Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
I can't seem to find it in earlier posts, but what are some places to get belts/gashats at decent prices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shout Factory has announced that Megaranger will be coming to DVD on August 15th (Carranger will be avalable on the 25th for those that didn't preorder it), they seem to be cranking these out a little quicker now, not that I'm complaining. At this rate we might get a Timeranger set out before Overtime even finishes subbing it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 13, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Shout Factory has announced that Megaranger will be coming to DVD on August 15th (Carranger was released a few weeks ago), they seem to be cranking these out a little quicker now, not that I'm complaining. At this rate we might get a Timeranger set out before Overtime even finishes subbing it.

Aren't they cranking them out quickly BECAUSE the subs exist? I thought someone found out their translations were Suspiciously Close.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Aren't they cranking them out quickly BECAUSE the subs exist? I thought someone found out their translations were Suspiciously Close.

That was a one time thing that happened with Ohranger (and I'm still not entirely sure of the specifics on that) everything else has been done in-house (from what I hear, the subs on the Carranger DVD are nothing like the ones Haroranger did for example and the ones for Zyuranger-Kakuranger definitely weren't based on any existing fansubs I'd seen). Plus, Shout has subbed stuff besides Sentai before after all.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 13, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

Shout Factory has announced that Megaranger will be coming to DVD on August 15th (Carranger was released a few weeks ago), they seem to be cranking these out a little quicker now, not that I'm complaining. At this rate we might get a Timeranger set out before Overtime even finishes subbing it.

time to go see what the amazon package is that came today!!!!

e oh its the same deal as before, preorders through them directly already came out, amazon has it the 25th. word

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 13, 2017

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Tragedienne posted:

I can't seem to find it in earlier posts, but what are some places to get belts/gashats at decent prices?

I built my Gashat Collection through Amazon. Ebay will also sometimes offer them cheaper but without packaging. Ebay is how I got the Eyecons and Energy Lockseeds that came with larger toys that I didn't want, such as Specter, Lemon Energy, Musashi, etc. Amazon sells in full packages. For the 'Core 10' games the Gashats ran me like 20 bucks each, I'm not sure on the price point of that but it's not terrible I guess.

I don't know of any special 'cheaper' stores or anything like that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Kamen Rider Poppy is rad af, and I hope she survives the story arc :ohdear:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kamen Sentai GoRider is so good you guys.

The best part is Takayuki Tsubaki playing Kuroto Dan pretending to be Kazuma Kenzaki. His actor has some serious chops.

I'm so glad that Dan got one final ride as a bad guy, and that Kaito, Yoko, and Kiriya got to go out on a high note. I didn't care much for the former two's deaths in Gaim, and I think this is a much better finale for their characters.

Also I'm pretty interested in learning about Another Agito now. I guess I'll add his show to the list.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I hope it gets subs one day.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
The actual Go-Rider part is clearly jammed in to an unrelated miniseries to make it movie relevant. But otherwise I had a good time with it, tvn subs and all.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

deadly_pudding posted:

Kamen Rider Poppy is rad af, and I hope she survives the story arc :ohdear:

She's in the opening, that has to mean something! Right! Right? :ohdear:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

More like Kamen Rider Poopy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm uncomfortable.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Clearly you didn't watch Ultraman X then

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, he likely didn't

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've never watched anything Ultraman related. Just never gotten around to it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's what I meant

You've never really said anything about Ultraman before so I doubt you've seen any of the recent ones.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

(The point here is that Taiga was in Ultraman X and he smiled a lot there. If anything, it's weird seeing him frown all the time, after watching that.)

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yikes. Welp, maybe the writer of the movie wasn't told anything about their characters. More spoilers- This all happens inside of a video game world created by a kid, so you could write it off as them just being game obstacles and not their real selves.

Except that is entirely negated by characters like Momotaros, KyoryuGold, BeetBuster, ect who all show up within the game world and retain their in-series personalities, so, no, it's just really dumb. Whether or not the game world character will act like their real self or just a mindless suit programmed to fight aimlessly until defeated is just up to chance. It really could have been an interesting movie but they keep wasting the potential these big crossovers have by focusing on stories about random new kids and cameos rather than the huge pool of interesting characters they already have to draw from.

That said, while the Kyurangers are wasted and have almost no screen time in the movie, Naga gets the most of it and even a bit of story relevance, and he is always wonderful to watch.

