Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

El Burbo posted:

Lots of little changes in geography here and there of course, but the most prominent changes i can spot are the additions of the labyrinths, the removal of whatever that circle in the Gerudo Highlands was, and putting Hyrule Castle on it's own island. Mt. Agaat seems to have been added later, but you can't climb it :iiam:

This is really making me think that something was cut from Gerudo Highlands for time and is being readded as DLC. That might be the "new map feature" that people have been wondering about.

grilldos posted:

What if ganon had a gun?

I mean, he kind of does. Too bad you can parry it.

EDIT:

You know I can actually agree with a lot of this.

But the guy starts out his video with a tweet that says "don't understand the 10/10s" which immediately makes me shut off the video and ignore him. Fixating on reviewers giving one of the best games in years a perfect score when its not literally perfect is stupid.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

grilldos posted:

What if ganon had a gun?

I would make a "Maybe it'd lead to a better final boss." snark but then I remember how Fable 2 ended and that was even less of a final boss fight than here.

Though it worked well thematically people were still pissed about being "cheated" out of a final boss fight.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
So does the classified envelope do anything?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

How does the Zelda universe have bombs and cannons but no bullet guns?

They should've figured that out by now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

comingafteryouall posted:

How does the Zelda universe have bombs and cannons but no bullet guns?

They should've figured that out by now.

They skipped bullets and went straight too laser tech.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
well whenever i play civilization i usually get cannons like 10 techs before riflemen

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean historically the use of explosives predates handheld rifles by quite a bit. This is a setting where giant robots are firing exploding lasers at people riding horses though, so history doesn't really apply here.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Sheikah made everyone else lazy, no need to go invent guns when you can just dig up a laser cannon and an Ipad.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

They skipped bullets and went straight too laser tech.

well guns would be miniaturization of cannon tech, and "giant death robots" are like the exact opposite of that, so it makes perfect sense :colbert:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Internet Kraken posted:

This is really making me think that something was cut from Gerudo Highlands for time and is being readded as DLC. That might be the "new map feature" that people have been wondering about.

It might be the pit at the backdoor of the Yiga canyon; I can't see that where it should be so it might've been moved.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Hmm, now that I think about it the bombs don't really have gun powder in this one, and neither do the cannons.

But there are the explosive barrels that shoot fire everywhere?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

comingafteryouall posted:

Hmm, now that I think about it the bombs don't really have gun powder in this one, and neither do the cannons.

But there are the explosive barrels that shoot fire everywhere?

Your rune bombs are an outlier of ~magic tech~. There's so many things laying around that are explicitly bomb-powered that either Ganon's minions just stole all the gunpowder to hoard, or Hyrule has a country-wide "Link's not allowed to have bombs anymore" ban.

e: Bomb Arrows excluded, apparently.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

El Burbo posted:

I was taking a look at the earliest version of the map you can see in the first teaser way back. A lot of it is the same, but it's neat trying to spot later additions.

(This one has the great plateau and the borders from the E3 demo overlayed on the original)

Lots of little changes in geography here and there of course, but the most prominent changes i can spot are the additions of the labyrinths, the removal of whatever that circle in the Gerudo Highlands was, and putting Hyrule Castle on it's own island. Mt. Agaat seems to have been added later, but you can't climb it :iiam:

Man looking at stuff like this reminds me of the days when people were so enthralled with Shadow of the Colossus that even long after they beat the game and poured through every file in the game, they still would do things like try and figure out where on the world map cut colossus would have been because they didn't want the ride to end.

There might be some cut geometry in BOTW somewhere totally up in the sky or far out of bounds that's really boring to look at, but because it was something cut from the game it becomes that much more interesting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The bomb arrows are presumably just bundles of gunpowder wrapped where the arrows head should be, and Link lights them on fire before firing them. Which is why they don't do a drat thing if its raining. Also why just the act of pulling them out on Death Mountain causes you to explode violently.

You have magical bombs so there really wouldn't be a point in letting you get regular ones too.

Runcible Cat posted:

It might be the pit at the backdoor of the Yiga canyon; I can't see that where it should be so it might've been moved.

