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 15, 2017

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I got a playset of Devoted Druids on my lunch break and pre-ordered the white cards that break them and a green God to try as a one of in some of my chord/company builds. Thanks for the heads up on the druids!

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Well that was a fast turn-around

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

im gonna defend mcmagic here and say that first looks at a card and actual testing are two very different things

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

im gonna defend mcmagic here and say that first looks at a card and actual testing are two very different things

It's also in response to a post where mcmagic literally says "I was wrong about the new Gideon."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

why are you linking page 63

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

What's up with all these -1 counters?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Injuryprone posted:

What's up with all these -1 counters?
It's a core mechanic for green and black?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Guys I've been playing Persona 5 for the past 3 days what's the take on this set overall?

Also is Glorious End the best red mythic in years?

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Count Bleck posted:

Guys I've been playing Persona 5 for the past 3 days what's the take on this set overall?

Also is Glorious End the best red mythic in years?

Well, actually, I feel that the best red mythic in a while is from
*turn ends*

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

It's also in response to a post where mcmagic literally says "I was wrong about the new Gideon."

yeah

mcmagic did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
mcmagic is innocent 2017

• Locked thread