Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

What?

Apparently, that's what realtors called non-bedroom, upstairs rooms in a house in the Midwest in the late 90's.

My house is 4220 sq. ft. and I have a Bonus Room, Family Room, Living Room, and Formal Dining Room along with the bedrooms and bathrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

No Rumpus Room? 6/10

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Blacula posted:

No Rumpus Room? 6/10

The internet tells me a rumpus room is a recreational room, like a den. I was imagining something far more neon.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WrenP-Complete posted:

The internet tells me a rumpus room is a recreational room, like a den. I was imagining something far more neon.

Yeah, the way I've usually seen it is that the living room has nice furniture for adults and guests, so the kids aren't allowed to play or hang out there so the living room stays nice like the pictures in the furniture catalogue. The rumpus room will be in the basement or the back of the house, and be a shabbier lived-in living room. The kids can have snacks, play video games, throw their toys around, jump on the furniture, etc. If it is big enough it could also have a foosball table, ping pong table, pool table, or air hockey table. That way the kids can be rambunctious while the civilized adults sip wine in the living room. In reality the rumpus room is way more fun and comfortable, so the livingroom basically becomes a museum only used when they have guests.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Apparently my entire house is composed of rumpus rooms, then.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

Apparently my entire house is composed of rumpus rooms, then.

Sounds like fun. Until you want to throw a fancy dinner party. Then everyone will judge you harshly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Sounds like fun. Until you want to throw a fancy dinner party. Then everyone will judge you harshly.

"I'm takin off my pants!"

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

bEatmstrJ posted:

The fun part is they make a big deal about taking shorter showers and letting your lawn die to save water and stuff like that when households use somewhere around 10-15% of the total water consumption in CA. Agriculture is like 80%
"gently caress your shower."
-The California Raisins

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/statistics/

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Effective-Disorder posted:

"gently caress your shower."
-The California Raisins

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/statistics/

I had that piggy bank :cool:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Yeah, my parents had a bonus room in their condo basement. They dug out a window well and added an egress window, and now it's a bedroom. I forget how much value that added to the condo, but it was substantial. It's got french doors, though, which I find highly annoying on a bedroom, but I don't care that much because I don't live there anymore.

That must be something that is state to state. The condo we just sold had what was advertised as a 3rd bedroom when my ex-wife and I bought it. Then, when my wife and I sold it, appraisers wouldn't consider it a 3rd bedroom because of the French doors and caused us a few issues selling it.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Should find a away to do this as well,

It would bring the room together.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How does a Bonus Room compare to a Great Room? Not as good?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FogHelmut posted:

A Great Room is just like, one dude's opinion, Man.

Like, a room where one's mellow can never be harshed.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Blacula posted:

No Rumpus Room? 6/10

No basements, so no. The bonus room is where Rocket League is so it's the same thing really.

FogHelmut posted:

A great room is usually just a giant downstairs area that is connected to the kitchen, living room and dining room.

A bonus room is basically a bedroom missing a wall. When the builders draw up the plans, you can usually have a house with a 3 or 4 bedroom configuration, for example. If you want a 4th bedroom, they put a wall across the bonus room, install a door and closet and now it's the 4th bedroom. If you stick with 3, then it's just a sort of big open area for whatever.

I bought a McMansion built in 2005 in the Inland Empire, ask me anything about goofy suburban living!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I live in San Francisco, and one of my clients at work has a house that he is building a 10'x10', 3-story shower stall in, with radiant heating in the walls so that his showers will feel like it is raining on him and the water doesn't get cold as it falls. I don't know how he got around whatever codes, it's permitted so my guess is that SF just doesn't enforce the shower thing.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I've heard of fire inspectors in SF openly sandbagging inspections of businesses who won't pony up an extra five hundred bucks for the inspector's time. The Police shake down bars and liquor stores for cash in exchange for avoiding ID stings and citations for beverage law compliance. et cetera. SF is corrupt as hell, it wouldn't surprise me if that guy paid his way to code compliance.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I bought a McMansion built in 2005 in the Inland Empire, ask me anything about goofy suburban living!

I have a tract home built in 1974 in Orange County. Ask me about having 3 full baths but my dining room is barely 10x10.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Ask me about buying a crappy townhome built in '64 in a ski resort town!

On a serious note, OP will make it though this fine and I am looking for the finished product.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Yeah, my parents had a bonus room in their condo basement. They dug out a window well and added an egress window, and now it's a bedroom. I forget how much value that added to the condo, but it was substantial. It's got french doors, though, which I find highly annoying on a bedroom, but I don't care that much because I don't live there anymore.

Millennial.txt

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

FCKGW posted:

My house is 4220 sq. ft. and I have a Bonus Room, Family Room, Living Room, and Formal Dining Room along with the bedrooms and bathrooms.

