Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the last widow of a confederate soldier lived to see most of obama's 2008 campaign

the last widow of ed balls will see the earth-colony wars of 2150

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013

alt right appropriating anarchist / far left street fighting style smh

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Rushi posted:

cspam is being really impressive right now i'm kinda getting a crush

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe

HAHA THEY SHOWED HIM ABOUT THOSE TAX RETURNS *navy seals kill american girls during proxy war with russia*

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

guys it's 3:47 in the afternoon and i still haven't been consumbed by nuclear fire, i'm bored, home alone and gettin drizzunk, what should i do to speed the apocalypse?

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
We are going to have indefinite lifespans in a matter of 2-3 decades from now.

My biggest fear is that the older generations never die and it turns into constant civil wars, with politicians in their 1000th year of being in power. We don't need or want Donald Trump or his kids in power forever.

https://singularityhub.com/2017/04/05/old-mice-made-young-again-with-new-anti-aging-drug/

quote:

Now, a collaborative effort between the Erasmus University in the Netherlands and the Buck Institute for Research on Aging in California may have a solution. Published in the prestigious journal Cell, the team developed a chemical torpedo that, after injecting into mice, zooms to senescent cells and puts them out of their misery, while leaving healthy cells alone.

“This is the first time that somebody has shown that you can get rid of senescent cells without having any obvious side effects,”
says Dr. Francis Rodeir at the University of Montreal in Canada, who was not involved in the study.

When treated with the drug, aged mice regrew their scraggly fur into luscious coats and saw improved liver and kidney functions. They also seemed more energized, opting to spend their time on a running wheel instead of sleeping in a corner.

Rather than a synthetic chemical, the drug is a small peptide made up of amino acids, the building blocks of protein. Similar peptide drugs are already revolutionizing stroke therapy, and the team plans to begin human safety trials with their anti-aging drug soon.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

more like robocuck

https://twitter.com/jillexmachina/status/853329963788795904

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Cyberpunk is really just 80s futurism if you think about it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I asked earlier in some thread if NK could actually hit Japan, and I got conflicting answers. Have you guys figured it out yet? because I'm really concerned that if some poo poo went down with North Korea, it could delay the fourth season of Symphogear

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

also skipping ~2000 poasts wasssssssssssssuppppppp

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The shadowrun games are excellent
moderately hot take: they're good, but the bodies disappearing undermines you being an awful cyberpunk mercenary, especially when in at least a few missions some of even all of the combat is possible to avoid.

When you exited a cleared dungeon in BG(2) there was a pretty thematic massive trail of corpses you left in your wake like "dang I killed a lot of guys, this lord of murder stuff is a little out of hand at times".

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Hamelekim posted:

My biggest fear is that the older generations never die and it turns into constant civil wars, with politicians in their 1000th year of being in power. We don't need or want Donald Trump or his kids in power forever.

https://singularityhub.com/2017/04/05/old-mice-made-young-again-with-new-anti-aging-drug/

okay, first: lol

second: the Donald Dynsty shall usher in a new age of unity and strife the likes of which we shall never escape

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

where the gently caress is paranoid randroid and his avatar?

Day Job is hella cyberpunk, and the rest of Android: Netrunner really

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Ragtime All The Time posted:

guys it's 3:47 in the afternoon and i still haven't been consumbed by nuclear fire, i'm bored, home alone and gettin drizzunk, what should i do to speed the apocalypse?

drink until you can't post and then try to post anyways

that's what i do

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
i should probably exercise so i live to see superdrugs

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

I asked earlier in some thread if NK could actually hit Japan
Prob.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

DrPossum posted:

drink until you can't post and then try to post anyways

that's what i do

sheeeeeeee-ittttttttttttt

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I've seen half these movies but would Running Man or Escape From NY really be considered cyberpunk? They're way more generic 80's dystopia

Still great though

plz if you take no other realtalk point from me ever plz plz take this, its never ever ever even once productive or useful to try to carefully delineate genre boundaries and sort liminal works to one side or another

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/853333975129096192

(it was sensenbrenner)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

pls dont destroy all the anime

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Guy Goodbody posted:

I asked earlier in some thread if NK could actually hit Japan, and I got conflicting answers. Have you guys figured it out yet? because I'm really concerned that if some poo poo went down with North Korea, it could delay the fourth season of Symphogear

100% yes they can

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hamelekim posted:

that peptide could be a huuuge deal yeah

re-enabling apoptosis is a holy grail of cancer research too

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Cyberpunk is really just 80s futurism if you think about it

sure but then you have settings like Almost Human, Psycho-Pass, Overwatch, and Android: Netrunner that took cyberpunk and pushed it further into "white plastic cyberpunk" where everything is sleek and shiny but still completely dominated by technology and corporate interests. Overwatch is significantly less punk than the other two but you can see a lot of the themes and tropes pop up

The genre owes a shitload to 80s futurism, and some of its very best examples is still soaked in grimy 80s NYC metropolian settings, but much of the genre has evolved past that

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

100% yes they can

yeah hiroshima's only ~750 mi from pryonyang, really not far at all even for babby icbm's

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jazerus posted:

re-enabling apoptosis is a holy grail of cancer research too

Imagine the Boomer generation sticking around for another 100 years to vote for even more right wing politicians and benefit packages for themselves.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

etalian posted:

Imagine the Boomer generation sticking around for another 100 years to vote for even more right wing politicians and benefit packages for themselves.

gently caress that and fcuk boomers

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Jazerus posted:

Selectively re-enabling apoptosis is a holy grail of cancer research too

ftfy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

yeah hiroshima's only ~750 mi from pryonyang, really not far at all even for babby icbm's

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

seriously lusting for boomer death

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

lmao Trump is destroying EnergyStar

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-energy-star-20170412-story.html

this is the best part:

efficiency is inferior!!

its hosed up that Energy is has become politicized. like, reactionaries have gotten so defensive about climate change that they are now opposed to energy efficiency for no reason other than the fact that it reminds them of other things they dislike

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
Libertarian Futurist Society

http://www.lfs.org/

Do you love liberty and Science Fiction?
Do you dream of a free future?
Are you a fan of writers like Ayn Rand, Robert Heinlein, Poul Anderson,
Vernor Vinge, James Hogan, Neal Stephenson, and Ken MacLeod?

If so, then join the Libertarian Futurist Society!

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

noice noice noice kim jong un do the needful

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SKULL.GIF posted:

sure but then you have settings like Almost Human, Psycho-Pass, Overwatch, and Android: Netrunner that took cyberpunk and pushed it further into "white plastic cyberpunk" where everything is sleek and shiny but still completely dominated by technology and corporate interests. Overwatch is significantly less punk than the other two but you can see a lot of the themes and tropes pop up

The genre owes a shitload to 80s futurism, and some of its very best examples is still soaked in grimy 80s NYC metropolian settings, but much of the genre has evolved past that

we can call it iCyber or something. All the dystopia you can ask for wrapped in steak apple branding

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
The Internet is the primary transmission vector of anime, maybe it should be shut down

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

etalian posted:

it's the lazy entitled millennials who will be the god-emperors of men obviously

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

gently caress that and fcuk boomers

The next true civil war is going to be the remnants of the boomers in cybernetic shells vs the millennials.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The Internet is the primary transmission vector of anime, maybe it should be shut down

it's shameful seeing Steam being overrun with so much VN and anime filth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/bobbylee_dc/status/853319575991013376
:yeah:

• Locked thread