Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Let's be honest both forms of the tournament were pure garbage.

Super only got worth watching when Future Trunks returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Caros posted:

the Manga seems to be written by someone who gives slight amounts of fucks about keeping some semblance of order to the power scaling.

Wow, that's worse than anything anyone else has said about it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Wow, that's worse than anything anyone else has said about it.

Yes, because logical consistency in fictional works is terrible. :jerkbag:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Worrying about power scaling in a franchise where power has always fluctuated wildly and success comes not from who is more powerful but the themes of the fight generally does tend to lead to Star Wars EU Syndrome though where there's more focus on the fictional hard numbers than the actual ideas behind it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Caros posted:

DB has never had that really.

Power is judged only on the narrative convenience scale.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
you know what's dumb:

Goku saying Trunks and Goten don't think outside the box enough to fight when one of their Fusion's techniques is trapping an opponent in a magical volleyball.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

sassassin posted:

magetto was awesome don't make me fight you

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

sassassin posted:

Frost and Magetta owned.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Universe 6 just needs to keep a guard on Botamo's legs and they will win.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Kanos posted:

Frost and Magetta owned.

And so did Cabba. And Hit. Almost like that whole arc was pretty good?

Saying SSB drains them of energy is going against the whole point of having god power, which was having total control over yourself so as to not use energy pointlessly.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 15, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dosn't the manga guy just get an overview of plot points from toriyama and free reign on how to connect the dots? even if something's different, it's not like he's going out of his way to spite the show or w/e

Stallion Cabana posted:

you know what's dumb:

Goku saying Trunks and Goten don't think outside the box enough to fight when one of their Fusion's techniques is trapping an opponent in a magical volleyball.

I thought he said the problem was that they wouldn't take it seriously

and I mean he's right

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Manatee Cannon posted:

dosn't the manga guy just get an overview of plot points from toriyama and free reign on how to connect the dots? even if something's different, it's not like he's going out of his way to spite the show or w/e

Yes.

Both manga and show are produced by the same process. Toriyama sends a copy of his outline to both, who expand as necessary for their mediums.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

sassassin posted:

Yes.

Both manga and show are produced by the same process. Toriyama sends a copy of his outline to both, who expand as necessary for their mediums.

Not quite. Multiple interviews have stated that contrary to the anime, Toriyama works directly with Toyotaro on the manga. Most of his oversight tends to be making sure the sense of humor is still correct, but he's said a few times he approves of what Toyotaro does, and would love to see more of Toyotaro's own ideas.

Caros
May 14, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

DB has never had that really.

Power is judged only on the narrative convenience scale.

This isn't really true though.

While power scaling tends to advance in ludicrous leaps and bounds, there is always some sort of in setting catalyst for it. Zenkai, super saiyan, kaio ken, whatever. This ability is stronger than that ability, this person is stronger than that one until they aren't as a result of some new twist.

The problem is that super tends to just sort of shrug it's shoulders when it comes to strength of various characters, particularly in the Goku black stuff.

Trunks fights black at the start of the plot and gets his rear end handed to him by Black in his base form. Twenty episodes later he manages to temporarily hold off black in rose(Before his super saiyan rage thing) despite nothing having changed.

Or Black himself. He gets stronger for no adequately explored reason multiple times over the course of the fighting. I guess we are supposed to assume it is a zenkai, but it breaks every rule of that particular power boost so who knows.

It would be like piccolo getting back up and fighting semi perfect cell getting wasted by imperfect. Strength in Dragonball is fluctuates, but usually with a reason.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kurui Reiten posted:

Not quite. Multiple interviews have stated that contrary to the anime, Toriyama works directly with Toyotaro on the manga. Most of his oversight tends to be making sure the sense of humor is still correct, but he's said a few times he approves of what Toyotaro does, and would love to see more of Toyotaro's own ideas.

In the interview I read with both of them Toyotaro was a massive fawning fanboy, it didn't seem like there was a close working relationship.

He probably does get a lot more input than Toei due to the slower nature of the production process.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Just lol if you don't think SSB Kaioken is cool as balls and is thus canon

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Caros posted:

Trunks fights black at the start of the plot and gets his rear end handed to him by Black in his base form. Twenty episodes later he manages to temporarily hold off black in rose(Before his super saiyan rage thing) despite nothing having changed.

I'm telling you, man - Trunks' new form (yellow and blue aura) runs on the power of "Smug Gods Talking poo poo". Since he had an infinite source of smug, he could have fought anything or anyone, on that day, in that situation. Super Saiyan Give A gently caress is a powerful transformation.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Caros posted:

While power scaling tends to advance in ludicrous leaps and bounds, there is always some sort of in setting catalyst for it. Zenkai, super saiyan, kaio ken, whatever. This ability is stronger than that ability, this person is stronger than that one until they aren't as a result of some new twist.

The problem is that super tends to just sort of shrug it's shoulders when it comes to strength of various characters, particularly in the Goku black stuff.

