Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bloodychill posted:

Not only that, Lego Avengers is a really weak follow-up to Lego Marvel, though that is admittedly the highest mark in the silly Lego collectathon series by quite a bit.

Lego games are still fun IMO, but my opinion of them dropped a bit after they did Lego Hobbit, only made 2/3 of the story with the intention of making the last third DLC, then never actually made the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm finally playing Plague Knight and drat it's good, but I'm really bad at it

The darkness section of Spector Knight's level was very harrowing

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lobstertainment posted:

Wait really? I've put off starting this until I can devote some serious attention. Had no idea the first game tied in to such an extent.
The things the original Nier spoils are, in my view, largely irrelevant in Automata. Not important thematically to the narrative at all. The problem was, specifically, a couple of characters who are introduced with some degree of prominence were a bit distracting to me because for all I knew at the time they were meant to be major components of the endgame but ultimately their backstories were only alluded to and were not altogether that important.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpFXydY1K8k

The PC release of Persona 5 is coming along faster than I expected.

I wonder if hipsters were in vogue at the start of this game's development, because leaning so heavy into the hipster stuff for your main cast in 2017 (or whenever this game is going to be released) feels very weird and dated.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Every dipshit on earth has a beard and glasses and a flannel shirt these days and i might have to change the style ive had for 25 years to something even lazier to stand out again

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

The things the original Nier spoils are, in my view, largely irrelevant in Automata. Not important thematically to the narrative at all. The problem was, specifically, a couple of characters who are introduced with some degree of prominence were a bit distracting to me because for all I knew at the time they were meant to be major components of the endgame but ultimately their backstories were only alluded to and were not altogether that important.

Ah, thanks. Had me worried for a moment there. Thought I was going to watch a *shudders* let's play.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Real hurthling! posted:

Every dipshit on earth has a beard and glasses and a flannel shirt these days and i might have to change the style ive had for 25 years to something even lazier to stand out again

Sweatpants and a white t-shirt with holes in it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The game does a few really nice callbacks though, and it helps deepen the experience a bit if you played or know about a couple of the things that happen in 1.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Sweatpants and a white t-shirt with holes in it.

Zubas and shades, no shirt

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I feel bad about nier because it affected me in a really heavy way to the point where I've got it up in goat status but I know not everyone experiences games the same way.
I got burned by telling my SO about the Witcher 3 and they hated it, so I try not to hype up games when I recommend them because of that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

For when this comes up a third time, the thing spoiling Nier 2 is not Nier 1, but people yelling loudly that 1 spoils 2.

They could have always done something different with it, but now I know that's not the case.

And I'm not even saying this is a big or important spoiler but the notion that Nier 1 spoils Nier 2 is still dumb.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I did everything possible in Ys Origin that doesn't involve beating the game three more times on Nightmare mode and I'm worried I might attempt that too.
I already started one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I did everything possible in Ys Origin that doesn't involve beating the game three more times on Nightmare mode and I'm worried I might attempt that too.
I already started one.

I will eventually do this whenever the Vita version comes out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CJacobs posted:

There's a plot point in Automata that is spoiled in Nier because Nier takes place in the relevant time period. :shrug:

edit: What I specifically mean is (endgame spoilers for both games) Nier reveals very explicitly that the humans are all already gone. So that becoming a major plot point in Automata will have way less impact if you already know the truth.

do you know what a sequel is

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

if you read the fellowship before twin towers, you'll know that frodo's ring is the ONE RING! fuckin spoiled!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRTfcMeqhig

80 minutes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

corn in the bible posted:

do you know what a sequel is

Yes. That plot point in Automata banks for quite some time on you not knowing about it. The whole tone of the game's first chapter changes if you do.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Os54wPagUw

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lobstertainment posted:

Ah, thanks. Had me worried for a moment there. Thought I was going to watch a *shudders* let's play.

Instead of watching an LP, you should play Nier because it is a very good game!

e: also,

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

A sequel demands knowledge of its predecessor. If you don't have knowledge of something from a game, things in the sequel may be mysteries to you. That doesn't mean the first game 'spoils' the second.

my stance from the last thread, when we had this exact same discussion

Olive! fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 16, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The opening subscriber gag already justifies this video

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Is that an hbomberguy video

I don't wanna click it and give him views to find out if it is

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

FirstAidKite posted:

Is that an hbomberguy video

I don't wanna click it and give him views to find out if it is

Yes, and you should click it because he's good.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i'm not gonna watch it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

lets hang out posted:

i'm not gonna watch it

I don't like him and I don't want to support him

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dark souls 2 is bad

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dr Cheeto posted:

He's great in general but I thought his video about Bloodborne and Dark Souls was a bit off (turtling up behind a shield is far more justifiable than he makes it out to be).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Only if you want to play the boringest way possible.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1kraLCd3E4

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I don't know anything about hbomberguy but I certainly don't care to watch a feature-length internet video about some guy's opinion of Dark Souls 2

e: like it could be Hidetaka Miyazaki's opinion of Dark Souls 2, I still wouldn't watch 80 minutes of it

Olive! fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 16, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is he the same guy that did a three hour force awakens video or something a year after it came out

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

hbomb is good

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Help Im Alive posted:

Is he the same guy that did a three hour force awakens video or something a year after it came out

Sounds like the Red Letter Media guy who became internet famous by excruciatingly dissecting the Star Wars prequels while pretending to be a serial killer/rapist.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hbomb is cool guys its ok to like a youtube man sometimes, hope you forgive them for making stuff

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Started playing severed it rules very hard

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't like him and I don't want to support him

Hbombman is my friend. :(

Motto posted:

The opening subscriber gag already justifies this video

Agreedo.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Hbomb is bad. Just like Dark souls 2

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

hbomber is good because he makes videos about how poo poo racist YouTubers are instead of making vids that just go "Yeah but COMEDY" or blaming newspapers or whatever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Hbomb is cool guys its ok to like a youtube man sometimes, hope you forgive them for making stuff

I don't like him because several several years back we used to be friends and then he kept shoving some old d&d RP stuff he dug up on me on the internet in my face even though he knew it made me feel uncomfortable and he kept telling me it was my fault for being offended and that he was doing me a favor by showing me how stupid I was as a kid for doing it.

I've seen his content, he is perfectly capable of making good content, I just don't like him as a person because of what he did to me and his bullshit reasoning for it. It hurt a lot and I don't believe there's any way I can forgive him for it because my entire life is already filled with enough poo poo that I didn't appreciate someone I considered a good friend purposefully going out of their way to be an rear end in a top hat supposedly for my own good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That sucks FAK, I didn't know about your personal history with him. It sounds like a really unpleasant thing for a friend to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Snak posted:

Only if you want to play the boringest way possible.

It's low-risk in a game that is built around punishing you severely if you make a mistake. The later games in the series do a much better job of supporting non-shield based builds (which is especially and trivially true of Bloodborne), and once you've played the series a bit you get used to the mechanics and can play around with a lot more options, but if someone was starting the series with Dark Souls 1 today I'd still advise them to find a good shield ASAP.

E: gently caress that sounds poo poo FAK.

• Locked thread