Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Real talk the maraca dance owns and I never skip it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I unlocked the camera. I hope I'm not the only person who instantly dumped out my inventory to take pictures of everything. Also my only fairy, which flew away before I snapped it. Then I realised I should have let it out inside a house. Oh well, I will go visit the Clown Box again. Also looking forward to the beatings Link is going to get taking pictures of monsters.

Also also I am one of the people who got the game before the Switch.

Oh, and are you supposed to get one of those Blood Moon things the next night after you hear about them but it goes away really fast? Or is that just what they do, bring back the monsters and then gently caress off?

e: also this game loving rules

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

We need to put that blushing pose that Link made when you get presented with the Gerudo set into the OP.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

Oh, and are you supposed to get one of those Blood Moon things the next night after you hear about them but it goes away really fast? Or is that just what they do, bring back the monsters and then gently caress off?

Blood Moons are a clever memory-saving development trick to reset the game after you've modified enough things (mainly monster kills, but a few other things too). You can definitely influence the frequency of blood moons by just going on a total rampage.

jokes posted:

We need to put that blushing pose that Link made when you get presented with the Gerudo set into the OP.

nominating this

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 14, 2017

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

ProjektorBoy posted:

nominating this

I nominate a .gif of a great fairy giving you the #4 upgrade.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Is it wrong to be horribly terrified of guardians early in the game? I just got to Hateno village, saw a shrine out in the ocean and said hey lets go. Get inside and its a guardian that i cant seem to do any damage to.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Dead Like Rev posted:

Is it wrong to be horribly terrified of guardians early in the game? I just got to Hateno village, saw a shrine out in the ocean and said hey lets go. Get inside and its a guardian that i cant seem to do any damage to.

Nope this is how it should be

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Real talk the maraca dance owns and I never skip it.

New equipment slots are nice, but I'm finding these korok seeds so I can see the maraca dance once more.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dead Like Rev posted:

That's exactly right. It's even worse when you run into one out in the wild and you've still only got like 5 hearts and a bunch of lovely weapons and oh god it just keeps following me and there's nowhere to hide

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

That's exactly right. It's even worse when you run into one out in the wild and you've still only got like 5 hearts and a bunch of lovely weapons and oh god it just keeps following me and there's nowhere to hide

"I'm pretty far from it so I should be able to aaaaand he's locking on me and dashing my way gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress"

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

GobiasIndustries posted:

You run into one out in the wild and you've still only got like 4 hearts and a bunch of lovely weapons and oh god it just keeps following me and there's nowhere to hide

- me the first time I attempted Central Tower not 15 minutes after leaving the plateau

Finished the game last night, definitely have to echo how dorky and lame the Of the Wild set looks. I saw the requirements for upgrading and stormed hyrule castle without upgrading it.

Definitely thought the first phase of Ganon was a cool fight but except for gliding up and letting time stop for a good 5 seconds in perfect timing with the music before delivering the final blow the second phase was kinda disappointing. The ending scene with Zelda was really charming, though, I was half expecting Link to say a word or two as the last line of the game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GobiasIndustries posted:

oh lord

the first one I ran into "proper" (after seeing them from a distance around hyrule castle and noping the gently caress east) was one up in the foothills around kakariko, which was freaky but I was up on a cliff so I was like "I guess I can take some potshots at it and see if it's weak to anything" and my idea was to drop bombs on it, because bombs are usually pretty good in zelda games right?

they were not good

they were not good at all

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

"I'm pretty far from it so I should be able to aaaaand he's locking on me and dashing my way gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress"

Makes it all the sweeter when you manage to kill your first one. :getin:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Trying my Master Sword against a Guardian for the first time and cutting off a leg by accident and watching the Guardian reel back as the music shifted tone from ominous to triumphant was a cool moment.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

GobiasIndustries posted:

The first time a Guardian chased me was a fantastic moment where I hid behind a four foot section of broken wall, managed to steal a bokoblin's horse and then rode this veering untamed horse to safety through a hail of death beams. This is a very cool video game and also I named the horse Silly Leg.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The opening seconds of the Guardian theme are the purest distillation of utter panic I have ever heard in a video game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah running into guardians at first is terrifying. And it's supposed to be that way, early on you definitely should run from them

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah running into guardians at first is terrifying. And it's supposed to be that way, early on you definitely should run from them

Run from them and then throw the controller when they put an energy bolt up your rear end from what seems to be an impossibly long range.

I haven't played many games in which the whole late game reversal of power is more gratifying.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Underwhelmed posted:

Run from them and then throw the controller when they put an energy bolt up your rear end from what seems to be an impossibly long range.

I haven't played many games in which the whole late game reversal of power is more gratifying.

The only problem is I tend to play in handheld mode so the controller is the whole console so like gently caress, what am I supposed to throw now?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I saved the Zoras. I hope all the Divine Beasts are that interesting. Dunno if I was supposed to do that one first, I did a lot of running and just barely scraped through the boss. Speaking of
Which, I didn't get a photo of it, can you get it in the compendium thing?

