Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vince MechMahon posted:

Clearly the next movie will have Cypher bringing Cyber Han back as a villain.

What was the song in the jail break scene?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVl2oQ__GDE

Same as the trailer song. It loving ruled. I love Bassnectar so that combined with the fight choreography in that scene made me even more hype than Dom's prep montage in 7 set to Deftones' Tempest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Charlize Theron owns and Cipher is really well-written:

She has the whole "family relations/love/morality is a biological lie and I am above it!" thing that tons of villains have, but she also believes that she has ascended beyond this anyway and can operate on the level of nation-states, super powers, and empires (That she and her organization are interchangeable puts this idea quite nicely). Her entire goal in the film is to bring "accountability" to otherwise unaccountable actors. She is the proverbial crocodile in the watering hole, and plans to put Russia/USA/France/UK/China on notice. In brief, she's Ozymandias meets Agent Smith. She is pretty much the perfect counterpoint to the Family's idealized, globe-trotting, multi-color liberalism. The Family could be agents of revolutionary change, but are happy enough with the status quo of fast cars, expensive villas, and occasionally doing the bidding of the American Deep State if it means getting out of a jam and seeing their family.

She loses because she doesn't understand the redemptive power of family.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The way Theron plays it is perfect, too. The near whisper, level headedness makes the moment when she finally loses it way more powerful. She doesn't even slip that much, she yells once, but it works because she's been so calm the entire time.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
The part on the ice lake is also a flip of Guardians of the Galaxy where now Vin Diesel's friends surround him to save his life.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
My review: The rock does a Samoan dance in a scene that feels like it's from a different Dwayne Johnson movie. I like how Scott Eastwood's character just gets dunked on all the time. There's a Paul Walker shaped hole for sure but when this one popped off it was real good stuff and I'd love a Fnine

e: Also I love these movies' ridiculous commitment to always put in a few cameos of past characters. It has such a respect for its characters.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 14, 2017

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

That movie kicked rear end. My only real issue was the end bit when he named the baby Brian. I mean, yeah, it's the obvious choice, but Brian is still alive, and should've probably been invited to the rooftop party.

Since parenthood is such a strong theme in this movie, I'm surprised they didn't give a scene where Dom talks about losing his father and wanting to be there for his kid, leading to him naming the kid after his late dad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Friend posted:

That movie kicked rear end. My only real issue was the end bit when he named the baby Brian. I mean, yeah, it's the obvious choice, but Brian is still alive, and should've probably been invited to the rooftop party.

Since parenthood is such a strong theme in this movie, I'm surprised they didn't give a scene where Dom talks about losing his father and wanting to be there for his kid, leading to him naming the kid after his late dad.

I feel like the rooftop party was probably done on the fly on the way back to LA. Also Brian's son is named Dominick, so it makes sense.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

I feel like the rooftop party was probably done on the fly on the way back to LA. Also Brian's son is named Dominick, so it makes sense.

No Brian's son is called Jack, you might be thinking of Vince's son from Five

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I thought it was the third-worst film behind 4 and 2. Some of the sequences were great but I don't know, I thought it was kind of lame compared to a lot of the films.

A huge gripe I had was that they're all just kind of cool with Jason Statham after he mass murdered a hospital in the last film.

Regarding the ending, I thought naming his son Brian was very predictable and I think it would have been much stronger if he named him Paul.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tim Whatley posted:

Regarding the ending, I thought naming his son Brian was very predictable and I think it would have been much stronger if he named him Paul.
That would've made no goddamn sense in the continuity of the series lol

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The entire series makes no goddamn sense.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tim Whatley posted:

The entire series makes no goddamn sense.
Have you rewatched them recently? They're faithful as gently caress to the continuity they've established. They bring back loving everyone who even had a minor role in previous movies.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tim Whatley posted:

A huge gripe I had was that they're all just kind of cool with Jason Statham after he mass murdered a hospital in the last film.

You mean they were cool with the dude that murdered Han and blew up Dom's house with his nephew outside but who cares it's Fast & Furious and F8 owned

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There were a lot of things that dragged down this movie for me, including the stuff mentioned above, but after Elena got tied up and executed to teach a Dom a lessson I was basically checked out until some of the reveals at the end. That was both too grimdark and lazy writing for a series that has given its characters more credit and agency than that poo poo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There were a lot of things that dragged down this movie for me, including the stuff mentioned above, but after Elena got tied up and executed to teach a Dom a lessson I was basically checked out until some of the reveals at the end. That was both too grimdark and lazy writing for a series that has given its characters more credit and agency than that poo poo
She was never part of the core crew though and I felt like it gave more weight to Cipher's character. Like "Okay, wow, she's REALLY not loving around here."

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not sure what credit and agency means but I think that was needed to raise the stakes and yeah if you're going the supervillain route they need to be threatening and do mean stuff

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

And I think going the supervillain route was not a good choice. I don't usually like Tropes-type stuff but what happened fit the definition of Fridging to a T except for an actual refrigerator.

