Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Tomato posted:

The best part about Jackbox 3 is that two of the game hosts are Arnie and Chunt from Hello from the Magic Tavern
They need to get Usidor in the mix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Its framerate drops constantly though, and rpboably spends most of the time at 20 fps

digital foundry did a video and said the framerate on the switch version is a fairly steady 30, the problem being that it spends some time in the open world bouncing between 25-30 fps so it can feel stuttery. for people not bothered by slight framerate drops it's probably not an issue (this is the same console we all played breath of the wild on after all). it's a shame that it's not a fully consistent 30 but saying it spends most of its time at 20 is an exaggeration.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

enojy posted:

Did anyone here get Has-Been Heroes? A lot of GameStop plantspeople on Reddit are saying it's actually pretty good, and that it just got shafted in a lot of reviews because a.) pre-tuning patch and b.) they suck/disnt spend enough time learning the game. I keep dwelling over it since Isaac has made me realize I think I love the poo poo out of roguelikes.

I am really enjoying HBH. It has a UI that doesn't want to tell you anything and it doesn't explain poo poo about how to play it so you have to be willing to work through that, but there's a good game hidden behind that.

And from watching video reviews, people seem to have failed to understand the few bits the game does try to explain and hated it because of that.

Tips, including some poo poo the game never explains!
If you deal exactly as many hits as the enemy has stamina you will stun them. Stunned enemies take full damage (a combo that goes over stamina does reduced damage with the extra attacks) from the next combo and permanently lose stamina. This is important!
Freezing - frozen enemies take full damage from attacks, but regain their stamina afterwards.
Your warrior starts the game dealing big damage, use him to hit stunned/frozen enemies when possible to get the most damage.
Fire - fire burns things. If you hit a burning enemy you are now on fire and taking damage.
Regen - Characters actually slowly regen health in battle, so occasionally catching fire isn't bad
You can swap lanes as much as you like when a character attacks. Swap everyones lanes, swap them back, swap again, take the time to plan out your next series of combos. The game pauses when you attack for a reason.
If you swap lanes so that you are behind the enemy, you will hit each of them on the way back. If you are on fire, you will set them all on fire.
If you double back on the map you burn a candle. This only applies if you go along the same route though, going to a node you already visited is fine as long as you take a different route to it (eg if you went horizontally through a crossroads, going vertically through it later is no problem)
Press the left thumbstick to examine your items, this will reveal important things like the knight deals bonus damage on his next combo after casting a spell.
Some spell slots have bonuses to spells. This does only apply to the spell in that slot but it can be quite helpful.
Enemies with an element symbol next to their health are immune to that element.
Every time you beat the game you unlock a new character, and a new map is added to the amount you must complete before you face the final boss (starts at 2 maps, apparently caps at 8). Check the characters equipment in game to see what makes them unique. You can't see this from the hero select menu, because this game has a terrible UI.
Crits dont just do more damage, they will also do damage through enemy stamina. Your Rogue starts with +crit and stacking some more +crit and +damage on her is a good idea. She attacks 3 times, meaning shes probably going for high stamina enemies anyway, but it also means she's going to get more out of that +10 damage item.
The first time you encounter a spell or item it wont tell you what it does, but all following runs will know what it is.

Theswarms fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 15, 2017

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Patter Song posted:

Reggie has said that Netflix, Youtube, and Amazon Video "will come in time," but "will come in time" is a pretty vague sentence.

I'm angry because i can't access WiFi due to website login pages. Just had to tether my Switch to my phone and use about 600 MB to get pogu Tetris demo.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I have about 60 Virtual Console games between the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS (ambassador). If Nintendo could figure out their account and licensing system to make it user-centric instead of by platform it would be amazing.

Having those on the Switch would cripple me with love.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

I dont recall sega releasing a master system called turbo grafx but the very wise and retro knowledgable nintendo thread to the rescue i guess.

