Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

yeah i thought "antifa" just meant wearing black and yelling a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

logikv9 posted:

is antifa that organized anyway

sounds like just a common banner that people rally around, not a monolithic organization
IMO they should find a different banner

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i can't believe that the antifa national committee refused to contribute funds to this easy Berkeley protest

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

loving

lol

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

logikv9 posted:

i can't believe that the antifa national committee refused to contribute funds to this easy Berkeley protest

hahahaha

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
lol Standing around Heil-ing like a loving Neanderthal is the same as 'sacking' ok you stupid poo poo.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Yeah it's really weird how hand-wringers ITT are freaking out when

1. Alt-right bussed in or flew in bunch of people to get their numbers this high
2. Plenty of right-wingers got their asses beat
3. Alt-right claims of victory appear to be because a very small man punched a woman with dreadlocks

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

"Rome got totally sacked", the Alaric stated as he stood around in a busy market in central Rome. "We're going after Nola next."

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

SunAndSpring posted:

1. Alt-right bussed in or flew in bunch of people to get their numbers this high
3. Alt-right claims of victory appear to be because a very small man punched a woman with dreadlocks

Some people are going to be shaken as long as Trump is still in office. Remember what D&D was like before Trump's incompetence cascade and Milo getting sacked? Suicide watch was a kind word for it.

Today hasn't been great, but even if this was a victory for the MAGA-heads, this comes after a long string of defeats for them, up to and including Trump giving the cold shoulder to their boy Bannon. People should not be so worried.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

SunAndSpring posted:

This thread is about the new right's media... And today they just organized a violet political action in the home of American progressivism and won. And yes, they won - they held the streets while Antifas ran away. Unfortunately not every interaction with the alt-right will be as hilarious as Richard Spencer encounters.

Maybe the antifas will come out again later tonight and strike while the MAGA men are drunk on victory and bad beer. Or maybe the goon squad will just go home and pat themselves on the back after beating on some kids.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
to be honest people should be calling them out for being safety dickheads

Yeah i could wear full hockey gear but now that wouldnt be sporting would it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Symbolic victories matter, because people really around symbols.

I'll agree with wiki, antifa dropped the ball. If they had won, they could have retroactively justified themselves against the Milo stuff. Now that they lost, they're doomed.

A good copy of cable street would have broken the illusion of 'strength' that fascists need to operate.

This demonstrates the failure of the anarchist model - distributed resistance cannot meet organized reaction toe-to-toe. The anarchist phobia of central planning, or at the very least a loose command structure, means they lost to people who were willing to deploy resources to get what they want.

If the fascists bussed in their guys, antifa should have bussed in allies to win.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 01:00 on Apr 16, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

rudatron posted:

Symbolic victories matter, because people really around symbols.

I'll agree with wiki, antifa dropped the ball. If they had won, they could have retroactively justified themselves against the Milo stuff. Now that they lost, they're doomed.

A good copy of cable street would have broken the illusion of 'strength' that fascists need to operate.

This demonstrates the failure of the anarchist model - distributed resistance cannot meet organized reaction. The anarchist phobia of central planning, and the very least a loose command structure, means they lost to people who were willing to deploy resources to get whay they want.

If the fascists bussed in their guys, antifa should have bussed in allies to win.

antifas is also a mindset friend.

I didnt get a membership card or a ticket to Berkeley.

chances are id go and get royally hosed up, but eh.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Then it's a stupid mindset that can't win. Politics isn't about 'mindests' as the end goal, is about getting things. It's an instrument. If all antifa has is a name and a code or whatever, then it's worthless trash. You need an organizational structure, to solve the collective action problem, otherwise poo poo like this will happen.

If Trump guys came from all over the country, why couldn't antifa? Nothing's stopping them.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sneakyfrog posted:

antifas is also a mindset friend.
Antifa Mindset by Mike Bakuninvich

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Antifa tactics are too predictable. They need to be more weird. Something like showing up in MAGA gear and selling whole milk to all the supremacists that has a shitload of ipecac in it.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

rudatron posted:

This entire Berkeley situation was caused by Milo, and the subsequent "battles of Berkeley" were all promoted by alt-right media figures like Gavin McInnes and Lauren Southern. Combined, all these far-right media figures reach millions of people, and were able to organize through twitter, youtube, reddit, and 4chan.

Where are the left-wing version of McInnes or Southern? And please don't say Chapo...

E:

Important note: Despite reaching millions of people the best the alt-right could muster were a couple hundred sad brains. If the left had any ability to organize resistence they would have kicked their rear end today.

Montasque has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Apr 16, 2017

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

rudatron posted:

Then it's a stupid mindset that can't win. Politics isn't about 'mindests' as the end goal, is about getting things. It's an instrument. If all antifa has is a name and a code or whatever, then it's worthless trash. You need an organizational structure, to solve the collective action problem, otherwise poo poo like this will happen.

If Trump guys came from all over the country, why couldn't antifa? Nothing's stopping them.

Maybe because almost no one heard about this protest before it happened, and most of the people who cared were already alt-right fanatics? The only reason this even made the news is the violence. Try the same thing in NYC, Chicago, LA, Seattle, or any city worthy of the name, with publicity to match. I guarantee you the results would be reversed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TheBalor posted:

Some people are going to be shaken as long as Trump is still in office. Remember what D&D was like before Trump's incompetence cascade and Milo getting sacked? Suicide watch was a kind word for it.

