Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Also if a Gaia world has a non-fancy name DONT gently caress WITH THE FLOWERS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fanatic materialists with Intelligent and some flavor of natural science aptitude would be your basic research focused empire. You can pick pacifist if you want to be tech focused isolationists or egalitarian if you want to give everyone utopian living standards and get an extra science boost from the happiness that brings. Pick discovery as your first tradition tree and fill it out for another 10% research, and build a couple extra science ships to scan everything you can get for the massive planetary survey corps boost. Pick the ascension path that gives you +10% research again and you should be rolling with something absurd like +10% (intelligent) +10% (fanatic materialist) +10% (discovery tree finished) +10% (ascension perk) and +15% in whatever natural aptitude you picked. Also you will be getting basically double research rate from PSC as long as you keep surveying constantly so you should outstrip everyone quite quickly. I would recommend pursuing robotic ascension with this build as you get substantial robot maintenance reductions from fanatic materialism.

Personally though I find the easiest way to do well in isolation is probably spiritualism because psionic ascension makes it really easy to keep a coherent, happy empire and you can get some killer bonuses from playing psychic roulette, and it also gives you amazingly good leaders as well.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 15, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

OwlFancier posted:

Fanatic materialists with Intelligent and some flavor of natural science aptitude would be your basic research focused empire. You can pick pacifist if you want to be tech focused isolationists or egalitarian if you want to give everyone utopian living standards and get an extra science boost from the happiness that brings. Pick discovery as your first tradition tree and fill it out for another 10% research, and build a couple extra science ships to scan everything you can get for the massive planetary survey corps boost. Pick the ascension path that gives you +10% research again and you should be rolling with something absurd like +10% (intelligent) +10% (fanatic materialist) +10% (discovery tree finished) +10% (ascension perk) and +15% in whatever natural aptitude you picked. Also you will be getting basically double research rate from PSC as long as you keep surveying constantly so you should outstrip everyone quite quickly. I would recommend pursuing robotic ascension with this build as you get substantial robot maintenance reductions from fanatic materialism.

Personally though I find the easiest way to do well in isolation is probably spiritualism because psionic ascension makes it really easy to keep a coherent, happy empire and you can get some killer bonuses from playing psychic roulette, and it also gives you amazingly good leaders as well.

Thanks these are the tips I was looking for. The materialist / spiritualist choice is tough, they are both playstyles I want to experience.

I am thinking about going slow breeders sedentary communal enduring Intelligent, fanatic materialist / egalitarian, no idea on civics but going for extra science to really pile up the bonuses. Should be a rough start but once I pick up steam I should obliterate everything with tech advantage and robots everywhere.

Then another playthrough later as pacifist spiritualist to make Space hippies with psi powers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hive minds are the best.

My race of ultra adaptive, fleeting, repugnant, sedentary molluscoids had the fortune next to spawn next to the only other hive mind in the galaxy. At first I assumed that meant we would be hivebros, but it turns out that they were a bunch of lazy cold lovers who had no intention of actually doing anything beyond expanding to the various worlds around them that were convenient. Meanwhile I decided to be friends and assure their independence, since nobody else in the galaxy would do so much as open their borders with me. No big deal, but when your entire species is dependent on rapidly expanding everywhere you can (which IS everywhere) it can important. In the midst of a decades-long rapid expansion my neighbors to the south decided to take advantage of my generosity by declaring war on my hivebros and then immediately going after my planets. Unfortunately I hadn't invested as much into my fleet as I should and they managed to occupy two worlds before my galaxy-spanning industry turned to war. Scanners showed a fleet consisting heavily of corvettes and weapons targeted for shields, so I rigged my fleet with flak cannons and armor. In spite of being half the size of the enemy I managed to do enough damage to "win" the battle and my enemies offered a white peace which I gladly accepted.

I immediately revoked my independence assurance for the hivebros.

Clearly my "bros" weren't worth a drat, so a decade of aggressive industrialization later I knocked down their front door and invaded half their planets. Ten years later I took over the rest, and soon there was only one. I quickly realized that the problem with my bros was that they couldn't handle occupying every possible planet, but thanks to the wonders of genetic engineering they're now just as adaptable as my guys. A few more years of development and a dead Stellarite Devourer later and my now guys are ready to remind our neighbors to the south why you don't gently caress with the hive mind. We're less than three years into the war and I've already killed their fleet, occupied four planets, and now I just need to murder and occupy my way into victory.

