Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nichol posted:

high slice

daslog posted:

nice looking slice.

Um excuse me, please call it by its proper name

Power Fade :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I have 54 holes booked for Friday and Saturday. Surprise day off for Friday so I have a morning and afternoon time then a smoking hot deal from golf now on a course I usually don't play at because they are ridiculously priced. Had 3 hot deal coupons so what would normally be a $70 round is only costing me $10! Hoping my back holds up, Sunday might be a couch day lol

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Nichol posted:

I kept looking down the range to see if the last stall on the right would open. For liability reasons. On plus side, wedges were very good. I kept fighting the low irons though. It was high slice or duck hook only. Not in any shape to play golf yet. I played almost none last year so ughhhh

I hit again today, and swung the club on more of a baseball path. It least it felt like that. The ball went straight.

This years swing thoughts;

1) R-E-L-A-X
2) Finish the back swing
3) Swing easy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah shortening backswings and reminding myself to slow down honestly cure 90% of my contact issues. The problem is staying there :v:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

Yeah shortening backswings and reminding myself to slow down honestly cure 90% of my contact issues. The problem is staying there :v:

I should write "Slow Down Dumbass" on the underside of the brim of my hat. The majority of my bad shots are from getting quick and out of sequence.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You and me both, brother. I get all excited after a good shot, then get amped up and swing way too drat fast.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
I've made a point to try and slow my swings down to maintain a constant tempo which has helped my game out heaps. Still doesn't help when I've been giving up strokes with how wet it's been in Eastern Australia for the past few months, I just can't get my head around hitting wedges off super soaked lies and have given up so many shots to fatted wedges because the ground has no firmness at all just grass with mud underneath.

Speaking of people out on the course after/during the masters we had almost double our normal sized field this past Saturday for comp, happens around every major but the masters seems to get heaps more people out into the course. Also means prizes for winning are much better, though my wedge game has prevented me benefiting from this. If our course could get regular numbers like this we'd be able to afford more greenkeeping staff, shame it's only a 3-4 week increase before it goes back to normal.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm having the opposite issue with my wedges in New Jersey. The rough is so uneven and lumpy/scrubby since it hasn't grown in yet that you either have a bare lie with a mound behind the ball or a ball that's pretty much resting on a tuft of grass like it's a tee. My short game isn't great as is but I've been losing a lot of shots around the green recently.

Don't get me started on green speed and pin locations that haven't been moved in a week so the couple inches around the cup are actually raised and will push a putt that falls in dead on a quick green off to the left or right.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I'm somewhere between beginner & intermediate and I'm hitting almost everything low and close to the toe. Probably the most common problem at my skill level, but today at the driving range I simply set the ball closer to the heel at address. Still hitting a bit low, but dead center. Doesn't feel right (not topping the ball, just striking below the sweet spot), and I'm not getting distance. Why is this?

Edit: I have a neutral swing path and a strong grip, which I adopted to help eliminate a slice.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 13, 2017

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I made a diagram for this thread

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo that's perfect

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yeah that's for actual improvement. Most people (myself included) just buy more equipment and don't really improve. Although I've kind of bruteforced my way past that by spending so much time on the course. I probably won't drop my handicap much lower without trying something new at this point though.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Hitting the range is good to work on your striking and working out your tempo but to improve nothing beats getting out onto the course and playing. The way you have to work out course management, uneven lies and unusual shot types that you can't really practice on the range. Not to mention bunker play and short game that you can only get during an actual round.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

EnsGDT posted:

I made a diagram for this thread

If that circle is a clock I'm at about 2:57 but my pro doesn't get back to town for another month.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
You need to add in "Buy the latest electronic gimmick the record/measure your golf swing"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

You need to add in "Buy the latest electronic gimmick the record/measure your golf swing"

you can sub that in down at the 6:00 point :v:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DJExile posted:

you can sub that in down at the 6:00 point :v:

I just got one of these. does it count?

https://www.selfiegolfusa.com/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

I just got one of these. does it count?

https://www.selfiegolfusa.com/

god my eyes rolled so hard at that name

Honestly though for as many dumb gimmicks and such are out there, doing things like this to help get video of yourself is seriously a good idea. It's hard to tell what you're doing wrong when you can't see yourself do it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

god my eyes rolled so hard at that name

Honestly though for as many dumb gimmicks and such are out there, doing things like this to help get video of yourself is seriously a good idea. It's hard to tell what you're doing wrong when you can't see yourself do it.
Yeah, cellphone cradles are a great idea but lol at $40 for 5 cents of plastic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, cellphone cradles are a great idea but lol at $40 for 5 cents of plastic.

oh god i glanced right past the pricing :stare:

yeah gently caress that

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The senior tour is in Atlanta this week and one of my best friends, his business partner lives on TPC Sugarloaf's par 3 16th hole, invited me out for a get together tomorrow.

Gonna set my Masters folding chair on the deck, get trashed on mint juleps, and yell out "Get in the hole" at every group. :krad:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DJExile posted:

oh god i glanced right past the pricing :stare:

yeah gently caress that

Golf industry markups ftw. Although the Costco Kirkland ball had another limited release a week ago and all 40 stores sold out their 600 double-dozen boxes within a day (many within a few hours according to golfwrx posts) so maybe other companies will wake the gently caress up and start making golf stuff and drop some prices.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The senior tour is in Atlanta this week and one of my best friends, his business partner lives on TPC Sugarloaf's par 3 16th hole, invited me out for a get together tomorrow.

Gonna set my Masters folding chair on the deck, get trashed on mint juleps, and yell out "Get in the hole" at every group. :krad:

Live the fuckin' dream, brother :cheers:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Does this thread deal with playing golf or just watching it? Because I need a new driver

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

Does this thread deal with playing golf or just watching it? Because I need a new driver

Its an all things golf thread. Do you know what youre looking for in a driver? Brand? New? Used? Are you freakishly tall or a midget like me? If so you might need to get it fitted after you find one. Grips are important too!

Course opened today and its supposed to be 23 tomorrow but thunderstorms, then 20 and rain on Sunday. Then the temperature drops back down to single digits come Monday and is expected to be below seasonal for the next 2 weeks. Doesnt look like golf season will be starting here for a while yet. :smith:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Think I've found my new favourite ball, Bridgestone Tour B330. Heaps less spin, durable and good feel for short game.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Buy the last gen Taylormade M2.

I say this as a Titleist whore.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Went to the Fiddlers Green in Eugene Friday for their yearly golf expo, after 3 hours, two blisters and hitting irons from pretty much every vendor there I walked out with a new set of Ping G's. Somehow I've now become a yellow dot, whereas my previous sets of Ping's were always red. (Although that was 8-12 years ago)

I also really liked the Taylormade M2's and Mizuno JPX 900 Hot's. The Cobra F7 One Length were interesting, but I after hitting them for about 30 minutes I still couldn't tell if I loved or hated them. Really wanted to like the new Callaway Steelheads, loved the look but for some reason I just can't hit Callaway irons well.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nearly six hour round yesterday, hoo boy I drank a lot of beer.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

2 rounds for me yesterday and 2 hours till tee off for today's round!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

Its an all things golf thread. Do you know what youre looking for in a driver? Brand? New? Used? Are you freakishly tall or a midget like me? If so you might need to get it fitted after you find one. Grips are important too!

Oh good, I hunted around a bit yesterday for such a thread as this and am glad its an all-in-one.

I golfed competitively through high school but have largely been away from the sport for the past number of years and, like skiing, I am looking to take it back up. So, I'm knowledgeable about the sport but not current tech.

My kit reflects this, dating back to maybe the 80s? Irons are forged Ping wannabes by Par Ace, woods are Wilson metals, and my last driver that I loved was a Taylormade--one of the first generation with graphite shafts. This shaft failed on me a couple of years ago at the driving range--the ball went about 20 yards, but the club head went 50+. Sadly the driving range failed to notify the person who drove the ball collecting cart to save that head for me to get reshafted. For the short term I got a cheapo to cover me for my immediate needs, but one round with it proved 1) I need a much stiffer shaft than it has, and 2) I managed to flake off all of the metal plating on its face in one round. Turns out the real cheapos are plastic dipped in metal (and whippy like a noodle).

I'm average height (5'10"), need a stiff flex, and probably a lower loft angle. I'm going to take a couple of lessons to get my swing back under control, but currently have a slice when I swing with power, so a compensatory thing on the club probably isn't needed as its a swing mechanics issue. Not sure what else to say other than I'd prefer not to spend $500 on a single club?

e. also are all drivers these huge-headed monstrosities? So ugly

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

just wait til you hit one bby

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I'll ignore the fugly factor if I can consistently land over 300 yards with one for sure

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

quote:

Taylor made makes a couple of small head drivers, and they're great. Hit a golf store and swing a couple, I love mine.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol it's all old white people at this get together and none of them know about golf kill me now.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Course is dead, playing 2 balls, what's another 36 today!

Edit: and of course I'm hitting loving shots no one will believe me about lol

mattfl fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 15, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
107 for the first round since October. Sliced everything.

I can say that golf isn't much fun when you can't keep the ball in play.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

mattfl posted:

Course is dead, playing 2 balls, what's another 36 today!

Edit: and of course I'm hitting loving shots no one will believe me about lol

Super jealous. First nice weekend of the year here and I'm stuck doing family stuff.
Oh well, at least the golf season is finally here.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Well I'm nothing if not consistent lol

Remember how I said shots that no one would believe. That eagle on 5 was a chip in from 25 yards away, behind a hill, into a blind green. I didn't believe it myself until I saw it in the cup lol.

And I'm done, 72 in 2 days is quite enough for this weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm in a bad funk right now just in time to go to Poppy Hills next week. :smith:

Handicap has moved up from 11 to 13 over the last month and I've crashed and burned on the back 9 in our last two tourneys.....Everything is long, short, left, right .....remember when I said I played the same yellow chrome soft for 3 rounds? I've burned through 8 of them in the following 3 rounds.

I am putting great though right now once I get on the drat greens :v: