Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

9S, meanwhile, is secretly one of the Animaniacs.

The big twist: He's Dot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Why do they need to retrieve black boxes?
We detonated ours in an enormous fusion reaction, and we were rebuilt just fine. :raise:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

They weren't restored from backup because their models were defective and unable to dodge the world's most telegraphed laser beam.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Why do they need to retrieve black boxes?
We detonated ours in an enormous fusion reaction, and we were rebuilt just fine. :raise:

This actually comes up later.

No really.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

:flipoff:

I spent way, way too long farming those goddamn simple gadgets much later. Of course they'd be in a sidequest that only shows up from the bunker for effectively 2 minutes of game time.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
so Pod was originally carrying an oversized MG?

Now I need to make a servo skull with an AK or two.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Nuebot posted:

My friend's personal theory is that 2B and 9S are skinless like that, we even see our own bodies like that. We just see YoRHa androids as looking exceptionally pretty because that's what they want everyone else to see them as.

I think it's kind of a neato idea.

So they're using holograms to look pretty?

The Dark Id posted:

Also that's an unfortunate angle.

There's nothing unlocked quite yet over there.

These are the parts we need for our network structure, right?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

White Coke posted:

So they're using holograms to look pretty?

Pretty much. Or just constantly hacking everyone's eyes like the laughing man in Ghost in the Shell. At least that's one line of thought.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
That idea is super cool but at least regular non-YoRHa dudes have real faces as proven by the screenshot of poor ol' Accord up there

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

NHO posted:

Hm. Where do bodies come to the terminals?
In the stage play they explain it's the helper cats from Monster Hunter. You never see them in-game because they need to stay hidden from all the killer boar and moose.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rangpur posted:

In the stage play they explain it's the helper cats from Monster Hunter. You never see them in-game because they need to stay hidden from all the killer boar and moose.

this checks out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwUXUzII4xw

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nina posted:

The space lesbians per hour rate of Automata is off the charts.

I can't remember if there are any gay dudes in the game, other than maybe one we see in a side quest later?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Edit: NVM wrong thread! Having both this and the regular Nier thread in my bookmarks makes me mix them up sometimes.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

I can't remember if there are any gay dudes in the game, other than maybe one we see in a side quest later?

There are barely any dudes in the game overall

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Grapplejack posted:

The original Nier had Emil.

I can't remember if there's any in Drakengard. Maybe Leonard in a :pedo: way

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

16D here has hosed up my theory on the names. See, the names have all seemed pretty clear to me since the Os showed up.

B-series are Battle androids, O-series are Operators, S-series are Support.

I have no idea what D might stand for, though.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

16D here has hosed up my theory on the names. See, the names have all seemed pretty clear to me since the Os showed up.

B-series are Battle androids, O-series are Operators, S-series are Support.

I have no idea what D might stand for, though.

Defense/Defensive, maybe? A bit of a stretch, but you could have an android who is specced to protect her more attack focused squadmates?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Defective, because if you stay in the clearly indicated path of an incoming huge fuckoff laser beam, you are defective.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Disposable :v:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dead.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

S-series are Support.

The Dark Id posted:

Scanners like me mostly work alone. Scouting ‘out enemy lines and all that? I don’t usually get a partner. It’s kind of fun!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Dark Id posted:

Remember 2B had that other big sword in the Prologue? Turns out we can go retrieve it if we can make it back to the factory. Good to know...

I would argue with the "don't do quests until a certain point" with this quest. A free greatsword, and you get to pick up some other rewards, including the first guaranteed auto-heal that I know of.

Auto-heal is soo good.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
so i recently read the ol'Drakengard and Nier thread so i could figure out what all the fuss was about with this series and holy poo poo, Taro Yoko, you're my kinda guy. lookin' forward to seeing where this goes. that the weapon descriptions out-Drakengard Drakengard is great, because i'm hoping the final ending of this game out trainwrecks Drakengard as well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Blind Sally posted:

so i recently read the ol'Drakengard and Nier thread so i could figure out what all the fuss was about with this series and holy poo poo, Taro Yoko, you're my kinda guy. lookin' forward to seeing where this goes. that the weapon descriptions out-Drakengard Drakengard is great, because i'm hoping the final ending of this game out trainwrecks Drakengard as well.

I can't help but think that Drakengard and Nier were still relatively normal games, and it wasn't until Drakengard 3 that Taro Yoko really got weird. So if you haven't got through that one yet, you should give it a read.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
haha, i mean, i'll take your word for it. i'm sure Drakengard 3 is even weirder, but to suggest that it makes Drakengard 1 "relatively normal" by comparison? that's a pretty loving high bar to clear, 'cause the first game was already super weird. I mean, to quote Dark Id themselves during one particular part of the LP:

The Dark Id posted:

[Chaos] is probably the most appropriate title for this chapter. If you watch this chapter and do not have an eyebrow raised expression of bewilderment and mutter "what the gently caress?!" at least once, then I suggest you seek counseling immediately as something is clearly broken within you.

I'm suggesting Taro Yoko may have already broken you.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, if you think that Drakengard or Nier were "relatively normal games", either you've forgotten about a good chunk of them, or you've got terminal Yokotarosis.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You mean that high stakes games of Project Diva over the skies of Tokyo aren't considered normal???

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I kinda doubt anything will ever unseat Drakengard's trainwreck of an ending. That game's development was something of a perfect storm nobody saw coming, that last bit being the more important part. Nobody playing Drakengard for the first time could've possibly guessed that was where it was gonna go, and that swerve gave the game a lot of its staying power. Now that Yoko Taro's a known entity, we're always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Dude still takes risks, which is good, and I'm sure he's got a lot more to share with us, but nothing will ever blindside us the way Drakengard did.

Alfred Hitchcock once said in an interview, "If I did a story or, say, a musical about Cinderella, they would be waiting for the body to turn up - if my name were on the picture." Yoko Taro's in the same boat now.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Nier is probably the least weird of Yoko Taro's games and it's still pretty loving weird.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

LordAba posted:

I would argue with the "don't do quests until a certain point" with this quest. A free greatsword, and you get to pick up some other rewards, including the first guaranteed auto-heal that I know of.

Auto-heal is soo good.

That's not a sidequest though, it's just an email telling you about a detour.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Shame on you for not immediately going back to the bunker :colbert:

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I'd liken it to the same kind of WTF-baseline change you get from watching a lot of other things that get weird. You still have the capacity to be surprised by a particular event or whatnot, but there's also gonna be a certain amount of "yeah, that fits" in there too.

After rewatching some LPs of other Platinum games, I realize that their fondness for hiding collectibles and battles in easily overlooked or backtrack-required places pretty much fits right in with the Cavia flavored disdain for completionists, so this easily missed bunker quest and the eventual grind for materials make sense for the people behind it.

Kinda disappointed they allowed upskirts. I'd heard and maybe saw a gif of someone trying in the demo and 2B just shifted so you couldn't actually get the camera to look. Was hoping they'd keep up the perv-trolling. Oh, well.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Yeah, if you think that Drakengard or Nier were "relatively normal games", either you've forgotten about a good chunk of them, or you've got terminal Yokotarosis.

You'd be amazed at what the human mind can become inured to.

Bad Seafood posted:

Alfred Hitchcock once said in an interview, "If I did a story or, say, a musical about Cinderella, they would be waiting for the body to turn up - if my name were on the picture." Yoko Taro's in the same boat now.

This, pretty much. Yoko Taro is a known unknown. By now, we know to expect something, even if we don't know exactly what, and so our favorite Sith Lord has to up the craziness ante, lest his Force lightning grow stale and boring.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 15, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Zagglezig posted:

Kinda disappointed they allowed upskirts. I'd heard and maybe saw a gif of someone trying in the demo and 2B just shifted so you couldn't actually get the camera to look. Was hoping they'd keep up the perv-trolling. Oh, well.
She does that, it just takes a few seconds.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Maybe next time he'll use a levitating Force Choke instead!

(Sadly, it would probably be on a kid too, oh well)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

I can't help but think that Drakengard and Nier were still relatively normal games, and it wasn't until Drakengard 3 that Taro Yoko really got weird. So if you haven't got through that one yet, you should give it a read.

The game with the baby eating cannibal that got devoured by giant space cannibal babies was "normal"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Alavaria posted:

Maybe next time he'll use a levitating Force Choke instead!

(Sadly, it would probably be on a kid too, oh well)

I just realized that if everyone in this game is an android or a machine, faceless moon humans excluded, it will be very difficult to reach the usual child-killing quotas. Even in Drakengard 3 that had to be pushed to the DLCs. So I guess we're left with only the weapon stories this time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Zagglezig posted:

After rewatching some LPs of other Platinum games, I realize that their fondness for hiding collectibles and battles in easily overlooked or backtrack-required places pretty much fits right in with the Cavia flavored disdain for completionists, so this easily missed bunker quest and the eventual grind for materials make sense for the people behind it.

finding all the Pangloss Statues in Vanquish was the only blemish in an otherwise perfect game.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ultrafilter posted:

I don't know about this. Drakengard was under the guise of a normal dynasty warriors clone, while the story in Nier built up. Most of the crazy came out of nowhere, or was subtle on second look.
Drakengard 3 started crazy, and never let up with the crazy, so the final crazy things never hit as hard, minus the DLC stuff. Though I guess if you didn't play any of his other games you would be blindsided.

It's kind of like Suda51... Compare Contact and Killer7 to something like No More Heroes and Lollipop Chainsaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I just realized that if everyone in this game is an android or a machine, faceless moon humans excluded, it will be very difficult to reach the usual child-killing quotas. Even in Drakengard 3 that had to be pushed to the DLCs. So I guess we're left with only the weapon stories this time.

Taro Yoko is a creative man.

I'm sure he'll find a way to include child-killing even in a world without children.

• Locked thread