Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Compaction cycles are a hell of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Grognan posted:

Compaction cycles are a hell of a thing.

Im not sure you are in the right place?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Veskit posted:

Yall went and lost yo god drat minds over the past week.

I wonder what changed..

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

In any case, how is everyone in Negrotown doing in Trump's America. It seems like the only time we see everyone is when some bullshit is posted, but it would be nice to see how people are doing on the day to day grind.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

blackguy32 posted:

In any case, how is everyone in Negrotown doing in Trump's America. It seems like the only time we see everyone is when some bullshit is posted, but it would be nice to see how people are doing on the day to day grind.

I'm doing well! I got a full-time job after years in the freelancing wilderness. I helped bunch of my family members take the ACLU protestor training, and my mother-in-law attended her first protest last week and was very excited. She wants to join the black bloc now.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I'm making it. I've been volunteering more with the kids at the school for which my company is the partner of education and been donating and calling my senators and representatives. I have withdrawn from the Trump supporters in my life, which helps a lot, but isn't 100% perfect.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blackguy32 posted:

Just kickin' back, enjoying the fine weather this Sunday, and sipping a cup of Becky's finest:

a friend of the wife designed that mug, if anyone wants one I can get the link

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

blackguy32 posted:

I mostly lurk, but I always read new posts here. I'm doing pretty ok. I'm getting out a bit more and I've started taking self-defense classes. I've also been getting back into activism since the election, naturally, and I'm starting to actually help organize some things which is kind of terrifying. Feels good to be doing things I actually care about, though. Playing lots of video games and going to shows in my down time.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
drat, The Mary Sue has a pretty good article up about whitewashing in Hollywood: https://www.themarysue.com/ghost-in-the-shell-box-office/

quote:

In short, Sanders wants us to believe that this was an economic decision, rather than the product of an inherent bias. And I have no doubt that money does play a genuine role in these casting decisions. It’s just that…whitewashing doesn’t mean money. We’ve seen plenty of proof that there’s no correlation between whitewashing and drawing a large audience.

And with films like Moana, Hidden Figures, Moonlight, and Get Out cleaning up at the box office, the reverse argument–diversity doesn’t sell–is also patently untrue.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wonder if this might help explain the disparity in life expectancy for minorities in general in America.

quote:

My physician explained that ongoing adversity in childhood leads to a chronic state of “fight, flight or freeze.” Researchers at Yale had recently shown that when inflammatory stress hormones flood a child’s body and brain, they alter the genes that oversee our stress reactivity, re-setting the stress response to “high” for life. This increases the risk of inflammation, which manifests later in cancer, heart disease, and autoimmune diseases like mine.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Has anyone ever had any talks with any black republicans? I've never really had the chance to have a meaningful conversation with someone who identified as one. Like the Key and Peele sketch, I know that we as black people aren't a monolith and we're allowed to have different opinions but I'd like to hear some first hand accounts and experiences regarding this.

I can see becoming one as a way of rebelling against what society expects out of you but I feel that at some point you'd have to become self-aware. There's also the fact that black communities tend to be more conservative in some areas of life. I don't know, I just think it's very interesting to think about.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
I have a few friends whose parents are immigrants (Ghana and Nigeria, mainly) and Republican. They just have very conservative attitudes overall and seem to view themselves as very different than US-born Black Americans (as has been discussed in this thread already). They're Christian though--the Muslim African immigrant parents are definitely not voting Republican.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Black Republicans I've know have been either super anti-immigration or make-my-own-destiny tech nerds. They also tend to have military backgrounds.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

there wolf posted:

Black Republicans I've know have been either super anti-immigration or make-my-own-destiny tech nerds. They also tend to have military backgrounds.

This, plus a rather large helping of homophobia and misogynoir.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Morby posted:

This, plus a rather large helping of homophobia and misogynoir.

Honestly, while I've met homophobic black people before, I've never met someone who gave that as the reason they were voting Republican. It's always the more-practical-than-though economic and national security poo poo. Maybe that's just a result of the military connection.

That makes me wonder, do black churches use gays and abortions as political tools the way white evangelical churches do?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

there wolf posted:

Honestly, while I've met homophobic black people before, I've never met someone who gave that as the reason they were voting Republican. It's always the more-practical-than-though economic and national security poo poo. Maybe that's just a result of the military connection.

That makes me wonder, do black churches use gays and abortions as political tools the way white evangelical churches do?

Yes they do. TD Jakes, Bishop Eddie Long, Kim Burrell have all dabbled in homophobic nonsense. There are some churches that teach homosexuality is due to "demons" and other bullshit, same as white evangelical churches, and each of the people I've named have done their own dirt. The "I AM DELIVERT" guy doesn't just occur in a vacuum.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Two of my uncles voted Trump this past round. Both of them retired military, one of them a LT. General. I no longer speak to them. But I used to get into arguments with the one that isn't a General. It would always be the same conservative talking points. But he is pretty well to do and has quite a bit of money.