Possibly. However, that pit is way bigger than the Yiga one and much more visible on the map. Though you can see the valley leading to the Yiga clan on the first map, and there doesn't seem to be anything at the end of it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

hey if it takes you two hours to recite your game crit have you heard of a little something called a blog

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 16, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Honestly all of those criticisms are pretty valid, imo, especially the ones about the combat. The fundamentals are strong, but the balance is weird and off and makes it so you either get wrecked in no time or take chip damage with very little in-between. The game switches from hard to "way too easy" fairly quickly.

But here's the thing; the game does what it does well so well that all of that other stuff falls by the wayside. Exploration, the world design, the sense of place and individuality among the game's various regions is amazing. I'd like more enemy variety, sure, but the enemies we got are so full of personality and different behaviors and responses to situations that I've had hours of fun just poking at them and seeing how they respond. I'd rather have a few Deep Enemies with lots of personality than lots of shallow enemies that are just there for variety's sake.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Motto posted:

hey if it takes you two hours to recite your game crit have you heard of a little something called a blog

in their defense they did add a link to the novella, apparently they're just so enthralled by the sound of their own voice that they had to record themselves reciting it over gameplay clips

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Norns posted:

Sorry I'm to childish to sit through something longer than a movie about something I've already invested a hundred hours of time into.

Caring about video games is childish, til

Internet Kraken posted:

You know I can actually agree with a lot of this.

But the guy starts out his video with a tweet that says "don't understand the 10/10s" which immediately makes me shut off the video and ignore him. Fixating on reviewers giving one of the best games in years a perfect score when its not literally perfect is stupid.

I don't see the basic issue of: Everyone says thing is literally perfect -> Critics reel things back, saying "Hey now, let's not ignore the flaws". It's literally the same as what Jim Sterling and Super Bunnyhop bring up in their critiques as well.

The guy likes the game, but wants to point out things he thinks are flaws.

Motto posted:

He does have a written version. Sadly, there are a bunch of people nowadays who don't like reading

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Motto posted:

here u go https://jphanderson.wordpress.com/2017/04/03/breath-of-the-wild-script/

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

in their defense they did add a link to the novella, apparently they're just so enthralled by the sound of their own voice that they had to record themselves reciting it over gameplay clips

I mean it's his job so...

CJ fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 16, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ventana posted:

He does have a written version. Sadly, there are a bunch of people nowadays who don't like reading

not reading 25,000 words about someone nitpicking a video game means I don't like reading, TIL

if it was 2 hours of someone fellating botw I wouldn't watch/read it either, hth

how about I say "they have valid points", you say "they could have communicated them in a less :spergin:/:words: manner" and we call a day

CJ posted:

I mean it's his job so...

i would hope at some point his job includes "presenting it in a manner where people actually consume it" but i could be incorrect

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ventana posted:

I don't see the basic issue of: Everyone says thing is literally perfect -> Critics reel things back, saying "Hey now, let's not ignore the flaws". It's literally the same as what Jim Sterling and Super Bunnyhop bring up in their critiques as well.

The guy likes the game, but wants to point out things he thinks are flaws.

Because 10/10 does not literally mean perfect. There is no such thing as a perfect game and never will be. So when you look at a 10/10 score and don't think "this game is exceptionally well designed and its minor flaws are overshadowed by everything else" but rather "pft this game isn't completely perfect how can you give it a 10/10??" you sound like a pedantic idiot. As if he's some enlightened intellectual that is the only one seeing these flaws while the reviewers cannot.

Its a bad way to start of the video. The fact that he doesn't understand this makes me less inclined to care about anything he has to say about video games. Certainly not enough to watch a 2 hour video about it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i would hope at some point his job includes "presenting it in a manner where people actually consume it" but i could be incorrect

His channel has 6 million views, i think he's doing ok.

Internet Kraken posted:

Because 10/10 does not literally mean perfect. There is no such thing as a perfect game and never will be. So when you look at a 10/10 score and don't think "this game is exceptionally well designed and its minor flaws are overshadowed by everything else" but rather "pft this game isn't completely perfect how can you give it a 10/10??" you sound like a pedantic idiot. As if he's some enlightened intellectual that is the only one seeing these flaws while the reviewers cannot.

