Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You know, considering what happens in 8, what if Deckard actually did the same thing in 7...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Killing Han is the worst but not the only thing to gloss over. He blew up Dom's house and almost took out Brian and his family in doing so. Unless they say he was under some kind of mind control there's no getting around what he did.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Dom doesn't care about what someone did. He cares about the current situation.

Dom respects that Deckard cares about his Brother. And also cares about the fact Deckard saved his son when he literally had no reason to do so as Dom had already showed him where his brother was and his brother was free.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Lobok posted:

Killing Han is the worst but not the only thing to gloss over. He blew up Dom's house and almost took out Brian and his family in doing so. Unless they say he was under some kind of mind control there's no getting around what he did.

Wasn't the rooftop scene when Deckard drops the baby off, which is why he's there in the first place? He did kill Han, and did bomb the Torettos, but was a professional about it, and was acting for the exact same reasons that the F&F crew go full rampage. Going after the crew that almost killed your little brother (even if he's a fuckup rear end in a top hat who doesn't care about his family) is something that I can see Dom understanding. Given what Deckard did for him (he could've killed Cipher if he didn't save the baby), I see the crew being more receptive to him - even after the poo poo he put them through.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was responding to the poster above me who suggested there may be a fakeout involved. But there's not going to be a new plot point that absolves Deckard's actions. You either agree with Dom's decision or not.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Re: killing people I was slightly surprised when they all started mowing down the completely uninvolved soldiers at the ice base but then I remembered they had the line about them being "separatists" so I guess that means they were bad dudes and ok to kill

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
"When you find the guy that killed Han what are you going to do?"

"Words ain't even been invented yet"

Smash cut to Shaw replacing Han at their backyard barbecues.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ravel posted:

"When you find the guy that killed Han what are you going to do?"

"Words ain't even been invented yet"

Smash cut to Shaw replacing Han at their backyard barbecues.

Might give the dude who literally saves your son a pass

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Dexo posted:

Might give the dude who literally saves your son a pass

Yeah maybe to not kill him. But smiling and joking around like bros? Not so much

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I liked the creative overlay of the location names but they blew it when it came to Undisclosed Location

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah maybe to not kill him. But smiling and joking around like bros? Not so much

I just feel like the "family" we see at the end feels way more contrived than in previous films. Letty, of course. The Rock, sure. But Tej and Roman always felt more like Brian's guys. I don't know why Ramsay stuck around, and also she can't drive, and Tej already has godlike hacking skills. Mr. Nobody is just their mission-giver. Fake Brian isn't even a full character. And then yeah, that guy

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
We're going to find out in 9 that it was a misunderstanding and Deckard actually had to make it look like he killed Ham so Han could go undercover for a super secret mission...with Gisele who for some reason now has Womder a Woman's powers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mandrel posted:

I mean, it very well might be as it regards to whatever made him enemy of the state prior to FF7. But he did definitely murder Han. So

By Tokyo Drift canon, Han died on his own, by accident.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Tunicate posted:

By Tokyo Drift canon, Han died on his own, by accident.

What's your point? That was retconned and indeed used as the very introduction of Statham. We see it happen.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Idk why y'all are arguing for losing Jason Stratham, seems to me they did about as good a writing job as they could have to forgive his killing Han.

I liked it a lot, not my fav, but still great. I love that the series continuity continues to matter way more than it has any right to.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why the gently caress have we not made a new thread for 8....

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

superh posted:

Idk why y'all are arguing for losing Jason Stratham, seems to me they did about as good a writing job as they could have to forgive his killing Han.

I liked it a lot, not my fav, but still great. I love that the series continuity continues to matter way more than it has any right to.

They don't have to lose him but i'd prefer if in the next one he's more of a reluctant accomplice rather than a family barbecue attending family team member

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope both Shaws and Han are in the next one as is Helen Mirren

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Some people compare this series to Saints Row. So I offer this idea:

Han Outta Hell

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Jason Statham being accepted as family despite killing Han and trying to kill Brian and Dom's sister and nephew makes perfect sense when you understand the ideology of Family.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Who cares about continuity the whole series has been about "gently caress it just do something awesome gently caress if it makes sense"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

KaptainKrunk posted:

Jason Statham being accepted as family despite killing Han and trying to kill Brian and Dom's sister and nephew makes perfect sense when you understand the ideology of Family.

It perfectly encapsulates how selfish and warped Dom is, yes.

Seriously he is a hosed human and should probably be in a secure facility for the rest of his days. Most movies would take his exact actions and motivations and have him be the villain. The heroes might understand and sympathise with him in the end, but he'll either be too far gone to save or will have to pay his many debts to society.

Why have they not taken Statham straight back to prison for that matter?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Why have they not taken Statham straight back to prison for that matter?

He's more useful to the Deep State outside prison

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

KaptainKrunk posted:

Because if Han's death is like every other "death" in the series, he's not really dead, just in some unkown lockup somwhere to be broken out of sometime in the next couple of movies

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Or maybe we'll get to meet Han's twin brother, Vaan...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w9DUTcAI0o

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 16, 2017

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Han is alive but hosed up. Cypher fixes him up and is like "yo they're bbqing with the guy who did this to you now." Then Han is upset because he thinks DK has taken his place and is now angry at the family and the next villain. Cypher doesn't bother to clarify it's not DK so he gets confused when he sees Statham.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

KaptainKrunk posted:

"Let he who is without VIN cast the first stone." - The book of Dom "Racing Jesus" Toretto

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Like, I get what you're all saying, but the family are literally career criminals.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Not the biggest fan of the Saints Row comparison, but it's kind of funny that family still has Two Hackers.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A long time ago Tej was just a humble mechanic

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

KaptainKrunk posted:

Yeah, he basically lays it all out at the beginning with that Cuban loan shark or whatever.

Plus, it doesn't really matter. The Fast & Furious series is like a comic book or a soap opera. Heroes turn villain and vice versa.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hey why are you taking my cousin's car
He didn't pay back the loan
You can't take this car away from him I'm going to tear this car apart and trash it in an effort to race you and then launch it into the ocean

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I mean, it was pretty obvious Dom's gonna give his cousin his own car but it's still really funny how much he trashes it for the race.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It would've been a way better setup for what a lovely human he is later in the film if he destroys the car, wins the race and completely forgets that his cousin was ever involved.

I suppose his cousin is fambly so they could've had the guy be a random acquaintance.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Saw Fate yesterday. I liked it, not my fav of the series, but definitely good.

Ending spoilers: I had a feeling he was going to name the baby Brian but it rubbed me the wrong way since they go out of their way to remind you that Brian is still alive and out of the game so to speak. "Brian would know what to do. We promised we wouldn't involve them"

It would have been a way bigger nod to fans if he named the baby Vince.

During that scene I was looking at the table and thinking back to the first F&F when Vince shows up at the cookout ("I gotta eat") The scene was perfectly set for it. (and I mean Vince named his son after Dom!).

It was sort a disjointed nod to the audience I guess, but I think a better nod to the viewers, would have been to just name the baby Paul. That would have been a big nod to the audience, but holds no weight in-universe for the characters which would have been fine. Just my two cents. I can't believe I put much thought into this...

Other than that, I thought it was great fun. The Airplane joke calling back to number 6 was funny as hell. The Don and Tego cameo was great even though it was spoiled by the credits!

And the Statham Airplane/baby scene was probably my favorite. Reminded me I need to go back and re-watch the Crank/Transporter movies, etc.

Don't know if those spoilers were necessary, but going in not knowing that stuff was pretty great for me, so I didn't want to ruin them for anyone else!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The baby/plane scene was basically a light hearted redo of the shoot-out in Face-Off

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Honestly at this point I think Vin Diesel character is kind of played out/story is basically done in the Fast & Furious franchise, especially without Paul Walker providing a nice counter-balance. Would love the franchise to move more towards a Rock/Jason Statham pairing for future movies but Vin Diesel probably isn't gonna let his franchise go until he is dead in the ground.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

BexGu posted:

Honestly at this point I think Vin Diesel character is kind of played out/story is basically done in the Fast & Furious franchise, especially without Paul Walker providing a nice counter-balance. Would love the franchise to move more towards a Rock/Jason Statham pairing for future movies but Vin Diesel probably isn't gonna let his franchise go until he is dead in the ground.

Can't really blame him, dude's career was half buried and he brought it back to the point that he's raking in 30+ million every 2 years or so. I really thought Babylon AD was his last shot, and I kinda rolled my eyes and laughed at his desperation when he returned for Fast and Furious. I was very wrong.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

if vin diesel really wanted to he probably could just find another superhero franchise to be in. He's just very passionate about his car movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I imagine that the second xXx movie and The Last Witch Hunter didn't do that well, so outside of F&F and maybe another Riddick movie he's not got much left.

Edit: Maybe a surprise sequel to Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk? :v:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 17, 2017

• Locked thread