Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Fedule posted:

You know what game had the best fishing? Breath of the Wild. Nothing but fun.

It turns out the trick to great fishing is to just not have a fishing rod.

I thought BoW missed out on not having a fishing rod, I also kind of liked OOT's fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Thunder arrow fishing is fun but far from an optimal, comfortable fishing experience.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
If your fishing rotation in BotW doesn't involve all of the following:

1. Stealth Armor
2. Ice Blocks
3. Bombs

then I don't know what to tell you

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

people start migrating out and intermarry with the machines, and then the second third of the game is a combo Spore/Sims machine/android interbreeding minigame, and then the last third of the game is using your hybrid children in an RTS to kill the sisters that spawned out of the flower 2B is hiding under her blindfold

It's a valve, not a flower, duh

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I was so happy yesterday when I realized that a new NieR game means a new TDI LP. He's one of the best!

I really don't care about the gameplay, I'm just in it for the cooky plots, crazy lore and TDI's writing. Drakengard 3 LP kinda made me feel queasy, but that's my fault for blazing through ALL OF THE ALTERNATE ENDINGS in a day or two on the LP Archive.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nier-is-being-reprinted-for-ps3-in-europe/1100-6449342/

Some Nier news for all of you. Looks like all of the Europeans who missed this game will get a second chance now that Automata's the new kid on the block.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's funny because Nier already got reprinted here and is easily available in Europe for around 30 Euro

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Good to see you doing a playthrough of this game. Your approach to this series has always been great, and I might've never played the original Nier if I hadn't found the archive of your LP. I enjoyed this game a lot and look forward to you- wait did I actually finish this game? Let's see there was Breath of the Wild and then I started playing Nier Automata and then the DLC for Dark Souls 3 came out and ah gently caress. I'm gonna need to stop by the liquor store today.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Fishing was MISERABLE in the original game. And if we’re being real, just about ANY game fishing is usually mediocre to actively bad. No, this is not an invitation to list counter arguments of supposedly good fishing mini-games. You’re broken in the brain and in denial just like those idiots who thought Blitzball was a good mini-game.

Man, it's a wonder TDI threads have such a spoiler issue.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Big the Cat did nothing wrong :colbert:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If your fishing rotation in BotW doesn't involve all of the following:

1. Stealth Armor
2. Ice Blocks
3. Bombs

then I don't know what to tell you

Huh, I either shot the fish with arrows or just jump in the water and grab them with your bare hands.

I like the latter because it kinda makes sense given the lore: Link hung out with Zoras as a kid

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

"So hey, how's the weather down there?"
:goleft: "No time for emotions, we must focus on the mission."
*returns to fishing*

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
[please no linking personal donation pages on the forums, even for other people, even for other people who are extremely cool and good and who frankly I think should have a couple bucks thrown their way. this is a global sa rule -fedule]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 14, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Under the vegetable posted:

I liked fishing in breath of fire 3 but I was also a child.

In Breath of Fire 4 I genuinely spend more time fishing then actually playing the game.

The same would have happened in BoF 3, but I got stuck in the desert a lot, so I think wandering-through-the-desert takes the time waster slot for that game, ha ha. :v:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The best fishing mechanic was in Fable 1, where you go 'gently caress it' and lob TNT into the fishing hole, loving it up forever.

It also featured chicken kicking, which is a great sport and a good minigame.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So our heroes, beautiful, dressed like the servants of aristocracy and armed with swords (and samurai swords in particular) go to beat up some red and iron-brown angular, clunking salt-of-the-earth working robots who live in a factory. They couldn't really make the imagery any clearer, could they?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Dzhay posted:

So our heroes, beautiful, dressed like the servants of aristocracy and armed with swords (and samurai swords in particular) go to beat up some red and iron-brown angular, clunking salt-of-the-earth working robots who live in a factory. They couldn't really make the imagery any clearer, could they?

I like how one of the Japanese trailers even used a red cyrillic-stylized font but for some reason they dropped that from the English version

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Dzhay posted:

They could have named the first boss Marx or someth- oh.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

better than the other time a video game named a boss after Karl Marx

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

What about that time Marx was a party member.

(Spectral Souls, one of the few parts of the Neverland Series that we managed to get in the west, the game is downright sadistic on all fronts.)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Well if you're in Japan, Fire Emblem got another Marx fairly recently:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Mzbundifund posted:

They could have named the first boss Marx or someth- oh.
Wrong one.

