Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Pokemon is 100% self-made difficulty revolving around you intentionally (not) doing certain things.

Nuzlocke runs have been beaten to death, but the main reason they make the game harder is by preventing Revive spam. On the flip side, you can trivialize any battle in the game if you have enough healing items to spam(assuming your team can take enough hits that you can attack between heals).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012

rannum posted:

Ah yes, the greatest of puzzles

Item Spam

I was thinking more along the lines of moves like Curse, Double Team, and Substitute with Leftovers, but X item spam works, too.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The best thing Gen IV did in adding its Safari Zone to Johto is allowing me to grab a Larvitar super early. That little guy is pretty rad.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 50: Battle Tower - Level 70

Inside Battle Tower

We're back at the Battle Tower, this time going after the level 70 challenge. We can start using legendaries in this one, but no one decided to give me one, so we'll just wait until next time. Let's see what submissions we have!

Our first contender is Ted Kord the Heracross (Google it), by Spatula City, sporting a very interesting moveset relying on Endure/Reversal, along with good dependable moves in Megahorn and Earthquake. Very very nice.

Next up is Go Nagai the Poliwrath by Blaze Dragon. Its tactic is to hit really, REALLY hard with Dynamicpunch. That's what most of its moveset is for. Waterfall is just there for some STAB, though despite it being a special move, its Attack stat is only 21 points higher, so it'll still do a lot of damage.

Ohhhhh, Gojira. Er, I mean, finally we have Godzilla the Tyranitar, by Solumin. Sporting a nice moveset with lots of coverage and even with a lower Special Attack, Crunch will still pack a punch! Though ironically enough, with all the heavy stuff the rest of the team is carrying, Godzilla won't be blasting foes away. It's got lots of dependable damage though.

These will be our first three, so let's see how they do.

Alright, good start Ted Kord. Up first is a Girafarig with Crunch, Earthquake, Agility and Baton Pass, holding a Gold Berry. Now that's a weird set.

That's more like it.

And of course they send out the one Pokemon 4x weak to Bug! Exeggutor has Giga Drain, Psychic, Explosion and Rest, holding a Miracleberry. So not a bad set overall. Shame it's too weak to really make use of it.

Mirror match already, that was fast. Heracross knows Megahorn, Earthquake, Reversal and Endure, holding a Brightpowder... waiiiiiit a minute, that's the set we've got! I don't like plagiarism much, Spatula City!!!

But let's see how it likes it!

Ah shoot. While Reversal doesn't need to have the Pokemon at 1HP for the maximum power, it just needs to be lower than 4.17% of the total HP, giving it 200BP, that translates to 10HP or less for Ted Kord. So instead, it's 100BP and barely misses the mark.

Oh well, Go Nagai can gently caress it up.

Second battle starts us off against a Houndoom, with Flamethrower, Crunch, Faint Attack and Roar, holding a King's Rock. A good attacker, but weak to a few things and quite frail.

Now I did screw up here, underestimating Ted Kord's bulk. And since I went first, I assumed I was faster than Houndoom. I wasn't, Endure has +2 priority, so whoops!

Godzilla is able to take attacks from this thing all day, so we'll be just fine.

Or it could proc a 10% chance and screw us.

Eh, it's still respectable damage, still good.

Goddammit Godzilla, guess Go Nagai is handling this then.

ARE YOU FUCKIN SERIOUS

Get this 10% piece of poo poo out of my face.

I swear Jolteon shows up when I'm having a bad time. This one is equipped with Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Hyper Beam and Roar, holding a Miracleberry.

Interesting, if you send out a replacement Pokemon that has Leftovers and isn't at full health, they get it! How quirky.

Ah poo poo it's a 3HKO, that Houndoom is a fuckin dick.

But then Godzilla is an amazing, wonderful creature and when you knock out a Pokemon, you don't take Burn damage! So we're good!

Oh wait there's still one Pokemon left. Blissey knows Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Softboiled and Counter, holding a Gold Berry. It could be annoying, it has 495HP after all, but its Defense will always be garbage. Watch out for Counter though.

Man, I wouldn't have OHKOed it anyway. Oh well, we didn't get too far, so let's try again!

Ah gently caress me the first Pokemon we face is a Zapdos? It knows Drill Peck, Thunderbolt, Hyper Beam and Thunder Wave, holding a Gold Berry. This thing is a problem, especially since Ted Kord is 4x weak to Drill Peck.

Godzilla can handle it with little issue, though Thunderbolt still hurts.

Well, we're switching. Vaporeon knows Surf, Blizzard, Shadow Ball and... Mud Slap, holding Leftovers. You know, I don't think there's a 100% good set in this entire tower, especially with Hyper Beam literally everywhere.

So hey, do you know what time it is?

DYNAMIC PARTY

Will this Blastoise with Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Hyper Beam and Iron Tail, holding a Quick Claw stop the party?

Nope.

DYNAMIC PARTY

Ugh, well with Umbreon, I know you're not. It knows... wait there are two Umbreon sets in level 70? This is the first time we've encountered that, the gently caress? Alright, let's see what it's got.

Okay, it's the one with Faint Attack, Shadow Ball, Moonlight and Toxic, holding a Gold Berry. I just checked and the only other instance of this happening is two Wigglytuff in the level 20 challenge. This Tower is so fuckin weird.

Ted Kord can take on the Umbreon no problem, but up against a Charizard with Flamethrower, Slash, Hyper Beam and Earthquake, holding a Scope Lens, Godzilla is a better fit.

And now Godzilla has met its match against a Hitmonlee, so we'll just leave it in.

Wait what.

Oh okay, you're Endure, Reversal, Mega Kick and Body Slam, holding a Focus Band.

THAT'S ACTUALLY VERY BAD

But let me show you how it's done.

We're holding our own. Here's a Venusaur with Solarbeam, Hyper Beam, Sunny Day and Synthesis, holding a Brightpowder.

Dammit, Ted Kord.

DAMMIT TED KORD

Oh this will be brutal. For them. Ursaring has Hyper Beam, Earthquake, Slash and Thunderpunch, holding a Scope Lens. It can definitely hurt, but it's slow as poo poo.

I will abuse this Ursaring for my own ends.

Ahahahahahahaha

Oh hey, we've got one of those. Tyranitar knows Crunch, Rock Slide, Earthquake and Hyper Beam, holding Leftovers. Hey waiiiiiit a minute, did you lift this set as well, Solumin???

The Tyranitar isn't a problem, but this Houndoom is gonna be.

