Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The new website seems to finally have a way to make comments, so time to head over there and talk about how much I like it, before that one guy who posts 200 times a day on the proboards can turn things to negative.

The fashion show sketch. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Chokes McGee posted:

To each their own v:shobon:v

I just like it when it feels like they're naturally reacting to the movie, rather than doing synchronized quipping. There are a lot more "joke" riffs in this season so far, as well, where there's a big set up and then a punchline, which I wish they'd stop doing because it feels rehearsed and usually gets rushed to cram into a dialogue gap. It also feels like there's not as much interaction between them that isn't in direct service of a riff or punchline so it feels a little sterile in some places.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why did the freezer door open in Reptilicus? Magic?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Sleepy science man didn't lock it properly and comedy yokel had been told to stay out, hence: THE DOOR IS AJAR.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

The sleepy scientist who fell asleep didn't close it tight.

I don't get how anyone thinks the Reptilicus episode is better than Cry Wilderness. Cry Wilderness is pure magic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Starcrash is so "It's not Star Wars! It's not inspired by Star Wars, it was my idea!" It's incredible. There's no discernible plot and the whole thing just seems strung together to show off its terrible special effects.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Starcrash is so "It's not Star Wars! It's not inspired by Star Wars, it was my idea!" It's incredible. There's no discernible plot and the whole thing just seems strung together to show off its terrible special effects.

It's Star Wars, if Han Solo was replaced by Barbarella.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Cry Wilderness was bug gently caress insane, but in the best way possible. It was just fantastic and a great one two punch after Reptilicus. Bang!

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Time Travelers was a nice solid B episode of MST3K. The movie was like a middle of the road TOS episode, and the riffing was good not great.

I really like that they're using good prints for the movies this time around, it's cool to see something that looks generally pretty sharp.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'll miss the jokes about the bad picture quality, though ("woah, hit a wormhole!"). What was the one where there were so many jump cuts that the characters' speech was clipped? One of the bots does a riff on someone talking through jump cuts ("is-er-bit-chut") that makes me laugh every time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Beast of Hollow Mountain is a new favorite.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

They tampered in God's domain.

I've been listening to the Monster Rap non-stop, oops. Anyways, I finished up Loves of Hercules last night and what an oddly watchable Hercules movie. I actually really like the set pieces and costume work and it's charmingly cheesy in a way that endears me to it and probably my passing familiarity w/ Greek myth helps.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

precision posted:

Beast of Hollow Mountain is a new favorite.

It's honestly almost worth the coyness for the payoff of the actual Beast's first appearance. I assumed it was going for a chupacabra thing right up until WHAM T-Rex outta loving nowhere. Also Gypsy again killed me with her "Fun fact, this is the only death by T-rex strangling in film history"

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'll miss the jokes about the bad picture quality, though

Fortunately, Reptilicus has the power to degrade film stock.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is it Reptillicus or the Beast Of Hollow Mountain that has the riff about losing a contact lens because the creature shots are out of focus?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Gaz-L posted:

Is it Reptillicus or the Beast Of Hollow Mountain that has the riff about losing a contact lens because the creature shots are out of focus?

It was Beast of Hollow Mountain. Gypsy's line at the end of that movie was my fave riff in this new series.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

One of the fun things in Starcrash is to watch for all of Stella Star's costume changes. It's in the same range as Barbarella.

Gaz-L posted:

It's honestly almost worth the coyness for the payoff of the actual Beast's first appearance. I assumed it was going for a chupacabra thing right up until WHAM T-Rex outta loving nowhere. Also Gypsy again killed me with her "Fun fact, this is the only death by T-rex strangling in film history"

The film is pretty infamous for the plot twist but I didn't remember it until it happened and then I went, "Oh yeah! It's this movie!"

The film selections for season 11 is a real list of "movies that people have been saying for years should have been MST3K episodes

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know

When MST3K finally gets to the Giant Claw

They should really remark that it's not as bad as they were expecting all considered

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

I was tentative based on posts in GBS and elsewhere, but man. I am way into this

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I like riffing fine, and I think Patton is okay.

I could do without the host segments/invention exchanges, the band, Kinga, and everything else though. They make me not like it as much.

I still like it more than I dislike it though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

darth_pizza posted:

I was tentative based on posts in GBS and elsewhere, but man. I am way into this

GBS hates literally everything, but yeah, comments in other places about the faster riffing had me a little worried, but it's just... MST3K. The show is back.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I generally agree with the complaint that the riffs feel a little fast and furious but I'm having a good time with this.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

darth_pizza posted:

Nostalgia Nazis are gonna do their thing for pretty much any childhood property. There's still nerds foaming at the mouth angry about Teen Titans Go for christ sake.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

darth_pizza posted:

I don't think GBS is a good indication of anything ever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The weirdest one I see is "I hate, hate, HATE the new Gypsy! They have completely erased her character!" because she was just a huge clacking car seat saying "Richard Baseheart" in a weird falsetto before. It's such a weird hill to die on. I've also seen a lot of "Crow's eyes don't move anymore!" which... they do?? All the time?? And "Felicia Day is acting too much" feels weird when she's actually almost low-key compared to Trace, who absolutely relished a sort of campy, intentionally overdoing kind of comedy.

