Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Why did the guy in orange run into the car's path?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Those have been operating for hundreds of years, and now there's a problem?

I assume they got modernized over a long period of time, and it now someone spilled the beans

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Because the alternative was running out in the street in front of other cars?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jeoh posted:

A good question.

People are always at their most logical and forward-thinking when they're about to be mowed down by two tonnes of high-speed metal, so it's very confusing why he did what he did.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I assume they got modernized over a long period of time, and it now someone spilled the beans

Exactly. They actually found tears in some of the bolts in two of the windmills. Not enough to cause a direct danger, but if more bolts break, there'll be trouble.

I'm assuming those specific bolts have been installed relatively recently.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

WrenP-Complete posted:

What happened?

Jet fuel can melt steel belts but not steel beams

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

A good question.

People are always at their most logical and forward-thinking when they're about to be mowed down by two tonnes of high-speed metal, so it's very confusing why he did what he did.

It actually looks like he made a logical decision to him: the skid steer loader was blocking his path in the other direction unless he were to climb over it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Actually he's suicidal but wanted to make it look like an accident.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Holland Windmill Association has discovered that the bolts in a certain construction of windmill sails/blades cannot quite handle the constant stress put upon them during operation. 48 windmills in the country are built with this specific construction. They may no longer operate until their blade construction has been completely replaced. A windmill blade ripping and flying off would be somewhat dangerous.

Replacing the blades for all 48 affected windmills would cost millions, so the Association is asking the Dutch government for help, as it's their OSHA regs that require the windmills to cease their operation. It looks like the government is willing to help.

The windmill owners hope a solution can be found within a month, because then there'll be the National Windmill Days when all windmills open their doors for tourists.

To clarify: these traditional windmills are basically all museum pieces that still work. They grind flour or whatever which you can buy, if you prefer locally produced stuff over factory produced flour.

Oh man, imagine how hot it's gonna get this summer without those windmills cooling them off.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't understand how grinding flour makes enough energy to power the windmills

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dolphin posted:

i don't understand how grinding flour makes enough energy to power the windmills

Ground flour is explosive. it works like an internal combustion engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d37Ca3E4fA

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Dolphin posted:

Carbs, my dude. It's why bread makes you fat.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It must be the evil gluten in the flour that causes all these problems.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

Ah, so the pound of butter I put on every slice doesn't have anything to do with it. Good to know.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Powershift posted:

Oh man, imagine how hot it's gonna get this summer without those windmills cooling them off.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Windmills actually do make it hotter. Wind is nature's way of balancing heat, it shifts the heat from places that are hotter to places where it is cooler. If windmills use too much wind (which is a finite resource) they will add to global warming.

Well that's according to Congress.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Holland Windmill Association has discovered that the bolts in a certain construction of windmill sails/blades cannot quite handle the constant stress put upon them during operation. 48 windmills in the country are built with this specific construction. They may no longer operate until their blade construction has been completely replaced. A windmill blade ripping and flying off would be somewhat dangerous.

Replacing the blades for all 48 affected windmills would cost millions, so the Association is asking the Dutch government for help, as it's their OSHA regs that require the windmills to cease their operation. It looks like the government is willing to help.

The windmill owners hope a solution can be found within a month, because then there'll be the National Windmill Days when all windmills open their doors for tourists.

To clarify: these traditional windmills are basically all museum pieces that still work. They grind flour or whatever which you can buy, if you prefer locally produced stuff over factory produced flour.

My grandpa restores windmills and did one of these about a decade back. If it is the bolts that lock the blade panels in place then some kinds of modern lag bolts just won't cut it against the shear (?) stresses. Apparently the older construction called for wooden pins that had a bit more flex to them. In general though, all windmills require almost constant maintenance of this sort or another.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They could also slow down the earth and make the day longer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Windmills actually do make it hotter. Wind is nature's way of balancing heat, it shifts the heat from places that are hotter to places where it is cooler. If windmills use too much wind (which is a finite resource) they will add to global warming.

Well that's according to Congress.
I hope somebody fired back with the case studies about using for example Gulf of Mexico wind farm complexes to mitigate the expected increase of Gulf hurricanes and midwestern tornadoes due to increasing Gulf temperature in line with global warming trends.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Wind is nature's way...

God's way, you heathen

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
I wonder if any private corporations are interested in purchasing the CSB brand name now its being shut down. They could use it to say all their operations are CSB certified for PR and in case of lawsuits after incidents, while they are able to set what standards and requirements it says are "good enough".

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Powershift posted:

Ground flour is explosive. it works like an internal combustion engine.

GM did make a direct coal fuelled turbine car during the oil shock so it wouldn't be a stretch to make something that would run on flour.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Applebee123 posted:

I wonder if any private corporations are interested in purchasing the CSB brand name now its being shut down. They could use it to say all their operations are CSB certified for PR and in case of lawsuits after incidents, while they are able to set what standards and requirements it says are "good enough".
Its not even dead yet (its probably dead) and you're planning on carving it up.

The same sort of tasks the CSB does is done in parallel by insurance company funded organizations to keep a thumb on the state of the art to use when underwriting, but that's not really a process that thrives on brand recognition.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oohhboy posted:

GM did make a direct coal fuelled turbine car during the oil shock so it wouldn't be a stretch to make something that would run on flour.

Technically, in western countries, most bicycles run on flour :goonsay:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Applebee123 posted:

As long as the people who makes the videos still do their thing, I'd be happy.

(Though stopping the avoidable industrial deaths would be a nice bonus, too)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

They could also slow down the earth and make the day longer.

I mean, they're propellers so if we build too many of them, the Earth might take off!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Making your great grandma's dildo

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm king in here! *Dies*

You will take NOTHING from me, foreman. I laid low your utility workers of old. I instilled terror in the hearts of men. I AM KING UNDER THE EXCAVATOR!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wmcD3aM8X4

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010

schmuckfeatures posted:

My bet is South Africa again. You know. Non-whites gettin punished and all that.

They drive on the left there.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Dolphin posted:

Nth Doctor posted:

Powershift posted:

I love you guys.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, talk about a learning experience :allears:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Crosspost from the Sumo thread

https://twitter.com/PyT9AUoQrqx0TtU/status/853494718881177600?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/Jy0905U.gifv

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

What was the objective here?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

As a former airport worker, I can't give this enough love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Crazycryodude posted:

What was the objective here?

Maybe he was trying to appease the angry underground river god with a gift?