The game world setting means everything can be reasonably hand-waved as most games make clear distinctions between 'partner' NPCs and random enemy characters. And those enemy characters will also have differing difficulty levels. In that context, Zyuoh Tiger defeating Kamen Rider Stronger one-on-one and everything isn't as jarring as Decade one-shotting everyone. For once, the parade of mindless and uncharacteristically weak rider/sentai suits actually made sense.

I agree on your other point though and almost let out an audible groan when that kid first appeared. I think it worked well in the end (better than that Heisei vs. Showa or Let's Go at least).

Anyway, I just liked the announcer going 'Ex-Aid vs... A-MA-ZON! and... A-MA-ZON! and... A-MA-ZON!. In fact, that announcer was probably the best part of the whole film.

And I'm okay with the Kyuurangers not getting much focus overall. No need to clutter up the story and cast any more than necessary. Focusing on developing Naga was probably for the best.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm close to just jumping ship from kyuranger.
I mean, I don't have high standards for watching children's superhero show from Japan. But it has to do just a little better with the characters.
If anyone other than Lucky had been the one to pep talk Xiao, it would be one thing. But it's a repeating pattern that he's the ONLY one allowed to motivate anyone else.
And plus none of the other characters are really allowed to do anything until Lucky can help them. Like how Champ and Stinger have to work together all the time now, but Champ sort of accepts it begrudgingly because there's not enough time in the episodes for them to actually have it matter. There's a lot of things like that in the show.
I mean, Raptor's debut was the most fun I've had watching sentai since ToQger, Jark Matter's domination actually felt oppressive and it was a surprisingly good story of a robot overcoming her limited programming... but now she's basicaly the secretary again.

I ended up recently rewatching a few Gokaiger episodes the other day and I realized that the show was structured kind of similarly but they did so much of a better job writing that cast and there's so much good in that show missing from Kyuranger. Plus between Amazon and Ex-Aid, I already have an hour of actually good toku to watch per week.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Stinger and Champ haven't worked together at all outside of the introductory episode though? Like the show has been pretty clear that Champ still doesn't trust Stinger, and they've never been on a mission together. The only time they scrambled at the same time was Operation: Rescue Balance's Birthday and even then they specifically never talked to each other. It's clear that Champ is still struggling with this situation and isn't sure how to deal with it; it'd be kind of an rear end in a top hat thing to do to Balance if he refused to help save his birthday because he didn't like Stinger, but he's made clear he still isn't 100% okay with what's going on.

Champ is enough of an adult to not ruin the whole mission over his dislike of Stinger and his need to know what happened but there is clearly going to be a Champ and Stinger episode at some point where all this gets sorted out- my money is on Stinger's brother being the one who killed the doctor and Stinger just getting there late-.

Lucky was the one to motivate Xiao, and maybe it should have been Sparda, but it fits with what the character has been doing; Lucky has only ever motivated people to do things, and then mostly done nothing afterwards. The Raptor episode is a great point, where he inspires Raptor to keep fighting, then just fucks off somewhere else for the rest of the episode. He's a walking plot device and arguably isn't even really a character; he exists to give pep talks and be used as an object to foster the resolution of problems; even the leader episode didn't have him explain directly to Hammy 'no you see I work hard, that's why people trust me', it was Garu and Hammy having a fight, then the resolution is brought by Xiao who showed them what Lucky was doing. It was a leader episode where the guy implied to be the leader wasn't even part of the personality conflict, and then later on he denied being the leader anyway because 'We're all super stars'. Lucky didn't even have any lines in that scene other then I think 'hey come dance with me'. He helps people and motivates them but then seems perfectly fine backing off and letting them take the spotlight.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'll take Lucky being the only one to motivate characters over Takaharu being the only one allowed to do anything at all.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'll take Lucky being the only one to motivate characters over Takaharu being the only one allowed to do anything at all.

I agree. So long as Lucky doesn't become another Takaharu, he's just a boring member of an otherwise fun cast instead of ruining every scene he's in, which in Taka's case it was nearly every scene.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Stallion Cabana posted:

Stinger and Champ haven't worked together at all outside of the introductory episode though? Like the show has been pretty clear that Champ still doesn't trust Stinger, and they've never been on a mission together. The only time they scrambled at the same time was Operation: Rescue Balance's Birthday and even then they specifically never talked to each other. It's clear that Champ is still struggling with this situation and isn't sure how to deal with it; it'd be kind of an rear end in a top hat thing to do to Balance if he refused to help save his birthday because he didn't like Stinger, but he's made clear he still isn't 100% okay with what's going on.

