Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I bet everyone sneering about the Vive controller batteries didn't hesitate to buy a phone with even less serviceable cells. Good quality lithium cells with a properly tuned battery management circuit last a good long time. Bar gross malfunction, you'll likely be picking up a pair of knuckles controllers with your Vive 2 long before they need replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

More phones should have user-replaceable batteries too, but cool false equivalence.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

Here you go.
That only took half an hour (and now I have some practice with the edit function on the beat mapper.)

There are 2,366 beats in this one so have fun and I'm sorry if it sucks. I'm still relatively new at this.

Hot off the beat grill! (Beat grill? Beat press maybe? Would beat box work better?)
Again I'm not as familiar with the song so I tried to edit out the rougher transitions.

If you both can let me know what you think. Comments, complaints, suggestions, curses upon my house, I'm open to feed back.

EDIT:

:flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

Will check it out when I'm doing some VR tomorrow morning. Also my friends and I made some bad beatmaps last night if anyone wants to try them out http://steamcommunity.com/id/torontowalrus/ https://www.soundboxing.co/user/steam/76561197983544073

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 15, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SEKCobra posted:

It's "Plug in your Vive controller"

So the people who have said their vive controller batteries are totally dead should play with their controllers plugged in all the time?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
One company is pushing room-scale experiences and the other one headlined Palmer Luckey I think the choice is clear :smuggo:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I'm sure the battery issue is real but it is also largely uncommon, I'm not sure that anyone should seriously worry about it.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Ralith posted:

Bar gross malfunction, you'll likely be picking up a pair of knuckles controllers with your Vive 2 long before they need replacement.

My thought exactly, since they're supposed to be coming out by the end of the year.

I hope the knuckles are spiked because that would really come in handy for the VR headset wars.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tweak posted:

I'm sure the battery issue is real but it is also largely uncommon, I'm not sure that anyone should seriously worry about it.

I don't have a problem yet but it is concerning that at any point my Vive setup could become a $800 brick with the only solution to buy another controller from them for $130+$40 or whatever they charge to ship. HTC also has serious problem shipping sometimes resulting in weeks delay before they ship.

I'm happy with my Vive but HTC is horrible in post purchase support so if all things were equal I think rift is a better long term product.

That said things are not at all equal, and the coming Audio strap + wireless + open system of lighthouses make the Vive a good choice. Sorry to talk in circles, both headsets good.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

It just seems very much like worrying about any number of my other household items suddenly breaking, or a meteor hitting my house. Of things to point out as problems for the Vive or any product that uses lithium batteries it seems somewhat reaching. If this is a grave concern for anyone then yes buy a rift, and hope that any number of their peripherals don't also break, I guess.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 15, 2017

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
I know I'm late to the party but holy hell is Sound Boxing great. If you have a Rift+Touch/Vive you owe it to yourself to purchase it and put 30 minutes in. You'll know if you love it (and likely be very sweaty), otherwise refund it.

Right now it's $8, it's been down to $5.30 at the lowest I've seen.

Songs played my first time

Something Japanese I didn't understand but loved
Timewarp from Rocky Horror
Final Countdown (Note: If you stream this song your video will be blocked globally)
Flogging Molly Requiem for a Dying Song
Karate By Baby Metal.

Everytime I felt like a badass, when I got to the end I felt like I did really well. Then I found out I got something like 19th, awesome, of 22, not awesome. But man it's so much better than audio shield it's hard to describe.

Audioshield is great, but Soundboxing is just that much better.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 15, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I picked up Soundboxing during the last sale and just now got around to checking it out.

I should have done that much sooner, poo poo is great.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Also, don't be afraid to go outside your music comfort zone. I'm a total sperg about music and only listen to my carefully selected non-mainstream stuff that I never see on Soundboxing, but a well-made track trumps the music taste.

Especially some of the weeabo stuff, there's one guy who makes crazy good beatmaps that are very varied and makes you jump all over the place, love it.
One example by that guy: https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/7221f7c4-0581-11e7-80c1-0a580a200007

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tweak posted:

It just seems very much like worrying about any number of my other household items suddenly breaking, or a meteor hitting my house. Of things to point out as problems for the Vive or any product that uses lithium batteries it seems somewhat reaching. If this is a grave concern for anyone then yes buy a rift, and hope that any number of their peripherals don't also break, I guess.