I would go in hardcore and tell him that the people he was voting for had no problem oppressing the poo poo out of his mother (my grandmother). My grandmother was hardcore Democrat.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Morby posted:

Yes they do. TD Jakes, Bishop Eddie Long, Kim Burrell have all dabbled in homophobic nonsense. There are some churches that teach homosexuality is due to "demons" and other bullshit, same as white evangelical churches, and each of the people I've named have done their own dirt. The "I AM DELIVERT" guy doesn't just occur in a vacuum.

Oh I know about that stuff. My question is more do they say "you need to go to the polls and vote against the gay menace" the way white evangelicals do? I guess I'm curious about how conservative social policy in black churches compares to the political movement that is conservative social policy in white evangelicalism.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
This article seems relevant. A black woman wrote a book about black culture and corporal punishment. She's getting a lot of pushback and there are also some misogynoir elements.

http://slate.me/2ng0uGR

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A very interesting article on combating racist assumptions in search algorithms. One of the activists interviewed mentions, among other things, that she had to wear a Phantom of the Opera-style white mask to get her facial recognition software's attention.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Darth Walrus posted:

A very interesting article on combating racist assumptions in search algorithms. One of the activists interviewed mentions, among other things, that she had to wear a Phantom of the Opera-style white mask to get her facial recognition software's attention.

I've written about algorithmic bias a few times. One of the biggest problems is people assume that computers are unbiased (which is vacuously true) but don't think about bias in input so you end up with poo poo like a police program that identifies potential offenders using arrest history, and surprise that's an input set heavily biased against black men.

Edit: when I'm not on a cell phone I'd be glad to rant about this at length. I'm a software developer and my biggest peeve is all my sheltered white colleagues making dumb mistakes because they don't realize that their input is bad. I wrote an article about it from a gender angle but I won't post it here cuz my real name is on it.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 15, 2017

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

I've written about algorithmic bias a few times. One of the biggest problems is people assume that computers are unbiased (which is vacuously true) but don't think about bias in input so you end up with poo poo like a police program that identifies potential offenders using arrest history, and surprise that's an input set heavily biased against black men.

Edit: when I'm not on a cell phone I'd be glad to rant about this at length. I'm a software developer and my biggest peeve is all my sheltered white colleagues making dumb mistakes because they don't realize that their input is bad. I wrote an article about it from a gender angle but I won't post it here cuz my real name is on it.

I'd like to hear more about this. This sorta stuff has come up a few times to the public at large. I think it was HP a few years ago that had a laptop that would identify you by face and unlock itself, but it didn't work with black faces.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Morby posted:

I'd like to hear more about this. This sorta stuff has come up a few times to the public at large. I think it was HP a few years ago that had a laptop that would identify you by face and unlock itself, but it didn't work with black faces.

The Xbox Kinect has also had issues detecting black people, though perhaps that's been fixed with patches.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

As a trivial example, it turned out that the automatic soap dispensers at the university of Cape Town residences only worked with white people's skin, despite most of the residents being black.

This also got lost because some privileged white rear end in a top hat posted a clip from a video of the forum in which this was raised, in which a black woman student told off a white dude for his colonialist bullshit, and the (white South African) internet went crazy because she was being dismissive of European science.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Darth Walrus posted:

One of the most surprising things in there for me was learning Google and Facebook staff are only 1% black. I mean I knew the tech industry was terrible in every way, but I didn't think it was that bad, like I thought it'd be at least 10% minimum, but nope. Can we just release an EMP into Silicone Valley and start again?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Megaspel posted:

One of the most surprising things in there for me was learning Google and Facebook staff are only 1% black. I mean I knew the tech industry was terrible in every way, but I didn't think it was that bad, like I thought it'd be at least 10% minimum, but nope. Can we just release an EMP into Silicone Valley and start again?

Hell of a minimum... tech is obviously particularly bad, but major universities aren't even up to 10% black students on average.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I had thought I read in the news recently that Google was specifically trying to hire more people of color for this very reason?

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 15, 2017

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Panfilo posted:

I had thought I read in the news recently that Google was specifically trying to hire more people of color for food this very reason?

:stonk:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Phone posting, missed the autocomplete.

Guess swype is racist too. :(

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Hell of a minimum... tech is obviously particularly bad, but major universities aren't even up to 10% black students on average.

