Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dont be mean to me posted:

they'll do benchmarks to your bespoke wishes when you get away from windows xp
oh no i thought i was on windows 10 but i'm actually on windows xp???? how did microsoft trick me like this, how is this possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

anthonypants posted:

oh no i thought i was on windows 10 but i'm actually on windows xp???? how did microsoft trick me like this, how is this possible

you got super hacked

happens

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dont be mean to me posted:

you got super hacked

happens
i knew those "creators update" popups were too good to be true

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cinci zoo sniper posted:

all the big engines (i.e. ue4/idtech6/unity/cryengine/frostbite) do support either (or both). its up to developers to use them, not for engines to support them.

but why

i mean the game contents shouldnt really require a special graphics lib should they? why is it an option that game devs can even change?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

most "big" games modify the engines to a fair extent, and studios will limit the targets to whatever they feel is a comfortable breadth of platforms to support on launch

as this will almost never include linux, there is absolutely nothing to gain from testing/supporting anything beyond directx, as that'll cover windows fully

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

well yeah but like the whole os subsystem should be the same right? its not like theyre modifying the display/io/network abstractions or are they?

idk a lot about game dev, but it seems like theres not really any technical reason to limit an unreal engine game to one platform. it should work outta the box right?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

youre vastly overestimating how much give a poo poo game developers have

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Powaqoatse posted:

well yeah but like the whole os subsystem should be the same right? its not like theyre modifying the display/io/network abstractions or are they?

idk a lot about game dev, but it seems like theres not really any technical reason to limit an unreal engine game to one platform. it should work outta the box right?
remember when a bunch of games "broke" because a shitload of gamers are still on amd processors which don't support a decade-old sse instruction, and developers had to rebuild their games

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but if the engine supports it (in theory), like

idk i guess im oversimplifying in my mind, i just cant see how hard it is if you have a cross-platform engine & you make a game in it, why shouldnt the game work on the engine-supported platforms (assuming no bugs in the engine lol)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Powaqoatse posted:

but if the engine supports it (in theory), like

idk i guess im oversimplifying in my mind, i just cant see how hard it is if you have a cross-platform engine & you make a game in it, why shouldnt the game work on the engine-supported platforms (assuming no bugs in the engine lol)

because it's not like enterprise middleware where it's a cog you just take out of the package and slap in and build on, games of any significant complexity are actually changing the engine and development doesn't want to duplicate their optimization effort across a bunch of platforms no one uses

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
doom works with both opengl & vulkan just fine in wine, so really the lack of a port there is more so just :effort:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Sapozhnik posted:

vulkan rulez dx12 droolz

*looks at list of vulkan games w/like five games on it over a year after vulkan came out :sigh:*
could be worse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_that_support_Mantle

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

carry on then posted:

because it's not like enterprise middleware where it's a cog you just take out of the package and slap in and build on, games of any significant complexity are actually changing the engine and development doesn't want to duplicate their optimization effort across a bunch of platforms no one uses

the changes they make probably don't interact with the platform-specific parts of the engine, though.

it boils down to more QA for an audience too minuscule to be profitable.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pseudorandom name posted:

the changes they make probably don't interact with the platform-specific parts of the engine, though.

it boils down to more QA for an audience too minuscule to be profitable.

yea thats my assumption.

so maybe it works but it would cost too much to support it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

most Linux games are indie Unity games because Unity can export a Linux build with no extra effort, indie devs can't afford the Unity source license fee (and don't have the skill to modify the engine anyway), indie devs don't know poo poo about running a business, and they don't care about QA

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
weird seeing star citizen on that list

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
opengl is a portable graphics library in kind of the same way that html+javascript is a portable way of writing a website

there is definitely a broad core of functionality that works the same everywhere but there are also weird differences that probably shouldn't exist and also the exact set of extensions supported by any particular implementation is really really important

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

this is how i learned opengl exists

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
opengl started life as a software library for rasterizing 3d primitives on sgi workstations. the hardware accelerated nature of said software library was very much an implementation detail, and the hardware acceleration in question basically has nothing in common with a modern gpu whatsoever anyway. today it is a garbage fire that people been piling a series of completely different programming models onto for the past 20 years so that it can burn hotter and brighter. opengl implementations are insanely complicated and constantly second-guess what client code is doing, and successful engines interfacing with opengl will in turn use a very specific subset of opengl in a very specific way. none of these arcana are documented anywhere, it's all tribal knowledge. try to write opengl code without this knowledge and it will probably work, but it will be poo poo slow and you'll have no idea why. look up "azdo opengl" for the gory details, to the extent that they are documented at all.

