Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Streaming music without worrying about cellular caps rocks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

FYI:

128kpbs (free pandora) = 57.6MB/hr
320kpbs (pandora pro) = 115.2MB/hr

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Verizon is offering $200 visa gift card for any smartphone ports. Requires phone trade in and you have to be on the unlimited plan.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Comcast is partnering with Verizon to offer cell service to those with Comcast Internet.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/comcast-to-sell-unlimited-mobile-plans-that-get-throttled-after-20gb/

Looks like for my usage, I can get unlimited talk/text and 1GB data on the Verizon network for $12/mo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kind of insane that Verizon struck a deal like that with Comcast yet offers diddly squat in perks to FiOS customers.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's worse, dealing with Verizon? Or dealing with Comcast?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PerrineClostermann posted:

What's worse, dealing with Verizon? Or dealing with Comcast?

Comcast by a long mile.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, 100% Comcast is worse.

Verizon nickel and dimes. Their billing systems are a nightmare and can really gently caress up an account.

That said, service both from a technical perspective and from a customer service perspective is top notch most of the time.

They may gently caress up your account 3 ways from Sunday trying to add a promotion or forget to add credits back, but they will generally fix that poo poo without too much fuss.

Comcast is just evil. Period. Comcast is your active enemy in all circumstances. On top of all that, their service is generally poo poo as well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Comcast mobile isn't as big of a "splash" as I thought. So whatever. Worth considering if you have Comcast, but I can see the support behind it sucking if you ever have issues.

Interesting thing is Comcast has been poaching wireless employees from both Verizon and ATT in my area for the last few years. I had an old manager reach out to me about working at Comcast recently.

In other news, Verizon laid off all their operations people today, which was a huge bummer. The rumor was 20% of sales staff being fired, which didn't happen, so I guess I'll count blessings that it wasn't worse. Still, wireless companies are freaking out over sales, traffic and new revenue being down, so I can see more cuts coming 6-12 months down the line. Really sucks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's ok, I'm sure VZW will post record profits again next quarter.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

That's ok, I'm sure VZW will post record profits again next quarter.

Exactly.

I'm not vested for another year, so I'm at least sticking it out that long.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

bull3964 posted:

Kind of insane that Verizon struck a deal like that with Comcast yet offers diddly squat in perks to FiOS customers.

Verizon didn't have much of a choice; one of the terms of a deal where the cable companies sold a big chunk of wireless spectrum they'd initially bought to become full-on wireless carriers to Verizon Wireless back in 2012 was the right to run a MVNO on Verizon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Missed this. I swear, Verizon hated Fios. Fios is run completely differently, and in general they seem to genuinely loath having to service Fios.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Has anyone noticed reception being spottier since updating their iPhone 10.3? I have a 7 and after the update I have noticed issues with LTE since updating. I drop down to 3G in places where LTE reception wasn't that great but didn't drop before. I reset network settings but that hasn't helped. I guess a restore is next in line but just wanted to see if anyone noticed similar behavior.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

serebralassazin posted:

Has anyone noticed reception being spottier since updating their iPhone 10.3? I have a 7 and after the update I have noticed issues with LTE since updating. I drop down to 3G in places where LTE reception wasn't that great but didn't drop before. I reset network settings but that hasn't helped. I guess a restore is next in line but just wanted to see if anyone noticed similar behavior.

I have bad reception around my house so in theory I would experience what you are describing but I haven't yet. I'll keep an eye out though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, for those who got impatient and sideloaded the initial 7.1.2 build on their Pixels, the Verizon-specific NHG build is up on Google's OTA download page and I was able to seamlessly sideload it over the original 7.1.2 build.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The real question is did it actually improve bluetooth at all? Because normal 7.1.2 sure didn't.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bull3964 posted:

The real question is did it actually improve bluetooth at all? Because normal 7.1.2 sure didn't.

Well, the only thing I really use Bluetooth for at present is Pandora in my car, and Pandora recently updated their app which made it a ton more reliable for me...so I can't really comment on that. =/

It does have a new/different modem version than "OG" 7.1.2.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
With the 7.1.2 VZW update, it seems like the freezing/bogging with the new Ambiturner update is gone.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I've used the Travelpass feature on short 3-4 day trips to Canada with success, $2/day to use my own number and call US/Canada numbers.

Does anyone know if you can call international calls besides US/Canada while on travelpass? The website is unclear on this one.

I'm traveling to Iceland for 4 days and a sim with 100 mins/1GB is 24 euro, providing I don't need to top off at all vs $40 for 4 travelpass days.

