Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

corn in the bible posted:

Cardboard Box A posted:

Kill.Switch was the real patient zero of modern third person cover shootmans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfMe5Vo4G1I
Gears took 90% of its gameplay from it. Even RE5 embraced the third person cover shooting of it and gears.

didn't winback have that before it
winback had a similar cover shooting system but kill.switch is the template for Gears and all of its clones, down to stuff like blindfire and rolldodges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

exploded mummy posted:

there's a decent chunk, though some of it might be in Grimoire Nier.
I looked it up and yeah it looks like everything I was confused about was literally the entire plot of the original Nier.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

While we're talking third person shooters, can we talk about Freedom Fighters and how it's one of the best ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UgNG6w5HSo

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Kill.Switch was the real patient zero of modern third person cover shootmans

plz dont pull out posted:

While we're talking third person shooters, can we talk about Freedom Fighters and how it's one of the best ever?

I have nothing to add other than the completely objective assertion that these are two of the best games ever made. And that Gears of War suuuucks.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've spent the past three hours trying to turn the video game title "kill.switch" into a joke about the Nintendo Switch

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
And all we got was this post.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah that was it, that was the joke

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

And all we got was this post.

"Post" is one letter off of "Rost"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snak posted:

"Post" is one letter off of "Rost"

horizon is a good game

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

corn in the bible posted:

horizon is a good game

:yeah:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

xblades is truly as bad as the legends foretold

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

xblades is truly as bad as the legends foretold

now play blades of time

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I only said that because your​ Avatar makes me feel like Aloy is always watching.

And I will always do good by her.

Praise to the all mother.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I remember I knew this idiot once who thought any game that was linear was automatically poo poo and that japanese people had "something wrong with them" because they were ok with their games being on rails.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lurdiak posted:

I remember I knew this idiot once who thought any game that was linear was automatically poo poo and that japanese people had "something wrong with them" because they were ok with their games being on rails.

And that idiot's name... was Todd Howard

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I like linear games and open world games, if they're good. Not sorry, Poverty Ghost.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the main thing i think when playing horizon is how much i wish it wasn't open world because it'd be so much better

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I like the world in it. It can be a bit too sprawling, but I like cruising around it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I want an open world Hitman game in the style of the 2016 one with the exact same attention to detail in every single block of whatever city they model.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The world design in Horizon is really good. It's probably the least offensive of any 50+ hour open world game I've played. Piecing together what areas are supposed represent the remnants of different parts of Colorado + Utah were worth the exploration in itself.

Compare this to the Division, which somehow manages to recreate lower Manhattan with painstaking attention to detail and do absolutely nothing interesting with it. Such a waste.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I had fun with MGS5 whenever people weren't talking and I wasn't forced to manage an oil rig, but the open world was the emptiest most meaningless one I've seen since the city in No More Heroes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

For serious though the main appeal of open world games when I play them is that I can go traveling and go look at cool places. If they have neat things to do or look for, that's even better - Saints Row IV comes to mind, as does Witcher 3 (tho I haven't done much in that game yet) - and to an extent LA Noire.

So if someone mixed that with Hitman's absurd sense of detail and gave me things to do outside of all those elaborate ways to kill people, I'd be in heaven.

... Unfortunately it'll never get made because making a level that big is too expensive, but hey, a girl can dream. And at least Hitman's getting another season, so what I'll lack in giant maps I'll have in variety.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I kinda liked the open world in mgs5 because it meant I could drive fast in a bouncy four-wheeler while blaring "we're the kids of America."

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

The world design in Horizon is really good. It's probably the least offensive of any 50+ hour open world game I've played. Piecing together what areas are supposed represent the remnants of different parts of Colorado + Utah were worth the exploration in itself.

Compare this to the Division, which somehow manages to recreate lower Manhattan with painstaking attention to detail and do absolutely nothing interesting with it. Such a waste.

Yakuza 0 is a perfect recreation of very small parts of Tokyo and Osaka in the 80s and is amazing for it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I got Ending E for Nier Automata. 41 hours. My primary goal over the past couple of weeks was to go through it as quickly as possible as the zeitgeist surrounding its story seemed to be reaching a fevered pitch among avenues I was likely to frequent, whether it's twitter or boards or whatever. So now that I've gotten to the end I'll probably take a step back and go about it at a more measured pace. I was so close to getting all of the sidequests done I figure I might as well see that through.