vulkan is a hardware interface for modern gpus that is as thin as it possibly can be without being too specific to one particular gpu. it's easier to develop games for because the semantics are very cut and dried, even if the game ends up being responsible for managing and synchronizing the gpu hardware at a very low level (this is what game devs want, older apis like opengl just got in the way instead of helping). writing a vulkan driver is much easier than writing an opengl implementation because it's a shader compiler and some bits of standardized plumbing. so you might actually see a vulkan driver for amd gpus that isn't complete garbage.

dx12 is basically the same sort of thing as vulkan except not quiiiite as low level and also only available on windows 10. so idk why anybody would use dx12 instead of vulkan but i'm sure they will because gently caress the world

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

rjmccall posted:

opengl is a portable graphics library in kind of the same way that html+javascript is a portable way of writing a website

there is definitely a broad core of functionality that works the same everywhere but there are also weird differences that probably shouldn't exist and also the exact set of extensions supported by any particular implementation is really really important
also just because an engine runs on a whole bunch of platforms and apis it doesn't mean it runs well on all of them straight out of the box. that's like expecting a desktop game to run the same on a mobile just because they both use opengl

developers still have to optimize, test and debug for each one to make sure the game performs adequately everywhere, and they sure as hell ain't gonna bother if it's not worth the time and money to support

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea i know that those are graphics systems, but im talking about engines. and also idgaf about support

btw in my experience indie games are pretty much always multiplatform now. and who has a huge QA dept? its the indie game devs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

yea i know that those are graphics systems, but im talking about engines. and also idgaf about support

btw in my experience indie games are pretty much always multiplatform now. and who has a huge QA dept? its the indie game devs

their qa department is unity technologies, so multiplatformness means checkboxes against build targets. sure some platform specific codes to support your teledildonic inputs and vendor monetization platform, buts thats trivial.

if they had to optimised these games, or make them look as good as possible given specific hardware ceiling, they would all just map 2d "8-bit" "retro" crap (wait a minute...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i just dont see why a game that doesnt push the limits shouldnt be able to work on p much any platform

gently caress sake isnt the engine optimized?

i get the support/finance part of it, just not the technical part

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

there is absolutely nothing to gain from testing/supporting anything beyond directx, as that'll cover windows fully

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ah yes for all my personal computing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

i just dont see why a game that doesnt push the limits shouldnt be able to work on p much any platform

gently caress sake isnt the engine optimized?

i get the support/finance part of it, just not the technical part

engines are optimized, more or less, but not without issue, and the developers often don't help it, one way or another. just look up, for an example, community mods for nier automata that were needed to fix everything, from resolution to hardlocked lighting settings

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cinci zoo sniper posted:

engines are optimized, more or less, but not without issue, and the developers often don't help it, one way or another. just look up, for an example, community mods for nier automata that were needed to fix everything, from resolution to hardlocked lighting settings

yea alright

its just incredible that engines that have been around for more than a decade are still kinda crap

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

most game engines today are mountains of poo poo code piled on top of either quake or unreal

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

yea alright

its just incredible that engines that have been around for more than a decade are still kinda crap
the age is usually the problem. the ones i mentioned earlier are mostly new, alright, and developed by people who actually make games (i.e. everything except unity, where selling point is accessibility, tooling, and outsourcing everything, to a major extent). you can see the legacy issue clearly in unity, which is the textbook example of technical burden - decade old c# variant and mountains of bugs everywhere. all the developers do these days is bolt on new poo poo (dx12, vulkan, vr, etc) and fix bugs, the ~real content~ is what you create yourself, or what you are meant to buy through unity store

now some real hacky poo poo is creation engine (though it is made in a very specific manner, for very specific tasks, and at that it is better than literally anything else in existence) and warcraft 3 engine (which is the engine behind world of warcraft and starcraft 2; though the saving grace here is some of the best developers money can afford, at all)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh poo poo creation engine, i forgot

yeah okay i get it :xd:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Boiled Water posted:

ah yes for all my personal computing

the whole discussion was about gaming and dx12. i doubt excel uses many dx12 features

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

the whole discussion was about gaming and dx12. i doubt excel uses many dx12 features

isn't eve online getting engine update

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:haw:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

and they don't care about QA

neither does microsoft :xd:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

hehe

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

eve online is two games in one: excel and guard duty simulator

why the gently caress did I stare at gates for several years for "fun"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Wheany posted:

i doubt excel uses many dx12 features

have you seen what they've done to the Office apps since the mid-2000s to try to turn them into "tablet" apps

wouldn't surprise me if the next MS Office required DX12

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgADDXyWJEE

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
So, watching a movie, and get a notification to subscribe to onedrive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
animal mother is intrigued by the savings.

• Locked thread