Even knowing its faster than Ted Kord, I left it in and went for Reversal. That didn't knock it out, so I just died the next turn. Still, Go Nagai has no problem.

Ah gently caress, the really good set we've been using is really good against us too. Even at +6, it survives a Dynamicpunch just fine.

gently caress you Spatula City for your really good set.

Okay, we've done around seven matches, so let's switch it up a bit. Let's meet the new team members.

Guess people really like Houndoom. This is Blue Flame, by Some Numbers and it's totally different to the level 30 Houndoom. It has Fire Blast and Crunch instead of Flamethrower and Double Team. Totally different!

Oh another repeat, this is Bulk the Snorlax by Jade Rider. In fairness, they did submit this one first, but instead of a Belly Drum and Return set, this is a bigger wall with Curse and Body Slam. Hey, if you have a problem with repeats, blame the thread, I'll happily use anything.

SPARKLE SPARKLE. Wait, that's not the best matchup. Gyarados knows Surf, Thunderbolt, Hyper Beam and Roar, with a Brightpowder. Yep, that's a mostly special moveset with 100 less Special Attack compared to Attack. I didn't even know Gyarados could learn Thunderbolt! I also didn't notice the timestamp, hey there.

You're not getting far with this crit.

While this set is a bit of a slow burner compared to the Belly Drum set, it is ridiculously more dependable. After enough boosts, you just don't die, since you have good special bulk anyway.

Let's just keep being awesome.

Oh wait poo poo it has Roar. I wondered why I went first.

That was a crit Hydro Pump in the sun.

Yaaaaaaaay. Although it's gonna be slow going.

Well that went well.

While there's a couple of setbacks, Ted Kord is doing just fine.

Ooh it's a Snorlax with Shadow Ball, Earthquake, Rock Slide and Blizzard, holding Leftovers. Why no STAB? There's usually one STAB move somewhere.

Admittedly I should've read up on Reversal before recording, since I didn't realize it scaled really quickly at really low % of health. Like unless you're 35% or less, it's 40BP.

Bulk is reliable. Bulk is strong.

Exeggutor always has a rough time with matchups.

Why Fire Blast, why

Now this is a first, Psypoke doesn't even have a Mr. Mime set listed.

Not that it even did anything. Well, let's make a moveset for it, uh, Psychic, Mud Slap, Shadow Ball and Ice Punch, holding Brightpowder. Sure, whatever.

Ah gently caress one of these. Let's switch.

Now I've boosted loads and I'm getting low on health. What can I do to fix that?

Let's play

That took 17 seconds to scroll. Why yes, there is a Blissey in the level 100 challenge.

Quagsire has Surf, Earthquake, Sludge Bomb and Iron Tail, with a Miracleberry.

Cool

Oh yeah, Blue Flame's got this.

Er, Bulk's got this.

Bulk's got this?

Bulk's got this.

Bulk's got this???

BULK'S GOT THIS

Oh hey this is the other Umbreon set, Faint Attack, Shadow Ball, Psychic and Moonlight, holding a Gold Berry. I don't know why they gave it two sets.

Alright, nice nice.

Alright, the only Focus Band activation the entire run!

And then of course the opponent gets one, can't have an imbalance!

Alright, last trainer.

wat

And there's just no contest, we're all done! Only Pokemon we didn't encounter was a Primeape with Cross Chop, Rock Slide, Ice Punch and Thunderpunch, holding a Quick Claw.

Wonderful. So that's it, just one more run of the Battle Tower to go. But that'll be for a little while yet, cause we're heading back to HGSS next time.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
YAY BLUEFLAME!!! :swoon:

Edit: Also, Ted Kord is goddamn inspired nickname.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 29, 2017

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Glad Bulk worked out for you!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Godzilla!! Of course I didn't plagiarize that move set, it had roar instead of hyper beam :colbert:

nah I totally did

Did I mention I'm glad you're doing this part of the game? I've always been terrible at the various Battle Facilities, so this is mostly new content for me.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 50.5: A Second Slice of Excellent Kanto (HGSS)

Celadon City

Welcome back to HGSS, hey it's that guy we forget about all the time.

: Guess what? That Sound Designer over there showed me something cool. It's a hi-tech, retro machine to listen to music from the Game Boy! He said he'll give it to anyone who has collected all of the Kanto Badges. Why don't you go for it, Kotone? See ya!

Is he implying he already has all the Kanto badges? How did he get to Kanto anyway? ...how strong is that Marill?

: I am the President here. We are remaking an old game, but it is quite a challenge. Old fans would not want us to mess with their good memories... but there is no point in just redoing the same thing, right? We are working towards something that brings back memories, yet is also completely new! I've been in this business for 20 years now, but creating a game is always a rewarding challenge!

There's a few small things to do in Celadon if you keep an eye out.

: Huh? You talking to me? Your eyes...are on my Crasher Wake mask? No, no, no! I can never let it go! ...Huh? That's not it? You want the other mask? Hmm. OK.

: What? That's not enough? You're quite a negotiator for your age... All right, I'll give you this too!

: ... Arrr, all right, all right! I will give you this much-valued one as well!

: Presents for you from the one who wears masks the best. Don't be shy. Ha ha ha!

Until next time Wake, I mean, uh, Crasher Wake. Let's see who else is around.

: I never dreamed of such a wonderful thing. After a strict diet during training, I can eat like a HIPPOWDON. The winner eats for free, too. That's just a dream come true!

The Game Corner is the same as Goldenrod's, still got Voltorb Flip and Mr. Game. I didn't feel like playing all the way to here in my Japanese HeartGold, so here is what the place looks like before the censoring and that. It's looks different, but the slots are the same, so it's whatever.

Pokemon Gym

The censoring got the pervy old man too! Oh no!

The Celadon Gym looks a little different and has little structures similar to the ones in the Ruins of Alph. It's not a tough puzzle.

: It's so pleasant... I'm afraid I might doze off... My name is Erika. I am the Leader of the Celadon Gym. ...Oh? You are from Johto, you say? How nice... Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you wished to challenge me. I know. I have been training myself on not only flower arrangement but also Pokémon battle. I shall not lose.

Gym Leader Battle (Kanto)

Erika is definitely an interesting fight. Due to how weak Grass usually is, it won't be too tough, but it will be tricky.

Espeon was definitely not the best choice.

Both Jumpluff and Victreebel are pretty fast, so they can rack up a lot of damage pretty quickly. But you can probably see what the main strategy of this battle is.