I get the review that compared this film to the Die Another Day of the series, especially because Cipher feels like a villain straight out of the lower-tier Brosnan bonds. I loved the previous films, even the ones that were jankier, because in between the crazy poo poo the character interaction and banter was just fun to watch and heartfelt. With Fate, the cool parts are still cool, but the rest of the film feels like filler to get to the cool parts in a way that the previous ones never did

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I feel like if they wanted to rehabilitate Deckard Shaw's character, he should have had to die to save the baby or something. The way it is now I still feel uneasy with him being around.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

And I think going the supervillain route was not a good choice. I don't usually like Tropes-type stuff but what happened fit the definition of Fridging to a T except for an actual refrigerator.

I get the review that compared this film to the Die Another Day of the series, especially because Cipher feels like a villain straight out of the lower-tier Brosnan bonds. I loved the previous films, even the ones that were jankier, because in between the crazy poo poo the character interaction and banter was just fun to watch and heartfelt. With Fate, the cool parts are still cool, but the rest of the film feels like filler to get to the cool parts in a way that the previous ones never did

I get what you mean but at this point the crazy is being upped with each film, it's inevitable and I think Charlize as a bond villain is pretty enjoyable considering. In terms of the banter and character interactions, I thought was fine this time, in particular Tyrese was funny as ever, and Michelle Rodriguez did a great job with her character with all the Dom betrayal and whatnot. The Rock and Statham was fun too despite the awkwardness of his murderous history. The very end still bothered me a little bit no matter what justifications can be made.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I will say that the most joy I got out of this film is any time the Rock or Jason Statham did anything, especially that sequence that was basically Mile High Club from Modern Warfare except with a baby. I would not be opposed to an Odd Couple-style action spinoff with those two

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I will say that the most joy I got out of this film is any time the Rock or Jason Statham did anything, especially that sequence that was basically Mile High Club from Modern Warfare except with a baby. I would not be opposed to an Odd Couple-style action spinoff with those two

It was to the point that the Rock-Statham relationship was by far the most interesting one to watch, where in most of the previous movies the most important relationship was Vin-Paul Walker.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'd watch the hell out of The Big And The Strongest

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
F7 has a Bond villain, complete with attack helicopter, that just doesn't realize he's in a f&f movie. Not sure why another Bond villain is particularly strange.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Supposedly there was a cut scene that was supposed to set up a spin-off involving the two.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

God drat this was hilarious.

Remember when they tried to make Jason Statham an intimidating villain?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Have you rewatched them recently? They're faithful as gently caress to the continuity they've established. They bring back loving everyone who even had a minor role in previous movies.

Usually in doing so they make even less sense.

stev fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 15, 2017

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
So are the Rock's lines at the end of the movie implying that he's not coming back for 9? Or are they just putting that line in to give them an excuse if he can't come back for 9 for whatever reason?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

So are the Rock's lines at the end of the movie implying that he's not coming back for 9? Or are they just putting that line in to give them an excuse if he can't come back for 9 for whatever reason?

I assumed he will be no longer part of the main cast but might still show up for third act cameos.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Scyantific posted:

Supposedly there was a cut scene that was supposed to set up a spin-off involving the two.

Yeah, there were reports that they did a post credits stinger with them officially teaming up but apparently it was done without Diesel's knowledge or something like that and he made them pull it.

I kind of felt that this movie suffered a little too much from them trying to make it the Vin Diesel show but every time Statham was on screen he just kind of stole the picture.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There's beef between Vin and the Rock, right? I remember seeing a tweet that points out there are basically only like a half dozen shots where the two are physically in the same frame

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When it was filming there was news that they were fighting but then it was supposedly fake?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

muscles like this! posted:

When it was filming there was news that they were fighting but then it was supposedly fake?

No, The Rock has been saying since 5 how much Vin Diesel disappoints him. Their publicists always come out afterwards and say it's nbd, but he keeps saying it.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Bloomberg did a stats breakdown of the series 1-7 in advance of the new one, and there's interesting trends shown in there, especially when you take into account the changes in directors across the series.
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-fast-and-furious/

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd love to see a full breakdown of the deaths caused by Dom "Fambly" Toretto and his psychopath friends. Including estimates of how many innocent civvies would definitely have been killed by that safe and the skyscraper incident regardless of how many times they show people not being killed.

That pileup in 8 must've killed hundreds at the very least. A lot of broken famblies there. Totally worth it Dom.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, it was kind of weird how they specifically showed people in those cars but never really followed up on it in any way.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Steve2911 posted:

That pileup in 8 must've killed hundreds at the very least. A lot of broken famblies there. Totally worth it Dom.
But in the end he gets his kid back and his fambly is complete with Letty even though the baby's mom got executed! :haw:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I like how they attempted to avoid that in 7 since no one is in downtown LA at night. But that happening in the middle of the day in New York would be catastrophic

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I like how they attempted to avoid that in 7 since no one is in downtown LA at night. But that happening in the middle of the day in New York would be catastrophic

Tbf if they were moving a Russian person with the nuclear football they would have locked all of those street's down forever. Before the trip.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I feel like if they wanted to rehabilitate Deckard Shaw's character, he should have had to die to save the baby or something. The way it is now I still feel uneasy with him being around.

Well he also implied he was framed/thrown under the bus, like the Rock was for the emp at the start.

This was the best ff since 5. It rules

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

got any sevens posted:

Well he also implied he was framed/thrown under the bus, like the Rock was for the emp at the start.

Yeah but that's definitely not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah but that's definitely not true.

I mean, it very well might be as it regards to whatever made him enemy of the state prior to FF7. But he did definitely murder Han. So

• Locked thread