Couldn't spring for the Hot Chicks Room?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I lived with a boyfriend in his parents house in Ohio. They were fairly wealthy and had a giant mansion-like house, and one room that was roped- off, that his crazy mother rarely let anyone allow to walk inside. She called it her princess room, and it was basically a shrine to Princess Diana. White carpet, fancy velvet couch, hundreds of Diana portraits in golden frames, dolls that looked like Diana (so many dolls), Diana memorabilia, magazine covers, books, etc etc. But best of all, a gigantic clear glass grand piano with a gigantic picture of Princess Diana's face on the top of it, with the word "FOREVER". I'll never forget that room, i'll never forget how horrible his mother was, and i'll never forget peeing in the middle of her perfectly white carpet in that creepy room before I moved away forever.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Dr.Smasher posted:

Couldn't spring for the Hot Chicks Room?

Well, they were usually built in the 80s, and the chicks aren't so hot anymore.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I lived with a boyfriend in his parents house in Ohio. They were fairly wealthy and had a giant mansion-like house, and one room that was roped- off, that his crazy mother rarely let anyone allow to walk inside. She called it her princess room, and it was basically a shrine to Princess Diana. White carpet, fancy velvet couch, hundreds of Diana portraits in golden frames, dolls that looked like Diana (so many dolls), Diana memorabilia, magazine covers, books, etc etc. But best of all, a gigantic clear glass grand piano with a gigantic picture of Princess Diana's face on the top of it, with the word "FOREVER". I'll never forget that room, i'll never forget how horrible his mother was, and i'll never forget peeing in the middle of her perfectly white carpet in that creepy room before I moved away forever.

Well this sure is a post.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Was that how you :sever:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

I don't know if you're a gay male or a straight female (or what) and I can't decide which one is funnier.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Longbaugh01 posted:

Plus they really detract from the bucket.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

hell. yeah.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

FCKGW posted:

No basements, so no. The bonus room is where Rocket League is so it's the same thing really.

A great room is usually just a giant downstairs area that is connected to the kitchen, living room and dining room.

A bonus room is basically a bedroom missing a wall. When the builders draw up the plans, you can usually have a house with a 3 or 4 bedroom configuration, for example. If you want a 4th bedroom, they put a wall across the bonus room, install a door and closet and now it's the 4th bedroom. If you stick with 3, then it's just a sort of big open area for whatever.

This picture makes me want to slap whoever decorated/staged it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

This picture makes me want to slap whoever decorated/staged it.

Why, what's wrong with it? Other than it clearly not being a place where people live.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I know, right?

Where are the shelves dedicated to video game collectors editions? The sink full of dishes three weeks old? The stack of Amazon boxes you're going to throw out any day now, for gods sake! I mean, I don't see one bloody floor-pizza anywhere.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I know, right?

Where are the shelves dedicated to video game collectors editions? The sink full of dishes three weeks old? The stack of Amazon boxes you're going to throw out any day now, for gods sake! I mean, I don't see one bloody floor-pizza anywhere.

those are in the rumpus room you heathen

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Floor Pizza is added value and resale, it belongs in the bonus room.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

But, they're replaceable.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

stupid puma posted:

But, they're replaceable.

The energy efficient low-flow chicks that code dictates are hardly worth it.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

fermun posted:

I live in San Francisco, and one of my clients at work has a house that he is building a 10'x10', 3-story shower stall in, with radiant heating in the walls so that his showers will feel like it is raining on him and the water doesn't get cold as it falls. I don't know how he got around whatever codes, it's permitted so my guess is that SF just doesn't enforce the shower thing.

This sounds like possibly the worst shower design ever. Trying to wash yourself in the rain sounds perfectly lovely.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Coca Koala posted:

This sounds like possibly the worst shower design ever. Trying to wash yourself in the rain sounds perfectly lovely.

it's for loving, not washing

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't think the radiant heating is going to keep the shower rain water warm.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

FogHelmut posted:

I don't think the radiant heating is going to keep the shower rain water warm.

Yeah I would also assume the radiant heating is to heat the air, not the water. At 10 meters, a drop of water (depending on size) will be in the air for about a second before hitting the ground. Not much time for it to pick up additional heat from the air.

In a typical non Caligula shower the comparatively small confined amount of space can be warmed from just the hot water because the hot air isn't going anywhere. But when your "shower" is spread out at 100 square feet and 3 stories tall that's a large amount of air to heat, especially since the hottest air is going to float uselessly to the top. So I assume some sort of hearing system would be necessary to keep the gently caress shower at optimal temperatures.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Right, but falling through the air is how most drops of hot water lose their heat. So if the air is warm, the falling drops will lose less heat, since with a lower temperature difference the rate of exchange will be lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

And here I was, worried that we didn't have a good derail going into this weekend. Some results for "rain shower."

• Locked thread