Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

provided you all aren't neck-bearded mouth-breathers.

Don't you live in KY?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

nsaP posted:

Are you in this area too? A lurker started hanging in #bieks and he's from the area too. Might have to organize a goon ride provided you all aren't neck-bearded mouth-breathers. There was a guy who posted here in the past that lived north of Cincy but he was an annoying arrogant prick...

...No, I'm not describing myself. Low hanging fruit and whatnot.

Yeah, I'm near the Sharon Rd. exit off 75. I'm slow (on the bike), but last I checked I don't have a neckbeard. Bike's in pieces in the garage right now, hopefully I'll have it back together before the weekend.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

nsaP posted:

Man I've had my fz6 forever. I love it and am attached to it. It's nothing amazing but I like the way it rides and it's hassle free.

But those fz09s are looking more an more appealing by the day.

Especially the refresh ones with ABS, TC, and slipper clutch. I'd probably still prefer the FZ07 (or FJ07 if it ever comes here, which it won't because no one's buying FJ09's) but the 09 is a really compelling package now.

Fats posted:

How about the FJ-09? They all have ABS (FZ-09s only got it in '17) and they're cheap because no one buys em.

The XSR would be cool but I can't get over the tiny headlight.

The FJ09 feels really wide when sitting on it. I'd like to ride one and see whether that goes away. They've had all the goodies the FJ09 just got from the get-go and are CHEAP.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Especially the refresh ones with ABS, TC, and slipper clutch. I'd probably still prefer the FZ07 (or FJ07 if it ever comes here, which it won't because no one's buying FJ09's) but the 09 is a really compelling package now.

The FJ09 feels really wide when sitting on it. I'd like to ride one and see whether that goes away. They've had all the goodies the FJ09 just got from the get-go and are CHEAP.

It's pretty nimble when moving, but it does feel, overall, like a size bigger bike than the FZ.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Greetings! I've been without two wheels for a year now since having sold my naked GL1100 tracker to fund my wedding. I'm now ready to get back on a bike.

Based on my past riding habits, I've narrowed it down to two bikes.

2017 Honda Grom or 2017 Kawasaki Z125 Pro.

I'm leaning towards the Kawasaki since I've always been a team green guy and prefer the styling, shorter gearing and that it's really a small motorcycle. Convince me I'm wrong or right.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

are you extremely short?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

McTinkerson posted:

Greetings! I've been without two wheels for a year now since having sold my naked GL1100 tracker to fund my wedding. I'm now ready to get back on a bike.

I'm leaning towards the Kawasaki since I've always been a team green guy and prefer the styling, shorter gearing and that it's really a small motorcycle. Convince me I'm wrong or right.

they're both the exact same, get whatever is cheaper

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Um one of them comes in green.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A MIRACLE posted:

are you extremely short?

most grom riders are of average height. I think he will be fine unless he is extremely tall
even fat goons can ride it

Get the grom if you think you might ever sell it because its going to be way easier to move

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 14, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yesss we need more grom/z125 riders in here. As razzled stated, they are pretty much the same, so just go for the z125 since kawi is your preference.

Personally, I'd get the grom, because they are way cooler, and you can vinyl wrap it any color you like.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

McTinkerson posted:

You're very wrong, both are garbage bikes. I would recommend extending your search to real motorcycles.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Kymco k-pipe, the 125 that came with gp shift for some reason.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I don't really get the appeal of the little tiny bikes. Are you guys cross-shopping scooters or something?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

I don't really get the appeal of the little tiny bikes. Are you guys cross-shopping scooters or something?

have you tried one specifically the z125 or grom? they are very fun and ride larger than you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SVKlG9Iiak&t=29s

I took one up into twisties and it was way more fun than my cbr600rr.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 14, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

It's like scooter zip and go fun, scooter efficiency, mini supermoto hooligan character, minus the dorky twistngo styling (aprilia excluded). For more information, watch any one of fooligan's youtube videos.

Groms are like that part early on in Katamari Damacy where everything is bigger than you and the world is super fun to traverse with a wildly different perspective.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

have you tried one specifically the z125 or grom? they are very fun and ride larger than you think.

I took one up into twisties and it was way more fun than my cbr600rr.

Either those are some 20kmh twisties or you need to give me your cbr.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Don't you ride a 400? :crossarms:

I kid, your bike is a beauty.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It's a 650 :colbert:

Which is still a long way from a 220-pound 125cc.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I don't understand how the modern 125cc lil'uns (top speed about 60 mph) have less top end than my 1994 GN 125 (top speed 65).

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I've seen multiple times people say on here riding slow bikes fast is fun, what's wrong with ringing out a 125?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My question isn't so much about the engine size as the actual size.

Here it is alongside a normal-sized 125 (left) and a CB500F, which is a middleweight but still a fairly small bike these days.

It's like a monkey bike. I don't get the appeal.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

It's like a monkey bike.