Its a bad way to start of the video. The fact that he doesn't understand this makes me less inclined to care about anything he has to say about video games. Certainly not enough to watch a 2 hour video about it.

I agree and think people who say there's no such thing as a 10/10 game are idiots, but i wouldn't call the problems he has with the shrines and combat minor flaws. They're a pretty large part of the game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CJ posted:

yeah I just now looked at the rest of his channel, and apparently people are paying him $1,200 a month to do this sort of in-depth review? so more power to him I guess, but the idea that "multi-hour game reviews probably aren't most people's cups of tea" doesn't seem like that much of an out-there statement :shrug:

he's got 4 hours worth of "talking about fallout 4" to date, too, so it's probably safe to say that his style of review in general isn't one I'm going to sit through regardless of how interested I am in that game or how much I agree/disagree with him

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CJ posted:

I agree and think people who say there's no such thing as a 10/10 game are idiots, but i wouldn't call the problems he has with the shrines and combat minor flaws. They're a pretty large part of the game.

Just admit it's you man, it's ok, nothing to be ashamed of
I wish I had the wherewithal and skill to spread out the same points over and over in nearly 2 hours over an already flimsy premise of the semantics of video game reviewing

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Here I was hoping that was a cool challenge run but NOPE it was some nonsense. Valid nonsense, but nonsense nevertheless.

I started a second playthrough this week. Pro HUD, no mapping, no/minimal warping. The biggest issue with starting over is that terrible, low low stamina. I've been solely upgrading my stamina so far so I'm still at three hearts, which actually makes the game challenging again! That's very refreshing after running around as a vengeful god for so long.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh, that's cool of him. Tbh I do watch a good number of longform video reviews/critiques but I get why people are put off by having a 2hr video by someone they've never heard of dropped on their lap.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pretty much all of his combat problems boil down to "this game is too easy as you progress so the difficulty is lopsided". This is absolutely correct, but if you look at this from the standpoint or a reviewer and the average player its not a huge issue. First, reviewers don't have a huge amount of time to play a game before they put in a review usually. I imagine most of them primarily aimed for completing story content versus wandering around randomly. They won't see the lopsided difficulty as much as someone that is putting 100+ hours into the game. Also, the average player isn't going into Zelda looking for a challenge. Zelda games have never had difficult combat, with the possible exception of Skyward Sword. So to most people, the game being easy isn't a concern. So long as it remains fun they will still be enjoying it.

Shrines are a place where the quality issues are spread out. You have to keep in mind that most people don't 100% the game. So they aren't gonna see as many of the flaws in Shrines simply because they haven't done as many of them. This doesn't excuse those problems but again, you should be keeping this in mind when you decide to lead your video with "don't understand the 10/10 scores".

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Wanted to respond to some of these here, or add on some minor points I feel are worth bringing up that got glossed over.

-For combat, he describes it with an emphasis on "you become so strong that it takes out the fun, and to find the fun you have to self-impose restrictions". Personally, I'd argue against that in 2 points, 1. Pretty much the entire game is setup in a structure like this already, so it at least fits into context. 2. A lot of games that have good combat systems end up being cases similar to this, where it's treated like a "playground" of sorts. A game having plenty of strong/powerful options isn't bad itself. The proper balancing complaint would be that there isn't enough at the top level of the spectrum, which is something that very well might be fixed with the eventual Hard Mode dlc.

-He brings up that divine beasts are small, and share too many of the same features (in terms of visual design, progression of finding maps/terminals, and story background things, not in terms of specific mechanics/puzzles). This is pretty fair imo

-Here's a quote that stands out to sorta explain some of his perspective that I agre with:

quote:

"I play Zelda games for the dungeons and the bosses. That’s the thing I look forward to the most. I will never forget how awesome some of the bosses looked in A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time when I first saw them. Just like the overlapping level design and challenge in navigating those dungeons was what made me fall in love with the series to begin with. And this just isn’t in Breath of the Wild. Imagine how much more rewarding exploration could have been if there were dungeons to find in the world. The mazes you can discover hint at the potential here. They’re unfortunately too simple but the idea is still present. You can feel it when you arrive. All this mystery and intrigue… imagine if it gave way to a huge dungeon."

-He argues that it's intended to do a majority of shrines/korok seeds (comparing 80/120 shrines to 70/120 stars in SM64) without much to back it up. I can't speak for everyone obv, but judging from the posts here I don't really think that's the case.

-He says, "Breath of the Wild also has an added security net that if you’re at full health you can’t be killed in one hit." My many deaths from a 3-heart run being 1-shotted by pretty much everything would beg to differ.

-He complains about a certain attack from Thunderblight being one that he never has seen anyone get a Flurry rush on. That attack actually has several flurry rush points in it, and I got it a good number of times when I was learning the fight. I was surprised he didn't bring up the shield bash move from Thunderblight (which I currently don't have any idea on how to dodge/interrupt, other than outright destroying the shield beforehand).

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean, he says it right in the first paragraph (I guess minute of the video? idk I didn't watch it)

quote:

Breath of the Wild is one of the best games I have ever played. If you follow me on Twitter then you might be surprised that the video is opening with that line, because I’ve spent most of my tweets bemoaning how many reviewers overlooked the game’s flaws. And the game really does have those flaws—not just nitpicks, although I have plenty of those too—but huge, critical problems that I do not understand how so many reviewers managed to ignore.

He wants to point out that the game has critical flaws. That sounds to me that he isn't talking about minor flaws as you said, but rather large ones that could potentially otherwise lower a games reviewed score. There are certainly many cases in past video games where lots of reviewers ignore or don't properly weigh in on flaws in whatever exciting new big video game is coming out.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Ventana posted:

When I think clickbait, I think 2 hour long video critiques

He's apparently spent ~150 hours on it. How long is "barely playing it" nowadays?

I meant in his tweets.

EDIT: goddammit why is it so hard to make a hot dish? I just cooked three peppers and it isn't even spicy.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Unmature posted:

EDIT: goddammit why is it so hard to make a hot dish? I just cooked three peppers and it isn't even spicy.

1. Some mats can only provide 1 level of buff regardless of how many you cook.

2. If you mix 2 foods that provide 2 different buffs, the end food will provide no buff.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Motto posted:

Oh, that's cool of him. Tbh I do watch a good number of longform video reviews/critiques but I get why people are put off by having a 2hr video by someone they've never heard of dropped on their lap.

I usually listen to them while doing other stuff so it's a lot more convenient than reading a blog. He also is good about showing relevant video clips to back up what he's saying compared to just making baseless assertions.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

As far as I know only the blights and Ganon himself have attacks that never kill you unless you're down to a half heart. Granted, fiery attacks can still wreck you pretty hard due to the bonus damage. Frankly, I think second wind mechanics are awesome, so I don't entirely mind that, though if you have lots of healing items, that does mean the game can be made really easy.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I can emphatically say from doing 3-hearts-low-armor stuff that "nothing can oneshot you from full health" is explicitly incorrect

I don't know if it's tied to "only certain really hard-hitting attacks have that" but only getting knocked down to a quarter heart is not guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm pretty sure there is a mechanic where if you're at full health and get hit by an attack that can OHKO you, it won't. This doesn't always happen though; like other people here I'm doing a challenge run and there are definitely plenty of times I've been squashed in a single hit. This stuff seems to be consistent too. At the start of my run a red Hinox stepping on me took me down to a quarter heart. Later in the run, a black Hinox stepping on me killed me every single time.

My guess would be that if an attack can kill you from full health, the game will check your defense against the power of the attack. And if it turns out if your defense would of kept you from being OHKO'd if it was just slightly higher, the game cuts you a break and lets you live with a quarter heart. Its a grace mechanic that lets you challenge stuff above your weight level, but its not gonna work if you fight something way stronger than your defenses.

