Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Ceciltron posted:

Caufman I hope that translation has an imprimatur :catstare:

It doesn't. Not even the "Catholic/Ecumenical" version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJuYuu2CfVc
happy easter

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

Caufman I hope that translation has an imprimatur :catstare:

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Here I go again, airing out my sinful nature outside the Sacrament of Reconciliation...

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Sins against prose style are the gravest of all that is error.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Sins against prose style are the gravest of all that is error.

the syntaxis of all heresies

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

There's a Catholic version? I assume that means there's a, er, 'translation' of the deuterocanonical books? I bought a The Message bible to read during Lent (intentionally, so it would be utterly unfamiliar) and I didn't even think to look for a Catholic version, because it seems so obviously a Protestant thing...

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Yeah, Peterson got one of his Catholic friends to translate the deuterocanonical books in the Catholic Edition. Peterson used the original Greek and Hebrew texts for his translation, meanwhile his friend used the Latin New Vulgate exclusively. It's very, um...ecumenical I guess?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I should buy a nice bible. I've only got a very, very, very worn paperback New Testament I got for confirmation with the other youths. It's alright but lacks, well, the rest of the texts.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

I should buy a nice bible. I've only got a very, very, very worn paperback New Testament I got for confirmation with the other youths. It's alright but lacks, well, the rest of the texts.

As far as nice Bibles go, I've got a beautiful Cambridge Paragraph Bible that I love. If the Clarion Bible had any versions with the deuterocanonical books I'd be right on it, but sadly they haven't released any so far.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I want the Bibliotheca set:

http://www.bibliotheca.co/

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

WerrWaaa posted:

I want the Bibliotheca set:

http://www.bibliotheca.co/

That's a very handsome set.

However, and this is purely a matter of taste, when I see that I can't help but think

"What a nice Bible. It would be a shame if anyone read it."

What's a Bible with a more medieval Catholic aesthetic?

Goobish
May 31, 2011

So quick maybe silly question. I am bummed I am missing my churches Good Friday service and noticed the local Catholic church has one at a time I can attend. Are Catholics cool with some random person just showing up? I was going to call and ask but figured this thread would know good Catholic etiquette for a non Catholic. If I can go should I be more aware of how I am dressed? My church never cared that I went casual but even just the word Catholic looks super fancy.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Goobish posted:

So quick maybe silly question. I am bummed I am missing my churches Good Friday service and noticed the local Catholic church has one at a time I can attend. Are Catholics cool with some random person just showing up? I was going to call and ask but figured this thread would know good Catholic etiquette for a non Catholic. If I can go should I be more aware of how I am dressed? My church never cared that I went casual but even just the word Catholic looks super fancy.

No one will hassle you. The Catholic Church has a billion members so new people dropping in is completely unremarkable, especially on a day like Good Friday when attendance abruptly triples. The buildings are fancy but people dress pretty casual, so unless you're wearing Jncos I think you'll be alright.

Communion is just for Catholics (or Orthodox under special circumstances) but otherwise go ahead and don't sweat it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

There's not even communion on Good Friday so it works out!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I get to sing the psalm today! I'm really stoked!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

There's not even communion on Good Friday so it works out!

No, there is at the Good Friday service - it was consecrated at the Holy Thursday Mass and set aside in the tabernacle for distribution today. (Along with just enough to take to the sick today and tomorrow, since there won't be Mass on Holy Saturday until after sunset.)

Ceciltron posted:

I get to sing the psalm today! I'm really stoked!

I am intrigued by your avatar beeping the psalm. :v:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

zonohedron posted:

No, there is at the Good Friday service - it was consecrated at the Holy Thursday Mass and set aside in the tabernacle for distribution today. (Along with just enough to take to the sick today and tomorrow, since there won't be Mass on Holy Saturday until after sunset.)

I just went, there was no communion and people were dressed kinda fancy, also you might have to stand. Also also the service took 90 minutes so wear something comfortable I'd say. Welcome to the Catholic church :getin:

Sweatpants might be good depending on the local kneeling options

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

zonohedron posted:

I really ought to record myself doing it, since this week we don't have an organist, and instead just 2 guitars playing accompaniments.

P-Mack posted:

No one will hassle you. The Catholic Church has a billion members so new people dropping in is completely unremarkable, especially on a day like Good Friday when attendance abruptly triples. The buildings are fancy but people dress pretty casual, so unless you're wearing Jncos I think you'll be alright.

Communion is just for Catholics (or Orthodox under special circumstances) but otherwise go ahead and don't sweat it.

Our priest once told my parents, who were wearing jeans and leather jackets after they balked at passing around the collection plates "It's not what you wear on your body, but what you wear on your soul that counts".

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Look what I found at the train station:

http://m.imgur.com/a/RRd9w

Luther comics!

Just putting a bunch of untranslated Latin on the posters is very Bavarian. I like the color schemes of the papists vs Luther.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, papists do like red. Though I don't know whether cardinals draw their names from the birds, or the other way around.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The other way round, they're a New World species after all :v: the etymology of “cardinal“ is actually pretty interesting; the Latin cardinalis originally just meant “pertaining to a hinge“, which then changed into “something or somebody important“ and was used for the senior priests of important churches (the CoE still has two “cardinals“ that are senior clergymen at St Paul's, interestingly enough). Originally the Popes were elected by the laity and clergy of time, then only the nobility and clergy and eventually only the senior clergy - the “cardinal priests“ - of the city of Rome. To this day the legal fiction is kept alive that the cardinals are actually part of the Roman clergy, and that is why every new cardinal is assigned a church within the city of which he is the ceremonial deacon or priest, even though virtually all cardinals are also bishops :eng101:

e: apparently the two cardinals at St Paul's are no more, they got abolished last year :smith: the parish church of St Magnus the Martyr in London is still led by a “cardinal rector“, though, so not all is lost

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 14, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, papists do like red. Though I don't know whether cardinals draw their names from the birds, or the other way around.