It's a road legal monkey bike. That IS the appeal.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah its a cheap cool tiny thing that you can ride to work or whatever. but if you're only going to have one bike i would at least look at the r3 or cb500-series

the grom seems tailor made for serious bike enthusiasts with at least one in the garage already. people who want tiny city things are looking at scoots

dude didnt' give us anything more than 'wants a small bike' so

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slide Hammer posted:

I don't understand how the modern 125cc lil'uns (top speed about 60 mph) have less top end than my 1994 GN 125 (top speed 65).

Emissions regs, probably?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

aerodynamics is my guess

a cruiser style has better aero than a sumo style bike. wayyy less cross-section.

but only way to know for sure is to put the grom engine in a 125 cruiser

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I like it bc it's proportional to me

tjones
May 13, 2005
Groms can get it up easier than an R3. I'm waiting for them to drop in used prices a tiny bit more to pick one up as a parking lot hooligan bike.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I rented a grom in Victoria with my fiancee (she rented a small scooter) and thought it was a piece of poo poo. It wasn't particularly comfortable or interesting and obviously it was dog slow.

idk what I was expecting but with all the nerd hype over them I guess I was expecting more. I would have been happier on her 50cc scooter

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I dig the Grom (and see its place in the market) partly because it's super approachable. The small size and relatively neutral styling seemed to go over well in my first MSF class. My wife is intimidated by motorcycles, but when she saw our neighbor's GROM (with matching luggage, adorable), she quipped that she would 'totally ride that'.

Now I just need to convince her to sign up for the MSF, buy a Grom, and let me hooligan around on it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Schroeder91 posted:

I've seen multiple times people say on here riding slow bikes fast is fun, what's wrong with ringing out a 125?

Having actually ridden the hills on a 13hp 125 sportsbike i can say it's really pretty miserable. It's hard to rail the corners when you can't build up enough speed beforehand because every straight is a crawl. Hills are absolute death. Absolute pace-wise there isn't much between a 250 and a 400 for example but the difference between a 250 and 125 is huge.

Yes it's all well and true to say just never brake but the reality, at least in my neck of the woods, is that a lot of corners are really slow and having to steam up to 100kmh from 50 is really tedious after the first few times. You spend most of your time tucked in and waiting while the engine monotonously screams it's tits off, staring at the speedo crawling it's way past 90. A 250 vastly improves on that. And that's on a bike with a fairing and normal sized wheels etc.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I would choose a Grom over the Kawi simply because they seem to be maintaining their value really well on the used market, and if you get one and find that you don't like it as much as the hype seems to indicate you may, then it would be easier to sell off a GROM than a KAWASAKI GROM PRO I SWEAR IT'S JUST LIKE A GROM.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The Grom from the factory has a whopping 8hp, you can hop it up to 15hp with various aftermarket parts.

There's the real attraction to the Grom though - there is loving HUGE aftermarket for it. It kinda fits the same niche the Ruckus did with people who want to drop way too much goddamned money on a little underpowered bike and customize the poo poo out of it. Two of many examples you could find on Google:

Groms apparently also make pretty decent little hooligan machines - there's apparently a huge Grom stunting scene in Thailand where they're made, and people race them here state-side.

If you don't think that looks fun there might be something wrong with you.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

It kinda fits the same niche the Ruckus did

Without being a hilariously overpriced, infuriatingly underpowered, ugly, useless pile of poo poo that attracts shitbag hipsters who believe it's an ok machine because they plan to replace 95% of it with better components right away.

"No it's not slow because replacing the engine is the first required upgrade you have to do!" ~every ruck owner.
"I bought it because it's a great 3000 platform to dump 10000 in parts into so I can have an ugly snowflake bike!" ~also every ruck owner
"No, it's fun because I have to go everywhere by gps bicycle directions because I can't do 45mph" ~guess

Conversely, the grom is useful and fun and decently built out of the box.

edit:
Look at this. There is even a vape in the picture because of course there is. Those fully converted groms are beautiful, and still useful on normal people roads. This is as good as a ruck gets.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 15, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i see a lot of those hideous ruckuses around here. When they deign to give the wave i give them a thumbs down so they can reflect on the actions that led them to riding that.

im really confused at people buying a new ruckus when the grom exists. The prices are so similar and a motorcycle license is pretty much the same effort as a scooter one in most of america so its not really any easier to start on a ruckus

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 15, 2017

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

This is exactly the discussion I was looking for, thanks!

I'm 187cm, so not short. I have sat on both 2017 model year bikes at the local motorcycle show back in February. I fit perfectly on the Groms. The Z125 requires an aftermarket rearset (One of the three local Kawa dealers had a Z125 on the floor with different rearsets installed - I fit perfectly on that one).
Taking that into account, both bikes technically now cost the same.