Meanwhile there's this primitive system called "Sol" filled with hairless apes who think that swinging around sharpened metal sticks is the pinnacle of warfare. I'm not sure what to do with them.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I did the survey start in one game, and it is so stupid strong I've basically avoided it in all my games since. I'm not sure what the default anomaly discovery rate is, but +15% is a huge boost and makes you have a boatload more poo poo in your systems.

If you're willing to go robots, starting with mechanist is a good call. Robots let your normal pops grow faster, and you start with the +5% mineral tech. You can take stuff like weak and non-adaptive without too much drawback as well since you'll be sticking your robots into the mines.

If you want a big unity option then pacifist+xenophobe unlocks a really strong combo of agrarian ideal and inwards perfection, which would trade off 10% robot upkeep and 5% science for +50% unity and +1 unity per farm, along with the extra core systems and border range. You can do spiritualist instead of materialist if you want with this combo.

Spiritualist works pretty well with slave setups too, as the -unrest and +gov ethics is pretty handy.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

peak debt posted:

Also if a Gaia world has a non-fancy name DONT gently caress WITH THE FLOWERS.

I am pretty sure non-Gaia worlds can have hayfever events.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

PoptartsNinja posted:

Check Gaia Worlds for names. If they sound fancy, they're some FE's baby. If they're [System Name] [number] they're fine.

Edit: I have now become intensely curious whether FEs get pissed if you kill one of their Gaia worlds with a Dyson Sphere.

Can't Dyson Sphere systems that have habitable worlds, at least not in vanilla, so FEs probably don't have anything to deal with that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Meanwhile there's this primitive system called "Sol" filled with hairless apes who think that swinging around sharpened metal sticks is the pinnacle of warfare. I'm not sure what to do with them.

Have you considered invading, conquering, and eating them?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hive minds are the best.

My race of ultra adaptive, fleeting, repugnant, sedentary molluscoids had the fortune next to spawn next to the only other hive mind in the galaxy. At first I assumed that meant we would be hivebros, but it turns out that they were a bunch of lazy cold lovers who had no intention of actually doing anything beyond expanding to the various worlds around them that were convenient. Meanwhile I decided to be friends and assure their independence, since nobody else in the galaxy would do so much as open their borders with me. No big deal, but when your entire species is dependent on rapidly expanding everywhere you can (which IS everywhere) it can important. In the midst of a decades-long rapid expansion my neighbors to the south decided to take advantage of my generosity by declaring war on my hivebros and then immediately going after my planets. Unfortunately I hadn't invested as much into my fleet as I should and they managed to occupy two worlds before my galaxy-spanning industry turned to war. Scanners showed a fleet consisting heavily of corvettes and weapons targeted for shields, so I rigged my fleet with flak cannons and armor. In spite of being half the size of the enemy I managed to do enough damage to "win" the battle and my enemies offered a white peace which I gladly accepted.

I immediately revoked my independence assurance for the hivebros.

Clearly my "bros" weren't worth a drat, so a decade of aggressive industrialization later I knocked down their front door and invaded half their planets. Ten years later I took over the rest, and soon there was only one. I quickly realized that the problem with my bros was that they couldn't handle occupying every possible planet, but thanks to the wonders of genetic engineering they're now just as adaptable as my guys. A few more years of development and a dead Stellarite Devourer later and my now guys are ready to remind our neighbors to the south why you don't gently caress with the hive mind. We're less than three years into the war and I've already killed their fleet, occupied four planets, and now I just need to murder and occupy my way into victory.

Hive Minds honestly feel a little too good right now. I've played 4 games (3 SP, 1 MP) as this one and have had no problems gunning down everything in my way with little difficulty in expanding, researching, or just outpowering via economy.

Compared to games with non-hive empires, especially updated ones I made back at launch, they feel extremely simple to powergame with, and everything comes down to a rush for 40% Habitability.
I mean come on, I'm supposed to be dead and gay with these guys, not the greatest space thing to ever exist constantly.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So I had Sol spawn right next to me in my game with guilli's modifiers, and uh the robot one is pretty ridiculous looking. I like it a lot.

Too bad I spawned immediately next to a fanatic militarist who had the AI trigger so that he built nothing but ships the entire game and while I fended him off in the first war (like 11 years in) he eventually showed up with a fleet 4x the size of mine and I just quit since I only had a handful of planets at that point.

