Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

air- posted:

The Handmaiden (newest Park Chan Wook film) is now on Amazon Prime :allears:

Saw this in the theater, it's real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

That adaptation of The Road sucked. There weren't even any catamites!

The Proposition is good, good, good. Bringing it back around to Nick Cave territory. Hopefully someday his script for Gladiator 2 will see the light of day.

We should do a marathon of the The Proposition, The Rover, and The Road.

Call it The Blow Your Head off Because of Sadness trilogy or something

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I was wondering how he was going to justify Maximus surviving the end of the first one, and I'm on page 7 and if it's going where I think it's going, holy poo poo its brilliant. This movie needs to happen.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I was wondering how he was going to justify Maximus surviving the end of the first one, and I'm on page 7 and if it's going where I think it's going, holy poo poo its brilliant. This movie needs to happen.

Um, he's called Gladiator now. Pay attention.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I guess my issue with the Fargo show is that while it's really well made, really entertaining, and generally well acted, I feel like the Fargo name only hurts it. I feel like when I watch it I am painfully aware of what they were going for and how much it misses the mark. The only major similarity to the movie is that it tries to pay homage to the Coen brothers style and I just think it tries and fails consistently.

it frequently uses abrupt, brutal violence, but the dark humor isn't there most of the time, the impact isn't there most of the time. It just feels violent for the sake of violence. A lot of the oddball characters are just out of place too. Billy Bob Thornton's character and especially Mike Milligan seem like they would be more at home in a Tarantino movie than a Coen film. Both of them and their constant monologues and blabbing got old really fast. Also Milligans 2 main henchmen are a good example. They are twins that dress funny, but their isn't anything interesting about them. They look like something from a Coen film, but that is about it. Also, the Coens make a lot of films about bumbling idiot criminals, but most of them in the show are portrayed and stoic or clever and all around badass. Those are just a few examples but the whole show feels like that to me. A lot of what they are going for feels pretty off.

I think it would be a better show if it carried it's own namesake and didn't have the pressure to be "like a Coen Brothers film", which was literally what FX pitched to the creators since I guess they owned Fargo. The Fargo name just makes it feel redundant and gives it certain expectations to live up to that it didn't need in the first place.

That said, I can't stop watching it fwiw.

The idealization of criminality is a great point. You can definitiely see that in Malvo, and to a lesser extent the criminals found in season 2. There's isn't that flat butt of the blade pressing against all their slick moves and hoped for capers, reality saying hey guess what, criminals are dumb as poo poo. That sort of moralizing theme, that could be more present, yeah.

edit:

wizard on a water slide posted:

While I hope season 3 doesn't have quirky hitmen in it, I guess it's important to remember that the Coens also adapted No Country, which is one of the most unfunny movies about a badass hitman who's clearly supposed to represent something more than a man ever made. Billy Bob's character in S1 felt like it was drawing inspiration from that, and saying "what if Chigurh were a cavorting, Puckish devil instead of an indifferent God?"

I think part of that Tarantino vibe you picked up in S2 might've just been because that character (Mike?) was a 70s blaxploitation character - a big influence on Tarantino's "house style" and imagination as well - slightly out of time in the 1980s being forced to change.

I agree the show isn't the perfect thing some people seem to think but I love it a lot and think S2 in particular is absolutely crackerjack television, hitting a lot of the marks that prestige TV with fancier pedigrees than "FX original" fails to.

Yeah, but chigurh gets hit by that car in the end, puncturing his sense of mystique. That was a part totally inserted by the Coens, and I think its illustrative of what their trying to do. We're all idiots, being spun around by a tornado called fate.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 14, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, but chigurh gets hit by that car in the end, puncturing his sense of mystique. That was a part totally inserted by the Coens, and I think its illustrative of what their trying to do. We're all idiots, being spun around by a tornado called fate.

no, that part's in the book too. the Coen screenplay pares down the dialogue a bit and cuts a scene here and there but other than that it's extremely faithful.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What's the exact line in No Country where Tommy Lee Jones is loading a horse into a trailer and his wife goes like "don't get hurt" and he goes "never do" then she says don't do something else and he goes "I'll try"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