Hmm, SolidSnake ain't winning this fight.

Sizzle cleans up and VeggieWrap goes after his child.

It goes about as well as you'd expect.

Are we gonna take down this Jumpluff?

No, of course not.

Let's see how we do against Erika's ace.

Hrm. For whatever reason, despite three of Erika's Pokemon having Sunny Day and all of them having Chlorophyll, we're only just now seeing this strategy. I would've thought they would prioritize getting the weather up, since it helps a lot. Especially since Bellossom used Syntheis before Sunny Day, like come on AI.

Again, Sizzle is a lifesaver. Now let's finally take down this goddamn Jumpluff.

Man this thing is a pain to take down.

Alright, good use of your final turn, I guess.

Pokemon Gym

: You are remarkably strong... I shall give you the Rainbow Badge...

: Please, I wish you to have this TM19 as a special token. It is Giga Drain. It is a wonderful move that drains half the damage it inflicts to heal your Pokémon. It is indeed a horrifying move.

: But knowing that there are strong Trainers spurs me to do better...

Fuchsia City

We're heading immediately to Fuchsia City, since the surrounding routes are good training as Gym Leaders are still around 5-10 levels higher than us.

"my dad decided to run the Pal Park!"

: It seems that catching and releasing Pokémon runs in my family.

Pal Park?

wat. how.

: This is where top-notch Trainers who aren't satisfied with the Safari Zone come to show their Pokémon-catching techniques to their peers. ...Oh? Are you maybe... Ah, you are Kotone! My dad told me about you! Word is, you're a hotshot Trainer! We'd be honored if you would participate in our Catching Shows.

Uh, sure?

: You'll need to stock us with six Pokémon to participate. You should make some Pokémon migrate from Hoenn or another region!

The Pal Park is a pretty nifty area that lets you transfer Pokemon from Gen 3 up into Gen 4. Unlike DPP's Pal Park, which you could only use once every 24 hours, HGSS's Pal Park can be used all day erry day, so use that if you want to transfer stuff up. Once you move six in, you then run around a small area with different biomes and catch the Pokemon you moved up. It's pretty quick, but can get a bit tedious after a while. Also, between the 5 Gen 4 games and various events and whatnot, you can complete your Pokedex without needing to use this facility. So I won't.

Pokemon Gym

It's Janine time, maybe this time she'll have Pokemon higher than level 40. We can dream right?

We have actual invisible walls, but the layout and gimmick is the same.

However, in a neat little twist, Janine is actually in the centre of the Gym, where before she was in the bottom left. If they intentionally did that, then that's real neat.

: I'm only joking! I'm the real deal! Janine of Fuchsia Gym, that's me!

Okay, her team is better, I guess. Her second Weezing became a second Ariados and everything's been bumped up by 10-15 levels, which is definitely an improvement. Aside from that, it's not too amazing.

That's about all that Crobat is doing.

Silly Weezing, attacking my special wall with your special attacks. Should've gone boom instead.

Alright, which Araidos is this?

Ah good, the one that can't damage me cause it doesn't have Night Shade. Good waste of a healing item too.

Well this seems like hell.

Ah goddammit

Out with you.

The last Ariados won't be a problem, since it doesn't have Psychic.

That was a poor decision on your part.

This is one thing the remake changed for the worst. UGH

But Sizzle is doing just fine.

Pokemon Gym

"Elite Four, to come here."

: No wonder you are strong! You've definitely won... Here's the Soul Badge. Take it.

: It's Poison Jab, a powerful Poison-type move that may poison its victim.

: I want to become much better than both my father and you!

Route 14

Dum de dum, hey what's that thing over there?

Well that was a bit random.

Eusine's Theme

: Having followed it here, I'm starting to understand what SUICUNE is after. To be honest, I would like to keep this information to myself. But I want to be an honest Trainer in front of SUICUNE! That's why I am sharing a clue with you. It seems that...

: ...Somewhere north. I don't know exactly where, yet. It will be just you and me! Who'll find it first? I challenge you!

Hmm, well, any ideas? The fact that Suicune can be found on Route 14 is a bit weird. The last time we saw it was in Vermillion and got the clue that... it liked water. I mean, Route 14 is an alright candidate, but you might think of the water routes around Cinnabar. There's also the windmills, but if this is the first time playing the game, you won't know the windmills are there.

: It's CHANSEY, of course! I say CHANSEY, and that's final! I will give you something good if you can bring my CHANSEY!

Since you can find Old Amber at the Ruins of Alph, the Chansey-Aerodactyl trade isn't necessary, so instead this is where you can get the Lucky Punch. No, not the Lucky Egg, that would just be useful.

Pokemon Gym

Oh hey look it's Gym time again. Head to this teleporter...

And you're at the Leader already. Though make sure to fight all (four) of the trainers.

: Three years ago I had a vision of your arrival. You're after my Badge. I don't enjoy battling, but it's my duty as a Gym Leader to confer Badges on anyone who has proven his- or herself worthy. Since you wish it, I will show you my psychic powers!

Sabrina's got an interesting new outfit on, I do think the circlets are a bit too big and dumb looking, but that's just how things are I guess.

As I've used an Espeon for this entire playthrough, I know they hurt like crap, especially when they crit.

No stop that

SolidSnake is here to save the day.

Okay, go straight to your ace and make it hard to kill, it's cool.

Seems easy enough to deal with, just gotta hope it stays asleep.

Ow

I hate all these goddamn healing items.

But now that the Reflect is gone...

I, uh, still die anyway. Oh well!

My crunches will still do a lot of damage.

Well I guess it means she won't use them on her final Pokemon.

Okay phew, that saved a lot of time.

Ah, seeing your own defeat I see.

That's not gonna save you.

Oh yeah, the Reflect is still up. Well give it a minute!

I do not want to imagine what that looks like.

Oh yes indeed, time to end this.

A tough one, but now we've only got 2 more to go.

Pokemon Gym

: Maybe it isn't possible to fully predict what the future holds... OK, you win. You earned yourself the Marsh Badge.

"power is beyond my psychic ability.

: You deserve this. Please take this TM, too!

"and the target."

: You will become a celebrated and beloved Champion! Your love for your Pokémon smashed my psychic abilities. The ability to love, I think, is some kind of psychic ability...

To finish up this update, let's finally clear up this sidequest, since we're on a hill near water, where Suicune loves to be the most.