The issue is that HTC won't sell anyone the batteries, not that it has lithium batteries. I was able to go on Amazon and get a new battery for my Creative Zen Micro from when I was in high school in a couple days. If that's not possible with the Vive, that's annoying.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

"If this rather unlikely thing happens then youre probably SOL for an easy fix"

I fully expect my controller batteries to be dead in my drawer now

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's unlikely, but we already have stories of people with totally dead batteries trying to get new ones and HTC refusing. Unless those people saying HTC refused to sell them a battery were lying.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ralith posted:

I bet everyone sneering about the Vive controller batteries didn't hesitate to buy a phone with even less serviceable cells. Good quality lithium cells with a properly tuned battery management circuit last a good long time. Bar gross malfunction, you'll likely be picking up a pair of knuckles controllers with your Vive 2 long before they need replacement.

There's plenty of QA issues compounded with awful customer service by HTC so I don't know why you're trying to mock people for being concerned over it. I don't have any problems at the moment but I'd certainly feel better if consumable components were user serviceable so I wouldn't have to deal with the vendor.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I think the point is the vast majority of people won't have to deal with the vendor because issues like this are rare, so don't spend time worrying about it in the same way you wouldn't worry about your phone.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 15, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eh, I don't worry about my phone because fixing it involves a 30 minute trip to the Apple Store where somebody treats me like a human being instead of launching a nightmare RMA process.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
soundboxing goons should post their steamids or soundboxing profiles so we can play each others favourited songs and created beatmaps. mines just upthread

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That would be cool.

Maybe we should do a soundboxing thread.

I would post in that, and it would probably remind me to play more soundboxing too. We could post reviews of new songs every day. Would be fun.

If no one else makes one I will make one when I get back to my computer on Monday

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The Walrus posted:

soundboxing goons should post their steamids or soundboxing profiles so we can play each others favourited songs and created beatmaps. mines just upthread

Mine's here.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Walrus posted:

How do you post your soundboxing profile?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Stick100 posted:

How do you post your soundboxing profile?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Soundboxing goons:
Me, Zsinjeh: https://www.soundboxing.co/user/steam/76561197960552531

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Me Stick100. https://www.soundboxing.co/user/steam/76561197961422532

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I searched the thread as best I could before posting to make sure I didn't miss anything obvious, but if I did feel free to call me a stupid retard or something.

I know VR is still in its early state and no where near being adopted to the majority of games that come out today. That's cool, I'm not so much interested in that. I'm more interested in using a VR headset to play past games, and current ones if they work out. I don't necessarily need head/motion tracking, or actual 3D visuals, I'm looking more for the immersion that I think you would get by basically duct taping a display around your head and seeing nothing but the game. VR sets are more comfortable than that obviously. Some games that come to mind are Elder Scrolls games, any of the Souls games, Dishonored, etc. Now, I know there is this driver/program called VorpX that claims to do that, but many of the things I read in this thread say that its completely hit or miss. Skyrim might crash if you have too many mods loaded that VorpX doesn't like, for example.

Is that the state VR is in right now? Some games might work, if VorpX or something else agrees with it, otherwise you need to stick with games that were developed with VR in mind?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Node posted:

I searched the thread as best I could before posting to make sure I didn't miss anything obvious, but if I did feel free to call me a stupid retard or something.

I know VR is still in its early state and no where near being adopted to the majority of games that come out today. That's cool, I'm not so much interested in that. I'm more interested in using a VR headset to play past games, and current ones if they work out. I don't necessarily need head/motion tracking, or actual 3D visuals, I'm looking more for the immersion that I think you would get by basically duct taping a display around your head and seeing nothing but the game. VR sets are more comfortable than that obviously. Some games that come to mind are Elder Scrolls games, any of the Souls games, Dishonored, etc. Now, I know there is this driver/program called VorpX that claims to do that, but many of the things I read in this thread say that its completely hit or miss. Skyrim might crash if you have too many mods loaded that VorpX doesn't like, for example.

Is that the state VR is in right now? Some games might work, if VorpX or something else agrees with it, otherwise you need to stick with games that were developed with VR in mind?

The difference between games made for VR and everything else in VR is monumental and to someone who does not understand what the current tier1 VR experience is like cannot possibly be stressed enough.
That includes games not made for VR but later modded to have VR support, those are generally poor quality.

VorpX is the current favored non-VR game hack but it is a pretty poor experience compared to native VR games you would feel like you wasted your money if that's what you were going into it for.

I know to you it seems like it would make sense, but wearing a VR headset and playing a game with a mouse and keyboard is not that great of an experience.

However, there are some very nice native VR games out there right now that will make you forget about wanting to play non-VR games for quite a long time.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
If you just want to play a flat game on a massive floating screen in a black void of nothingness or in a really cool retro arcade or where you actually put cartridges in systems to load them then the future is here and it is amazing. Loading my favorite games up into a custom arcade machine and just having a go is great fun, as is playing normal games in a way that shuts everything else out.

Stuff like vorpx goes beyond that and genuinely tries to turn those games into vr games and it is... it feels as hacky as it is basically. Its not good.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 16, 2017

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Yes, it needs to be created for VR or have something that will render the game (along with emulating mouse look). Some games that have really good mod and source code access, like Doom 3, have VR added. I haven't used VorpX since my dk2, so unsure how much it's improved. It certainly worked in plenty of things, though you really need to take time to make it work well. It also would let you play lots of games on a floating 3d screen, if it was something that it could render properly and wasn't really a fps type of game. I did Witcher 2 in that mode, looked decent, killed my GPU.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

rage-saq posted:

The difference between games made for VR and everything else in VR is monumental and to someone who does not understand what the current tier1 VR experience is like cannot possibly be stressed enough.
That includes games not made for VR but later modded to have VR support, those are generally poor quality.

VorpX is the current favored non-VR game hack but it is a pretty poor experience compared to native VR games you would feel like you wasted your money if that's what you were going into it for.

I know to you it seems like it would make sense, but wearing a VR headset and playing a game with a mouse and keyboard is not that great of an experience.

However, there are some very nice native VR games out there right now that will make you forget about wanting to play non-VR games for quite a long time.

I understand that a true VR experience is entirely different than strapping a brick to your head and using a keyboard and mouse. The games I want to play don't work with VR, but might look nice with the headset, which is why I asked.

GlyphGryph posted:

If you just want to play a flat game on a massive floating screen in a black void of nothingness or in a really cool retro arcade or where you actually put cartridges in systems to load them then the future is here and it is amazing. Loading my favorite games up into a custom arcade machine and just having a go is great fun, as is playing normal games in a way that shuts everything else out.

Stuff like vorpx goes beyond that and genuinely tries to turn those games into vr games and it is... it feels as hacky as it is basically. Its not good.

So how do you get this floating screen in a dark void, without resorting to the comical old picture of the guy with a sweater hood wrapped around a monitor? I didn't know VorpX actually tries to imitate the motion sensing that VR games do, I thought it just got it working on the headset's screens.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Not worth it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Some games work ok in Vorpx, but its always kinda up to how tolerant you are to hacky PC gaming stuff and messing with settings. The VR Gamecube/Wii and PSP emulators tend to be a bit more successful at injecting VR into old games, tbh. I don't think any of it is good enough to justify the price of a HMD on its own, but its a cool bonus if a game you like works particularly well with the hacks like Minecraft, Flight Simulator, or Skyrim.

Node posted:

So how do you get this floating screen in a dark void, without resorting to the comical old picture of the guy with a sweater hood wrapped around a monitor? I didn't know VorpX actually tries to imitate the motion sensing that VR games do, I thought it just got it working on the headset's screens.
Steam will do a kinda crappy version of it automatically if you try to launch a non-VR game while in VR. Virtual Desktop or Bigscreen do it a bit better though. VorpX has a cinema mode also so you could kill two birds with one stone buying that I guess.

Its not as good as you might imagine it would be though unless the virtual screen is loving huge though, because the resolution on current headsets are kinda low. Its like playing a game on a grimy drive in theater screen.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Node posted:

Big Screen came free with the Vive. Void mode is really good. I mostly use it for playing Yoshi's Island and Pokemon and other emulator games where the questionable resolution doesnt matter. Actually quite enjoyable. I watch shows in it though - it adds a LOT to Stranger Things since it makes all the in show black void scenes literally borderless which was amazing.