Seeing if it's worth the hassle and if I can call Icelandic and US numbers while that's activated is what it comes down to.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Travel pass works in Iceland according to Verizon's list, but it will cost you $10/day, not $2/day.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
I want to pre-order a Galaxy S8+ from Best Buy and then just pay off all the payments. Would I still get the $100 discount or would Verizon charge full retail?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They're generally given as bill credits each month, right?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

The reason I ask is because I've only seen trade-in promotions offer monthly discounts. Those explicitly say that they will only be applied on a per-monthly basis. I'm wondering if the Best Buy discount negotiates the underlying monthly payment or offers a discount.

They're generally given as bill credits each month, right?

So basically that's the same question I'm asking.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It's Best Buy's deal, not Verizon's, so you'd have to ask Best Buy. There seem to be no details on their web site.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In the past, Best Buy runs their deals by putting the subsidized cost on the account rather than putting the full thing on and issue bill credits like Verizon. I assume it's because a 3rd party CAN'T issue bill credits, but I don't know if that's something that will change.

I do know when I jumped on the $5/month Best Buy deal for the Moto Z Droid on Black Friday, only ~$120 was added to my account and I was able to pay the whole thing off and not lose any of the discount.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It's Best Buy's deal, not Verizon's, so you'd have to ask Best Buy. There seem to be no details on their web site.

I called Best Buy, thinking that you might be right. They said that you were wrong and that it's administered by Verizon.

Then I called Verizon and the representative told me that Best Buy administers it lol. When I explained that I just talked to Best Buy and they told me the opposite, the rep admitted she didn't know and transferred me to a "Customer Care Representative." The CCR told me that there is no problem paying all the installments at once for the reduced price.

So happy ending, this is possible.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Pretty sure a lot of people did that with the Pixel. Also canceled the line immediately so they could use it on different carriers

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

clamiam45 posted:

So happy ending, this is possible.
So is their deal just $100 off retail, and it's 24 payments that are $100/24 lower than MSRP?

The Samsung add ons they mention and "up to $100 off" make it unclear.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So is their deal just $100 off retail, and it's 24 payments that are $100/24 lower than MSRP?

The Samsung add ons they mention and "up to $100 off" make it unclear.

Yeah you have it right. The payment is reduced from 35 (edit: 34 actually) to 29.83. The reason it says up to $100 is because the S8 payment is reduced by less.

clamiam45 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 18, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I want to make sure I've got this straight.

Right now, we're on the XL 16GB plan, with 6GB bonus data, for a total of 22GB shared between all lines. We have four smartphones, so:

22GB Data Pool, shared between all users - 76.50 USD with discount
4x Smartphone Access - 20*4= 80 USD

If we switched to the Unlimited plan, we get:

22GB Priority Data Pool, shared between all users - 110 USD, no discounts allowed (10 dollars less if using auto pay and paperless billing)
4x Smartphone Access = 80 USD

So for 33.50 more, we can go to unlimited.

How do hotspots work? It mentions slower speeds after 10GB, is this a separate meter/count?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

If I'm correct on unlimited the 22gb's is per line, not 22 gig's total shared. It's also my understanding that the hotspot 10 gb is per line.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 18, 2017

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Unlimited is 22gb per line not per plan. Unlimited hotspots get 10gb per line. I don't know if your hotspot data counts towards your non-hotspot data or not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clamiam45 posted:

Unlimited is 22gb per line not per plan. Unlimited hotspots get 10gb per line. I don't know if your hotspot data counts towards your non-hotspot data or not.

Hotspot data counts towards the 22GB.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It has been my experience thus far that being deprioritized is a rare thing.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

It has been my experience thus far that being deprioritized is a rare thing.

Does that mean in practice your speed doesn't decrease very often even after 22gb?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I've only done it once so far. But I deliberately went well over 22gb in the matter of 10 hours or so for a test. I had a few days left in my billing cycle so I wanted to see what would happen. Spent the last few days off my billing cycle around 30gb and saw no changes in speeds no matter where I was or when it was. I still got about 140mbps at my house, still got about 80mbps at my office. Latency stayed the same.

I'm thinking you need to be in a really congested area for it to matter.

As an aside, watching 3 HDX movies on Vudu is a great and quick way to kill 15gb of data.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So each individual line has a 22GB priority limit, towards which hotspot data usage counts, but you get 10GB of high speed hotspot data, regardless of priority, before it goes to slower speeds on hotspot. Am I getting that right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

So each individual line has a 22GB priority limit, towards which hotspot data usage counts, but you get 10GB of high speed hotspot data, regardless of priority, before it goes to slower speeds on hotspot. Am I getting that right?

Basically. I think you could get lower priority if you're over the 22 but not over the 10, but it isn't clear. Honestly, overall I would loosely monitor hotspot usage and not worry about the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I'm in Orlando and for what it's worth I'm pretty sure I've been deprioritized a few times. The phone doesn't lose signal but the internet refuses to work. I wonder if that's my pixel though since it's also done that once when I'm not even over my cap.

• Locked thread