Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Found this image on reddit:

Kinetic sand sticks together so it... doesn't get everywhere. No clue if its soft and smooth though. PREQUEL MEMES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It'd be awesome if Hayden and some others did a panel. I wanna hear em speak. :(

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Ok I think I've heard all the background whispers.

"Help me Obi-Wan," when zooming in behind Leia.

"..seduced by the Dark Side," on Vader's helmet.

"Surrounds us, binds us," on the books.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Vintersorg posted:

The more Adam Driver the better IMHO!!

Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver are the driving interest in this film. Jon Boyega is good, Daisy Ridley the weakest of the group.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

jivjov posted:

Well, saying "No, she will not be in IX" seems to be pretty cut and dried. I'm guessing Leia either dies in VIII (which they can't reveal now, for the reasons you stated above), or that there's going to be a timeskip between VIII and IX that will let them write her out easily.
I'm really not sure that Disney would sign off on killing off her character. They may just find some other way to write her out of the story.

I liked the way they handled Leonard Nimoy's death in Star Trek: Beyond, where they decided to quietly have Original Spock die offscreen and the Quinto Spock is informed about it. It's a little thing, not a huge deal, but there's a nice moment at the end of the film that touches on Nimoy's death which worked for me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I liked how Fast and Furious 7 handled Paul Walker's character with the montage and general ending to his arc.

Not sure something like that would fit in the new Star Wars though.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
If they go with offscreen death for Leia, the best route might be to show Kylo Ren finding out. There's lots of potential there, especially since it wouldn't be a shock if he were inadvertently responsible. Since it's offscreen, though, the difference between that and killing his father would be that it would be a consequence of his decisions, rather than a decision that he has direct control over.

The route I'd go would be to show him realizing how the galaxy as a whole experiences his decisions- he decided that he has to be Darth Vader, and because of that people lose their loved ones. Not as some sacrifice to become stronger or better, just as a result of a decision by someone who never really thought about what the cost of achieving their goals might be for other people.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 15, 2017

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Rather than going out with a jar and collecting some sand, he buys a packaged children's toy.
Never has Stars Wars fandom been so perfectly defined.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

So are the rumors true about Finn being gay with Poe? :huh:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

wyoming posted:

Rather than going out with a jar and collecting some sand, he buys a packaged children's toy.
Never has Stars Wars fandom been so perfectly defined.

The joke is that it's kinetic sand, which sticks together instead of... getting everywhere.

RandomWalsh
Feb 16, 2012
I just love the soundtrack with both Luke and Rey's themes layered together at the beginning of teaser. Nice touch.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

I liked the way they handled Leonard Nimoy's death in Star Trek: Beyond, where they decided to quietly have Original Spock die offscreen and the Quinto Spock is informed about it. It's a little thing, not a huge deal, but there's a nice moment at the end of the film that touches on Nimoy's death which worked for me.

Spock's death is a huge deal in that film. Spock and Kirk are both dealing with mid-life crisis brought on by outliving versions of themselves, mirrored in Idris Elba's arc.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

teagone posted:

The joke is that it's kinetic sand, which sticks together instead of... getting everywhere.

Having a three year old nephew, I can say, that poo poo still gets everywhere. But fair point, I was just conflating it with the other story.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I'm interested in what the opening crawl is going going to be. Are they going to recap the two seconds between movies?

UmOk fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 15, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

I'm interesting in what the opening crawl is going going to be. Are they going to recap the two seconds between movies?

I'm guessing it'll be part of the "why did Luke leave" exposition. Kinda like how the episode VII one had a bit about Leia's resistance, this one will probably recap Han's summary of why Luke hosed off to Space Ireland.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The opening crawl was designed to mimic the recap of serials, so just straight up retelling TFA would actually be the most appropriate (if boring) thing.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

UmOk posted:

I'm interested in what the opening crawl is going going to be. Are they going to recap the two seconds between movies?

It will probably set the stage for what the Resistance and First Order are up to at the start of the film. Just because we're picking up right where Rey left off doesn't mean we know why people are fighting over whatever planet the war stuff is taking place on.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

UmOk posted:

"The New Republic is in chaos, and the First Order is moving in to pick up the broken pieces. GENERAL LEIA is marshaling her RESISTANCE to stop them, and sends her best pilot to get help from an unlikely source. Meanwhile, REY finds herself at a crossroad, as she will try to receive training from a hero from the past..."