That poo poo is rough.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I am sort of torn on the megastructures. I like them, but the one at a time restriction is a serious annoyance in that the techs and perks tend to happen so late in the game that the mineral cost to build and upgrade a megastructure is almost pocket change. And that doesn't even take into account the token 5-energy per month cost of having an unfinished megastructure :lol:

Perhaps having a tech or two to loosen the restriction would be nice, or, let players go nuts building megastructures, but at the cost of total chaos if you bankrupt your empire in doing so.

E: If you're a slaving empire, there should be an option to expend your slaves on the megastructure instead of purging them outright. :commissar:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 15, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Rayjenkins posted:

hah this is great info to have, just started a new game and the dreadnought is right next door to me. How many torp corvettes would it take?

You'll want to have at least level 2 torps, and the combat computers/thrusters to jack your evasion through the roof. Then, I'd say about... 20-30 corvettes and a smattering of other ships to make it spread its fire.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I finally ran the enigmatic fortress event. Didn't look up what could happen, so I was going in blind, but I guess I did everything right? I got the enigmatic power core/shields/decoder/encoder/disruptor techs from it, and holy hell was it worth it.

Do you get different things based on your choices? is it random and I just lucked out the first time?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Rorac posted:

I finally ran the enigmatic fortress event. Didn't look up what could happen, so I was going in blind, but I guess I did everything right? I got the enigmatic power core/shields/decoder/encoder/disruptor techs from it, and holy hell was it worth it.

Do you get different things based on your choices? is it random and I just lucked out the first time?

you get death if you choose wrong.

nice job doing everything right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TorakFade posted:

Thanks these are the tips I was looking for. The materialist / spiritualist choice is tough, they are both playstyles I want to experience.

I am thinking about going slow breeders sedentary communal enduring Intelligent, fanatic materialist / egalitarian, no idea on civics but going for extra science to really pile up the bonuses. Should be a rough start but once I pick up steam I should obliterate everything with tech advantage and robots everywhere.

Then another playthrough later as pacifist spiritualist to make Space hippies with psi powers.

Slow breeders might be a bit of an issue but it's actually probably a bonus if paired with robots, because it gives you more time to build robots to do all your mineral harvesting.

The mechanist civic might be worth a pick if so, as while you can't remove it, it's a nice boost early on to minerals and it does give you an extra maintenece cost reduction.

If you're going egalitarian consider spending your spare civic and trait points on lowered consumer goods costs, because then you can set everyone to utopian abundance and still be rolling in minerals, eventually you can get it to the point where it's cheaper to run that than it is for a normal person to run decent. The main benefit to egalitarianism is honestly that you can give everyone +20% flat happiness, but the downside is normally that it will cost you a serious mineral overhead, taking multiple 20% cuts to that is almost like taking +10% mineral harvest rate buffs because it will shave a huge amount off your minerals bill.

I will spoil it a bit and say if you're going for robotic ascension, don't bother with life prolonging perks, you will get plenty of that from other sources.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 15, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I've taken The Flesh is Weak for my second perk, now the Sentient AI red card has popped up and I have to decide what I'm gonna do about AI and uploading (not necessarily both).

I've heard multiple opinions that Synthetic Evolution is really disappointing, and it doesn't affect the potential AI uprising either way, thoughts? I'm tempted to switch from Materialist to Xenophobe, outlaw AI, and play as a kind of Keepers-of-Knowledge-in-training.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Can I just say how hilarious it is to have a stacked -70% growth rate modifier?

Because it is incredibly hilarious.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: I have now become intensely curious whether FEs get pissed if you kill one of their Gaia worlds with a Dyson Sphere.

Nope! :pseudo:

Turns out, Holy Worlds don't freeze.

Or maybe Gaia worlds in general don't freeze.

Did some more research. So normally you can't build a Dyson Sphere in a system with an inhabitable planet, but it turns out?

Gaia worlds don't count as inhabitable planets! :haw:

That pulsar back there was an arid world I needed to get rid of in order to build the Dyson Sphere.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I wonder if gaia worlds you terraform yourself count as inhabitable planets for that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

A Tartan Tory posted:

I wonder if gaia worlds you terraform yourself count as inhabitable planets for that.

Let's find out!

... Terraforming to Gaia takes quite a while.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 15, 2017

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Talkie Toaster posted:

Overharvesting

Does -migration attraction make it more likely that pops will emigrate in addition to making it less likely that they will immigrate?