Or Black himself. He gets stronger for no adequately explored reason multiple times over the course of the fighting. I guess we are supposed to assume it is a zenkai, but it breaks every rule of that particular power boost so who knows.

It would be like piccolo getting back up and fighting semi perfect cell getting wasted by imperfect. Strength in Dragonball is fluctuates, but usually with a reason.

Nothing changed? He trained with Vegeta.

Dragon Ball operates on the "training with/fighting stronger people makes you jump in power by leaps and bounds" logic.

Black obviously powers up by fighting Goku in a similar way, and since they have the same body, he unlocks the same stuff. As soon as Goku shows him a new level of ability, he starts picking it up himself.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
The manga is cool and fun, the anime is cool and fun, this latest episode is cool and fun.

Power Levels are bullshit.

I'm slightly mad they hid 17's wife and kids, but it was a great episode and I loved the reference to Uub at the start of it.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Goddammit Kami you were holding out on us.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

StrifeHira posted:

The manga is cool and fun, the anime is cool and fun, this latest episode is cool and fun.

Actually, if you look closely you'll find that the manga is cool and fun, the anime is fun and good, and that this newest episode is good and our friend :goonsay:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like how 17 is apparently a near top tier fighter now due to training all this time. Nobody just bothered to pay him any attention.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

this is a way better way to bring 17 back than the Super 17 stuff

his personality comes across really well in this episode and feels pretty natural for him to have been off on his own doing his own thing this whole time with how he talks about it. i was worried it wouldn't make any sense

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
After seeing 17's current level of power after training, can we all take a moment to appreciate how good a scientist Dr. Gero apparently was?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

After seeing 17's current level of power after training, can we all take a moment to appreciate how good a scientist Dr. Gero apparently was?

Dr. Briefs/Bulma might as well be as smart as Goku

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

They should wish Dr. Gero back and have him turn Mr. Buu into an android.

Wait! He should turn Frieza into an android while in Hell.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

i just love how Dr. Gero had around what 3 back up plans?

He really wanted to kill Goku.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

17 pwns

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Shindragon posted:

i just love how Dr. Gero had around what 3 back up plans?

He really wanted to kill Goku.

Remember too, when he was building all these cyborgs and androids that range in power from "Stronger than the Galactic Tyrant who has terrorized and enslaved countless warrior species" to "Capable of trading blows with the gods", he was doing it to counter Goku's pre-namek level of strength. The man does not half-rear end his experiments.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Darko posted:

I like how 17 is apparently a near top tier fighter now due to training all this time. Nobody just bothered to pay him any attention.

If you guys want to know how humourless power levels can make people folks on reddit have been complaining about the last five episodes and how everyone so far should have been instantly killed by SSB Goku.

Also that 17 could trained enough to get this strong.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'hey 17, whacha doing'

'saving animals from poachers'

Suddenly SPACE poachers!

I love DBSuper.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder why 17 is a nihilist now.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rutibex posted:

I wonder why 17 is a nihilist now.

Getting eaten alive by an insect's rear end would have that effect on anyone

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Kithkar posted:

Goddammit Kami you were holding out on us.

I wonder if he even knew his house could move, his Dragon Balls were weak poo poo if you remember

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pik_d posted:

I wonder if he even knew his house could move, his Dragon Balls were weak poo poo if you remember

Super Buu destroyed the original lookout. The one they have now with a fly mode must have been created by Dende

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

wait, the Lookout can move?!

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait...

#17 has a family.

They live on another nearby Island.

He has one biological child and two adopted children.

Uub is a child.

Lives on an island.

Nearby to #17's reserve

... No!

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

He put an infinite energy engine inside them so it sorta kinda makes sense that they'd get stronger eventually!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

No, it's absolutely true. You're paying attention to the big power ups and ignoring all the other power ups that people get to remain remotely relevant. Recall that in a year of training Krillin went from being weaker to Goku who was weaker than Raditz to being able to oneshot several Raditz-level enemies with a single attack. Dr. Gero went from making earth-level Androids to making ones that could effortlessly kill the omnipotent galactic tyrant. The reason why it stands out with Saiyans and such is because they ate the show and the other characters got way fewer fights, not because they also didn't get bullshit power ups that put them on the eternal level of 'close to strong enough."

Dragon Ball has always allowed characters to catch up in power. They're never as strong as Goku or Whoever Is The Most Relevant As The Moment (Gohan/Piccolo/Vegeta/etc) but they're always close behind. Tien and Krillin are never Goku level but they still expanded in power absurdly quickly by any means. The post-Raditz power bloat isn't just for Goku, it is for everyone in the series who ever gets into a fight or gets near a fight.

Also Android 17 ooooowns.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Dr Gero created Cell, who has the most OP training powers imaginable. If he just blew himself up a five or six more times he would have unlocked his golden form and become more powerful than Zeno or something.

• Locked thread