Prior to me owning my Goldwing, I commuted on a stock ruckus for two years. Sold it to buy the 'Wing and my wife's bike. Thanks to the absolutely ridiculous price of them - this was actually possible.

To elaborate on why I'm thinking of these two, one is for commuting in the spring/summer/fall. The other is for bombing around town and riding a slow bike fast. In addition, the local road course has a Grom class. They also run a 1:1 exchange on volunteering as a corner worker for track day vouchers.

I do not live near any mountains nor are they any serious twisty roads near me.

I won't be taking this bike on any long trips due to having an eight-month-old puppy, so for any extended duration excursions, he's coming with us and thus four wheels are required. For now, anyways, I will have something with a sidecar at some point in the future.

Based on all the input - consensus is Grom due to much larger aftermarket support and resale?

Edit: Further elaboration on local terrain.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 15, 2017

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ya sounds like you're in that weird place where a grom is a decent decision. Go with it due to aftermarket availability, not because it's a better or worse bike out the door.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Coydog posted:

Look at this. There is even a vape in the picture because of course there is. Those fully converted groms are beautiful, and still useful on normal people roads. This is as good as a ruck gets.

I've made it this far without really knowing what a Ruckus is, but the $5k asking price made me search my local CL. Thankfully most of them were more like $1k, which is still a waste of money, but then I came across this ad:

If you really want a scooter, the Yamaha Majesty 400c scooters sell for less than $3k in the area, and have a 90 to 105mph top speed, depending on what you read. I've ridden one before, but have zero desire to come close to their top speed, they still feel like a scooter in all the bad ways.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he spells just like the type of person who I would imagine rides that.

I get ricing up scooters in countries where you have to get provisional small cc licenses first but it makes no sense in the US

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/6059808916.html
This looks like a really well modified PoS. Im so glad he dynoed it otherwise we could have missed all that power.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 19, 2017

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

My bad if this is the wrong thread to be posting this in or if this entire post is retarded, first time in this section.

I want to break into the wonderful world of motards, I've been riding snowmobiles for about 7 years now. I want something to do when sled season is over and its warm out.

As far as my experience with bikes goes when I was like 10/11 I had a mini suzuki DRZ that I would only get to ride on rare weekends but was pretty good with shifting and riding it, but that was obviously yeeeears ago and it was a little baby 50cc. Should I jump straight into supermotos (If I do I'm leaning heavily towards buying a DRZ-400SM) or should I instead get a dirtbike and get better at riding that first?

The reason I want a supermoto is because I live in the suburbs, theres like 0 trails. I originally was gonna just get a dirt bike for the summer and rely on my cousin to trailer up to his home in the countryside with trails every weekend but I know I'd get addicted and I'd hate not being able to ride during the weekdays, unless I just say gently caress it and go full #bikelife :cop:

My dad is currently in his midlife crisis and he used to ride when he was a youngin so he bought a Harley and a leather jacket from banana republic last summer. If I got my permit I could probably get him to ride with me until I got my license, and he'd help me through the process.

Any input from guys who jumped straight into supermotos or street bikes in general with no experience would be cool. Like I said I've been riding snowmobiles for a long time but thats a pretty different riding experience than a bike and I haven't ridden an actual dirtbike since I was 11. If I do get a dirtbike I'm leaning towards a 125 2-stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hawg11 posted:

My bad if this is the wrong thread to be posting this in or if this entire post is retarded, first time in this section.

I want to break into the wonderful world of motards, I've been riding snowmobiles for about 7 years now. I want something to do when sled season is over and its warm out.

As far as my experience with bikes goes when I was like 10/11 I had a mini suzuki DRZ that I would only get to ride on rare weekends but was pretty good with shifting and riding it, but that was obviously yeeeears ago and it was a little baby 50cc. Should I jump straight into supermotos (If I do I'm leaning heavily towards buying a DRZ-400SM) or should I instead get a dirtbike and get better at riding that first?

The reason I want a supermoto is because I live in the suburbs, theres like 0 trails. I originally was gonna just get a dirt bike for the summer and rely on my cousin to trailer up to his home in the countryside with trails every weekend but I know I'd get addicted and I'd hate not being able to ride during the weekdays, unless I just say gently caress it and go full #bikelife :cop:

My dad is currently in his midlife crisis and he used to ride when he was a youngin so he bought a Harley and a leather jacket from banana republic last summer. If I got my permit I could probably get him to ride with me until I got my license, and he'd help me through the process.

Any input from guys who jumped straight into supermotos or street bikes in general with no experience would be cool. Like I said I've been riding snowmobiles for a long time but thats a pretty different riding experience than a bike and I haven't ridden an actual dirtbike since I was 11. If I do get a dirtbike I'm leaning towards a 125 2-stroke.

Complete a beginner riding course and get a DRZ. They're good learner bikes. Also stay away from your dad. He's a bad rider and you don't want to pick up his habits. :lmao: at a Banana Republic jacket.