Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Nemo2342 posted:

Looking at the Kickstarter, the cheapest tier to get your name in the credits was at $85 unless they changed something later on.

ah I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That was the moment I fell in love all over again. Also hi Chokes! :) I miss seeing your avatar. :3:

Hello! I don't get out of C-SPAM much these days :3: Also I just assumed the new rapid fire stuff was just Jonah's delivery. He goes through lines FAST but he manages to enunciate all of them clearly. It was that way during his test run with Joel at the reunion show, too.

I'm slowly adjusting to Servo not being Kevin but Gypsy still screws with me every time. It helps that they only give her a few lines in Epsiode 1, so every time she opens her mouth it's BAD NO WRONG AAAAA

also I know I'm supposed to just relax but how did Servo Crow and the SoL get up there again after the original show finale? Did they just rebuild them? Why would Kinga install robots to help keep Jonah sane? It just doesn't make any sense and oh a popcorn bucket *relaxes*

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The word of the day is CARPET BOMBING

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesus the song at the end of Cry Wilderness. I wasn't aware that Joy Division had a country and western phase.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh my loving god I died at the censorship in Avalanche. That's the kind of gag they never could've done before and it's BRILLIANT. Please give us another season, Netflix. TIA.

When I checked on Netflix it was only at 3.5 stars though. What the gently caress is that bullshit :mad: People hating 'cause it's different? I will say I have a reasonable amount of trouble differentiating between Crow and Servo's voices now, and I don't usually have trouble with that kind of thing.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
1105's "Coldplay. Isn't. That. BAD!" 'bout killed me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Avalanche was just a solid episode all around. Lots of good riffing, a run cameo, a good sketch about those horrible Sci Fi original movies... I think I'm going to turn in, but tomorrow, I can wake up and there will still be seven episodes I've never seen just waiting for me. This is amazing.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh my loving god I died at the censorship in Avalanche. That's the kind of gag they never could've done before and it's BRILLIANT. Please give us another season, Netflix. TIA.

When I checked on Netflix it was only at 3.5 stars though. What the gently caress is that bullshit :mad: People hating 'cause it's different? I will say I have a reasonable amount of trouble differentiating between Crow and Servo's voices now, and I don't usually have trouble with that kind of thing.

I don't think Netflix star ratings actually mean anything. It's what it thinks you will rate it based on your previous ratings and viewing history.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I think Cry Wilderness just instantly rocketed into classic episode country. I'm putting this in one of my every future turkey day marathons.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"Awww, she's having an aneurysm, it's charming!"

I really like the skull people, they remind me of the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo. The bigger-scale Moon 13 is fun, too, it feels very Forbidden Zone.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rollersnake posted:

I don't think Netflix star ratings actually mean anything. It's what it thinks you will rate it based on your previous ratings and viewing history.

Oh I absolutely know that. It just pissed me off on a superficial level. God this song is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3W6Xfh0gck

SING IT!

EDIT: Oh I read your post wrong. Could be!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The song they do in the theater during Starcrash is amazing.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There's the usual crop of nostalgia paralyzed grognards that have declared 11 to be SO CRINGY and NOT FUNNY AT ALL but yeah stars are mostly based on how you've rated what Netflix (rather nebulously) declares to be 'similar titles'

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Looking forward to the Starcrash episode. Starcrash is a pretty good movie straight-up, shame on anyone who hasn't seen it before this.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I didn't see anyone mention this so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkOMAQAcBKE

MST3K and their short riff on Stranger Things :allears:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

General Dog posted:

Looking forward to the Starcrash episode. Starcrash is a pretty good movie straight-up, shame on anyone who hasn't seen it before this.

It'll be the first movie they've riffed that I've already seen. Looking forward to seeing how they react to robot Yosemite Sam.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"Awww, she's having an aneurysm, it's charming!"

I really like the skull people, they remind me of the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo. The bigger-scale Moon 13 is fun, too, it feels very Forbidden Zone.

kinga forester is a cutie :allears:

Also I somehow had no idea Patton Oswald was TV's Son of TV's Frank. We have a Koenig inside Gizmonics' black sites now. For a brief moment in time, life in 2017 was good for me. :unsmith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

General Dog posted:

Gunslinger was a really good movie imo and I'm not sure why Kevin hates it with the power of a million exploding suns. :shrug:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Compendium posted:

I didn't see anyone mention this so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkOMAQAcBKE

MST3K and their short riff on Stranger Things :allears:

Seriously, it's come up like four or five times now.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Is it odd that I'm looking forward to the two Gypsy riffs per episode? It's a nice bookend.

One thing I appreciate about the faux commercial breaks and the skits is that it gives you a nice metric of how far you are in the episode. It's good because sometimes you can't count on the film's pacing to clue you in on it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Something I missed completely: What is Gypsy delivering and then hauling back in the first episode when she briefly snarks on the film? For the life of me, I couldn't figure it out.

e: is it hamdingers? I bet it's hamdingers

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Figured that was the case, drat.

I'm on the Land that Time Forgot. I'm getting 20k Leagues Under the Sea vibes except sillier and I'm getting a lot of the references, more than I thought I would.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 15, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
s11e05

THAT'S MY PURSE, I DON'T KNOW YOU!

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust

Chokes McGee posted:

Something I missed completely: What is Gypsy delivering and then hauling back in the first episode when she briefly snarks on the film? For the life of me, I couldn't figure it out.

I'm only 2 1/2 episodes in but maybe it has something to do with the "bad movie goo" that gets loaded into that thing in the moon base at the end of each episode? I kinda hope it's not explained and it's just an excuse to get Gypsy in the theater. She's batting 1.000 on the riffs so far.

I did some googling on Cry Wilderness and apparently the director went on to become a fairly successful painter. He had a painting of Bill Clinton that was in the White House for years. Beats selling fertilizer I guess.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pleasing Shape posted:

I'm only 2 1/2 episodes in but maybe it has something to do with the "bad movie goo" that gets loaded into that thing in the moon base at the end of each episode? I kinda hope it's not explained and it's just an excuse to get Gypsy in the theater. She's batting 1.000 on the riffs so far.

It's just weird. Is she just doing ship upkeep? Who knows.

Also fun fact: Arby (the guy in the suit delivering the movie) is actually Joel :3:

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Nah it's Inframan. It's a dead on replication.

Joel confirms this in http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/1248685-nine-things-need-know-new-mst3k

quote:

“When I first started thinking of Kinga I basically grabbed an image of the Dragon Queen from Infra-Man and Lucille Ball’s head, and put Lucille Ball’s head on the Dragon Queen from Infra-Man and I said, ‘This is Kinga,'” Joel Hodgson says. “And if you think about it, it’s kinda true. Felicia is, in a way, that.”

“And then along the way I go, man, I always loved those henchmen from Infra-Man. I’d love to do something with them. And then I got to the Bonehead thing, just a visual blur on that idea, just to alter it. The henchmen are so fun in Infra-Man though because they’re kind of nymphlike, and they run around really fast and they’ve very manic-looking. So I wanted that, and then I kind of engineered that off of there.”

“Then the idea was that they were the band, too. The Skeleton Crew Band. So they’re kind of like her failed attempted at creating a race of atomic supermen. It just didn’t work out.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I really like the new season, but the "Eliot Ness and his men" joke in episode 9 really cemented it for me.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Pleasing Shape posted:

I believe Joel has described it as "the payload," and didn't otherwise give a reason for it. I also think it's the liquid communication goo that transmits the movie into the ship, and I think you're correct that it's really just an excuse to bring Gypsy into the theater a couple times an episode. I've found, the more I watch, that I'm really liking the rhythm of he. We season, of the new weird cues like this that come up and establish a new long-form tempo and set of "rules" that the show follows. It's different from the old show in that it's literally different things happening than used to, but it's the same in that here is that sense of rhythm and rules and getting comfortable with them at all.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I love that the bots are more articulated this season. The sketch where Crow is pounding on a propane tank while Tom bats at a beehive had me stop the playback since I was laughing so much.

Also, Aloha!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The ONE thing I really miss is the cast breaking out in giggles at ridiculous things in the movie and/or riffs. I totally see Mike, Trace, or Bill chuckling or outright guffawing at some of the disaster sequences in Avalanche, and I miss that. It really drove home that they were having fun.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm on the Loves of Hercules now. I'm gonna have to go back and do a few rewatches such as Avalanche and MAYBE Time Travelers just so I can get a better feel of them.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I can't wait to see some internet fuccbois get mad about the white guy checklist in episode 7.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The ONE thing I really miss is the cast breaking out in giggles at ridiculous things in the movie and/or riffs. I totally see Mike, Trace, or Bill chuckling or outright guffawing at some of the disaster sequences in Avalanche, and I miss that. It really drove home that they were having fun.

Jonah is basically giggling throughout Yongary.

Edit: Hang on...there's a character named Hurla in Wizards of the Lost Kingdom?? Is this a crossover with Jack the Giant Killer?

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 15, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chokes McGee posted:

If you don't have Every Country Has a Monster stuck in your head after episode 1 then it's you, you're the monster in your country

I was cringing when the song began but it was actually pretty funny.

EDIT: Holy poo poo Jerry Seinfeld cameo

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 15, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Joel and Jerry are professional acquaintances. They were doing stand up around the same time. Check out Joel's episode on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Chokes McGee posted:

It looks like a picnic basket so I just assume its their lunch. They eat it during those little interludes with Max and the band.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Starcrash :psyduck:

I keep hearing things I think are riffs that turn out to be actual dialogue from the film

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

precision posted:

Starcrash :psyduck:

I keep hearing things I think are riffs that turn out to be actual dialogue from the film

I still can't figure out if the parts of Stella's outfits that keep disappearing and reappearing are continuity flubs or just fan service.

Or both. It's both, isn't it?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
"Are they raised cruelty free?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Loves of Hercules feels like it's a classic Joel-era episode. It's really solid and I really like it! At this point, the pace of riffs feel more natural, at least to me.