There are three of them, so you're obviously fighting the Marx Brothers. :v:

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

The Sandman posted:

Wrong one.

There are three of them, so you're obviously fighting the Marx Brothers. :v:

There are four major Marx brothers on film.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Under the vegetable posted:

There are four major Marx brothers on film.

Zeppo is an optional super boss, obviously.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XI: An Elusive Request

Music: Peaceful Sleep (Vocal)

Now that we’ve completed the two sidequests in the Resistance Camp, Anemone once more has gained the quest giver icon to advance the story. Let’s hit her up.

There have been lots of reports of dangerous machines appearing in the desert recently. This is very unusual, so it may be indicative of something bigger. Now, I hear you YoRHa types are pretty good at examining things. You think you can look into this whole mess for me?
<Help her>
Thanks! I knew I could count on you! I’ll tell our allies in the desert that you’re coming. Be careful out there, okay?

Off to the desert, huh? There’d better not be a million wolves out there. I can’t do that again...

We’re not quite going to do that yet. I know I said not to do sidequests until unlocking Fast Travel later in the game. But there is an exception to that. We’re going to beam ourselves back up to the Bunker for a bit.

Sorry, 9S. There’s only room for one in this thing. I’m going to suggest you acquire a stout catapult to make the return trip to the Bunker.

Music: Fortress of Lies (Vocal)

Oh... You’re already here, huh? Awkward... Apparently these terminals work by beaming 2B and 9S’s consciousness to a temporary android body that just happens to be identical in every way. Don’t think about it too hard. It’s a video game.

They just couldn’t help doing a LITTLE bit of completionist trolling. There is exactly one quest that only has the briefest of windows. It’s only available between reaching the Resistance Camp up until departing to the Desert. This is the second to last quest I ended up completing because hell if I knew it existed! It’s not like there’s much of a reason to return to the Bunker immediately.

The Commander is the quest giver in this instance. Let’s see what she has lined up.

We need your help improving the network environment between the Bunker and the surface. Doing so will allow us to carry out our operations in a more efficient manner. First, I need you to transport the required materials to the leader of the Resistance camp. I’ll have an operator explain how to obtain the materials once you touch down.
Yes, Commander.

Alright, quest received. Commander, I feel like you could have just sent an e-mail instead of making us go back to space to be told to go back to Earth and await instructions...

While we’re in the neighborhood, there is a secondary side quest available back in the Bunker’s Hangar. It’ll trigger as soon as we enter the room where the flight units are stashed...

Yes, but—
Thank goodness! My name is 16D. My instructor, 11B, was one of your squadmates in the assault on the abandoned factory. I don’t suppose she...
She was shot down during the battle.
I... I see... What a shame. She was the closest thing I had to a mentor. She was so strong and admirable... What happened to her body?
I don’t know.
I know it isn’t my place to be asking you for this... But... Well, if you happen to run across anything of hers, would you mind bringing it back to me? It’s not a priority or anything. Just if you have the time.
I’ll keep an eye out.
Thank you.

Negative. 11B’s black box has yet to be recovered.
She was shot down near the abandoned factory, right?

There’s the second sidequest for the Bunker – returning to the Prologue factory and retrieving a token from one of the dead redshirts in the intro. Sure, we’ll get that done if we’re in the neighborhood.

That’s all for The Bunker for some time. 9S, just shove yourself into a barrel and eject out an airlock or something. See you planetside...

Music: Peaceful Sleep

...How do you keep doing that? Tch. Whatever. Let’s get to work. Incidentally, I’m really curious as to why they have that PS2 rear end texture looking box right next to the save point that will undoubtedly get used the most the entire game. It’s not fixin’ to load a higher resolution version of that texture. It’s just that ugly. SOMEONE had to have noticed...

6O rings in...

We need you to collect the materials to improve the network environment. You’re going to need a rusty bolt, a small gear, and a spring. You should be able to find them on small-sized enemies. Once you have everything, please take it to the Resistance leader, Anemone.
Understood.
*sigh* I know it’s a bit of a pain, but good luck!
Target location data obtained. Marking on map.