I don't know is why you're getting insanely, ridiculously angry, it was on both systems. I can't apologize enough for choosing the one you didn't play it on though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

pippy posted:

I'm angry because i can't access WiFi due to website login pages. Just had to tether my Switch to my phone and use about 600 MB to get pogu Tetris demo.

An applet should pop up when you initially connect to wifi that requires a login

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

parallelodad posted:

An applet should pop up when you initially connect to wifi that requires a login
doesn't for me

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Where are you? I've used it successfully at Starbucks and McDonald's, but couldn't get it to work at the YMCA.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I honestly feel like Lego Coty runs at 15 to 20fps at times in the open world in portable mode. It's ridiculous. Decent game though.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I honestly feel like Lego Coty runs at 15 to 20fps at times in the open world in portable mode. It's ridiculous. Decent game though.

Yeah, the digital foundry analysis was definitely in the docked mode (how could they do an analysis in portable?) because performance is definitely worse when its not docked. Yes, docked is a good 25-30 but y'all cant just instantly dismiss my experience because you think im just being a pollyanna. Portable does do 15-20fps.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm right with you man I swear I've seen it go down to even 5 at times. Still fun but wow how did they ship that.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yeah, i just watched the video and the person who said that 20fps was an exaggeration clearly never finished the video enough to get to the point where they said that the portable mode was clearly worse lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly just dont buy games from WB anymore

they are fun games that could be really good if they weren't phoned in

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yeah, the digital foundry analysis was definitely in the docked mode (how could they do an analysis in portable?)

It'd be more difficult, but you could just take live feed of the game running in portable mode from an external camera and comb through the footage there to look for individual frame drops. They did this back in their BotW coverage. For analyzing graphics quality/differences it's a bit more tricky, since there they had to take individual screenshots with the internal screenshot function to compare against.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Infinitum posted:

They have loving nailed the aesthetic. Every scene is absolutely gorgeous.

The only thing that gets me on the look of the game is the checkerboard boxes. They seem so out of place against the nice art.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Hot take: plague knight is far far faaaar superior to shovel knight

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 15, 2017

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

It's funny that BotW is the most demanding Switch game so far, so naturally it's the opposite of most games and runs better in tablet mode. Nintendo's optimization is something else.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Thought I'd sell my Wii U on Amazon, what a waste of time. I jumped through all of their hoops, passport, authorisation, confirmations, it was endless. I get to the "sell" page and it says I'm locked out due to needing authorisation to sell from Nintendo. They want a receipt (from how long ago?) and literally a letter from Nintendo mentioning me by name saying I can sell.

So, where can/should I sell this thing?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

Thought I'd sell my Wii U on Amazon, what a waste of time. I jumped through all of their hoops, passport, authorisation, confirmations, it was endless. I get to the "sell" page and it says I'm locked out due to needing authorisation to sell from Nintendo. They want a receipt (from how long ago?) and literally a letter from Nintendo mentioning me by name saying I can sell.

ebay or craigslist

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I don think I'm ever doing ebay again, selling stuff sucks. Maybe I can get like 100 from gamestop

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nolgthorn posted:

Where are you at? I've had luck with LetGo (but be ready for idiots trying to haggle/do trades).

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Where are you at?

Europe

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Ah. Then I have no recommendations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Kashuno posted:

:same:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Biggest Has-Been-Heroes tip that comes in especially handy against late-game bosses (I'm looking at you, ear-zombie):

If an enemy is stunned (they have a decreasing yellow bar indicating their remaining stun time) and you back-attack them with a character returning to lane, it will reset their stun timer. You can do this indefinitely.

Comes in real handy when you need to push your lanes out. Though it doesn't seem like it first, most bosses seem to only spawn a fixed number of minions. Except maybe that dad-gum ear-zombie.

chaleski posted:

It's funny that BotW is the most demanding Switch game so far, so naturally it's the opposite of most games and runs better in tablet mode. Nintendo's optimization is something else.