Today hasn't been great, but even if this was a victory for the MAGA-heads, this comes after a long string of defeats for them, up to and including Trump giving the cold shoulder to their boy Bannon. People should not be so worried.

here is why i am not worried as much as i should be. the maga dipshits are a bunch off shallow idiots without a real leader to unite them, the only thing that sorta keeps them from fighting each other is "trolling" the left and trump and trump might be on the way out as their god. there is not hitler type figure of this movement for them to rally around. just a bunch dumb con man assholes and edgelord sociopaths.

-

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Darkman Fanpage posted:

it wasnt a leftist thay shot another leftist it was some alt-right dweeb. gently caress off back to gip.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I hope maga cosplayers are all murdered with bladed weapons

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Wikkheiser posted:

Antifa Mindset by Mike Bakuninvich

I was told there wasnt homework in this thread

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Montasque posted:

Important note: Despite reaching millions of people the best the alt-right could muster were a couple hundred sad brains. If the left had any ability to organize resistence they would have kicked their rear end today.

then The Left needs to develop that ability like ASAP.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

All of this kvetching about black bloc failing to protect Berkeley from the presence of proud boys is stupid as Hell.

Democrats spent the day demanding to see Trump's tax returns while the WH and media are agitating for three different wars at once. It's not the left that's doomed, lmao.

If you can't deal with losing once then just quit already. Political struggle involves a long string of defeats, and the Left has NEVER won in the United States.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Just saw the videos. Jesus christ you americans have street brawl between antifa and guys dressed as frogs and gladiators.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Also the Nazi manlet who punched that woman is named Nathan Damigo.

https://itsgoingdown.org/nathan-damigo-exposed-identity-evropa-leader-operating-csu-stanislaus/

He's the leader of a group called Identity Evropa. loving Iberians.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mordekai posted:

Just saw the videos. Jesus christ you americans have street brawl between antifa and guys dressed as frogs and gladiators.

don't judge us

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mordekai posted:

Pretty soon there'll be furries on both sides, I reckon. Get ready for a wild ride!

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

What was the gladiators (for lack of a better term) protesting? Or doing in Berkeley?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Mordekai posted:

What was the gladiators (for lack of a better term) protesting? Or doing in Berkeley?

They were protesting "Free Speech".

But in reality they just wanted to have a LARP fight that pitted cosplay nazis and gladiators vs cosplay anarchist revolutionaries.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The biggest hurdle to getting anything done, is getting your guys to show up. People are self interested and fearful, most won't join a cause that looks like it's losing. Conversely, they're more likely to join a cause that's winning, or has a good chance of winning.

That's the value of symbolic victories. That's why they matter. Because they give that impression.

You can make whatever excuses you want, the fact that the nazis have a large media apparatus, and have just scored a legitimate victory, means that they next time this happens, there won't be 100, they'll be 300, or a 1000. Because more of their guys will be willing to show up, and less of your guys will.

They'll find something else, they'll keep looking for fights, until they a) lose, big, in a direct confrontation. b) achieve their goals (lots of death + genocide and poo poo).

From this, it's clear that antifa cannot provide effective resistance to them, they don't have the courage, strength or organization to defeat them. What other left organization can? The Communists could have, but they're not around anymore.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
IMO in a situation like this, why not let them march? The result will be them standing around with their thumbs up their butts.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Well, when people start normalising street violence, I guess its the way it goes.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
is it really so wrong to have LARP fights in the streets between cosplay nazis and cosplay anarchists?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lol

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

rudatron posted:

The biggest hurdle to getting anything done, is getting your guys to show up. People are self interested and fearful, most won't join a cause that looks like it's losing. Conversely, they're more likely to join a cause that's winning, or has a good chance of winning.

That's the value of symbolic victories. That's why they matter. Because they give that impression.

You can make whatever excuses you want, the fact that the nazis have a large media apparatus, and have just scored a legitimate victory, means that they next time this happens, there won't be 100, they'll be 300, or a 1000. Because more of their guys will be willing to show up, and less of your guys will.

They'll find something else, they'll keep looking for fights, until they a) lose, big, in a direct confrontation. b) achieve their goals (lots of death + genocide and poo poo).

From this, it's clear that antifa cannot provide effective resistance to them, they don't have the courage, strength or organization to defeat them. What other left organization can? The Communists could have, but they're not around anymore.

a girl got punched in the face and then some fatguy in an oversized sweatshirt said they were going to lay siege to seattle

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Mordekai posted:

get on our level

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

rudatron posted:

The biggest hurdle to getting anything done, is getting your guys to show up. People are self interested and fearful, most won't join a cause that looks like it's losing. Conversely, they're more likely yup join a cause that's winning, or has a good chance of winning.

To your point - the regular far-right echo chambers are in rapture over this. I could easily see more joining the Proud Boys, or groups like it, and showing up to future 'protests'.

The Proud Boys are culturally much more in line with the 4chan/Reddit "doing it for the lulz" mindset, and are not race exclusive. This means all those brown and SE Asian dudes who love Lauren Southern have a fascist gang to join.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

rudatron posted:

Holy poo poo lol. You sound like you're playing Axis & Allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Axis & Allies owns