Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Wouldn't the pins all just drag a single-file line in the soot across the edge of the key?

You jiggle the key and look at the lateral marks made by the pins.

Sooting a key blank works, but it’s a trial‐and‐error technique. After sooting the key and jiggling it in the lock, Elizabeth would have to take the marked blank to somewhere private, and file down any position on the key that has lateral scratches. Repeat at least five times.

e: Impressioning manual. It talks about using a lot of force and scratching the brass itself, but with the aid of soot, you can make more visible marks with less force.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Ah. Once a pin's section is filed to where the pin releases, it stops scratching the key. And being a therapist's office, she's got a perfectly normal reason to go back repeatedly until she gets it right. It might take her a couple months of weekly sessions but she'll have the key eventually. Clever.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

speakhard posted:

Actually the new Slate podcast discusses how the shots of Frank Langella were green screen because he couldn't make the trip to DC; the rest was a body double shot from behind on location

I knew it!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
First, whoever mentioned The Patriot on Amazon in this thread and called it 'transcendent,' thank you for that. I started watching that this weekend and holy poo poo. That's some of the best TV there is.

That said, I'm really eager to see where this season of Americans even ends up at this point. Usually I have a vague sense at what the endgame is of a story. Phil has had hangups and misgivings with the cause from Day 1, but I am beginning to wonder if Elizabeth might not be starting to really question things.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
It's just "Patriot".

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Oh yeah meant to thank this thread for that recommendation. Those ten episodes went quick.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Doronin posted:

First, whoever mentioned The Patriot on Amazon in this thread and called it 'transcendent,' thank you for that. I started watching that this weekend and holy poo poo. That's some of the best TV there is.

That said, I'm really eager to see where this season of Americans even ends up at this point. Usually I have a vague sense at what the endgame is of a story. Phil has had hangups and misgivings with the cause from Day 1, but I am beginning to wonder if Elizabeth might not be starting to really question things.

I think what might manage to snap Elizabeth out of her ~zeal~ might be either a failed or successful suicide attempt by Paige.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think what might manage to snap Elizabeth out of her ~zeal~ might be either a failed or successful suicide attempt by Paige.

There's no way she'd be able to empathize with it. Her reaction would be anger. At Paige.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

OMGVBFLOL posted:

There's no way she'd be able to empathize with it. Her reaction would be anger. At Paige.

"How could such weakness come from *me*? -looks at Philip- YOU. YOU DID THIS!"

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Doronin posted:

Pontius Pilate posted:

Oh yeah meant to thank this thread for that recommendation. Those ten episodes went quick.

Glad both of you got to see the greatness that is season one of Patriot. I still cannot fathom how the hell it has no presence yet at all on the web ring of the usual suspect TV and pop culture review/online critic websites, as well as on Amazon itself. Has to be one of the most under the radar and lowest publicized/profiled shows in proportion to it's quality and worthiness in the past five years or so.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Doronin posted:

Yeah I agree. The honey trap stuff was bothering her last season and now it's clear she (with good reason) really struggles with what she did to Yung-hee's family. Elizabeth seems to still be more on board that Philip (didn't appear to give a poo poo about the dude in the lab) but she's not the unwavering zealot of earlier seasons.

I know we're not getting a happy ending for the series; at this point I wonder how dark they're gonna go.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If I don't like the first episode of Patriot, does it change at all going forward? I've tried watching the first episode 3 times now and it just bores me to death. It seems like a well produced show, just maybe not my cup of tea.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GobiasIndustries posted:

If I don't like the first episode of Patriot, does it change at all going forward? I've tried watching the first episode 3 times now and it just bores me to death. It seems like a well produced show, just maybe not my cup of tea.

I think if the pilot doesn’t hook you, move on.

Not true for every show, but true for Patriot.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the pilot but by episode 3, the main character being a sad sack of poo poo all the time is definitely starting to get annoying. Hopefully the cop gives him the necessary kick in the balls already.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I was actually disappointed by the season's ending: A sad, broken spy chasing a MacGuffin is a schtick that's good for one season, not two. They should've started wrapping the plot up and bringing him to catharsis 2/3 of the way through to tie it up neatly by the end. If they did that, it would've been an extremely strong show.