Eusine's Theme

: ...As I predicted. .................. ...Go ahead. Since I met you in the Burned Tower at Ecruteak City, I've sort of known that SUICUNE will choose you. Take a look at it! SUICUNE is waiting for you. It has been waiting for a battle with a worthy Trainer to whom it can entrust itself!

Well if you don't mind...

VS Suicune

Like in Crystal, Suicune will eventually become a stable catch after encountering it a number of times. Unlike Crystal, it will head back to the Burned Tower if you accidentally knock it out (after beating the Elite Four).

Hmm, maybe VeggieWrap wasn't the best choice out first.

If I freeze it, then bonus.

Getting it to sleep is a bit of a bitch, but Wol's special bulk is just really useful.

My continuous 7% chances pay off, though with an Ultra Ball, it drops down to a 4.5% chance. So bring lots of Dusk Balls! (Or Timer Balls after 30 turns)

: I have never seen a battle this intense! I have no regrets... Farewell, SUICUNE! Farewell...Kotone!

That's it for Eusine's story in Gen 4.

And that's it for this update. Next time, it's back to Crystal for the last of the legendaries. Ah poo poo I've ran out of ways to put this off...

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 19, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I forgot some of the Sinnoh leaders cameo here.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 51: Leftover Legends

Dragon's Den

Welcome back to Pokemon Crystal. With Kanto all done and dusted, there's just a few things left to do in Johto. Nothing big to compromise an update by itself, just a few things here and there.

"training here."

: He is much like CLAIR when she was younger. It is a little worrisome...

: ...No, I won't battle you now... My POKéMON aren't ready to beat you. I can't push them too hard now. I have to be disciplined to become the greatest POKéMON trainer... ... Whew... Learn to stay out of my way...

Well some things about him won't change, but he's learning. He's getting there! Now that we've made it to Mt. Silver, we can quickly head to Route 26 for a fast way back to Kanto. After all, Terran is at the Dragon's Den on Tuesday and Thursday. But on Monday and Wednesday?

Rival Challenge

: You're going to take the POKéMON LEAGUE challenge now? That's not going to happen. My super-well-trained POKéMON are going to pound you. MARINA! I challenge you!

Final Rival Battle :siren: VS Rival Terran :siren:

An interesting choice of music for the final Rival battle. But it's kinda fitting, since Terran's team is on Lance's level.

But since we've gone through all of Kanto, so are we, so this fight won't be particularly difficult. I could've done this a lot sooner, but I like Terran's overall story arc a hell of a lot better than his Pokemon choices, so I didn't care that much.

Terran's team overall tends to have one good attacking move to note per set, so unless they go for that, they won't be doing much.

Mothra's out for blood.

O-okay?

I mean, he could've attacked, by I guess not?

I wasn't really expecting to one shot the Magneton, but I guess Jeremiah is just a monster.

I mean, I get why you did that. But it makes you look like a right idiot.

Okay, last one, so Helios is ready to take him out.

Ah, I have been bamboozled.

It does over 50% anyway, neat. And this is Alakazam's only attacking move.

Because I'm using Fly, it burns a lot of Reflect turns. So no matter how much it recovers, it's gone when Reflect is down.

: OK--I lost...

: I... I have to think more about my POKéMON... Humph! Try not to lose!

Terran, I like ya, but man your team needs some work. Maybe in the remake, eh?

New Bark Town

It's always about money. Let's see how much we've saved throughout our entire adventure.

Nearly 100k! That's pretty good. We'll be making use of it for the final battle, cause what else are we gonna do with it?

Our MOM's also bought all the dolls we can get, but that's a bit boring, so let's hack the rest of them in!

What we can get from our MOM is just a small fraction of the various room decorations in the game. But how to get all of this stuff? Well, that's what Mystery Gift is used for. Every time you use Mystery Gift, you're randomly given an item, or a room decoration, with 71 different things to get (34 items and 37 decorations). All items are divided into 4 categories, with Common having a 5% chance of being obtained, Uncommon with a 1% chance, Rare with a 0.2% chance and Very Rare with a 0.1% chance.

Do note that 3 very rare decorations are only able to be drawn when you Mystery Gift with Pokemon Stadium 2. One nasty restriction with Mystery Gift is only being able to use it with a unique user once and five unique people daily. So yeah, you're never going to get all the decorations, it's just too tedious to do.

Beds are pretty rare, with both the Pink and Polkadot being Uncommon. The Pikachu Bed is only available through Stadium 2 and is therefore Very Rare.

Carpets are all Rare, having a 0.2% chance of being obtained.

There are only 3 plants, but the Jumbo Plant is Rare, with the other 2 are Uncommon.

You can also replace the Town Map! The Pikachu poster is Rare, while the other 2 are Common.

I thought there was something missing in front of the TV. The Super NES is Common, the NES and Nintendo 64 are Uncommon and the Virtual Boy is Rare.

Finally, we have all of the Dolls. All of them. They're in all four categories and will be the most common item you'll find through Mystery Gift. The Unown and Tentacool are only available through Stadium 2 for whatever reason and are Very Rare. The Big Lapras and Surfing Pikachu dolls are also Very Rare, but don't require Stadium 2.

The Silver and Gold Trophy are obtained a bit differently, though still from Stadium 2. If you clear the Gym Leader Castle and trade them to a Gen 2 game, they'll hold a Normal Box if they were used in Round 1, and a Gorgeous Box if they were used in Round 2. Open them up and you'll get a Silver and Gold Trophy, respectively. I've learnt so much about Gen 2 during this LP.

With everything available, you can customise your room a fair bit, though none of the items do anything.

Everything is apparently adorable.

Now I can replicate my irl room. Anyway, we're done with our room forever, so let's evolve some more Pokemon over here.

Route 37

...alright goddammit let's finally catch these stupid roaming Pokemon. I've been putting this off as long as I can cause doing this just sucks. Only in Gen 4 and 5 have roaming Pokemon been done in any way competently. So let's get into the nitty gritty.

To begin with, you'll be doing this a lot. Because you actually need to find them first to add them to your Pokedex! Route 37 is good because the border of Ecruteak is only three spaces away, so you can hop between locations and move the roamers really quickly.

You might be surprised to learn I used a cheat code to encounter them in the wild. But I'll only be catching the real deals.

Now that we've seen them, we can finally track them. That's the big hurdle you need to overcome before you can ever start, since you can't track the drat things until you happen to encounter them in the wild first. gently caress that.

Up and down, up and down, god I regret making this LP soooooooooooooo much right now, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate.

Man, they're just not coming over here. Let's try and fix that.

Route 31

If you get a bit bored of the back and forth, especially if the roamer refuses to move, then you can just walk over to where it's chilling. If you're lucky, it'll move to nearby areas that are easily accessible and you can both end up in the same place.

Alright, let's try and catch this thing.

Our choice Pokemon to catch these roamers is this Jynx. Now a roamer will always try and run away on the first turn, but according to Bulbapedia, that has a -7 priority, letting you hit it with some kind of move before it buggers off. Since it can learn Mean Look and Lovely Kiss before level 40, Jynx makes a great candidate. It also has Dream Eater for Entei and Ice Beam for Raikou. Remember, paralysis does nothing to affect the catch rate, so if you want an easier time, then you need to sleep them.

Being at level 40 is important as it means you can encounter them while also use Repels, so you'll find them pretty quickly.

VS Legendary Beast

HP: 90 | ATK: 85 | DEF: 75 | SP.ATK: 115 | SP.DEF: 100 | SPD: 115 | TOTAL: 580
#238: Raikou

Alright, I wanna catch this thing no problem, so let's trap it.

...huh?

Well turns out Bulbapedia are big fat liars and a fleeing roaming Pokemon has no negative priority in running away. So we can't use a Jynx, cause it's just not fast enough. Crobat, however, is plenty fast and also learns Mean Look. And Golbat are found at a good level in Mt. Silver for this job, but because happiness evolutions suck we won't be able to use repels to track the beasts down.

We're tracking down Entei and it's here on Route 36. I'm not gonna let it leave this route.

HP: 115 | ATK: 115 | DEF: 85 | SP.ATK: 90 | SP.DEF: 75 | SPD: 100 | TOTAL: 580
#239: Entei

There we go, easy enough. Now to whittle it down and catch it.

...are you for fuckin real?

Nah we're not dealing with that. Because Game Freak hate you, all the Johto roamers have Roar in their movesets. This includes Suicune in GS, because if you want to introduce a new mechanic, why not make it as painfully lovely as you possibly can, eh?

So let's try this again, OKAY?

Whittling it down for capture. Uh, I confused it so it wouldn't go for Roar...

But of course that happened. Since it's not Platinum onwards, any legendary is gone for good if you save after knocking it out.

So reset!

Also, if you stick around in the route it's in for too long, then it'll just jump to a new area on the map. Seriously, roaming legendaries are just awful.

Okay, THIS TIME.

One saving grace is Roar has... wait, 100% accuracy before Gen 6? How the hell did it fail then? It has -1 priority in any case. But seriously, its accuracy hasn't been lowered and the 1/256 glitch has been fixed... I think. Ah whatever.

Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Stop doing that!!!

Okay, we're now in a position to start chucking balls. I mean, if we could put it to Sleep, that would increase our chance from 2% to 6%, but that is just too much hassle, cause once you switch out the Pokemon that's used Mean Look, the roamer will just run away.

We might be here a while.

Not pictured, about thirty loads of a save state. Roaming Pokemon suck.

One down, one to go.

Now to encounter Raikou on the same route.

Easy enough.

I haaaaaaate liiiiiiiiife

Another whittle down, though Crobat isn't the best Pokemon to use. Thankfully Raikou is one level away from Spark, so it's not too bad.

And there we go. If I didn't have save states, or ways to hack encounters, this would have been SO SO SO much more painful. I hate roaming Pokemon and everything associated with it. But hey, at least we're done.

Whirl Islands

Next on the list is this little dungeon. Now that we have the Silver Wing from that Pewter City guy, there's something for us at the bottom!

When you know where you're going, this place becomes a lot smaller.

Hey there, wanna see my balls?

Wild Pokemon Battle

HP: 106 | ATK: 90 | DEF: 130 | SP.ATK: 90 | SP.DEF: 154 | SPD: 110 | TOTAL: 680
#247: Lugia

Ease up laddie, we've only just started. Lugia is pretty dang tough and Recover makes it really annoying to catch. Thankfully, aside from Hydro Pump, all it has is Gust, so it's not doing much to you.

Man, Water types are so useful to catch things with.

Stop that

Lugia is one of the few Pokemon that a Heavy Ball works great on. Instead of the 6% chance with an Ultra Ball, it goes up to a 12% chance with a Heavy Ball at low health when asleep. Though that does require going to Kurt to make them and you know me... :effort:

Since this isn't a god awful roamer, I'm glad I don't have to save state constantly to catch the drat thing.

Eventually we get it! Yay!

Now we're nearly done with all the legends, but we've got one last thing to do in Kanto.

gently caress going back the normal way.

Pokemon Center

: MARINA, have you heard? There have been fresh rumors of a rainbow-colored POKéMON appearing at TIN TOWER. I've just had my party healed, so now I'm heading to ECRUTEAK. I'll be seeing you, MARINA!

Now that we've caught all three of the beasts, we can finally, FINALLY explore Tin Tower. Isn't that nice, TinTower?

There better not be a doggie ready to attack me.

Tin Tower

Neat, I need that for my dex.

: Free your mind from uncertainty, and advance.

Alright, let's go up. Tin Tower is relatively straightforward, but I find it to be a lot of fun.

Okay, maybe not the second floor, but very soon it is a lot of fun!

Here we go, these one way ledges start off pretty simple, but soon we'll be in a real maze. There's also loads of items here, which is useful for the totally not final boss we're preparing for.

The path to the fourth floor is easy enough, but now the real maze starts.

We'll snake our way down here.

Then get two good items back to back. The way up to the fifth floor is a dead end, but it's a way to warn you that going the wrong way in the maze on that floor will force you to go through the fourth floor again.

It's a lot of fun to jump around.

Another dead end in the bottom left corner, so the top left staircase is the way forward.

Now to head through the next maze.

Ooh very nice.

But this forces us back to the fourth floor. A fine reward at least.

Now instead of heading towards the center, we skirt around the outside of the pillar to head to the stairs to the sixth floor.

A nice breather floor as we're done with the mazes now. There's still ledges around, but the seventh floor introduces a new maze.

Teleporter maze! Well, it's not a confusing mess like the one at Silph Co., but you can't ignore it like that one.

Let's see where it leads.

This is quite an adventure.

Okay, a dead end, let's see where the second teleporter goes.

Another dead end. Alright. The teleporters don't really make a maze, it's relatively linear.

Let's continue on.

There's not much left, the teleporting stuff takes place over three floors, so we should be near the end.

