Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

CannonFodder posted:

It's like seeing an old friend, and heartwarming to see he's still married.

Hello.jpg is probably old enough to vote.
Exactly

that actually explains quite a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Nuns with Guns posted:

Something close to that happened with some other webcomic artist who had a boring video game webcomic. He saw SA calling his comic rear end and bad and went "holy poo poo, it's true" and then drastically improved his art. It might've been the dude that does Fanboys?

the guy who made Fanboys IIRC

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Grandmother of Five posted:

As far as I remember, zoofights were just CYOA-ish threads with a monster battle arena theme. It just seems like a weirdly innocuous thing to have turned into an off-site, but I guess one of the reason that a lot of on-line communities split up, is because no matter what content the community is originally centered around, a sub-community of people will want to jerk off to it.

There was no jerkin it going on, people were just pretending to be weird steampunk gentlemen or whatever, so I said "fine if you want to stop making GBS threads up the voting/discussion threads and post in this subforum"

Also "turned into an offsite" is a weird way to put it, the website was (and still is) an attempt to collect everything in one place, and the forums were a half-hearted attempt to get more than just GBS interested (it didn't really work tbh). It ran concurrently with the GBS thread.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think the Spoonful of Bromide saga is one of my all-time favourites. :allears:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Yeah Spoonful Of Bromide said that Goatse was the worst thing they has ever seen and that they literally broke down crying because I sent it to them. I forget who suggested I PM them it but I sent a PM with the title "here is some of my other art if you're interested" and just img tagged Goatse. That person is insane for real though.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
So the incel thread got gassed a while ago.

Anyone know why this keeps happening? I think every Internet mock thread I've ever read has been gassed. What the hell do goons keep doing?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

magikid posted:

Anyone know why this keeps happening? I think every Internet mock thread I've ever read has been gassed. What the hell do goons keep doing?

Goons tend to start doxxing or getting weirdly insular and creepy. Once you've hit the obvious targets they tend to focus on smaller and smaller deals but keep up the same level of outrage so you get them literally wishing death on some reddit idiot who got pissed about a date that got cancelled or whatever.

Zore has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Apr 15, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

magikid posted:

A thread either gets prematurely goldmine, or lives long enough to become the very thing it mocks.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

magikid posted:

A good mock thread is only sane and fun for so long, then people get too invested, start borderline stalking people involved, or the thing they're mocking enters the thread and tears it apart (like the incels within the incel thread, the awful Tumblr goons from the Tumblr mock threads, etc) . At this point you could chart a graph for the decline of a mock thread over time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nude posted:

A thread either gets prematurely goldmine, or lives long enough to become the very thing it mocks.

Or sometimes people don't read beyond the title and the thread ends up getting mistaken for something it isn't and gassed. The "nice guy" thread was pretty much the predecessor to the incel thread, but you had to read the posts to gather that the titular "nice guys" were creeps and/or assholes and the thread was mocking them while exploring how such broken people develop. My impression is that the thread was gassed due to the erroneous assumption it was cheerleading for misogynist behavior, all the more ironic considering Pick and Troposphere were both heavily involved in the thread.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sid Vicious posted:

Yeah Spoonful Of Bromide said that Goatse was the worst thing they has ever seen and that they literally broke down crying because I sent it to them. I forget who suggested I PM them it but I sent a PM with the title "here is some of my other art if you're interested" and just img tagged Goatse. That person is insane for real though.

It was me, I thought it would be funny. And it was. Good job in that thread and thank yu.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

It was me, I thought it would be funny. And it was. Good job in that thread and thank yu.

This is now canon.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Sid Vicious posted:

lol, thanks, it was one of your best works

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah I can see this being true absolutely and it was very funny indeed

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Spanish Manlove posted:

I thought it would be funny

the goon creed

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

in a few years, somebody getting a doctorate in Internet Studies will write their thesis on goatse and defend it in front of several elderly professors

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zore posted:

Goons tend to start doxxing or getting weirdly insular and creepy. Once you've hit the obvious targets they tend to focus on smaller and smaller deals but keep up the same level of outrage so you get them literally wishing death on some reddit idiot who got pissed about a date that got cancelled or whatever.

They also either touch the poop, or just run out of steam. Like with the old TVTropes mock topics after a while there would just be nothing to make fun of so it devolved into people posting one weird guy's fanfiction until someone was dumb enough to show up and post about how they made a topic on the TVTropes forums to totally troll them!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

in a few years, somebody getting a doctorate in Internet Studies will write their thesis on goatse and defend it in front of several elderly professors

there have been courses about memes for years already

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im looking forward to the 2 page butt glossary

goatman yeah

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
It is honestly fascinating how quickly these super insular, weird mini-communities can form. It isn't unique to mock threads, I think, but when what brings people together, is making fun of some other group, an "Us versus Them" mentality just develops super quickly, I think, and it can turn legitimately hateful and obsessive.

It doesn't happen in every mock thread, but when they do end up hateful, people end up with weird justifications for it, like they are some kind of internet-vigilantes who are morally right, which justifies to them making a step from making fun of weird stuff on-line, and into harassment and obsession, I think.

SA has had a ton of neat and super interesting content centered around gawking at weirdos that I'd like to see re-booted one one hand, but I'm not sure how to avoid them turning sour.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There was no jerkin it going on, people were just pretending to be weird steampunk gentlemen or whatever, so I said "fine if you want to stop making GBS threads up the voting/discussion threads and post in this subforum"

Also "turned into an offsite" is a weird way to put it, the website was (and still is) an attempt to collect everything in one place, and the forums were a half-hearted attempt to get more than just GBS interested (it didn't really work tbh). It ran concurrently with the GBS thread.

I didn't mean to describe any specific off-site, but just to make a joke about how absurd off-sites can appear imo. Not that goons are beyond reproach, but in the cases where a group splinters off because of drama, I think you're just generally not likely to have the most level headed people be involved.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I tried to post in the YCS offsite and they all just said hey you're that guy who posted your dick in GBS so I didn't bother

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Nuebot posted:

They also either touch the poop, or just run out of steam.

Or in the case of the incel thread, incels came in to defend themselves.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

It is honestly fascinating how quickly these super insular, weird mini-communities can form. It isn't unique to mock threads, I think, but when what brings people together, is making fun of some other group, an "Us versus Them" mentality just develops super quickly, I think, and it can turn legitimately hateful and obsessive.

It doesn't happen in every mock thread, but when they do end up hateful, people end up with weird justifications for it, like they are some kind of internet-vigilantes who are morally right, which justifies to them making a step from making fun of weird stuff on-line, and into harassment and obsession, I think.

SA has had a ton of neat and super interesting content centered around gawking at weirdos that I'd like to see re-booted one one hand, but I'm not sure how to avoid them turning sour.

I didn't mean to describe any specific off-site, but just to make a joke about how absurd off-sites can appear imo. Not that goons are beyond reproach, but in the cases where a group splinters off because of drama, I think you're just generally not likely to have the most level headed people be involved.

i mean, remember helldump? that place got shut down for a reason

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sid Vicious posted:

I tried to post in the YCS offsite and they all just said hey you're that guy who posted your dick in GBS so I didn't bother

wtf is wrong with you

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Powaqoatse posted:

wtf is wrong with you

we need to convince someone to change their name to Naqoyqoatse to complete the trilogy

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Somewhat related, but Goons have this way of bending themselves in pretzels to justify mocking something so much. It's the "It's coming right for us!" defense in that whatever subculture be it furries, Fetlife, troopers, etc are making some proactive assault on Goon dignity.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

we're all the same thing

"goonity" i say

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

we need to convince someone to change their name to Naqoyqoatse to complete the trilogy

hell yea

panfilo do it pls

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

undirected anger doesnt matter

killing the rich does

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Yeah. If you re-visit helldump, you'll just see that a ton of the people doing the call-outs have gotten bans or permabans themselves since, and generally not undeserved. Helldump is something I wouldn't want back; but rather stuff like games.txt, gorgnards.txt, Weekend Web stuff. That stuff can turn weird, too though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816817&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Has there ever been a mock thread mock thread? Or does this thread basically qualify as that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mojo1701a posted:

He was also a guy who kept saying, "I have an MFA in animation. Hire me!" and whined about how his roommate who actually practiced his art got a job working for Disney but he didn't.

actually dobsob was offered a disney job too but it was to work on coloring books etc and not cartoons so he turned it down

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Heath posted:

Has there ever been a mock thread mock thread? Or does this thread basically qualify as that

FYAD does have threads for mocking goons, or used to.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Spanish Manlove posted:

i can tell this is a lie because youve never done anything funny in your life

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Panfilo posted:

Goon dignity.

:laffo:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

goon diggity, no doubt

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

magikid posted:

The incel thread was kinda crappy to me but I left it alone. It's sort of like having a barrel fishing thread in TFR. Not exactly hard hitting to mock the guys who are really angry about never getting laid. Presumably people got weird and extra hateful about it but I don't know the real answer, I let the other GBS mods take that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fwiw i didnt know there was an incel(wtf?) thread but im ok with there still not being such a thread thread