That being said, I loved it. I thought Burn After Reading was absolutely hilarious. That's about where my sense of humor's at. Patriot is right there, too. I also didn't expect it to be 50% comedy so that was all a pleasant surprise.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Patriot has a thread! :)

I'll say this though, I thought that the greatness of the show was in part due to the fact that it never stops being absurd farce and schadenfreude. It is definitely similar to Burn After Reading in that way and if you think it'll be a deal breaker for you that the season never stops being full of chaos and complications.

Though I will say that John very much does change over the season. It's important sometimes to remember that when the season starts, it's only a few months (or less?) than that after he underwent "The White Torture" which consisted of him being in a bright steel box and hearing "The Day the Music Died" for literally 8 months.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Didn't Elizabeth mention at one point that Phillip came from a better off family? His flashbacks still seem pretty rough. Is this a case of Elizabeth having it even shittier/being more of a communist crusader? Or just to emphasize how lovely the Soviet experience was during the Great Patriotic War?

I guess I had imagined him coming from an Oleg type family or at least comfortably middle class.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Pontius Pilate posted:

Didn't Elizabeth mention at one point that Phillip came from a better off family? His flashbacks still seem pretty rough. Is this a case of Elizabeth having it even shittier/being more of a communist crusader? Or just to emphasize how lovely the Soviet experience was during the Great Patriotic War?

Phillip got mugged every week bringing home groceries when he was a kid. That implies he had stuff worth mugging. Elizabeth didn't have that.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Phillip still had both his parents, his dad had a job, one good enough that his mom didn't have to work. They ate daily. They had clothes that weren't darned-together rags.

From the perspective of someone (Elizabeth) whose ideal philosophy shuns the value of consumer goods and personal wealth while emphasizing family and communal effort, and within the almost unimaginably bleak context of postwar europe, "better off" doesn't seem unreasonable.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Here's your grandpa Paige!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Gabriel wanted you to grow up strong like a tiger :unsmith:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

Gabriel wanted you to grow up strong like a tiger :unsmith:

An animal native to Russia

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

MAIL ROBOT SPOTTED

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Martha 2.0

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

"Philip you needy bitch."

God, this is a strange woman.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Question: what ever happened to that Soviet defector woman that the FBI had to protect?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Question: what ever happened to that Soviet defector woman that the FBI had to protect?

She was a Soviet spy. Oleg and Stan outed her in an attempt to get the US to trade her for Nina. They traded for someone else instead.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Gabriel got a fern for a going away present

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Stan's girlfriend a confirmed Russian spy. Indiana University is IU, not U of I.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"You're losing it."

Welp.

"You really should've kept Paige out of all this."

Welp.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Philip is going to jump off a building at some point.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Good Lord, Phillip's expression at the end of the episode. :stare:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I was wondering if Phillip might kill Gabriel right there.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
God I love Elizabeth: "It's okay to care someti--" "NO IT ISN'T."

I've been watching Адаптация, the closest equivalent on Russian TV to the Americans, and it's quite amusing despite me not having nearly a good enough command of Russian to get what's going on all the time. Plus seeing Peter Jacobson as the CIA boss in a Russian series is an amusing contrast.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

God I love Elizabeth: "It's okay to care someti--" "NO IT ISN'T."

I've been watching Адаптация, the closest equivalent on Russian TV to the Americans, and it's quite amusing despite me not having nearly a good enough command of Russian to get what's going on all the time. Plus seeing Peter Jacobson as the CIA boss in a Russian series is an amusing contrast.

Does it also show Henry's side of the story and reveal that his frequent absences were actually spy trips to Russia?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I loved Phillip's line about feeling like a guy on the posters.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CBJSprague24 posted:

"You're losing it."

Welp.

"You really should've kept Paige out of all this."

Welp.

howe_sam posted:

Good Lord, Phillip's expression at the end of the episode. :stare:

Goddamn that was some good poo poo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Elizabeth and Phillip continuing to let Paige think the US is trying to destroy Soviet grain will in no way blow up in their face in spectacular fashion.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I kinda thought Gabriel might tell Phillip about Mischa at the end there, but I guess not.
Elizabeth and Phillip continuing to let Paige think the US is developing something to destroy USSR crops is hardcore.

gret posted:

Stan's girlfriend a confirmed Russian spy. Indiana University is IU, not U of I.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was like "What the gently caress?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I wonder if the center is recalling Gabriel because they think hes too soft of them. He seems to genuinely care about Philip but then throws those two burns at him as the last thing he'll ever say to him.

• Locked thread