We're getting some real nice items here.

Past the last teleporter is a nice item, don't forget about it!

And with that, we've made it to the stairs to the tenth floor.

And our prize.

HP: 106 | ATK: 130 | DEF: 90 | SP.ATK: 110 | SP.DEF: 154 | SPD: 90 | TOTAL: 680
#248: Ho-oh

I'm glad of Jeremiah, cause goddamn this bird can hurt if you're not prepared for it.

It's really high Special Defense makes it easy enough to whittle down and it thankfully doesn't have Recover to be a pain. It does have Sunny Day, so let's finish this quick, cause it still does damage even with a resistance.

Oh, I'll just catch it pretty quickly then, o-okay game.

And with that, the legendary beast quest that we started way back in Update 17 is finally done. Too good for 'em, I say!

At least we can Fly from the roof, but let's go back to the tower and show off our rainbow bird.

: The lightning that struck the TOWER. The fire that burned the TOWER. And the rain that put out the fire.

: They struck terror in those who saw their rise. And... Some even took to futile attacks. The legendary POKéMON, knowing their own power, fled, ignoring the frightened people.

: I hear there may also be a link to POKéMON known as UNOWN. The POKéMON UNOWN must be sharing bond with SUICUNE.

: I knew you'd get to see the POKéMON of rainbow colors, MARINA. It happened just as I envisioned. My research isn't bad, I might say. I'm going to keep studying POKéMON to become a famous POKéMANIAC!

Alright, uh, what the gently caress is there left? Guess we can evolve some more Pokemon over here in preparation for next update. But what was that about Unown? Sure, let's go make one last visit to the Ruins of Alph. Next time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Someday GameFreak will make a roamer that has Insomnia as an ability, Roar, Recover, Sleep Talk, and some signature move.

That will be the day I quit this franchise.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Someday GameFreak will make a roamer that has Insomnia as an ability, Roar, Recover, Sleep Talk, and some signature move.

They seem to be moving away from those since in X and Y, you just had to run into them 10 times. And in ORAS and S and M, there aren't any roamers, period.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Don''t give them any ideas.

Dr. Fetus posted:

They seem to be moving away from those since in X and Y, you just had to run into them 10 times. And in ORAS and S and M, there aren't any roamers, period.

I feel like roamers peaked in Gen IV, when there were approximately 8 dozen of them.
And I thought you couldn't catch the roamer until you've encountered it 10 times? That's even worse, at least with the other games you could always throw a Master Ball (or a Quick Ball, really) and be done with it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In gen 6, once you run into them 10 times, they become a stationary encounter in an out of the way area. The roaming thing is just a bit of pre-legendary tedium really.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Also they dealt with the tracking issue by guaranteeing that the roamer would be the first thing you run into after beating the game. Not ideal, but they did away with roamers in the newer games, so it seems to be a moot point.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What would be the point of sleep talk if it has insomnia? Is there some way to put an insomniac pokemon to sleep i dont know about?

e: vvvv oh, yeah :downs:

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 8, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What would be the point of sleep talk if it has insomnia? Is there some way to put an insomniac pokemon to sleep i dont know about?

You could Mean Look it, then Gastro Acid or Skill Swap or Entrainment to give it a different ability, then put it to sleep.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Mate if it has Limber I'd be well upset. Paralysis is so good if it's not Gen 2.

But if it's just the one roamer, you'd go for a Master Ball. I wish I had one of those, but I decided to go with a long joke instead.

I regret nothing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
silver's arc ends with crobat and two trade evos, i always liked that cause it showed he lightened up enough to start showing his pokemon love and even made some friends at some point

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

silver's arc ends with crobat and two trade evos, i always liked that cause it showed he lightened up enough to start showing his pokemon love and even made some friends at some point

Ha, totally went over my head.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
So the monk says that there may be a link between Suicune and Unown which is supported by the intro to this game. Unfortunately that's all we ever see since nothing else about any connection they may have has ever been revealed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ironically, the movie featuring the Unown connected them to Entei.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
And the Adventures manga connects them to Arceus in the HGSS arc :v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Sounds like the true connection is unknown.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Ironically, the movie featuring the Unown connected them to Entei.

It's been ages, but there's some stuff in the code that implies Entei was going to get special encounter treatment in GS.
When they sent the guy behind the movie 4 designs of gen 2 pokemon, one of those was entei (and unown); it's probable that at early in development Entei had the role of suicune in GS here but they backed off on it.

Incidentally, I suggest everyone read up on the scrapped script of the third movie because wow http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/movies/pm_lord_unknown_tower_entei/lord_unknown_tower_entei_mythical_third_movie.html

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

rannum posted:

Incidentally, I suggest everyone read up on the scrapped script of the third movie because wow http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/movies/pm_lord_unknown_tower_entei/lord_unknown_tower_entei_mythical_third_movie.html
What the gently caress. :stare:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGrL-XcN9rQ

And here's a video that covers pretty much the same info but also more about the writer and other stuff about the previous movies.

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 11, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

rannum posted:

It's been ages, but there's some stuff in the code that implies Entei was going to get special encounter treatment in GS.
When they sent the guy behind the movie 4 designs of gen 2 pokemon, one of those was entei (and unown); it's probable that at early in development Entei had the role of suicune in GS here but they backed off on it.

Not gonna lie, that sounds really boring. Or dumb.

Maybe both.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Ha, totally went over my head.

it's one of my favorite examples of gameplay mechanics and story integration but they never point it out or make it explicit so it can be easily missed, it took me replaying Crystal as a teen to actually see it

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 52: Adventures in the Ruins of Alph

Ruins of Alph

Is it time to finish up the Ruins of Alph finally? Yes indeed.

There's still 2 chambers to clear out and since we've finished up the beast quest, we can now go to all of them. As a refresher, we needed a Water Stone in our inventory to unlock this opening.

Here are our prizes. Nothing too amazing and a second Mystic Water. Sure.

More writing, good stuff.

Now the final back chamber.

You need Ho-oh in your first party slot. Oh yeah, I nearly forgot.

Ho-oh is holding a Sacred Ash which when used will revive all of your fainted Pokemon. There's only one in the whole game, so we should totally use it in the final battle.

Considering you have to catch four legendaries to even get to this chamber... eh. Though that second Charcoal is kinda useful for cash, since I think I sold the first one way back when...

The last load of writing. With all that done with... well let's actually catch all these drat Unown!

So, uh, there's nothing much to catching all the Unown. There's 26 of the drat things and you need to remember which ones you haven't caught yet.

