Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh the giant king it called a conquerer. That's why people more quickly drew the connection specifically from the king to Yhorm than me.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Check out this gif of me playing Ringed city

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I remember when britian did that with flurries

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Its impressive how she stumbles and dies after two steps. I would take her to a creepy murdercabin in the wilderness.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

veni veni veni posted:

Fake, not enough getting shot by 100 arrows of hate

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Any solutions for this loving microstutter I'm getting on PC? Randomly the game hitches up for 2-5 seconds but there's never anything that seems to specifically trigger it. It's not like some random light source or something (that I can tell) but it guarantees death when it happens while fighting a ringed knight.

I've tried killing steam overlay and turning off nvidia sync in the nvidia control panel because I heard that has issues with DS3 but wasn't sure if someone here had a bette solution

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

You tried this as well?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/365163686085830287/

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

why is this guy so angry

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

He's engaging Reddit idiots, which is a death spiral

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
He is one of those reddit idiots lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

why is this guy so angry

Because loving RETARD SHITHEADS (his words) DON'T UNDERSTAND THE INTRICATE LANGUAGE OF JAPANESE REEEEE or something like that I dunno. He has some interesting insights though!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I can see why the horrible amalgam that is translation idiots, localization idiots, DS lore idiots, and Reddit idiots all together would make someone unbalanced though.
EDIT: To be fair the guy claims to have lived in Japan for 10 years working on translating stuff, and there are so many people online these days that take a 100 hour Japanese course and suddenly think they're hot poo poo.

HGH fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 15, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Because loving RETARD SHITHEADS (his words) DON'T UNDERSTAND THE INTRICATE LANGUAGE OF JAPANESE REEEEE or something like that I dunno. He has some interesting insights though!

As far as I can tell they got annoyed at people who were doing that, doing the whole "but actually..." thing despite being less informed. Still dumb to get mad but it's not completely unreasonable, especially if you're going through that effort for free.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Perhaps not reason enough to be hosting such filenames as "racistcunts.png" and "brianlessfuck.png" and "stupidfucker.png" on your blog but fine.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I mean sure. But he really could have gone "Hey guys, japanese as a language is very different from english, keep in mind that I will purposefully go with a more literal translation as that will in a lot of cases help me to explain cultural nuance of the japanese choice of words" instead of "FUKKAN MORON SHITHADS DON'T GET THE PONITA OLAKDL!" as a lot of complaints he got seemed to come from people complaining his translations weren't up to snuff.

None of this changes that he put a lot of work into this that should not go unappreciated.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

IGgy IGsen posted:

I mean sure. But he really could have gone "Hey guys, japanese as a language is very different from english, keep in mind that I will purposefully go with a more literal translation as that will in a lot of cases help me to explain cultural nuance of the japanese choice of words" instead of "FUKKAN MORON SHITHADS DON'T GET THE PONITA OLAKDL!" as a lot of complaints he got seemed to come from people complaining his translations weren't up to snuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
After puttering around with the aquamarine dagger on my sorcerer, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. It's a pretty versatile weapon and does not suffer from the usual range problems daggers face because the thrust on its weapon art strong attacks gives a ton of distance. Does decent damage (would do better damage but I refuse to wear the awful looking dusk crown) and just generally confuses the hell out of people because no one uses it and so everyone is constantly misjudging distances on my attacks. My only complaint is that I cannot use it and a catalyst in my offhand at the same time because the catalyst overrides the weapon art with its own stupid weapon art. I really wish casters didn't get boned out of being able to easily utilize weapon arts like that. I make do with swapping between two-handing and one-handing it. One thing to note is that you can do an immediate followup attack with the weapon art by tapping instead of holding after a normal R1 or R2. This attack can then be followed with more weapon art attacks.

Edit: This is in PvP if it wasn't obvious. It's ok in PvE too and the FP drain can largely be offset by an offhand with a Simple infusion on it, but it's split damage and suffers the usual problems that entails.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 15, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah catalyst weapon arts are a good idea that is actually a bad idea, because it blocks weapon arts on the types of weapons that usually depend on them. If talismans just had poise, chimes always blessed, ...Uh...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

reddit is a self-perpetuating cyclone of anger and misery, stay away

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Aside from some obvious fuckups, that material is mostly interesting as a look into the nuances of translations of complex Japanese texts and the difficulties of localization. There's nothing there that illuminates significant new aspects of the game.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I like this bit:

quote:

in Japanese the "hollows" are actually 亡者/mouja, which are the wandering lost spirits of the dead in Buddhism

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 15, 2017

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
That translation stuff is great, really interesting, although i am afraid the guy has ruined his personality by engaging with the internet.

I hope someone does that for the other souls games too. You can see little bits of the same issues in em, where the translation shifted the nuance of certain word choices but didn't bring everything else into line ("Seath is a true Undead" as opposed to "true immortal" always jumped out at me)

"Ichorous Earth" being a pure fuckup is funny though, real weird that no one caught that

e: pyromancy actually being "witchcraft" / "folk magic" makes a ton of sense, I always wondered what vomiting boulders had to do with fire

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I really like the boss names like The Duke's Dear Freya or The Last Giant that really set a tone for the fight despite being a few words.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Ichorous Earth" always confused me until I realized it was saying that its earth with the blood of gods in it. which makes sense because the Old Iron King had inherited the soul of Gwyn.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I really like the boss names like The Duke's Dear Freya or The Last Giant that really set a tone for the fight despite being a few words.

This except "Penetrator"

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

New Concept Hole posted:

This except "Penetrator"

Royal Rat Authority had a good run of albums in the late 60s / early 70s but whoever told them about jazz fusion hosed it up

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does anyone know how long the stamina regeneration penalty from the whips WA lasts?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MMF Freeway posted:

He is one of those reddit idiots lol

Speaking of: Vaati actually had a minor like meltdown after someone pointed out that people, once again, made videos about the exact same ideas he did not long before he came to those same conclusions. He got real mad about it. I hope this is the last souls game so nerds like this stop earning money from them.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
The repair powder is so neat it should be a regular gesture.

From please

https://gfycat.com/DarkLegalKrill

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

What's the level range people are playing at now above 120? Is it around 140-150?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I assume its still 120ish since most pvp videos use that level to base their builds on.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does anything actually happen when you give The Girl The Thing you got from The Guy at the end of The Ringed City? Does it change an ending?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Node posted:

Does anything actually happen when you give The Girl The Thing you got from The Guy at the end of The Ringed City? Does it change an ending?

No. Nothing changes, nothing happens.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Node posted:

The dialogue you get from her is all it does. It serves no other purpose. Hope you like underwhelming endings! :v:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Obviously, that painting will be the up and coming Dragons's Souls.

(sorta actually wish this was true)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Node posted:

Is that going to be a game where we have to play as a big clunky, overall frustrating to play as dragon while tiny dudes roll around our feet and chop our tails off?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Node posted:

Priscilla cameo confirmed

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Priscilla Camo, only available if you stamina-kill Priscilla

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i want to like vaati's videos but his delivery is so ponderous and deliberate and his content so thoroughly covered elsewhere that i can't be bothered.

imho the best soulsborne lore piece is that "the paleblood hunt" document

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thank you hbomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRTfcMeqhig