Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Per Sony, the Battlefront 2 story mode will be official Star Wars canon. It takes place immediately following ROTJ and you play as an Imperial SpecOps commander. There are missions where you play as Luke Skywalker and Kylo Ren, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngd2d0wrCj0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
What system is it on? All I have is Nintendo64

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

UmOk posted:

I heard it was going to be an Ouya exclusive.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Gonz posted:

Per Sony, the Battlefront 2 story mode will be official Star Wars canon. It takes place immediately following ROTJ and you play as an Imperial SpecOps commander. There are missions where you play as Luke Skywalker and Kylo Ren, as well.

"official Star Wars canon" is just a marketing ploy to convince you that what happens in the cut scenes of this generic FPS actually matter.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Finally, we find out what happened to Dash Rendar.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Jewmanji posted:

"official Star Wars canon" is just a marketing ploy to convince you that what happens in the cut scenes of this generic FPS actually matter.
Whoa, you cracked the code.

E: Just listened to the Rogue One soundtrack by itself, and still not wild about it. The new themes are actually pretty nice, with the exception of the title theme, but most of the non-thematic stuff feels like the dullest of filler action music. There are some exceptions. The ambient music on Jedha is pretty cool, with a unique sound to it. The two Death Star destruction scenes also stand out, with each having a very different mood - the first more bombastic and the second more elegiac.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 15, 2017

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

These are the words that summon jivjov.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jewmanji posted:

They matter exactly as much as the scenes in each of the live action films do. What exactly that means to you personally can vary.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Gonz posted:

loving youtube, I love how right after the amazing Star Wars music it's all SCOOBEH DOOBEH DOO! BOOP BEE BOOP BEE WOO

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

dublish posted:

These are the words that summon jivjov.

jivjov posted:

They matter exactly as much as the scenes in each of the live action films do. What exactly that means to you personally can vary.

What have you done, Jewmanji?!

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Kart Barfunkel posted:

They're not spelling out Luke's whole arc in the teaser. Obviously having him lose his academy and seeing another Sith-y establishment take root is going to take the starch out of your ideology. Surely training Rey is going to involve re-igniting whatever Jedi love he has so he can be a good guy again.

At least, that's what I'm gathering. But it's an intriguing hook.

I agree. It's a decent story hook. But if they do end up actually going the route of "The Jedi really are bad on a fundamental level and need to go away" then that would be a pretty awful betrayal of what the series stands for.

And I still find the fundamental concept behind the new trilogy--that the galaxy is in disarray again essentially because the heroes of the OT hosed up in similar ways to their counterparts in the PT--to be incredibly undermining to the story of the original six, which was a two-part saga about children learning from the mistakes of the previous generation and thereby redeeming their parents.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 15, 2017

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

jivjov posted:

I just can't get invested in new canon after all of those bowls of Kellogg's C3PO's I ate as a child were rendered non-canon.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

berserker posted:

loving youtube, I love how right after the amazing Star Wars music it's all SCOOBEH DOOBEH DOO! BOOP BEE BOOP BEE WOO

It's hilarious.

Alternatively, here's the trailer without the skeebop de dada bop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kae-JjbLsgA

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
FYI before Luke catches up with Obi-Wan R2 runs off and this happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqDzeVKGgbI

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

I agree. It's a decent story hook. But if they do end up actually going the route of "The Jedi really are bad on a fundamental level and need to go away" then that would be a pretty awful betrayal of what the series stands for.

And I still find the fundamental concept behind the new trilogy--that the galaxy is in disarray again essentially because the heroes of the OT hosed up in similar ways to their counterparts in the PT--to be incredibly undermining to the story of the original six, which was a two-part saga about children learning from the mistakes of the previous generation and thereby redeeming their parents.

I disagree - if anything I think that "the Jedi are bad" could be done in way consistent with the previous six movies, as long as it doesn't act like the Sith are misunderstood or some poo poo. There's enough in the prequels to support the idea that an institutional Jedi Order is a bad idea, and it's only outwith that order that Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin and Luke succeed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Luke: ... And that's how my dad killed the Emperor and Lando blew up the other Death Star.
Rey: Wow! Did any Imperial death squads hunt you down after that?
Luke: Maybe? I dunno. Who gives a poo poo?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If you're telling me that this moment from Shadows of the Empire is no longer canon I no longer wish to live.

Just look at it. Tell me that isn't the greatest moment of these, our shared Star Wars.

e:

UmOk posted:

^^^^Let us hope the canon gods are kind to us this day, friend, so you can share in this bounty^^^^

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 15, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

21 Muns posted:

By the fourth trilogy, the Bad Guys will be making a Death Star knockoff about once per scene.

The Death Star Clone Wars

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
There's a big hidden secret that a thousand generations ago the Jedi and Sith were totally harmonious but the Jedi double-crossed the Sith in their lust for power, or something similarly dumb.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

cargohills posted:

I disagree - if anything I think that "the Jedi are bad" could be done in way consistent with the previous six movies, as long as it doesn't act like the Sith are misunderstood or some poo poo. There's enough in the prequels to support the idea that an institutional Jedi Order is a bad idea, and it's only outwith that order that Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin and Luke succeed.

An institutional Jedi Order isn't any more of a bad idea than an institutional democracy. The point of the prequels is that institutions inevitably ossify and become corrupted over time and must periodically go through a process of destruction and renewal. That doesn't mean the Jedi fundamentally shouldn't exist as an institution. Institutions can have their downsides, but there's a reason why they spring up, and it's because they serve a valuable purpose. There's utility in bringing individuals together within an organized structure with standards and guidelines directed towards a unified goal. There's also utility in encouraging individuality and the idea of being willing to challenge institutions when they start to lose their way. I don't know why the choice always has to be between total anarchy and total authoritarianism.