What's the exact line in No Country where Tommy Lee Jones is loading a horse into a trailer and his wife goes like "don't get hurt" and he goes "never do" then she says don't do something else and he goes "I'll try"

"Don't hurt nobody" "If you say so."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Carla Jean scene at the end of the movie does make it seem like the Coens are making a statement about the nature of Chigurh that's not necessarily in the book. In the book Carla Jean just goes along with the coin toss and loses, in the movie she sees through Chigurh's bullshit in a way that nobody really had up to that point.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The Carla Jean scene at the end of the movie does make it seem like the Coens are making a statement about the nature of Chigurh that's not necessarily in the book. In the book Carla Jean just goes along with the coin toss and loses, in the movie she sees through Chigurh's bullshit in a way that nobody really had up to that point.

Yeah. They also notably cut the bit where Chigurgh delivers the money to the guy who hired him.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Shageletic posted:

This is maybe one of the most consistent themes of all their films, now that you mention it. Hmm. Plus in A Serious Man the tornado was literal.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
New MST3K is kind of lame.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm liking it so far.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I think it's appropriately twee for the reboot of a show whose cult/D.I.Y. territory has gone much more mainstream, but I think the biggest hang-up is its over-realization. Like, Reptilicus is not a badly shot movie, and because they now have the technology, the 'theater experience' is enhanced, with the more cinematic, modern TV ratio, and the smaller, longer shadowrama seats. And so the problem becomes that my actively being drawn in by obscure, low budget, and trash cinema undermines my ability to really 'get' the jokes. Whereas before, the jokes and the punishing ways in which they were often delivered (especially in the Joel era, sometimes willfully 'hack,' self-deprecating) were integral to interpreting how to sit through this awful presentation of an apparently bad film. Now, it's literally just a relatively high quality digital restoration of the film, with cut-out cartoon sprites popping in and cracking. It's like, as annoying as Springy the Spring Sprite, but once again unironically.

edit:

A visual history of Shadowrama:

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 15, 2017

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I'm about a third of the way through this and already wish Ridley Scott made this instead of Robin Hood when he had another chance to work with Crowe. Goddamn, Nick Cave.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I've been watching through Preacher on Hulu, and I can't decide if I like it or not. The three main characters feel like caricatures of their comic counter parts to me a lot of the time, but they really did a decent job of fleshing everybody else out. It keeps almost losing me, but then wins me back by either pulling up at the last second or punctuating it with something that's a lot of fun. It kind of just plods along is by probably my biggest problem right now, but if they ever hit the road that may fix some of that. I just don't know.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I've been watching through Preacher on Hulu, and I can't decide if I like it or not. The three main characters feel like caricatures of their comic counter parts to me a lot of the time, but they really did a decent job of fleshing everybody else out. It keeps almost losing me, but then wins me back by either pulling up at the last second or punctuating it with something that's a lot of fun. It kind of just plods along is by probably my biggest problem right now, but if they ever hit the road that may fix some of that. I just don't know.

I only watched the first 3 episodes, but just finished the comic. That first trade is pretty drat rough, so I'm optimistic this will settle down as well. I had read the first trade a few times and could never motivate myself to get further until recently, and once I pushed past it finally understood why people like the series.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Apparently every pile of poo poo on Netflix is a 97% match for me now if it vaguely resembles a genre I like. Great job Netflix

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yeah it's terrible. Maybe it takes time for the algorithm to figure poo poo out

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Just finished 13 Reasons Why. The last 3 or 4 episodes were brutal. It's definitely a show to force your lovely middle school kid watch.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

girth brooks part 2 posted:

It's an uneven show, but the highs are great. I like it much more than the comic overall, it's quite a loose adaptation and that's to the show's benefit. It picks up later, too.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

veni veni veni posted:

Apparently every pile of poo poo on Netflix is a 97% match for me now if it vaguely resembles a genre I like. Great job Netflix

Thumbs Down

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

A MIRACLE posted:

Yeah it's terrible. Maybe it takes time for the algorithm to figure poo poo out

I assume people are only bothering to go back to rate the stuff they like, so there's a hundred ups to every down.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't rated anything since the switch. I'm assuming it's counting a thumbs up for everything I rated 3 stars plus.