Only make it longer so it's 3 paragraphs, and have someone who's better at writing write it up. Point being, there's plenty they can say to set things up. Because I didn't even mention what Snoke might be up to.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hodgepodge posted:

It will probably set the stage for what the Resistance and First Order are up to at the start of the film. Just because we're picking up right where Rey left off doesn't mean we know why people are fighting over whatever planet the war stuff is taking place on.

"Little does Luke know that the FIRST ORDER has secretly begun construction on a new armored space station even more powerful than the first dreaded Starkiller."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

OhFunny posted:

Ok I think I've heard all the background whispers.

"Help me Obi-Wan," when zooming in behind Leia.

"..seduced by the Dark Side," on Vader's helmet.

"Surrounds us, binds us," on the books.

As far as I can tell, that's almost certainly Kylo Ren's hat and not Vader's.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Davros1 posted:

"Little does Luke know that the FIRST ORDER has secretly begun construction on a new armored space station even more powerful than the first dreaded Starkiller."
Well, they have to defend against radio free yuuzhan vong.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

UmOk posted:

It is a dark time for the
RebellionResistance. Although the Death
Star
Starkiller has been destroyed,
Imperial First Order troops have driven the
Rebel Resistance forces from their hidden
base and pursued them across
the galaxy.

Evading the dreaded Imperial First Order
Starfleet, a group of freedom
fighters led by Luke Skywalker General Leia
has established a new secret
base on the remote ice world
of Hoth
an even less visually-striking single-biome planet.

The evil lord Darth VaderKylo Ren,
obsessed with finding young
Skywalker Rey, is tracking her her to her fateful meeting with Luke Skywalker....

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just recast Princess Leia. Boom, solved all the problems.

This would actually explain why they went from "Carrie Fisher is in Episode IX for sure" to "Not in it an all, nope no sirree."

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Davros1 posted:

"Unbeknownst to Luke, but knownst to us..."

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I want them to keep the scroll for the numbered movies, but I will say, I rather liked the opening to Rogue One. Extra fun when you watch it with someone who didn't know that they'd removed it. I remember there was a ripple of unexpected gasps in the theatre. Especially since they kept "a long time ago...0

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I am anticipating being disappointed when all of this "it's time or the Jedi to end" stuff is the set up at the beginning of the film just for a reluctant Luke to realize "there's too much at stake!" and basically get right back into Terminator mode for the third act.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I am anticipating being disappointed when all of this "it's time or the Jedi to end" stuff is the set up at the beginning of the film just for a reluctant Luke to realize "there's too much at stake!" and basically get right back into Terminator mode for the third act.

I understand that the more stories you see, the more easily you can predict the story beats, but if that pattern recognition is leading you to anticipate disappointment before the movie is even out, it's probably time to step away from genre fiction.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
So basically the opening crawl is not going to be anywhere near as exciting as the first seven.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

WAR!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Exactly. That one filled us in on three years of a clone war that took place off screen

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I liked that one. It was pulpy and corny, just like them movies.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Just recast Princess Leia. Boom, solved all the problems.

This would actually explain why they went from "Carrie Fisher is in Episode IX for sure" to "Not in it an all, nope no sirree."

LucasFilm's response when asked about that was any talk of her appearing in Episode IX came from her brother, and he was 'confused' during discussions with them.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Does everyone know about the Bigger Luke Hypothesis? Could come into play in this movie:

http://biggerluke.wikidot.com/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jewmanji posted:

Does everyone know about the Bigger Luke Hypothesis? Could come into play in this movie:

http://biggerluke.wikidot.com/

Without Han Solo in the movie for reference not really seeing how The Last Jedi can contribute to this.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

By the fourth trilogy, the Bad Guys will be making a Death Star knockoff about once per scene.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Neo Rasa posted:

Without Han Solo in the movie for reference not really seeing how The Last Jedi can contribute to this.

Can reference Han->Rey->Rey->Luke

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Last Jedi opens with Rey holding out the lightsaber to Luke and him turning around just like how Force Awakens ended, but then it cuts back to Rey and she looks confused, camera pans around and Luke is inexplicably slightly shorter than Rey, his first words are "We got a BIG problem."

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I'm really hoping the movie starting exactly where the last one ended is just bullshit.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I'm putting all my money on the movie opening with Hux flying Kylo back to Snoke with their tails between their legs, then cutting back to Rey and Luke on the island.
Can't imagine the movie not starting in space after the crawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

As soon as the crawl finishes smash cut to Luke saying to Rey "It is time...for the Jedi to end" and it cuts a montage of him slaughtering any other church of the force/whatever members.

• Locked thread