Of all the pre-release rumors of defects, this was the only one that potentially concerns me. My TV is barely 720p to begin with (it may be slightly less), and I know HDMI can communicate resolutions across the cable. If the always-upscales-when-docked, regardless of target system resolution, thing is a function of the hardware and not something they eventually patch in software, I'm gonna be slightly disappointed in Nintendo.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Kashuno posted:

Agreed, along with Spector knight

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I could never get in to Shovel Knight but those DLC characters seem a lot more fun. If that's the case I might actually try it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bleck posted:

Most Switch users probably have smartphones, and most smartphone users probably have access to the internet that they can tether to their console.

Bingo. I tested Jackbox while tether to my phone and was able to get the room code and everything.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Is there a fix yet for the bug where if your Switch is docked but in sleep mode, it changes the HDMI input on your TV? I know it is a problem with newer Samsung TVs because I have had this issue since I got my switch.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Fly with me posted:

Gamestop has this bundle up for preorder.
I am interested in everything included, but it doesn't ship until the 28th, and if my math is correct, there is no discount for bundling everything together.

So the question is, do I preorder now at the higher price to get get a switch in two weeks, or wait and see if I can snag one sooner, and get all the stuff later?

Forced bundles are lame, but a guaranteed Switch is cool and good. At least they aren't making people buy 1 2 Switch or whatever. The only questionable game in that bundle is Has-Been Heroes which a few goons have said is good and even if you aren't interested in it you could sell the code.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Patter Song posted:

Reggie has said that Netflix, Youtube, and Amazon Video "will come in time," but "will come in time" is a pretty vague sentence.

I need Netflix so I can watch all of my favorite Fox programming

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

enojy posted:

Did anyone here get Has-Been Heroes? A lot of GameStop plantspeople on Reddit are saying it's actually pretty good, and that it just got shafted in a lot of reviews because a.) pre-tuning patch and b.) they suck/disnt spend enough time learning the game. I keep dwelling over it since Isaac has made me realize I think I love the poo poo out of roguelikes.

Get Has Been Heroes. Play it. Kill skelles.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Is there a fix yet for the bug where if your Switch is docked but in sleep mode, it changes the HDMI input on your TV? I know it is a problem with newer Samsung TVs because I have had this issue since I got my switch.

I either undock it or just turn it off, I died a few times playing Nioh due to this.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

It's a Samsung TV issue with other devices and no option to disable it :( My sound bar sometimes makes the TV switch over to its channel which is just a static logo.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Feenix posted:

The only thing that gets me on the look of the game is the checkerboard boxes. They seem so out of place against the nice art.

This was the most jarring thing to me, it's bizarre and it draws attention to how dated the rest of the game feels.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I bought shovel knight : spectre of torment and I am enjoying it on my nintendo switch system. Never played any of these games before and have no idea what I'm doing, game has less tutorial than dark souls.

Have a few questions for shovel goons. Whats all the loot I'm collecting used for? Why aren't my lives going down when I die? What's the "Darkness" Meter at the top for? I'm only using jump and slash, am I missing anything? What the hells a curios? Are those bits with the wings where I die my loot - like collecting your souls in dark souls?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Crafty posted:

I bought shovel knight : spectre of torment and I am enjoying it on my nintendo switch system. Never played any of these games before and have no idea what I'm doing, game has less tutorial than dark souls.

Have a few questions for shovel goons. Whats all the loot I'm collecting used for? Why aren't my lives going down when I die? What's the "Darkness" Meter at the top for? I'm only using jump and slash, am I missing anything? What the hells a curios? Are those bits with the wings where I die my loot - like collecting your souls in dark souls?

:darksouls: :gitgud:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Print media classifieds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Crafty posted:

The loot is in-game currency that you can eventually spend. There is no lives system. You start with just jump and slash but will get more abilities later (note that you can air slash enemies by jumping, then pressing Y when the slash mark appears over an enemy or obstacle). The darkness meter is spent on abilities you don't yet have. Curios give you abilities, which you will get later. The bags are indeed your money, the amount you lose is proportional to how much you had when you died.

• Locked thread