Yo sorry if I asked you this before, but what's with your red text??

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
OwlFancier has the best red text I've ever seen on SA, because I can hardly even imagine the context in which someone got mad enough about it to give it to him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

OwlFancier has the best red text I've ever seen on SA, because I can hardly even imagine the context in which someone got mad enough about it to give it to him.

Sadly it's a sort of running joke in the UK megathread in DnD, half the posters have very bizzare redtexts, often related to obscure British things and invariably completely unrelated to the poster, best guess is someone in the thread likes buying them and has a novel sense of humour. Though for some time I was confused because I assumed it was intended for somebody else and they missed and gave it to me instead.

I regret that I have not actually made somebody :10bux: mad about wallpaper.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 14, 2017

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

OwlFancier posted:

I regret that I have not actually made somebody :10bux: mad about wallpaper.

The boards aren't going anywhere, at least not imminently. There's still time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cooking post-Good Friday dinner and getting ready to watch Hail, Caesar. It's a Holy Week movie, right?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but why is it called "Good" Friday?

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Cooking post-Good Friday dinner and getting ready to watch Hail, Caesar. It's a Holy Week movie, right?

hail caesar owns, both because of the scene with the two priests, the pastor, and the rabbi, and because george clooney gets converted to marxism by herbert marcuse

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

SirPhoebos posted:

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but why is it called "Good" Friday?

Noone really knows for sure, it could either retain an archaic sense of “good“ meaning “holy“ (the OED supports this explanation, fwiw) or it could simply be a corruption of “God Friday“

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

So my extremely lapsed Catholic arse is going to Easter Vigil services for the first time in like a decade and a half because it's as good a reason as any to spend the evening with the practicing Catholic that I'm dating. What on earth should I expect again? How likely am I to be struck by lightning? Do we cross ourselves left to right or right to left? Should I take the Jeezit or not?

I mean, I'll have her there to help hand-walk me through it, but the last one is a legit question of mine. There's still a part of me that feels like I shouldn't take Communion due to, like, never having gone to confession since I was confirmed.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

citybeatnik posted:

So my extremely lapsed Catholic arse is going to Easter Vigil services for the first time in like a decade and a half because it's as good a reason as any to spend the evening with the practicing Catholic that I'm dating. What on earth should I expect again? How likely am I to be struck by lightning? Do we cross ourselves left to right or right to left? Should I take the Jeezit or not?

I mean, I'll have her there to help hand-walk me through it, but the last one is a legit question of mine. There's still a part of me that feels like I shouldn't take Communion due to, like, never having gone to confession since I was confirmed.

More readings than usual, potentially incense, people being baptized as adults; unlikely unless it's held outside and there's a storm; forehead, abdomen, left shoulder, right shoulder (use your right hand even if you're left-handed); no

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zonohedron posted:

More readings than usual, potentially incense, people being baptized as adults; unlikely unless it's held outside and there's a storm; forehead, abdomen, left shoulder, right shoulder (use your right hand even if you're left-handed); no

... well that's easy. Remembering to not go "and also with you" is going to be harder.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

citybeatnik posted:

... well that's easy. Remembering to not go "and also with you" is going to be harder.

Follow along in a missalette? Don't look up at all, I mean, just any time anyone's making word sounds and it's not the homily, follow along :v:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

There's still a part of me that feels like I shouldn't take Communion due to, like, never having gone to confession since I was confirmed.

It's a choice to take the body and blood, as you already see. I don't always take the Eucharist every time I attend Mass. It is an examination of my conscience, a moment to pray about my own apostolic story, whether I have one, and what is it like. I pray right up until the moment I am before the host, and with the best wisdom I could obtain from the Holy Spirit, I make a choice. Often I'm content just to receive the grace of a general blessing, grace which I have to do nothing to earn, the grace of witnessing the memorial of our brother Yoshua's last supper. Sometimes I take the Eucharist, and at some point later I will remember that all the people who originally shared that meal with him would go on to live imperfect lives.

Here's to doing our best! Enjoy the Vigil Mass; it's so beautiful in a way we all hope is pleasing to our father in heaven.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
This is the tenth (liturgical) anniversary of my initiation into the Roman Catholic Church. Just like any deep, intimate, and complex relationship there have been incredibly difficult times, but I am so thankful for all of it. Well... most of it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
How does it compare to what it was like before your initiation?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thirteen Orphans posted:

This is the tenth (liturgical) anniversary of my initiation into the Roman Catholic Church. Just like any deep, intimate, and complex relationship there have been incredibly difficult times, but I am so thankful for all of it. Well... most of it.

beeecoooommmme oooooorthodooooooooox

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
well if he feels like it he could also go to confession

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Caufman posted:

How does it compare to what it was like before your initiation?

Well, now he knows the secret handshake so he can get into all the cool post-mass parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAIL posted:

beeecoooommmme oooooorthodooooooooox

he'll probably switch rites sooner or later, unless he manages to get into a monastery at some point

• Locked thread