Well, we’ve already got the Small Gear and err... a broken key? Didn’t she just say a spring? How do you get a spring out of a broken key? Whatever... we’ve got one already. We just need one Rusty Bolt. That shouldn’t be too hard to find considering we’re fighting rusty trashcan bots at all times

Like with previous quests, the map is marked with spawned enemies that possess a guaranteed drop. The mission zone is due north of the camp right next to the only Save Terminal we neglected to activate earlier.

As we leave the camp, Pod 042 contacts 6O.

Coordinates confirmed for location specified by Resistance Leader.
Understood, 042. Placing marker on target. The desert heat is going to make resupply efforts difficult, 2B. Please make sure you’re ready before you go.

Alright, got it. The desert is northeast of the camp. It’s nearly a straight shot down the road from the building we started this chapter on. But we’re gonna go clear up that first sidequest first.

Except... crap. E-mail. One somewhat annoying thing this game does is have a tendency early on to shoot e-mails 2B’s way just as we’re out of reach of a terminal. The biggest sin being the fact the notification will override voiced quest dialogue in some instances. And that’s just an unforgivable oversight.

Remember 2B had that other big sword in the Prologue? Turns out we can go retrieve it if we can make it back to the factory. Good to know...

New Music: Rays of Light (Vocal)
(You should listen to this.)

Following the stream we were fishing in the previous update, we’ll eventually come to a lightly wooded field with a derelict radio tower.

There are some boys raging at a wayward pack of Cheetos once more. Taking them out will unlock this Terminal, giving us Quick Save in just about all four corners of the map. Always handy.

A new model of machine lifeform, medium dudes, make their appearance here. As the name suggests, they’re the middle ground between the hulking armored guys with their machine battleaxes and the stubby guys with barely functional limbs. Being able to dash up to 2B and sucker punch her is their one big tactic.

It ultimately doesn’t work out too well, even if they did have a few levels on our Android.

Taking out all the machine lifeforms will *hopefully* (there is occasionally a drop that falls an awkward place that’s not retrievable, but it’s rare) drop the rusted bolt we needed. Just the one bolt and only one with rust. It’s essential it be rusty. Very technical reasoning is behind that. We grunts don’t need the details...

6O chimes in again...

Looks like you found all the necessary parts to improve our network environment. Nice work! You can conclude your mission by bringing everything over to Anemone.

Yeah, sure we can do that. But I’m going to have to climb this tower first and jump off it. Also that’s an unfortunate angle. There is, unfortunately, an achievement for looking up 2B’s skirt ten times in a playthrough. It was the very last achievement I got platinuming the game because I’m not a degenerate. Dammit, Japan...

All that’s on top of the tower is a chest with some upgrade materials and a nice view.

There’s a huge ominous bridge further north where the stream ends. There’s nothing unlocked quite yet over there. We’ll just remember the path.

Back to the Resistance Camp we go. 9S do NOT tell the Commander we were abusing our Pod privileges for this base jumping tomfoolery.

Music: Peaceful Sleep (Vocal)

These are the parts we need for our network structure, right? Thanks for bringing them over. It’s not much, but I have a reward for you. Oh, but don’t tell the Commander—it’s probably against regulations.

Huh. That’s not too shabby a reward for a brief fed-ex quest. At least for this point in the game. It was a bit trifling when I had over a million G and was Level 92 by the point I did this quest...

2B contacts 6O to report in one final time...

Copy that. Good work!
I see the Commander’s as much of a slave driver as ever. It’s like she was built to be as efficient and hard-assed as possible.
Aw, she’s not so bad.
A-are you serious?
Totally serious! The Commander actually lets a lot of things slide on the side. Like, did you know that she leaves piles of clothes strewn everywhere? The cleaning team is SO sick of it. Oh, and she never performs regular maintenance on herself. A lot of the “hard-rear end” nature you mention is just for show.
How do you know all this?
Hee hee! I can’t tell you that... Operator 6O out. *disconnects*
What the heck was all that about?

Look, 9S read between the lines... Not saying the Commander and 6O are space lesbian robots... But the Commander and 6O are *probably* space lesbian robots. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

So concludes the only really easy to miss quest. Tune in next time when we swing back by the Prologue factory and maybe begin the trek to the Desert. Be sure to pack a durable mask...

Video: Episode 10 Highlight Reel

Anemone Official Art – Always pack a tactical cape. You’ll live longer that way.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 15, 2017

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

The Dark Id posted:

Anemone Official Art – Always pack a tactical cape. You’ll live longer that way.

