Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

mandatory lesbian posted:

mcmagic did nothing wrong

well done with the subtle hitler comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

well done with the subtle hitler comparison

The meme has evolved beyond Hitler, End of Life Guy

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

It's a core mechanic for green and black?

To kill their own dudes?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Injuryprone posted:

To kill their own dudes?

That's not what the cards do.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Injuryprone posted:

To kill their own dudes?

"Greatness, at any cost"

Also, plenty of stuff removes them or triggers when one is placed that it won't be a total drawback.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Count Bleck posted:

Guys I've been playing Persona 5 for the past 3 days what's the take on this set overall?

Also is Glorious End the best red mythic in years?

Magic the Gathering continues to be a worse game than Persona 5

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Injuryprone posted:

To kill their own dudes?

That's not what these cards but actually yes black frequently kills its own dudes

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Even without the exile clause, it wouldn't be the same game object that was discarded, since it went to the stack.

Something is off here.

Either it goes to the graveyard by way of exile, or by way of exile then the stack. So in both cases it's indirect and by your logic couldn't be found. Except the release notes say it doesn't work that way...

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Something is off here.

Either it goes to the graveyard by way of exile, or by way of exile then the stack. So in both cases it's indirect and by your logic couldn't be found. Except the release notes say it doesn't work that way...

Huh, you're right, the release notes say if you don't cast the exiled card, Shadow of the Grave can retrieve it even though it should have become a new game object when it moved from exile to the graveyard. I have no explanation for why that's the case.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Maybe because there isn't a round of priority to interrupt the madness process the game is able to keep track of the object through the zone change ?

Edit: nah, this would mean a flickered creature would be the same one that left the battlefield.

Yah that just doesn't make sense

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 15, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Huh, you're right, the release notes say if you don't cast the exiled card, Shadow of the Grave can retrieve it even though it should have become a new game object when it moved from exile to the graveyard. I have no explanation for why that's the case.

Since madness is probably the only instance in which a card can leave the game momentarily before returning, they can change the way the rules refer to it in order to work with Shadow of the Grave the way they wanted it to.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It doesn't work under the rules absent an obscure rule we aren't considering.

The rules control, so the release note is wrong even though you'd have to be at like a PT appealing to a Level 5 head judge before you could expect that kind of Magical Constitutional Law to ever work in your favor.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 15, 2017

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Are you guys sure that none of the exceptions for rule 400.7 apply here? http://magiccards.info/rule/400-general.html

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I feel like there has to be something that overrides that because by that logic every card you discard, thus moving it from the Hand Zone to the Graveyard Zone, would become a new object upon changing zones right? Which means that Shadow of the Grave would actually do nothing?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Shadow of The Grave say 'cards', so I think that means it tracks the cardboard itself and not the game objects?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Further complicating hypothetical: suppose I discard Basking Rootwalla, cast it with Madness, sacrifice it to Viscera Seer, and then cast Shadow of the Grave. Do I get my Rootwalla back?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

Further complicating hypothetical: suppose I discard Basking Rootwalla, cast it with Madness, sacrifice it to Viscera Seer, and then cast Shadow of the Grave. Do I get my Rootwalla back?

No, because it entered the graveyard from the field and was not discarded.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bonus posted:

Are you guys sure that none of the exceptions for rule 400.7 apply here? http://magiccards.info/rule/400-general.html

None of them seem to apply to Shadow of the Grave.

I feel like there has to be something that overrides that because by that logic every card you discard, thus moving it from the Hand Zone to the Graveyard Zone, would become a new object upon changing zones right? Which means that Shadow of the Grave would actually do nothing?

The new game object knows that "being discarded" is how it entered the graveyard, just like Rebound spells know whether or not they were cast from your hand. Madness is different because only the object in exile should remember being discarded; moving from exile to graveyard should remove that memory, and the object in the graveyard should just remember that it was put there from the exile zone.

Release notes say that if you do cast the spell with Madness, you can't get it back.

mossyfisk posted:

Shadow of The Grave say 'cards', so I think that means it tracks the cardboard itself and not the game objects?

Cards are what the game objects represented by physical cards are called except on the battlefield (where they're permanents) and on the stack (where they're spells). The release notes specifically say that if you do cast the spell with Madness and it goes to the graveyard afterward (whether because it's an instant/sorcery or because you sacrificed the permanent it became), Shadow of the Grave won't be able to get it back. If it was tracking physical cards instead of game objects, Shadow in the Grave could retrieve those too.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mossyfisk posted:

No, and the reason Madness works is the same reason why this is the case:
"Discarded this turn" is a trait that cards in your yard can have. They become a new object when they change zones; when you discard a card, it moves to your graveyard and becomes a "discarded card." People are confusing two things:
1) the act of discarding a card, a game action that triggers Megrim and similar
2) the trait of having been discarded this turn, a trait that only cards in your graveyard can have and that almost nothing cares about (but now something does).

As the cards arrive in your yard they become cards you discarded this turn. This applies even to madness cards because if you don't cast them they go to your graveyard and gain the trait "discarded this turn." This trait is only gained upon arrival in the yard so it doesn't matter that they went through more than the expected one zone change.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This applies even to madness cards because if you don't cast them they go to your graveyard and gain the trait "discarded this turn."

Why?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I have a hankering to try BR Hellbent this standard due to all the silly madness poo poo and Shadow ofthe Grave.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Because the process that put them in the yard was the result of a discard. The object becomes a new object, just as it does when you discard a regular card from your hand, but the process that moved the card to your yard was a discard, which is what matters.

Note that if you discarded a card with madness, it was exiled, and you responded to the madness trigger with a pull from eternity, it would not be a card you discarded this turn, because the process that put it in your yard was the result of a resolving card, not a discard.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

So if you discard Fiery Temper and cast it for R, does the Fiery Temper become a "discarded card"?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Discard card -> (Madness Triggers, enters THE MADNESS ZONE , you may now cast your spell, if you choose to cast it, put it on the stack, then back into THE MADNESS ZONE , leave this irrelevant point in discard. If you don't cast, continue as normal.) -> Put your card in the graveyard, where it wound up as a result of discarding.

Edit: So in regards to that 2 drop that makes the total of -1/-1 counters you put on your creatures one less, how does that work with Persist?
Do they just hit the board with no counter or is it business usual?

Melira 9-12 sounds dumb and stupid in Abzan company so I'm guessing it doesn't work that way.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 15, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Because the process that put them in the yard was the result of a discard. The object becomes a new object, just as it does when you discard a regular card from your hand, but the process that moved the card to your yard was a discard, which is what matters.

Note that if you discarded a card with madness, it was exiled, and you responded to the madness trigger with a pull from eternity, it would not be a card you discarded this turn, because the process that put it in your yard was the result of a resolving card, not a discard.

The process that put them in the yard is the Madness ability.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Count Bleck posted:

Edit: So in regards to that 2 drop that makes the total of -1/-1 counters you put on your creatures one less, how does that work with Persist?

Melira 9-12 sounds dumb and stupid in Abzan company so I'm guessing it doesn't work that way.

Pretty sure they just come back as normal. And abzan company doesn't max out on the available 8 so it seems fine.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Discard card -> (Madness Triggers, enters THE MADNESS ZONE , you may now cast your spell, if you choose to cast it, put it on the stack, then back into THE MADNESS ZONE , leave this irrelevant point in discard. If you don't cast, continue as normal.) -> Put your card in the graveyard, where it wound up as a result of discarding.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Pretty sure they just come back as normal. And abzan company doesn't max out on the available 8 so it seems fine.

:ssh:The secret is that in addition to being your copies of Melira it goes infinite with Devoted Druid in the deck and allows you to tutor out the green god with Chord/CoCo into it to give everyone infinite attack:ssh:

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

:ssh:The secret is that in addition to being your copies of Melira it goes infinite with Devoted Druid in the deck and allows you to tutor out the green god with Chord/CoCo into it to give everyone infinite attack:ssh:

I imagine people end up going 3/1 or 4/1 vizier/anafenza, so that you can still put infinite counters on your team with both. We'll finally be playing Podless Meliraless Melira Pod.

EDIT:

uninverted fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 15, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Speculators are a blight on society.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Some Numbers posted:

Speculators are a blight on society.

They deserve to be heckled at every opportunity.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I managed to get a set of Devoted Druids yesterday at a card shop for $4.50 only because they were still in a massive box of commons and uncommons that I sold to them in 2014 and because the owner isn't a dick.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I got a playset for $4 yesterday because I actually play company and I knew this poo poo would happen. Wonder if it'll even be a decent variant on regular company.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I got a playset for $4 yesterday because I actually play company and I knew this poo poo would happen. Wonder if it'll even be a decent variant on regular company.

You have to play 3 bad cards (Druid, not-Melira, and the god) compared to 2 (Melira and Viscera Seer) in normal Company and you don't get the upside of being able to stack your deck so you also need to have a Chord or the god in hand.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Looking at cards that were explicitly designed to work with Madness yet keep track of the information of the card like Wolf of Devil's Breach,

I don't think it's that much different from how some effects use the last known information of a creature that died, even though that exact game object no longer exists.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Druid does have the upside that it can be +2 on a Chord of Calling

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

You have to play 3 bad cards (Druid, not-Melira, and the god) compared to 2 (Melira and Viscera Seer) in normal Company and you don't get the upside of being able to stack your deck so you also need to have a Chord or the god in hand.

I don't think the god is a bad card at all in this deck and you only need one copy. It's five slots you have to spend on infinite mana that you'd otherwise use for voice of resurgence or extra utility creatures or whatever, since the vizier replaces meliras and anafenzas. The vizier package also has the significant upside of being a combo you can company into that doesn't use the graveyard at all.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

The God is fine as a single and the deck runs 2 EWit to buyback Chords, just treat the Druids like you would Wall of Roots

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The other nice part of the combo is both pieces being two CMC, which means you can buy back either with the revolt man

E: I'm looking on Salvation and Duskwatch Recruiter/Ballista seem interesting in the deck

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 15, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

If you play duskwatch recruiter instead of the god you can stack your deck (add a single elvish visionary and you can even draw that top card).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

little munchkin posted:

If you play duskwatch recruiter instead of the god you can stack your deck (add a single elvish visionary and you can even draw that top card).

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you can just draw every creature in your deck with recruiter and infinite mana, no visionary required.

• Locked thread