Follow-up, is there a way you could make planets get a stacking -migration attraction effect as the blockers spawn?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Holy poo poo this planet. Modifiers are High Gravity (oh well) and Strong Magnetic Field (because this wasn't going to poo poo out enough energy already).

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I haven't played in a while. Those purple stones on the 2-energy blocks are for the super power plant that requires a rare material, right?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yep!

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
What's a simple mod to increase the number of planets under your direct control?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Gammymajams posted:

What's a simple mod to increase the number of planets under your direct control?

If you just want all of them, the auto build and upgrade buildings mod has an edict that increases core planet cap by 900, you don't have to actually use the other features of the mod. (On mobile so no link).

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Lprsti99 posted:

If you just want all of them, the auto build and upgrade buildings mod has an edict that increases core planet cap by 900, you don't have to actually use the other features of the mod. (On mobile so no link).

Sounds good, thanks.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Lprsti99 posted:

After downloading it, this mod is just what I wanted. Thanks again.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
You also can't build frontier clinics on gaia worlds. Maybe that's a holdover from when they boosted habitability, though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Another game down. This time a domination victory in less than 100 years. It is getting pretty easy to come in and win before endgames crises now.

The combination of robots and mining guilds really helps you get out of that mineral hole at the start of the game. The ability to build robots from the start is pretty powerful, increasing the rate at which you can grow your colonies. You do need to be careful with energy though. Run down discovery as the first tree, due to PSC's OPness. I even hold my science ships back a little until I get 'to boldly go' for more anomalies. Mastery of Nature is the easy perk pick, due to saving you a fortune at the start of the game helps the snowball.

Smack your neighbors around once you decide expanding into their face is the path of least resistance. Pick up flesh is weak for your second perk. The habitability bonus stacks with extremely adaptive, meaning that you get a total of +40. Your cyborg people will be good to settle pretty much anywhere. Build ships and crush your enemies. Robot armies help make up for the weak nature of the race. If you move at a good pace, you'll probably finish before your fourth ascension perk is even available.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

A Tartan Tory posted:

Can I just say how hilarious it is to have a stacked -70% growth rate modifier?

Because it is incredibly hilarious.
How the heck did you get down to -70%?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like cloning tech should let me build organic pops in the same way i can build robots

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Staltran posted:

Where did you get it from, debris?

Belatedly, I think it was a maniacal research lead that let me get psi jump drives as a materialist? I imagine the rate was super low, it turned up after I had basically researched everything else.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Soup du Journey posted:

I feel like cloning tech should let me build organic pops in the same way i can build robots

Absolutely this.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Strudel Man posted:

How the heck did you get down to -70%?

Probably something like

code:
Fertile  (trait)		-30%	= -30%
Genome Mapping (tech) 		-10%	= -40%
A New Life (tradition)		-10%	= -50%
A New Generation (agenda)	-10% 	= -60%
Festival of Worlds (enclave)	-10%	= -70%
-80% is also possible with the Spiritualist-only ascension perk that gives you the consecrate world edict with 100-year duration.
e: Before 1.5 you could get something similar too, even without Fertile and A New Life, because A New Generation used to be -25% and fanatic spiritualists got -15% I think?

Patrat posted:

Belatedly, I think it was a maniacal research lead that let me get psi jump drives as a materialist? I imagine the rate was super low, it turned up after I had basically researched everything else.
That... shouldn't be possible, it has a 0x weight multiplier if you have Utopia.

Agreed on the cloning thing.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 15, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GotLag posted:

Ironman is a no-reloads, one save only, no console mode? I've never used it.

Edit: and it does something funky with the save so you can't turn it off?

Yes, but you can turn ironman off easily with save editing.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Real dumb question. How do I genemod my race to a new biome? Every time I try to give a couple of my pops the tundra preference it just fails.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

Real dumb question. How do I genemod my race to a new biome? Every time I try to give a couple of my pops the tundra preference it just fails.

this is a silly question, but are you going to your situation menu and actually starting the project?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Fails how?

Do you have a few people on the planet already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Roobanguy posted:

this is a silly question, but are you going to your situation menu and actually starting the project?

It's probably this. Once you confirm the gene mod, you have to go into the situation log and start working the project, the timer you initially get is just the window of opportunity to do it.

• Locked thread