Since we can only fit 20 to a box, you will need to leave to switch it when you're close to the end. Man, I wish we had the 30 to a box the Japanese players got.

But eventually the last one finally fuckin' shows up, christ. We're done!

: That's a great achievement! I've set up the printer here for handling UNOWN. Feel free to use it anytime.

: The RUINS appear to have been built as a habitat for POKéMON.

: The mystery deepens...

Yeah... catching all the Unown doesn't do much. But let's check this printer.

Oh right. Never mind then. :sigh:

Well that was fun, but it would be a shame to just end the update there, right? Well, it's time to get our last two Eggs from the Daycare.

Man, Ditto has levelled up a lot.

HP: 30 | ATK: 80 | DEF: 90 | SP.ATK: 55 | SP.DEF: 45 | SPD: 55 | TOTAL: 355
#222: Kabuto

HP: 30 | ATK: 40 | DEF: 100 | SP.ATK: 90 | SP.DEF: 55 | SPD: 35 | TOTAL: 355
#220: Omanyte

I've had these fossils sitting in my game forever, but now I can technically say I caught them.

The starters and the fossils are the only things you'll need to breed if you evolved them in Gen 2, though having multiple Eevee and Tyrogue really helps. This also means you can trade them back to make completing the Pokedex in those games a lot easier.

Ruins of Alph

That's it for Crystal for now, but this is still an update about the Ruins of Alph and there's plenty to do in the remakes.

More booty

And more words.

There's not much different in the remakes at the moment, we'll get to that later.

This is a nice haul, a free Life Orb isn't anything to be upset about.

That's all the chambers and I caught all the Unown off screen, cause gently caress wasting anymore time on that dull poo poo, so let's go talk to some nerds.

: We have figured out that UNOWN are in a certain order. Let me see your report. There! I put the UNOWN in the correct order! We may be able to tell more about them.

: This is a big discovery! We will study them right away.

: It means that... There must be two more kinds of UNOWN somewhere...

Oh, so we haven't actually caught all the Unown then?

They've been put in alphabetical order, so unlike in Gen 2 you'll never remember which order you caught them in, but you'll always remember the last Unown that finally showed up, goddamn!

Let's find where the last 2 Unown are.

Well this is new.

: I wonder what these symbols mean... .................. Hey, you! Let's go back to the Research Center!

Bless you

Can you solve the puzzle?

Yeah, it's that simple. But I'll admit, this is a cool way to add in the Gen 3 Unown, though I can't wait until the Sinnoh remakes and we get Sinnoh forms of every Unown!

"symbols on the floor!"

: ...It seems that UNOWN were living at the ruins with a human clan. It is thought that this clan made the Pokémon statues underground. The UNOWN were easily scared and wouldn't go outside. When more and more people started to appear around the ruins, the clan that wished to live in harmony with the UNOWN eventually left...

"their mystery!"

: We have so many things we don't know left, of course. Archaeology never ends.

Looks like we're done here for now. Or are we???

: I dedicate this report to the Research Center's founder, Professor Silktree...

The Unown Report is completed and the last two Unown are added, in the order you caught them.

Yaaaaaaay. Wasn't that fun? But we're not done with the Ruins of Alph. It's event time.

In conjunction with the 12th movie, you could get an Arceus over Mystery Gift for the first time in the series, since the Azure Flute to catch one in DPP was never released. So if you just OH SO HAPPEN to have one, there's more to do in the Ruins of Alph.

: Are you OK? I was in a hurry and... Sorry, did I hurt you?

Hi. I'm Kotone, this is God.

: The one they call ARCEUS...? Oh, could it be...? ARCEUS causing all this...? I cannot explain it any other way... ARCEUS may be the key to solving the mystery of the UNOWN and the Ruins of Alph...? Can you come to the Ruins of Alph with me? Please! You must! I am trembling with excitement. I think something is about to happen!

Ruins of Alph (Inside)

: I have been studying the ruins for many years, but something feels... different.

: The UNOWN pictures on the wall... It feels like they're staring at me! What is this? There is something eerie that is making my legs shiver. I can't stop them!

Don't be alarmed, just your standard teleporting procedure.

Sinjoh Ruins

The heck are we?

: It's so freezing, isn't it? For a youngster like you to be interested in the Sinjoh Ruins is not something we see every day.

: From the design of the pillars at the Sinjoh Ruins, you can see that the cultures of Sinnoh and Johto have blended. What was I thinking? We don't need to be standing here. Why don't you come to the cabin around the corner for more discussion?

Ah, don't leave me behind!

: Any Trainer should know who she is. The famous Trainer from Sinnoh! She is travelling around to study myths and ancient ruins. Isn't that something?

Ooh, that's better. Hmm, the person on the right seems really strong and cool, so let's talk to her in a minute.

"lives to those Pokémon..."

: That shows that people and Pokémon used to be more closely bonded with each other. When people moved from place to place, the myths and legends of Pokémon and their power would also be carried with those people.

: The ancient ruins here have inherited the legends from the both the Ruins of Alph in Johto and the Spear Pillar in Sinnoh. This is proof that people from Johto and Sinnoh blended together as a group.

As an aside, certain place names have their names highlighted in red during some conversations for... some reason. It's a bit weird as it only happens here, but I guess it's the only way to make you little shits pay attention. There's a lot of words in this event, which is fine for you guys, you're not transcribing it! Phew...

: Initially, I thought it was because it snows a lot here as well. But that was not it. A long time ago...people came from Sinnoh to live here. They must have built a temple here while longing for a home. That's why we call these the Sinjoh Ruins...

: I can sense strong power coming from your Poké Balls... I feel a familiar presence... The power of DIALGA... PALKIA... or could it be GIRATINA?

: Have you got time? Can you come to the Sinjoh Ruins with me? Call it a Trainer's intuition. When you and your Pokémon step onto the stage, something will happen.

I guess I'm not really doing much right now. What about the last occupant of the cabin? He seems familiar...

Nah mate

Now that I think about, where the hell am I? Like physically?

Huh, we seem to be to the north of Blackthorn City. And I would assume south of Sinnoh too.

"for ARCEUS."

: It is said that people used to celebrate its magnificent might with music and dance. Some people in Johto still pass down this tradition.

"on the Mystri Stage."

: This is where one might say, "The lead enters the Mystri Stage at last." All my study of ruins and Pokémon mythology in Sinnoh may have been to bring you up on this stage here today...

"this world."

: The circle in the middle is ARCEUS, the origin of it all...

"space and dimensions..."
"of time..."
"the world that is on the opposite side of ours, the world of antimatter..."

: ARCEUS, having shapred the world, is said to show you a glimpse of its true power. The power of possibility making life appear out of nothing... It seems that something will happen when you choose one of the circles...

Ah, now on to the main... event. HEH. When the event Arceus is the only Pokemon in your party, you can choose between one of three Pokemon. Choose wisely, as in normal event circumstances, you can only get one.

TIME to make a choice.

Ooh, there are Unown here as well. Here's the creation process in full. Trust me, you WANT to see this if you haven't already.

It's so pretty.

We just made a one of a kind Pokemon! Yay!

: Did we just witness the very moment an Egg was brought to this world? A moment no one has ever seen? An Egg is the cradle of every being. This planet itself is an Egg in a sense... Life that comes from an Egg will come to an end in due course... to begin anew... That may be what ARCEUS wanted to show us.

I feel a teleport coming.

There it is.

Ruins of Alph (Inside)

"and that made me so surprised!"

: I see. The power of ARCEUS and UNOWN affected each other to create a huge energy, which sent you to the Sinjoh Ruins...? UNOWN, the Ruins of Alph, and ARCEUS... The mystery deepens... It has made me even more inquisitive! I will one day solve all the mysteries!

And that's the event, we get a neat level 1 Dialga to just use no problem.

But of course that's not all there is. Just a little bit more.

If you just OH SO HAPPEN to have an Arceus caught in a Sinnoh game from the Azure Flute event, then you can return to the Sinjoh Ruins. Of course, you can't do this legit, the item was never released, so this kind of Arceus isn't legally available. Isn't that funny they made a part of an event require a previous, unreleased event? Oh, Game Freak, you and your 2 games at once creation process.

Sinjoh Ruins

What up?

: Cynthia has gone back to Sinnoh. She is the Sinnoh League Champion. She studies various ruins despite her tight schedule. How wonderful she is!

Using this second Arceus, we can do the whole event again, although we can no longer pick Dialga. This is, however, the last choice you can make, you cannot return here a third time.

And yadda yadda yadda, insert the same sequence into this SPACE.

And back we go.

And that's 2 new legendaries all for us. Excellent.

Make sure to take their respective orbs. This is also why you would want to pick Giratina, as you can't trade the Griseous Orb in Gen 4, so this is the only way to obtain one if you want to see Origin Forme in HGSS.

And now we move back to Crystal to finish the update. We're gonna finish the Pokedex, as there are just a load of Pokemon to obtain, such as this Kingler! It's one of the few Pokemon that you can obtain with the Super Rod, as we've already found or evolved the other Pokemon to find. Its selection in this game ain't that great.

Next up to mention is Tyrogue's evolution. It's a bit weird, at level 20, if Tyrogue's Attack is higher than its Defense, it'll evolve into Hitmonlee. If its Defense is higher than Attack, Hitmonchan. Finally, if they're both equal, Hitmontop. Pretty cool.

Let's see, what else is there?

Oh yeah, there's still 20 Pokemon left to go to complete the Pokedex. Just ones that need to trade to evolve, or I need to breed multiple of to get their evolutions. Much easier to just catch them outside Cherrygrove, since it's where I caught Kingler.

I'm also gonna catch them in Master Balls, cause screw doing any of this remotely legit. Even though I've been steadily catching stuff all throughout the LP, there's still so many left to obtain. Find all their Pokedex entries here and we'll move on to the next lot of interest. I really should've spaced these out more, but then I remembered I planned on completing the Pokedex by the start of the next update. Curse you forward planning past me!

HP: 70 | ATK: 84 | DEF: 70 | SP.ATK: 65 | SP.DEF: 70 | SPD: 51 | TOTAL: 410
#245: Pupitar

HP: 100 | ATK: 134 | DEF: 110 | SP.ATK: 95 | SP.DEF: 100 | SPD: 61 | TOTAL: 600
#246: Tyranitar

Makes sense to evolve these guys last. But there's still 5 slots missing from the Pokedex. Of course, it's the darn Kanto legendaries that we have to trade from Gen 1. You can find the Pokedex entries and analysis of those 5 here.

And there we go, we're only 1 Pokemon away from completing the whole Pokedex.

But that'll be for next time, which will be all about Pokemon #251.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 15, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I remember doing the "summon Bigger Dragon" ritual all three times, thanks to getting Arceuses with different event flags via a website and special IP address (DS Wi-Fi was magical that way.)

It is the most disorienting thing in the entire franchise.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You have a few loose tags near the end. Also, those Unown were from Gen 4, not Gen 3, as I recall.

Also, I had no idea that you could do the Arceus event twice for additional dialogue. That's neat.

Can't wait to see the reactions of people who never saw that event before. :allears:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You have a few loose tags near the end. Also, those Unown were from Gen 4, not Gen 3, as I recall.

Also, I had no idea that you could do the Arceus event twice for additional dialogue. That's neat.

Can't wait to see the reactions of people who never saw that event before. :allears:

Fire Red and Leaf Green are the ones that introduced the ! and ? Unown.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As one of those people, I am conflicted. On the one hand, I can't help but laugh at GameFreak for not quality checking to make sure people could even do the event without resorting to cheat codes.

On the other hand, just how many illegal substances went into that cutscene's development? :psyduck:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Fire Red and Leaf Green are the ones that introduced the ! and ? Unown.

Were they? I stand corrected!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Were they? I stand corrected!
Yeah, but they were in one small out-of-the-way postgame area iirc, so they were easy to miss.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I never saw that scene in-game despite having given myself an Azure Flute (no spare systems to trade with!), but it never stops being the weirdest goddamn thing in the entire franchise every time I see it. The creative decisions in that cutscene are just baffling considering how hard the series has veered away from Real Life Things.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
i like to think that happens every time an egg appears at the day care, its just that one is around to see except for the pokemon

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
That cutscene :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I had no idea there was so much involved with the unown report. Like it's not a lot, but seeing the scientists actually solve a mystery and write about it is neat.
Also a reminder that this is the last time you could catch any unown until ORAS were released.

That event is so cool & weird. I wish they'd do similar things for other legendaries...I think these these three. and manaphy/phione, are the only level 1 legends they've ever released. It's a fun novelty that they should have done for the 20th anniversary instead of releasing them at level 100. Lets you actually use those learn sets!

• Locked thread