Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

YNAB4 for life. I have none of these problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

IllegallySober posted:

I'm seriously considering switching back to it. My god.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Is there still fear of YNAB4 quitting out on us once the Dropbox API changes? Or did that already switch over and everything is fine?

I haven't really kept up with that, I've just hoped that it would either all blow over or the Financier.io guy would be up to feature parity by the time dropbox breaks things.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

TraderStav posted:

Yes, set them up as a checking account. The importing will still work the same. See my post ahead of yours, I think converting mine may have caused an issue. But absolutely can get away from that mess by setting them up as checking.

Do I have to remove / re-add them or can I change the account type after the fact?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Teeter posted:

Is there still fear of YNAB4 quitting out on us once the Dropbox API changes? Or did that already switch over and everything is fine?

I haven't really kept up with that, I've just hoped that it would either all blow over or the Financier.io guy would be up to feature parity by the time dropbox breaks things.

If they have already switched over, it still works fine for me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Do I have to remove / re-add them or can I change the account type after the fact?

You have to remove them. Best thing to do is to pay everything off so account is at zero and then close them. Then reopen as checking.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I may just buy quicken.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

I may just buy quicken.

I'm playing around with the 7 day trial of Financier. I'm very interested. Looks like YNAB4 in the cloud. They're still adding features. Glad to see that scheduled/recurring transactions moved to the "In Progress" board on their Trello.

They're also working on a mobile app. I need to play around to see what other things I'm missing but if those two get in soon I may have all I'd need to replace nYNAB. I can go without automatic importing from banks, despite how nice it is to catch random transactions if I don't check an account online for a while.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

IllegallySober posted:

To be fair I've only ever used nYNAB and I have my credit card accounts set up and working without no issue, the credit card account system makes perfect sense to me, idk.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

I may just buy quicken.

Quicken sucks and their support is terrible and if I knew of any software that would auto-sync my accounts I'd switch in a heartbeat, especially if the autosyncing actually was accurate

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

TraderStav posted:

You have to remove them. Best thing to do is to pay everything off so account is at zero and then close them. Then reopen as checking.

I just created a new checking type account for each of my CC's, clicked on all transactions on each CC, hit Move to the new checking type account, then deleted the old account. Seemed to work fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Steampunk Hitler posted:

I just created a new checking type account for each of my CC's, clicked on all transactions on each CC, hit Move to the new checking type account, then deleted the old account. Seemed to work fine.

FFS I'm an idiot and that would have worked so much better.

e: Went back and just did this, worked beautifully. Had to go back and move some older month budgeting around when the actual overspending took place (thanks nYNAB for hiding that poo poo) but now I have perfect +$0.00 to budget going all the way back to the beginning of this fresh start and NO MORE CREDIT CARD CATEGORIES.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 2, 2017

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I haven't had any major problems with the credit card stuff other than getting used to it being different than the way 4 does it. I don't ever budget to the credit card line in the budget though, seems like that screws things up.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

myron cope posted:

I haven't had any major problems with the credit card stuff other than getting used to it being different than the way 4 does it. I don't ever budget to the credit card line in the budget though, seems like that screws things up.

I never changed those numbers either but SOME, not all, refunds or cash backs will throw things off kilter and that's what happened to me. It's a big black box that's impossible to troubleshoot.

I see no upside to using their method of budgeting credit cards and not just setting them up as checking accounts.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Yes the biggest source of confusion with credit cards is rewards. Refunds are straightforward IF you assign the refund back to the same category as the original purchase. But if you have a Credit Card Reward, it gets very counterintuitive. This guy explains it best:

quote:

Here's an example with basic numbers:

1) Your card balance is -$500 from various budgeted purchases this month and your card payment category Available is $500. Your TBB is $0 because you've given every dollar a job.

2) You get a cash back credit of $50. Enter the transaction as an inflow to your credit card account, with category To Be Budgeted. Your credit card working balance goes to -$450. Your TBB is still $0, and your credit card Available is still $500.

3) So you still have $500 set aside in your credit card Available to pay the bill when it's due, but you only need $450 to pay it in full. You'll enter -$50 to the Budget column for your credit card payment. Now, your TBB will be $50, your credit card Available will be $450, and your credit card balance will be -$450. You can now budget the $50 to one of your categories like regular income.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to handle this so I don't have to manually go in and substract my rewards in step 3..

EDIT: I think I just figured out my solution - I have to put my credit card reward as an inflow to some other category besides TBB. For me, I have a Next Month category where I put all income from the current month and empty it out on the start of the next month (this prevents weird borrowing from the future if you start budgetting the next month). But I imagine you could create a Credit Card Rewards category somewhere if you wanted - when you assign the rewards to a non TBB category, the amount goes into there and your cc debt decreases.. it looks like everything checks out.

FateFree fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 7, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

FateFree posted:

Yes the biggest source of confusion with credit cards is rewards. Refunds are straightforward IF you assign the refund back to the same category as the original purchase. But if you have a Credit Card Reward, it gets very counterintuitive. This guy explains it best:

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to handle this so I don't have to manually go in and substract my rewards in step 3..

Financier does a nice job of this by allowing you to just call everything "income for April." You realize the reward as income in the month you apply it, at least for the cash back cards I utilize.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Financier does a nice job of this by allowing you to just call everything "income for April." You realize the reward as income in the month you apply it, at least for the cash back cards I utilize.

Wow that was exactly what I was writing.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

FateFree posted:

Wow that was exactly what I was writing.