Champ is enough of an adult to not ruin the whole mission over his dislike of Stinger and his need to know what happened but there is clearly going to be a Champ and Stinger episode at some point where all this gets sorted out- my money is on Stinger's brother being the one who killed the doctor and Stinger just getting there late-.

Lucky was the one to motivate Xiao, and maybe it should have been Sparda, but it fits with what the character has been doing; Lucky has only ever motivated people to do things, and then mostly done nothing afterwards. The Raptor episode is a great point, where he inspires Raptor to keep fighting, then just fucks off somewhere else for the rest of the episode. He's a walking plot device and arguably isn't even really a character; he exists to give pep talks and be used as an object to foster the resolution of problems; even the leader episode didn't have him explain directly to Hammy 'no you see I work hard, that's why people trust me', it was Garu and Hammy having a fight, then the resolution is brought by Xiao who showed them what Lucky was doing. It was a leader episode where the guy implied to be the leader wasn't even part of the personality conflict, and then later on he denied being the leader anyway because 'We're all super stars'. Lucky didn't even have any lines in that scene other then I think 'hey come dance with me'. He helps people and motivates them but then seems perfectly fine backing off and letting them take the spotlight.

Yeah Lucky isn't the only one allowed to do anything. He's not a Red lead like Takaharu or (to a lesser extent) King, it's just his position on the team is Team Motivator. He's the front line HR department. And that's fine since he's kind of plain otherwise.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh man, Kamen Sentai GoRider was so good.

I know someone mentioned after episode one that it didn't make sense that Kenzaki was saying being an Undead was "as good as being dead" and that he wished he could be alive again, and well, that all makes sense now since it wasn't Kenzaki at all! I'm also really happy with the way that they used the Battle Royale as a plot point to defeat Dan's game world.

It is a shame we didn't get a scene where Blade uses King Form and Baron uses his Overlord form (or at least Lemon Energy) but I guess that would defeat the purpose of them using the GoRider powers. Also, Kiriya and Minato would be left out I guess since they don't have super forms, plus those forms probably didn't show up for cost/time reasons I would assume.

Still, it was a great miniseries.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Really Dan should have watched the show instead of just reading the wiki page before trying to roleplay his character.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I guess if I could slightly nitpick something about the GoRider special, Kenzaki is the only Rider whose whereabouts were unknown? I mean I know he needs to keep it a secret so Hajime can't find him, but I feel like there's other Riders, especially in the Heisei series, who would be hard to find. Especially since Takumi did actually die in the Drive special. But it's just a minor thing.

Anyway, watched the Kamen Rider 1 movie today, and this is the movie in a nutshell:

Onari: "Takeru, you sure did a lot this time!"
Takeru: "I barely did anything."

I mean you seriously could remove Ghost entirely from the movie and nothing would change, aside from the fact that the Alexander Eyecon would need to be replaced with something else. But most of the movie was Takeru and Makoto completely failing at everything they attempt to do.

Overall it was a pretty decent movie, just Ghost's presence is unnecessary, which I guess is better than them actively being harmful to the movie. This movie did remind me of a couple of things that stood out to me from the series, though, that being that originally, Ghost wasn't visible when he transformed. In fact Akari had to use her gold dust sprayer during the Robin Hood episode to actually see him (later on they used the lamp though). I mean I guess we can chalk it up to things Ghost just dropped with no explanation, especially since halfway through the series, the Ganma started being completely visible to humans as well despite being invisible before. Seeing them bust out the other Rider Eyecons was strange, I guess it makes sense since Hongo talked about their comrades fighting with them so why not show that through the Rider Eyecons, but it's still a bit strange to see them used outside of the specials. And they never did explain the super buff Rider form that Ichigo has in the movie, but that's a minor nitpick too. It is a different belt he uses to transform in the movie, so it makes sense his form would be different with a new belt, I just wish they'd taken a few seconds to explain why he's using a new belt.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've just discovered that GUIS has returned from their hiatus with Episode 10 of Changeman.