Also I think I'm gonna goof off and climb towers for a bit. Been exploring and I think I spotted the bird beast. And saw something really cool in Lake Hylia. I'm glad I managed to avoid basically any spoilers, there's a ton of neat things to find

Haven't played a 3D Zelda since Wind Waker, it feels very different but in a good way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

McDragon posted:

Well I saved the Zoras. I hope all the Divine Beasts are that interesting. Dunno if I was supposed to do that one first, I did a lot of running and just barely scraped through the boss. Speaking of
Which, I didn't get a photo of it, can you get it in the compendium thing?

Also I think I'm gonna goof off and climb towers for a bit. Been exploring and I think I spotted the bird beast. And saw something really cool in Lake Hylia. I'm glad I managed to avoid basically any spoilers, there's a ton of neat things to find

Haven't played a 3D Zelda since Wind Waker, it feels very different but in a good way.

I don't think there's a real order to the beasts but I ended up doing that one first.

As for the compendium photo, yes you can get it elsewhere. Spoiler: at one of the labs you can purchase photos of monsters and items

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ProjektorBoy posted:

nominating this

Counter-nomination

edit:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As for the compendium photo, yes you can get it elsewhere. Spoiler: at one of the labs you can purchase photos of monsters and items

Can you get all of the photos from there?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Sam Faust posted:

Counter-nomination

edit:

Can you get all of the photos from there?

All but like...four? The Bow of Light, Silver Lynel, both Ganon forms. With that said, I took pictures of most things, so there may be more that you can't buy that I just already had, so it never came up. But definitely at least those four.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Minor thing I was curious about: at what point exactly does the amiibo rune become unlockable? From firsthand experience, all I can say is that it's somewhere between beating Oman Au's trial and getting the paraglider.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

All but like...four? The Bow of Light, Silver Lynel, both Ganon forms. With that said, I took pictures of most things, so there may be more that you can't buy that I just already had, so it never came up. But definitely at least those four.

You also can't buy Master Kohga or any of the Blight bosses.. Though, this only applies to playthroughs where you haven't beaten ganon. Once you have, you can buy any and every picture

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Sam Faust posted:

Counter-nomination

Seconded

Edit:

Just curious, has anyone tried to go strictly overland from, say, the Hawa Koth shrine (bottom left corner of the map) to the Akkala Lab (upper right) without warping? Any word on how long such a journey would take?

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 15, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The Lobster posted:

Seconded

Edit:

Just curious, has anyone tried to go strictly overland from, say, the Hawa Koth shrine (bottom left corner of the map) to the Akkala Lab (upper right) without warping? Any word on how long such a journey would take?

If I were to hazard a guess, it would take about 10 minutes, depending on if you could rustle up a Sand Seal in the bottom left corner to get you to the closest Stable. Once you're on a horse, I can't imagine it taking more than 10 minutes to get to the Akkala lab.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Lobster posted:

Seconded

Edit:

Half an hour, or several days, depending on how prone to being distracted you are.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I was taking a look at the earliest version of the map you can see in the first teaser way back. A lot of it is the same, but it's neat trying to spot later additions.

(This one has the great plateau and the borders from the E3 demo overlayed on the original)

Lots of little changes in geography here and there of course, but the most prominent changes i can spot are the additions of the labyrinths, the removal of whatever that circle in the Gerudo Highlands was, and putting Hyrule Castle on it's own island. Mt. Agaat seems to have been added later, but you can't climb it :iiam:

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 15, 2017

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Scratch-O posted:

Minor thing I was curious about : at what point exactly does the amiibo rune become unlockable? From firsthand experience, all I can say is that it's somewhere between beating Oman Au's trial and getting the paraglider.

Really? Mine got added when my slate got upgraded at the Hateno lab, along with the camera rune. Is this a difference between WiiU and Switch? (I'm on WiiU.)

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

You go to the options menu to turn it on, you can do this from the very start

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

El Burbo posted:

You go to the options menu to turn it on, you can do this from the very start

Ah, right. The option was greyed out at the very beginning, so I never bothered to check again until the rune came up at the lab.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

What does filling out the Hyrule Compendium do? do you get anything for taking pictures of everything?

Also, just want to say this game is amazing. I've done about 45 shrines and 3 of the divine beasts so far and I'm still constantly finding new poo poo even though I have all the map towers activated.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

What does filling out the Hyrule Compendium do? do you get anything for taking pictures of everything?

Not really. Purah's assistant gives you a sealed envelope with what is likely a photo of a young Purah. You can't do anything with it, as in, you can't even see the photo.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't think there's a real order to the beasts but I ended up doing that one first.

good to know, thanks.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

The Lobster posted:

Seconded

Edit:

Just did it. Akkala to Hawa Koth: ~23 minutes but that's with hoofing it to Garudo Town sans sand seal.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
did you at least have the sand shoes? and why not get a sand seal?

oh wait, ending at the bones

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

did you at least have the sand shoes? and why not get a sand seal?

No and are they any on the north end of the desert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

No and are they any on the north end of the desert?

A couple of wild ones hang out at the bit with all the overhead rock bridges, but it'd take longer to catch them than to run to Gerudo Town.