I want to send netflix hate mail they hosed up my recommendations so bad argh.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
The worst part of Netflix is that "My List" appears in a completely random order every time I look at it on my Xbone. Plus, when I deleted a ton of it on my computer to make it easier to find stuff it didn't carry over to the Bone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. My list. No way to curate it so if you have a lot of stuff on their it's useless. Recommendations. worthless. But oh hey their star rating system is pretty good at determining stuff I'd like. better get rid of that too. I guess I'm just using instant watcher for everything because the worlds biggest streaming service can't craft a remotely competent user experience on it's own.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm about a third of the way through this and already wish Ridley Scott made this instead of Robin Hood when he had another chance to work with Crowe. Goddamn, Nick Cave.

The last fifteen pages or so are gloriously insane. And bear in mind, Cave had been clean from drugs for almost a decade when he wrote this, this was not a heroin-fueled fever dream.

Edit: I was just going through some of my old interview notes. During one of our conversations, Cave and I talked for over an hour about his screenwriting style and process, and so I had to ask him about this script. He said Crowe told him, and I'm paraphrasing, "Look, there's no way this loving thing will ever get made, so just put every lunatic idea you have into it and just have fun with this." And Cave was paid like $300,000 to develop it.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 15, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
So who's gonna be the guinea pig to give Sandy Wexler a try?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
No one, and gently caress you for asking.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
You say that now The Puppy Bowl, but soon we'll get a nine page essay from K. Waste about the unsung heroes of the middle class in Sandy Wexler

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Franchescanado posted:

You say that now The Puppy Bowl, but soon we'll get a nine page essay from K. Waste about the unsung heroes of the middle class in Sandy Wexler

Lol at the poser who thinks I write about "the unsung heroes of the middle class," like, wtf

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

So who's gonna be the guinea pig to give Sandy Wexler a try?

AV Club actually liked it, I might give it a shot this weekend. Apparently Sandler actually put a bit of effort into the character, and it's not a mean-spirited movie like pretty much everything he's done has been lately.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
In the future people are going to retroactively think Vanilla Ice was a bigger star because Adam Sandler keeps casting him in these things

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had this weird moment where I was like "hey it's Penn Jillette maybe this won't be so bad" and then I remembered I can't stand Penn Jillette and wondered why I thought that for a second.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Filthy Hans posted:

It's an uneven show, but the highs are great. I like it much more than the comic overall, it's quite a loose adaptation and that's to the show's benefit. It picks up later, too.

I finished it up, and it certainly picks up in the back half. I wasn't expecting or wanting a straight adaption of the comic because, as even the creators have said, it just wouldn't work at all in a different medium. It won me over in the end, and I'll be checking out the next season. They muted several of the problems I had with the three mains and started to do interesting things with them, and from the finale it looks like they'll be hitting the road next season. They even managed to include a few moments that felt so incredibly Ennis, like Clive bayonette charging the church, I'm kind of amazed he didn't write them.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I had this weird moment where I was like "hey it's Penn Jillette maybe this won't be so bad" and then I remembered I can't stand Penn Jillette and wondered why I thought that for a second.

This exact thing happens to me when I pass Celtic music on the radio, and I have no idea why.

The latest season of Archer gets back to basics and it's great. I was ready to give it up but they re-focused on the office comedy and joke writing and it feels a lot like season 1.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

So The D Train is, uh, interesting

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Yo I just watched schindlers list and downfall are there any other dope WWII movies on streaming?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yo I just watched schindlers list and downfall are there any other dope WWII movies on streaming?

Every WWII-era documentary that was added
Patton
Flame & Citron
Flame & Citron
Flame & Citron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Every WWII-era documentary that was added

Why We Fight: The Battle of Russia in particular is amazing
(all of that series are worth watching though)