It's a really nice cape.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I guess since Pixar made that movie about a couple of robots the Androids have stricken the rest of their movies to the memory hole. Including the most important moral of any story ever.

NO CAPES.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Its a very large tactical towel

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

You can miss that quest? Lmao, obviously the first thing I did was see if the moon babes had new dialogue when I got the chance, so I aced that quest.

Ill admit to abusing the ladder a few times, but I never even considered just using the camera to look up her skirt since I already knew it wasnt a black hole to laugh at.

Capes are gr8.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Its a very large tactical towel

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was one of the few texts to survive the millennia.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The Dark Id posted:

Copy that. Good work!
I see the Commander’s as much of a slave driver as ever. It’s like she was built to be as efficient and hard-assed as possible.
Aw, she’s not so bad.
A-are you serious?
Totally serious! The Commander actually lets a lot of things slide on the side. Like, did you know that she leaves piles of clothes strewn everywhere? The cleaning team is SO sick of it. Oh, and she never performs regular maintenance on herself. A lot of the “hard-rear end” nature you mention is just for show.
How do you know all this?
Hee hee! I can’t tell you that... Operator 6O out. *disconnects*
What the heck was all that about?

Wait, I thought 6O has pigtails. Did you get 6O and 21O mixed up?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

golden bubble posted:

Wait, I thought 6O has pigtails. Did you get 6O and 21O mixed up?

She does, you can see her model. But her official art doesn't reflect it.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Hm. Where do bodies come to the terminals?

They have underground storage, but no magic logistic network, but in everything else - they are quite nice example of gameplay and story integration.

So, is there random Resistance/YoRHa logistics guy with wheelbarrow who refills the storage by hand?

Oh, about bodies: All android bodies we see in the wild are skinless. I suppose terminals just take appropriate generic body, cover it with synthetic skin in correct 2B shape and some clothing, pop it out and call it a day.

Edit: Generic, not genetic.

NHO fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 15, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

NHO posted:

Hm. Where do bodies come to the terminals?

They have underground storage, but no magic logistic network, but in everything else - they are quite nice example of gameplay and story integration.

So, is there random Resistance/YoRHa logistics guy with wheelbarrow who refills the storage by hand?

Oh, about bodies: All android bodies we see in the wild are skinless. I suppose terminals just take appropriate genetic body, cover it with synthetic skin in correct 2B shape and some clothing, pop it out and call it a day.

My friend's personal theory is that 2B and 9S are skinless like that, we even see our own bodies like that. We just see YoRHa androids as looking exceptionally pretty because that's what they want everyone else to see them as.

I think it's kind of a neato idea.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Oh, 11B. If only you'd saved your data at some point before the factory mission started you'd be in a shiny new body right now like 2B and 9S. Instead you're eating dirt forever :rip:

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

Oh, 11B. If only you'd saved your data at some point before the factory mission started you'd be in a shiny new body right now like 2B and 9S. Instead you're eating dirt forever :rip:
Must be those data caps again, killing people permanently.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The space lesbians per hour rate of Automata is off the charts.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
While you aren't wrong, I always assumed that line was gossip from the cleaning staff.

Also in that, there's probably a cheesed off squad of YorHa androids that have to clean up after everyone. Especially when they have to pick up the discarded bodies of units just popping into the bunker for a short chat.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

PBnJamo posted:

While you aren't wrong, I always assumed that line was gossip from the cleaning staff.

Also in that, there's probably a cheesed off squad of YorHa androids that have to clean up after everyone. Especially when they have to pick up the discarded bodies of units just popping into the bunker for a short chat.
When you "teleport" back to earth you use one of those save points right? I always assumed you went in to the bunker one in the opposite of how to exit the earth one, etc.

So everyone's just using the same few bodies in the Bunker. Imagine if you're late for an appointment and the save point machine had all the bodies in use. Ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Alavaria posted:

When you "teleport" back to earth you use one of those save points right? I always assumed you went in to the bunker one in the opposite of how to exit the earth one, etc.

So everyone's just using the same few bodies in the Bunker. Imagine if you're late for an appointment and the save point machine had all the bodies in use. Ugh

9S, meanwhile, is secretly one of the Animaniacs.

• Locked thread