You'd think the guy making a 2 hour video about Zelda would have tested this stuff.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Unmature posted:

Here's a Google with what looks like the actual mechanics:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PmZ_H8dAQnWS1rG8H-yWlfRVjBYjdx4Uj5WcD_bkJzA/htmlview

Peppers have a potency of 5 each. The potency threshold is 30 for mid level and 45 for high level.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bar Crow posted:

Here's a Google with what looks like the actual mechanics:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PmZ_H8dAQnWS1rG8H-yWlfRVjBYjdx4Uj5WcD_bkJzA/htmlview

Peppers have a potency of 5 each. The potency threshold is 30 for mid level and 45 for high level.

Wow, I've got some poo poo to try now. :getin:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

andipossess posted:

As far as I know only the blights and Ganon himself have attacks that never kill you unless you're down to a half heart. Granted, fiery attacks can still wreck you pretty hard due to the bonus damage. Frankly, I think second wind mechanics are awesome, so I don't entirely mind that, though if you have lots of healing items, that does mean the game can be made really easy.

Weird, I guess this isn't the case if you use Mipha's Grace/bonus hearts? I definitely felt like I died to one shots from those cases, not 100% confident but pretty sure.

Is it specific to 3-hearts, and maybe isn't the case for 4+ hearts? I might look into later if I get a break from working.

In any case, if it was specific to 3-hearts or w/e, I don't think this in-of-itself is bad. Getting 1 shot in any game is never fun unless that is the intentional challenge. Putting in an ability like that is fine I think, though it starts to get into problems with healing from pause menu (which is already something we know about).

Internet Kraken posted:

You'd think the guy making a 2 hour video about Zelda would have tested this stuff.

What's weird is that, for a lot of the other cases he brings up in his arguments (and he obv brought up a lot of stuff), he actualyl did research on his own + looked at other playthroughs. This point though he slipped on, don't get how since it takes like 5 min to verify.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Man looking at stuff like this reminds me of the days when people were so enthralled with Shadow of the Colossus that even long after they beat the game and poured through every file in the game, they still would do things like try and figure out where on the world map cut colossus would have been because they didn't want the ride to end.

There might be some cut geometry in BOTW somewhere totally up in the sky or far out of bounds that's really boring to look at, but because it was something cut from the game it becomes that much more interesting.

Yeah, I love poo poo like that.

Half the fun of Shadow of the Colossus for me was getting the demo from a magazine and finding out that they didn't correctly block all the ways leading out of the demo area, so you could sneak around invisible walls to a point where the game would freeze, but you could still see a bunch of poo poo that you weren't supposed to.

And then being able to find the small bit of land from GTA3 in San Andreas (or the notion that the indoor areas where just super high above the map, so if you could get the jetpack to fly over the flight limit you could just find gyms in the sky and poo poo).

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I'm not going to waste 2 hours watching some review! Let me spend 2 hours telling you why.

Anyway I've finally finished everything except for maybe a dozen pictures and a few hundred Korok seeds. Is this about the time most people start a new file? Are there any creative gimmicks you guys have found entertaining for new saves like spears only or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ventana posted:

Weird, I guess this isn't the case if you use Mipha's Grace/bonus hearts? I definitely felt like I died to one shots from those cases, not 100% confident but pretty sure.

Is it specific to 3-hearts, and maybe isn't the case for 4+ hearts? I might look into later if I get a break from working.

In any case, if it was specific to 3-hearts or w/e, I don't think this in-of-itself is bad. Getting 1 shot in any game is never fun unless that is the intentional challenge. Putting in an ability like that is fine I think, though it starts to get into problems with healing from pause menu (which is already something we know about).

Its not specific to 3 hearts, I'm still getting heart containers in my challenge run but because I'm not wearing anything (aside from the goron helm) I still get OHKO'd by a lot of high level enemies.

I think this mechanic only works if you don't have any revives or bonus hearts, because those are another way to let you fight stronger enemies with more ease. Basically the game only gives you this grace mechanic if you're punching above your weight with nothing to keep you from getting squashed. Which I'd argue is actually good design since it lets you challenge yourself more often, but it doesn't work for literally everything to keep it from breaking the game. So you can't stroll into Hyrule Castle and catch lasers with your face at 3 hearts.