Star Wars isn't against organized religion. It's against the bad parts of organized religion.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

An institutional Jedi Order isn't any more of a bad idea than an institutional democracy. The point of the prequels is that institutions inevitably ossify and become corrupted over time and must periodically go through a process of destruction and renewal. That doesn't mean the Jedi fundamentally shouldn't exist as an institution. Institutions can have their downsides, but there's a reason why they spring up, and it's because they serve a valuable purpose. There's utility in bringing individuals together within an organized structure with standards and guidelines directed towards a unified goal. There's also utility in encouraging individuality and the idea of being willing to challenge institutions when they start to lose their way. I don't know why the choice always has to be between total anarchy and total authoritarianism.

Star Wars isn't against organized religion. It's against the bad parts of organized religion.

I feel like an interpretation of Star Wars that is both against liberal democracy and the Jedi Order isn't too far fetched.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah. GOOD: The Force surrounds us all, binds us together. BAD: You're forbidden to marry and have children.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. GOOD: The Force surrounds us all, binds us together. BAD: You're forbidden to marry and have children.

I don't see why you'd need organised religion for that first one.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Cnut the Great, do you think there's something to the fact that the Jedi resemble the marriage between the medieval concepts of chivalry and Christianity, which are in contradiction with one another? From the book Sapiens:

"... in medieval Europe the nobility believed in both Christianity and chivalry. A typical nobleman went to church in the morning, and listened as the priest held forth on the lives of the saints. "Vanity of vanities" said the priest, "all is vanity. Riches, lust and honor are dangerous temptations. You must rise above them and follow in Christ's footsteps. Be meek like Him, avoid violence and extravagance, and if attacked- just turn the other cheek". Returning home in a meek and pensive mood, the nobleman would change into his best silks and go to a banquet in his lord's castle. There the wine flowed like water, the minstrel sang of Lancelot and Guinevere, and the guests exchanged dirty jokes and bloody war tales. "it is better to die" declared the barons, "than to live with shame. If someone questions your honor, only blood can wipe out the insult. And what is better in life than to see your enemies flee before you, and their pretty daughters tremble at your feet?" The contradiction was never fully resolved. But as the European nobility, clergy, and commoners grappled with it, their culture changed. One attempt to figure it out produced the Crusades".

Perhaps in this analogy, Luke isn't being a true heretic and swearing off the Jedi/Christianity, but is merely proposing a new ecumenical mode of thought, akin to something like the pacifist, non-evangelizing Quakers. So he's calling for an end to chivalry/the crusades only.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This entire discussion just reminds me of KOTOR 2 and how most non-force users didn't give a poo poo about whether the Jedi or Sith are in power, because to them they're both just groups of religious fanatics.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Whether he would be right or wrong to do so, I don't believe Luke is going to successfully end the Jedi Order, or at least end the concept of Jedi. Disney payed $4 billion for lightsabers, and goddammit you're gonna get lightsabers up the rear end nonstop for the next 50 years.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, but you don't need a Jedi Order to have lightsabers and people with force powers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

lightsabers up the rear end

They're really taking things in a bold new direction

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Roth posted:

This entire discussion just reminds me of KOTOR 2 and how most non-force users didn't give a poo poo about whether the Jedi or Sith are in power, because to them they're both just groups of religious fanatics.

KotOR 2 is really bad Star Wars, written by people who admitted to only having a pop culture understanding on what Star Wars was actually about.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

sassassin posted:

KotOR 2 is really bad Star Wars, written by people who admitted to only having a pop culture understanding on what Star Wars was actually about.

And that was where?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have as much knowledge of KotOR2 as the writers of KotOR2 are alleged to have about Star Wars, and as a result, my impression of the game is that it's an effective critique of an incorrect interpretation of the main idea.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
KOTOR 2 owned. The bad guy turned out to be the old lady in your party who spend the whole game saying evil poo poo, and her goal is she hates the Force and wants it gone.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
The line is only there so Rey and possibly Like, can use some sick force choke and other violent force powers in the third act.

And I can't wait.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

KOTOR 2 owned. The bad guy turned out to be the old lady in your party who spend the whole game saying evil poo poo, and her goal is she hates the Force and wants it gone.

It was fun and interesting but apart from superficial elements had little in common with the Star Wars films.

As a hot take on KotOR 1 it's fairly insightful.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
Luke went back to the first Jedi temple and seems to have found a book (notably something missing from the series so far). Likely he wants to end the Jedi to correct a mistake that lead to the Jedi/Sith split, probably something to do with the existence of non-Jedi Force traditions.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hodgepodge posted:

Luke went back to the first Jedi temple and seems to have found a book (notably something missing from the series so far). Likely he wants to end the Jedi to correct a mistake that lead to the Jedi/Sith split, probably something to do with the existence of non-Jedi Force traditions.

Which EU novel was this?

Was it the planet of witches?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

These new movies retroactively ruined the old movies!!!!!!

This is the same poo poo people said about the prequels dude.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Luke's just being whiny, Rey will win him over.

When hasn't Luke been whiny?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Luke's just being whiny, Rey will win him over.

When hasn't Luke been whiny?

Perhaps the same could be said of all force users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

sassassin posted:

A pop culture understanding of...pop culture?

Isn't a pop-culture understanding of a collection of films kind of exactly what everyone has?

• Locked thread