Overall, I think I'm going to need some time to digest the whole thing before I give an overall assessment, but overall yeah it was quite memorable. There are a lot of minor plot points that I kept asking myself "I wonder if this elaborated upon in either the original Nier or Drakengard", but I suspect the vast majority of it is just flavor text I'm not really meant to know every sordid detail for.

Personally I liked the ending at the time but I came to like it more in the days that followed as I kept thinking about it, especially how it could have been entirely negative (the messages you get are left by actual people and have some really lovely ones possible) but the whole experience was supportive

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Who's the game designer that talked about how he'd love to make an "open world" game that's basically contained to a single painstakingly detailed city block? Because that honestly sounds pretty rad. Now watch and it's gonna turn out that was Peter Molyneux or something.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Who's the game designer that talked about how he'd love to make an "open world" game that's basically contained to a single painstakingly detailed city block? Because that honestly sounds pretty rad. Now watch and it's gonna turn out that was Peter Molyneux or something.
It was Warren Spector.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqC2gQWhfEI

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

This post inspires me to want to take a stab at making a 90's platformer in my next game jam.

You should and I would play this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Horizon did open world extremely right for many reasons but the main one is that I really felt like I was exploring out of a sense of wonder rather than being fueled by plot progression

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKbH2D7GZIU
The random gently caress YOU JOHN in the middle is hilariously GOTTA BE EDGY

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I had a dream where I was playing a pixelart space colonisation game. You'd fly to a planet and pick a spot on a rotating globe, and then you'd get a colony on a 2d world map (sorta civ-scale) and have to build little turrets and mining operations and defend against little low-res robots. It seemed fun. You could get out of the colony and walk your astronaut around the map like the little dude in blaster master. I landed on some islands off of the mainland and there were tiny pixel elephants there.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
You had me at pixel space colonization game.

For real though, that sounds a lot like RimWorld which is a very fun "space colony"/"watch all your dudes die while having panic attacks" sim.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

my favorite series is dead

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
zelda's open world really destroyed my illusions for other open worlds, the ability to actively choose my own path through the world whether by following a trail or climbing directly over a mountain to get to the other side really did fulfill the "you can go anywhere!" claim that most open worlds tend to be lackluster at

also I am once again interrupting game chat thread to talk about transformers

the one transformers review guy I watch is back and I felt like sharing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_0iwdynXRc&hd=1

he's a lovable lunk who's got good video editing skills and his enthusiasm for the stuff he's reviewing is infectious, his best stuff is mostly the Knockoff Beatdowns where he gets a whole lot of bootleg garbage and destroys them verbally, then physically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKv5E1cl3CU&hd=1

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Kins posted:

It was Warren Spector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9q8oxkhnvI

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I liked the open areas in xenoblade chronicles because it was fun to explore and find the secret areas and stuff, even if there were several places I couldn't explore safely due to high level enemies existing.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Captain Invictus posted:

zelda's open world really destroyed my illusions for other open worlds, the ability to actively choose my own path through the world whether by following a trail or climbing directly over a mountain to get to the other side really did fulfill the "you can go anywhere!" claim that most open worlds tend to be lackluster at

also I am once again interrupting game chat thread to talk about transformers

the one transformers review guy I watch is back and I felt like sharing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_0iwdynXRc&hd=1

he's a lovable lunk who's got good video editing skills and his enthusiasm for the stuff he's reviewing is infectious, his best stuff is mostly the Knockoff Beatdowns where he gets a whole lot of bootleg garbage and destroys them verbally, then physically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKv5E1cl3CU&hd=1

This just reminded me that I have some fancy Transformers Megatron (basically a replica of the one I remembered having as a kid) that I ordered from Japan or something like 15 years ago when I was a lot younger, dumber, and actually had disposable income. It's in my basement somewhere and I should probably take it out and sell it before my kid finds it and destroys it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

The Kins posted:

It was Warren Spector.

A long time ago when I first heard about Warren Spector I thought he was the same guy as Warren Buffet and I couldn't figure out why a mega billionaire was making a Mickey Mouse game.

• Locked thread