Yeah, it's elegant because unlike expenses (this actually sounds kind of stupid as I'm writing it) I don't 100% know where "income" is going to come from. I'm occasionally given gifts, I occasionally sell an old piece of furniture, I get some amount of interest on our checking account, I sometimes collect some credit card rewards and our bonus and deductions float a little bit month to month so Financier lets you just put it in a big ole bucket and treat it as all the same for allocation.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

That's how YNAB4 used to work, I miss the Income for the next month feature. I also have all of my income go into an income category and 'release' it for the month that I'm budgeting. Throws off all reporting in nYNAB but I do an export of the data anyway to consolidate all of the years of tracking that I have so I'm not worried about that.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah, it's elegant because unlike expenses (this actually sounds kind of stupid as I'm writing it) I don't 100% know where "income" is going to come from. I'm occasionally given gifts, I occasionally sell an old piece of furniture, I get some amount of interest on our checking account, I sometimes collect some credit card rewards and our bonus and deductions float a little bit month to month so Financier lets you just put it in a big ole bucket and treat it as all the same for allocation.

I miss this so much in nYAB, I hope Financier gets a decent mobile experience and then I can just ditch nYAB.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The only thing I genuinely like from nYNAB is the import function. Everything else seems like a downgrade and their system for credit cards is weird as hell.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The only thing I genuinely like from nYNAB is the import function. Everything else seems like a downgrade and their system for credit cards is weird as hell.

Also syncing without Dropbox

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to ynab I realized that act blue was charging me weekly donations to jon ossoff. I mean I support the guy but I put a stop to that auto pay right quick

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I am likely to have $100 left over in my Red Text Avatars budget this month. Will that rollover to the next month in nYNAB?

Similarly, I pay for Bad Movie Streaming Service every three months. It costs $30 every three months, so I'd like to budget $10 / month to it. If I budget $10/month for Bad Movie Streaming Service, would I have the $30 needed to pay the subscription fee by month three?

I know I could wait and find out how nYNAB behaves here, but I'd rather get things sorted out now.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yes it rolls over.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Yes, that's one of the things I really like about YNAB is that you can chip in a little each month toward larger goals. The old YNAB had an option to carry over a negative balance and not force you to budget for it in the month you spent it. This is useful when you have solid cash reserves and KNOW that money is coming back to you (a return you haven't made yet, an expense report you put on a personal card, etc) but they removed that from nYNAB. If you have a negative balance you have to use your current month budget to close it or it'll come out of the next month's available funds to budget.

Or just put in a transaction at the end of the month showing the inflow and remember to clear that when the cash comes in. I do that with my expenses from work. It sucks, but not the end of the world.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I liked negative balances rolling over for instances of like,

I've got $100 budgeted for hitting bars and I've spent $95 already this month, but my friends are going out. I'll go out, spend $15, and borrow from next months drinking budget, so when I budget $100 for next month, it'll only give me an effective $90

With nYNAB, that will remove $10 from my overall budget the next month and I'll need to manually remove that $10 from some category budget which, thanks to me being a weak willed garbage person usually ends up coming out of my extra savings categories before it comes out of fun categories.

Or, more likely, I'll look at my budget, it's the 29th, say gently caress it, and just move that transaction manually into next month

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
A few weeks ago I accidentally double-paid an installment of a loan--since the second payment was within the new statement period and I had the money to spare it was fine, but it would have been annoying to record it if I didn't still have YNAB4 to carry over the balance.

I usually feel like it's cheating and make a point of rebalancing if I go even a few dollars over in a category, but I think we should be able to judge that for ourselves.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Nynab is definitely not for me. I definitely use ynab "wrong". I'm onto rule four, and since I do everything on credit credit card, I will frequently drop categories into the red knowing that I have enough in reserve to cover the bill when it comes due. Then when I do my next month's budget just balance everything back out.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Demon_Corsair posted:

Nynab is definitely not for me. I definitely use ynab "wrong". I'm onto rule four, and since I do everything on credit credit card, I will frequently drop categories into the red knowing that I have enough in reserve to cover the bill when it comes due. Then when I do my next month's budget just balance everything back out.

You should be assigning cash that you have 'in reserve' to whichever category your credit card is purchasing from, that amount available will then automatically go to your credit card category when you mark the transaction as coming from your credit card account, this will drop your credit card's balance in the red (it's debt, after all) but you should have enough to pay it off in your "Credit" category.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I haven't used nynab but this all sounds really convoluted for something that should be really simple.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I haven't used nynab but this all sounds really convoluted for something that should be really simple.

It's really not all that complicated.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I miss being able to split categories and have it automatically figure out how to split up the taxes.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Fano posted:

It's really not all that complicated.

it works perfectly if you dehumanize yourself and face to ynab

if you try to fight the method it becomes awful

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Do you also try to peddle bicycles with your hands, then complain how horribly they work unless you use as intended, so dehumanizing, like it's the master telling you, a human being with agency and free will, what to do?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: if it ain't broke don't fix it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

TheCenturion posted:

Do you also try to peddle bicycles with your hands, then complain how horribly they work unless you use as intended, so dehumanizing, like it's the master telling you, a human being with agency and free will, what to do?

I did, in fact, once sell a bicycle with my hands, no intermediaries involved with the transaction.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

This is stupid.

The functionality clearly leaves something to be desired because it straight up doesn't work sometimes.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Potato Salad posted:

I did, in fact, once sell a bicycle with my hands, no intermediaries involved with the transaction.

This is delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Potato Salad posted:

Argh. S/peddle/pedal. Dammit.

The point still stands. That said, I still use ynab 4 due to preferring the workflow and what not. But I don't bitch when the software works as envisioned. If you want your own free form budget that works how you want, when you want, use a spreadsheet b