I get the tone complaints about it feeling either rushed or rehearsed, though. That's a taste thing, and at the end of the day, if it bothers someone too much, it makes sense that they can't enjoy it. I'm okay with it overall, but it's the only complaint that doesn't feel like nostalgic, reactionary whining.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, I guess as "Homemade from duct tape and plastic toys" feeling as it is, the bubbles linking together different takes is pretty unprofessional, and I guess I have to admit it is a product of using (relatively) celebrity actors who have schedules to work around. I don't feel like some kind of LA sensibility has taken over the show and ruined the Cowtown feeling (another common complaint), but I do hope that Netflix lets them know that they're renewed sooner rather than later, so that the cast and crew can actually commit and maybe not film the whole thing in two weeks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bicyclops posted:

The weirdest one I see is "I hate, hate, HATE the new Gypsy! They have completely erased her character!" because she was just a huge clacking car seat saying "Richard Baseheart" in a weird falsetto before. It's such a weird hill to die on. I've also seen a lot of "Crow's eyes don't move anymore!" which... they do?? All the time?? And "Felicia Day is acting too much" feels weird when she's actually almost low-key compared to Trace, who absolutely relished a sort of campy, intentionally overdoing kind of comedy.
I think some of this is just the fact that now you're twenty years older and of course you know the premise, so you aren't getting your mind completely blown out the way that you did when you first encountered MST3k. Or whatever. I think this is a common element when things get revived or whatever; there are often very real problems but they all kind of get into this alloy with "It's new/different/I'm not a child any more and I HATE IT"

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Compendium posted:

I don't think GBS is a good indication of anything ever.

Even that thread is slowly becoming mostly people who like it now that they've actually seen it instead of reading names like Jonah Ray, Wil Wheaton, and Felicia Day and immediately vomiting steaming hatred from their assholes.

Nothing is more embarrassing than people who still say "cringe worthy" about anything on TV that isn't Always Sunny or Rick & Morty. Or who think references to twitter are trying too hard to be "hip and modern."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh god Time Travellers is great.

"You're not cops, right? You have to tell us if you're cops."

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gaz-L posted:

Also if you have a Jedi, but never mention the Force at all, have C-3P0 played by Matthew McCaughnahey (I can't spell)....and jam some Hasselhoff in for funsies.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
There's an Electric Six riff in the third episode, season owns

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Bicyclops posted:

Also, I guess as "Homemade from duct tape and plastic toys" feeling as it is, the bubbles linking together different takes is pretty unprofessional, and I guess I have to admit it is a product of using (relatively) celebrity actors who have schedules to work around. I don't feel like some kind of LA sensibility has taken over the show and ruined the Cowtown feeling (another common complaint), but I do hope that Netflix lets them know that they're renewed sooner rather than later, so that the cast and crew can actually commit and maybe not film the whole thing in two weeks.

Yeah, the chopped up/rushed production schedule takes away the feeling of in-the-room "we've got five bucks and my uncle's warehouse" camaraderie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Grant Wood's Land that Time For-Gothic is one hell of a clever riff for a shot that lasts less than half a second.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hey, Digger Smolkin is in Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'll miss the jokes about the bad picture quality, though ("woah, hit a wormhole!"). What was the one where there were so many jump cuts that the characters' speech was clipped? One of the bots does a riff on someone talking through jump cuts ("is-er-bit-chut") that makes me laugh every time.

I found the episodes with awful quality video/prints to be the hardest to get through. It would be interesting to see them do something like Manos or The Brain that Wouldn't Die now that pristine HD restorations now exist.

Though, with these HD masters they're using, now they can make fun of details that no one would have seen in the 90s like the bad focus shot in Reptilicus.

I'm loving this so far. If I had poorer judgement, I'd change my user name to Mr. File Cabinet. :v:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Truth be told the biggest game changer and this applies to old MST3K EPs is the FCC rule that required closed captioning for programs airing after a certain date. A lot of crap that was hard to hear due to mushy audio is no longer an issue. Until this happened only the movie had subs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's nothing like suddenly realizing that you've watched a film that they're riffing. That furry in Wizards of the Lost Kingdom was definitely memorable.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Bicyclops posted:

Grant Wood's Land that Time For-Gothic is one hell of a clever riff for a shot that lasts less than half a second.

I loved that riff, then they cut back to the same shot and no one says anything, but I laughed again when I repeated it in my head.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Random Stranger posted:

There's nothing like suddenly realizing that you've watched a film that they're riffing. That furry in Wizards of the Lost Kingdom was definitely memorable.

I was playing the episode in the background with my little brother watching it so when I finally finished cooking and went to look at the screen, the furry abomination made me laugh out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
JUST GIVE US THE KEYS YOU STUPID MAN

Also was happy to see Mary Jo, Kevin, and Bill. It's good to see the old cast hand off the ball like that, even if Mike would rather eat broken glass than be involved in it :v: