Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Understandable, although I'd be more irritated at whoever looked at "tilt control marble game" and described it as "pinball" :psyduck:

It'd be like someone looking an rpg with turn-based combat and describing it as "3rd person hack and slash" or something

Oh yeah, it's hardly the devs fault. As is while I used to love "rogue-likes", there's just so many of them these days. At least it's trying something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

lmao

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah that's kind of the big thing. hearing game audio is important, especially in a shooter.

:shrug:

I used a headset with Splatoon a number of times both for playing with friends and also just rando phone calls and i had no problem at all hearing the game audio.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Spacebump posted:

I still can't believe voice chat is restricted to a phone app.

Legit don't give a flying gently caress about hearing some 8 year old 'trashtalking' when I just want to play some Mario Karts

Glad it's relegated to an app so it's an opt-in sorta thing

Rather it be kept to Rocket League levels of trolling.

WOW!
What a save!
What a save!
What a save!
WOW!
*Chat disabled for 5 seconds*

Vs

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Am I correct in assuming that these Switch headsets I've been seeing in stores around here are just scams that do nothing and will continue to do nothing once all of the online stuff is up?

https://www.amazon.com/Afterglow-LVL-Chat-Communicator-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01MUANWOL/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Legit don't give a flying gently caress about hearing some 8 year old 'trashtalking' when I just want to play some Mario Karts

WOW!
What a save!
What a save!
What a save!
WOW!

Vs

if they put a party system in mk or spaltoon i will never play pubbies and i will always use voice so ymmv

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

But for realsies Nintendo has always been a family orientated company, and noone wants to hear Joe I-hosed-your-mum-last-night 8-Year-Old spewing nonsense.

Opt-in audio is fine for your mates

Having is as a phone app is not ideal, BUT you can appreciate the principle behind it in having a portable game console.
You'll always have your phone with you in portable mode.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Infinitum posted:

pretty sure in general it'll be an opt-in party system. there's no way nintendo will allow voice chat between strangers, and i don't want that either.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
It will be cool if you can connect with Switch people through the app on the go. Basically make it Discord that syncs up with my Switch.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Am I correct in assuming that these Switch headsets I've been seeing in stores around here are just scams that do nothing and will continue to do nothing once all of the online stuff is up?

https://www.amazon.com/Afterglow-LVL-Chat-Communicator-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01MUANWOL/

there are no games with voice chat yet so there's no way to know if the mic even does anything, but my guess is probably not if the voice chat is going to be relegated to a phone app

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cardboard Box posted:

there are no games with voice chat yet so there's no way to know if the mic even does anything, but my guess is probably not if the voice chat is going to be relegated to a phone app

Phones can use headset/earbud mics just fine though? :confused:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i mean, yeah, you can plug the headset into your phone, but there's no point in a switch-specific branded one in that scenario

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Infinitum posted:

WOW!
What a save!
What a save!
What a save!
WOW!

Vs

It's a basic feature on every other console's online service. Most games have it so you have to opt in to hear randoms in the menus. (if you can hear them at all.) Having party chat is a great option if you have a bunch of friends that also have the console. Your idea of console voice chat is where it was at during the OG Xbox live era. Not all decisions by Nintendo are good ones.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Infinitum posted:

But for realsies Nintendo has always been a family orientated company, and noone wants to hear Joe I-hosed-your-mum-last-night 8-Year-Old spewing nonsense.

Opt-in audio is fine for your mates

Having is as a phone app is not ideal, BUT you can appreciate the principle behind it in having a portable game console.
You'll always have your phone with you in portable mode.

I don't see how it being portable makes using a phone for voice chat make more sense. It would be entirely more convenient to just plug headphones into the switch. Especially because to hear the in game sounds you'd have to turn up the volume on the switch and annoy everyone around you.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, I have a pair of Hyper CloudX headphones and they plug into the front of my PC for voice chat and if I want to go to PS4/Xbone/Vita/whatever I just plug the ends into the splitter and plug them into my controller and boom I'm there.

Spacebump posted:

It's a basic feature on every other console's online service. Most games have it so you have to opt in to hear randoms in the menus. (if you can hear them at all.) Having party chat is a great option if you have a bunch of friends that also have the console. Your idea of console voice chat is where it was at during the OG Xbox live era. Not all decisions by Nintendo are good ones.

Absolutely. I can count on one hand the number of times I have actually heard live open-mics in modern online games, and all of them featured voice filter/universal mute options so I could just instantly shut it off if I felt the need to. It's like some people still think it's the dawn of XBL when in 2017 everyone just uses Party Chat because it has a higher sound quality and works across games so I could be talking to some friends playing a game while I'm playing a different one.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
If anyone in Long Beach, CA or Lakewood area wants a Switch, I'm looking at 4 in the case right now. Sadly I don't have the need for one right now, but I had no idea I'd walk in and see them stocked.

Edit: Walmart on Carson at Paramount.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Policenaut posted:

It's like some people still think it's the dawn of XBL

It kinda makes sense for people to defend the decisions of a company that is still years behind the competition in terms of online features and functionality if their own perception of what online gaming is like is also stuck in the past/some youtube video they saw.

I basically never hear anyone on PS4 online games as is, and the very few times anyone got obnoxious in Titanfall 2 it was a simple matter to mute them.

It's okay to admit to being unwilling to listen to other people while playing a videogame, but pretending that limiting basic functionality of a console is a good thing because other people are jerks on the internet is pretty ridiculous. This could be done with something as simple as a console-level/account level option to mute all voice chat unless it's from a friend, which doesn't limit functionality and lets some goons maintain their anti-social bubble without fear of those 8 year olds talking poo poo while they take Splatoon and Mario Kart more seriously than the target audience.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

So I never hear randoms online as it is setup these days and if I'm talking to people I know we already have a voice system plainly. I care about whatever Nintendo does on this front why?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I can agree that it would be A Good Thing for Nintendo to get up to snuff with TYOOL 2017 online account/chat standards, but when it comes to chat they never will.

I mean they pulled half the not-in-game chat stuff from the 3DS because people were drawing dicks. They let Binding of Isaac onto the system, but I have a suspicion that any 1st party Rated-E game on a Nintendo system will never have in-game live chat functionality because they can't moderate it sufficiently.

All that having said, I've not used in-game voice chat that wasn't Discord for...as long as Discord has been a thing, really, so my dog in this race is nonexistent.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Hammer Bro. posted:

Of all the pre-release rumors of defects, this was the only one that potentially concerns me. My TV is barely 720p to begin with (it may be slightly less), and I know HDMI can communicate resolutions across the cable. If the always-upscales-when-docked, regardless of target system resolution, thing is a function of the hardware and not something they eventually patch in software, I'm gonna be slightly disappointed in Nintendo.

From a couple pages back, but what the render resolution is is probably handled by individual games, and there's no hardware thing that would force a game to render at a specific resolution.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why do people want to talk to pubs? If I'm playing with friends, I load up in a voice chat with them. If I'm playing with pubbies, I don't want to talk to them. if I'm playing a game where I need to work with other people, I'd rather do so with quick chat text or I'll just play with friends.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Cojawfee posted:

Why do people want to talk to pubs? If I'm playing with friends, I load up in a voice chat with them. If I'm playing with pubbies, I don't want to talk to them. if I'm playing a game where I need to work with other people, I'd rather do so with quick chat text or I'll just play with friends.

I want to talk to my friends while I play video games with them. On PC it's no problem to use Discord because I can adjust the sound of everything and it's all piped through my headphones. I want to be able to hear the game and my friends at the same time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
But your friends are right next to you at the rooftop party...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah like the other guy said it would be way better to just do it through your console without also having to use your phone. This false dichotomy of "forced into voicechat with strangers against your will" vs "phone app" is dumb.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Stan Taylor posted:

I want to talk to my friends while I play video games with them. On PC it's no problem to use Discord because I can adjust the sound of everything and it's all piped through my headphones. I want to be able to hear the game and my friends at the same time.

Most computers have a line-in audio port that can be used to play anything incoming out through whatever the normal output is. Windows will let you do it from the audio settings, Mac requires an external program. If you're using the Switch dock, most TVs have a headphones-out port that can be used if you don't want to have extra wires plugged into the Switch.

Which is not to say "there, problem solved, stop complaining about it", but it's a workaround that's useful for a lot of other situations as well :eng101:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
People really don't know how online chatting can work and think a phone app requirement for game chat makes any kind of sense?

e: "You need third-party hardware to chat with your friends in this game" - a great idea apparently???

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zanzibar Ham posted:

People really don't know how online chatting can work and think a phone app requirement for game chat makes any kind of sense?

e: "You need third-party hardware to chat with your friends in this game" - a great idea apparently???

*imagines a nightmare future where 8 year olds force me to turn on voice chat and then bully me*

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I'm remarkably antisocial in video games. I don't want to talk to you. I don't want to hear you talk. Interacting with gamers online typically just irritates me.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TerraGoetia posted:

I'm remarkably antisocial in video games. I don't want to talk to you. I don't want to hear you talk. Interacting with gamers online typically just irritates me.

Ok then don't do it man, your phone and computer and other consoles are capable of voice chat and you seem to be doing great.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I hate game voice-acting/music/whatever, please require everybody to get a phone app to listen to those things in the game thanks in advance.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
*nintendo shits in my eye*

This is actually good for the immune system in the long run, good thinking

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's a terrible idea only Nintendo would come up with, but the stupidity of it will discourage idiots from putting in the extra effort to be shits online so whatever.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mega64 posted:

It's a terrible idea only Nintendo would come up with, but the stupidity of it will discourage idiots from putting in the extra effort to be shits online so whatever.

"Gamers are a vile bunch and not to be trusted with voice chat, but gamers demand voice chat! What do we do?"

Nintendo R&D Department:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQk_832EAx4

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
It's funny because separating game chat to a secondary piece of external hardware does nothing to solve any of the things anyone one in here has complained about but it does inconvenience the people who want to use it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bass Bottles posted:

It's funny because separating game chat to a secondary piece of external hardware does nothing to solve any of the things anyone one in here has complained about but it does inconvenience the people who want to use it.

I appreciate the solution for how utterly baffling it is. Nintendo has gotten being rear end-backwards about online down to a science at this point.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
It really feels like a system designed by people who have never played online, but thought they could come up with something better.

Like, "everyone has a smartphone these days, just use that" is the kind of "forward-thinking" you get from an uncle who watched his nephew play call of duty at Thanksgiving for ten minutes.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Maybe it came down to a price/cost thing?
Each unit now needs mic hardware to run it, plus gotta code that poo poo into every unit?
No idea.

I'm not trying to stand up for Nintendo or anything, because it's a weird as gently caress work-around, just trying to understand the decision behind it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nintendo have always been behind the 8-ball when it comes to online

~Friend Codes~

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I don't see why they wouldn't make voice chat off by default and make it so you have to enter the parental controls on your account to enable speech/listen. it's probably the best compromise between "I don't want that / I don't want my kids on that" and "I want to talk to people and be social and coordinate."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they're planning on making NintenPhones™

• Locked thread