EDIT: Oh, and MFC came back yesterday with Episodes 20-36 of Dynaman!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the most insane thing about the kamen rider #1 movie is the implication that Ghost and Specter fought Alexanwere the Wolf for like six hours straight because it's the dead of night when they start and broad daylight when Hongo shows up to bail them out

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah but there's a ton of fights in Rider/Sentai where it starts out at one part of the day and then suddenly shifts to the other. One of the recent episodes of Kyuranger or Ex-Aid had that happen even, because I definitely remember thinking it was weird that it was night when the fight started and then after the commercial break it was daytime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I still wish I had a Rider friend who could kick me to work so I'd never be late.

Edit: Uber except you get a Kamen Rider to kick you to your destination.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Kyuranger is certainly different (which, I guess is typical for a post anniversary series). The episode structure seems to be inverted more often, that is, the mech fight first and beating the monster second. also the 11 rangers within the first 10 episodes thing, but the characters still seem a little thin. Thinner than normal at least.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This week in Super Sentai: the child Ranger is cool, actually.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

deadly_pudding posted:

This week in Super Sentai: the child Ranger is cool, actually.

You think? I find Kotaro pretty annoying. It doesn't help that he doesn't fit with the series' own lore, we had an actual explanation of why Xiao can transform despite not being one of the Nine Ultimate Saviours, but Kotaro can because...he can. At least say "oh yeah we gave that Constellation Blaster the same technology that the Ryutsueder has".

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Really Dan should have watched the show instead of just reading the wiki page before trying to roleplay his character.

Yeah, that was great. Who expects them to bring back a classic Rider actor and have it be an impostor for 80% of the runtime? Also, destroying the VR construct world set up to simulate undead by just Kenzaki showing up and waiting a bit is great. Also, Dan is absolutely petty enough to try to kill Kenzaki and doom all life on Earth as we know it. If he could even somehow manage that, but Dan is not known for especially being rational in his decision-making.

EDIT: Also, the Kamen Rider Snipe prequel episode that just came out is pretty good at showing what Taiga used to be like and the start of what made him like he is now. Pity it's going to take forever to actually get all of it due to it being one episode per BD set. It is downright weird seeing Taiga act like a cross of Emu and Kagami's good parts before the strain of this entire mess gets to him. Also, man the reveal of what happened to his friend who tried to become Snipe first....

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 17, 2017

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Blaze Dragon posted:

You think? I find Kotaro pretty annoying. It doesn't help that he doesn't fit with the series' own lore, we had an actual explanation of why Xiao can transform despite not being one of the Nine Ultimate Saviours, but Kotaro can because...he can. At least say "oh yeah we gave that Constellation Blaster the same technology that the Ryutsueder has".

Kotaro can because he's sharing his body with Ultimate Rebellion Commander Big Bear, whose spirit was inhabiting and has a special connection to the Ursa Minor and Ursa Major constellations and Kyuutama..

It's weird but logical.

Also this episode highlights what I mentioned previously where the first thing Champ does when something goes wrong is suspect Stinger.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah Kotaro being able to transform isn't that big of a deal. It's basically the exact same thing that happened with Xiao, except with a bear ghost instead of a dragon.

At least this episode remembered that Kotaro has a little brother he's just straight up abandoned without telling him anything.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

the most insane thing about the kamen rider #1 movie is the implication that Ghost and Specter fought Alexanwere the Wolf for like six hours straight because it's the dead of night when they start and broad daylight when Hongo shows up to bail them out

Fourze fought a dude for, like, half a week straight in the Amazon special.

At the end they were both dead tired and just wanted to loving stop. It was amazing.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Twelve by Pies posted:

At least this episode remembered that Kotaro has a little brother he's just straight up abandoned without telling him anything.

To be fair I'm not entirely sure "Be kidnapped by a moody scorpion man and forced to take care of a spaceship, in space, for a couple weeks" was on Kotaro's list of things he expected to happen that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Kyuranger is really oddly disproportionate with its characters, like I don't feel like I truly know anything about the blue ranger and I got hooked with big black wrestling robot, but he hasn't had wrestling poo poo onscreen besides flashback mentions. That said, the stories are really charming and nice, with a "cool factor" oozing in every minute.

But I mostly came here to post that I just noticed that Champ uses his uniform as a little shoulder cape. :allears:

• Locked thread