I suppose it's white privilege that I actually get surprised by this poo poo consistently. Still, I suppose it's a very good statistic to use when someone moans about affirmative action, but probably not so much when those types of people tend to earnestly think 99% of black people aren't qualified for the same job. I was arguing with some ultra racists who were in favour of Jim Crow style discrimination, and their white supremacy beliefs were very transparent.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 15, 2017

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Megaspel posted:

I suppose it's white privilege that I actually get surprised by this poo poo consistently. Still, I suppose it's a very good statistic to use when someone moans about affirmative action, but probably not so much when those types of people tend to earnestly think 99% of black people aren't qualified for the same job. I was arguing with some ultra racists who were in favour of Jim Crow style discrimination, and their white supremacy beliefs were very transparent.

It doesn't help that vetting for these types of jobs intensifies when you are a minority. I've heard stories of self-taught STEM geeks being able to walk into a tech juggernaut and make money, but it you're not white, they'll ask about your education, credentials, general knowledge, etc.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Forceholy posted:

It doesn't help that vetting for these types of jobs intensifies when you are a minority. I've heard stories of self-taught STEM geeks being able to walk into a tech juggernaut and make money, but it you're not white, they'll ask about your education, credentials, general knowledge, etc.

This happens to me as a woman too, even within my own company when promotion or transfer time happens. Whiteboy techlords believe in their superiority 1000%

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

STEMlords are fundamental attribution error made flesh. Because they're sometimes self-taught they believe they must be atomic supermen to own condos and have a 501K at 27. They're the worst people in the world.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Guess it's the Puritan work ethic applied in reverse; a privileged person easily gets the job which greatly overinflates their sense of competency and hard work. Then this is the lens they see people of color through,if that other person didn't get the job then they conclude it had to do with their arbitrary lack of effort.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Guess it's the Puritan work ethic applied in reverse; a privileged person easily gets the job which greatly overinflates their sense of competency and hard work. Then this is the lens they see people of color through,if that other person didn't get the job then they conclude it had to do with their arbitrary lack of effort.

Well, this is just white supremacy in a nutshell. People get system stacked against minorities, then blame them when they aren't able to do as well as White people.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I think a lot of Silicon Valley companies know a surprising bit about the systems of inequality that strip opportunities from minorities. I think they also conveniently plan any work to fix it as very low priority because they don't give a poo poo.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I know people have already mentioned that racism, much like sexism, isn't a rational stance to take and even in a capitalistic environment companies will lose out on millions to maintain their white supremacist attitudes. But I'm surprised that you wouldn't have some particularly poc-friendly companies that focus in hiring brilliant and talented people screwed over in other companies because of their skin color. I had thought silicon valley was all about poaching talent from other companies and I would think hiring disenfranchised google/Facebook/apple/etc employees would give them a talent pool neglected by the rest of the tech sector.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Panfilo posted:

I know people have already mentioned that racism, much like sexism, isn't a rational stance to take and even in a capitalistic environment companies will lose out on millions to maintain their white supremacist attitudes. But I'm surprised that you wouldn't have some particularly poc-friendly companies that focus in hiring brilliant and talented people screwed over in other companies because of their skin color. I had thought silicon valley was all about poaching talent from other companies and I would think hiring disenfranchised google/Facebook/apple/etc employees would give them a talent pool neglected by the rest of the tech sector.

I definitely do think this does occur in the Tech sector. I know my company has invested pretty deeply into Women, LGBTQIA, and PoC initiatives to try to hire minority talent that, above all else, just wants a place to work at that isn't an actively prejudicial shitpile. No matter how cynical I want to be about their actual motivations, I think it does help give minority talent a better environment to work in. The main problem with poaching talent from other places though is that you're not creating net new talent and you're mostly going to be aiming at more senior positions. Coincidentally, you will find that pretty much every single one of these places that has all of these initiatives still has a 4 year degree requirement for entry level software engineering positions. That alone will block more new talent from ever getting in the door than they can ever hope to poach.

Edit: Also this was brought up recently at Slack discussion at work, and someone indicated that H1-B visa processes strongly encourage requiring a degree for computer programmers as it makes it harder to argue for hiring foreign instead of domestic talent if the position doesn't require a degree: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/nativedocuments/PM-6002-0142-H-1BComputerRelatedPositionsRecission.pdf . Essentially, if your job doesn't require a specific sort of degree, it's harder to argue that it is a specialized field that enables the field to be more easily filled by an H1-B visa holder.

So at least in this regard, immigrant equality and US citizen minority equality are almost directly pitted against each other in terms of how opportunities are generated.

Notorious R.I.M. fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 16, 2017

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I was watching TV and a commercial for this website came on. It was a what the gently caress moment. The commercial:

https://vimeo.com/49472034

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Gaunab posted:

I was watching TV and a commercial for this website came on. It was a what the gently caress moment. The commercial:

https://vimeo.com/49472034

Someone doesn't know black babies are an endangered species.

That cut after the " no, it's abortion" line was awkward. I hope that was just cover-up for the earring dude immediately turning around and walking away when he realized his time was being wasted on bullshit.

• Locked thread