By default Big Screen tries to play your games in a game theatre thing that SUCKS rear end. So loving bad and ruins the whole reason youd want to use it by being poo poo

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

GlyphGryph posted:

Big Screen came free with the Vive. Void mode is really good. I mostly use it for playing Yoshi's Island and Pokemon and other emulator games where the questionable resolution doesnt matter. Actually quite enjoyable. I watch shows in it though - it adds a LOT to Stranger Things since it makes all the in show black void scenes literally borderless which was amazing.

By default Big Screen tries to play your games in a game theatre thing that SUCKS rear end. So loving bad and ruins the whole reason youd want to use it by being poo poo

Looking at this, this seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Do you think so? Thanks for the information!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Node posted:

Looking at this, this seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Do you think so? Thanks for the information!

I've played 85 hours of Overwatch and 100% of that time was in Big Screen in VR. You sort of need to want that experience, but less text-heavy games I think it works great for.

Edit: actually 106 hours

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Node posted:

I understand that a true VR experience is entirely different than strapping a brick to your head and using a keyboard and mouse. The games I want to play don't work with VR, but might look nice with the headset, which is why I asked.

You don't, doing it that way is a huge step down in quality compared to just doing it with a better monitor. Get a 34" ultrawide for your regular games, they will look better and require a lot less compromises.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rage-saq posted:

You don't, doing it that way is a huge step down in quality compared to just doing it with a better monitor. Get a 34" ultrawide for your regular games, they will look better and require a lot less compromises.

Playing lower res video games on a city high-rise or next to a camp ground is very neat and for some people the trade off is worth it. I just find it fun to do!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Node posted:

The big difference between this and something like VorpX is depth perception and presence.

It's kind of hard to describe unless someone has experience with VR, but normally a modern VR headset is completely unlike having a screen strapped to your face. It's not quite the same as being there, either, but it's sort of halfway between, or maybe it would be better to say it feels like a dreamlike imitation of reality. Each eye sees what it would if you were really there, so it's not even like 3d movies, it's like you instinctively know where everything is. When you turn your head there's no latency or sense of delay before what you see turns to catch up. An example would be that when the Vive came out their trailer showed them tossing a vive controller to a guy and him catching it; this might sound a little impressive, but consider that while he could see the controller he couldn't see his hand. He had enough awareness of the space and distances around him that he was able to catch it with a hand by pure muscle memory.

Now, I know you said you weren't looking for pure VR experiences, and that's fine. I just bring this up because you mentioned VorpX. You can play any game you want on a screen in VR and it will be like sitting in a dark room with a projector behind you. I've done it and it's pretty awesome (though taxing on a computer, since it has to render things twice, and low resolution). If that's all you want, it might just be cheaper to get a projector, but the effect would probably be similar.

VorpX does the whole in world perception thing, but it has to do what it can with games not meant for VR. This means your body will feel wrong and wont react right, movement will be wrong, the world will seem oddly proportioned, and you wont be able to move your arms around in the world (though there's actually a mod for Doom 3 that adds that, so it's possible). Those things combined tend to inflict nausea on a fair percentage of people, though some report it going away once they get "VR legs".

Made for VR games, especially ones with motion controllers, are designed from the ground up around fooling your body into thinking everything's right, which is why people say it's really a night and day difference.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Node posted:

What sort of monitor do you have right now that you play on? For me I have an x34 Ultrawide as my main monitor and I also have a Vive. For me the experiences are so different and separated from each other that they don't register as 'playing games on my computer'. It varies from person to person but rage-saq is right, the horsepower required to shuttle two images rendered at a slightly different angle while maintaining 90 fps is the most massive thing you can as of your GPU with games today and that's including the inherent drop in quality because of the resolution of the Rift/Vive headsets. When I'm going to play VR I'm going to stand in my room and swing my arms around but for anything else I will always choose my monitor. Some games like Elite I still play on my monitor as opposed to my Vive because the visual compromises are just that great.
Your games will look far worse in VR than they will on a normal monitor because you are asking for lots more rendering performance yet you'll get a worse picture because of the headset resolutions. But again, that might not matter much to you. As for true VR experiences? Those are where the excitement for VR comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Thanks for your input, everybody. It sounds like its time for plan B.