Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Corrode posted:

Possibly the worst is the Reikland Runefang one (which I may be the only person ever to have completed) which asks you to send a dude to Nordland, then get a Helstorm in Franz's army, then send another guy to Salzenmund which is where you have literally just sent someone. All this for Franz's B-tier sword which you'll replace with Ghal Maraz sooner or later. Even putting those aside, almost all of the quest content is pretty uninteresting - the only cool parts are the battles themselves.

A better implementation isn't leaping out at me - probably more battles in the chain and reduce or remove the "send guy here" busywork.

How on earth do you think this is the most annoying quest in the game?
Nordland is like; right there only separated from Reikland by Middenheim. You can even recruit the regiment of renown hellfires if for whatever reason you didnt build an artillery building. Its straight up one of the least effort intensive and easy to get quest items in the game.

Ghal Maraz; greenskins are either entirely wiped out or stuck in the badlands and I've never had Karl Franz fight more than 4 greenskin armies in an entire campaign so I dont even know what the next step of the quest is.

Chaos has to send their agents all the way back to where they spawned in the NE corner of the map for just about every quest so either keep a sorcerer there permanently or send an agent every 20 turns to make the 10 turn trip there and back to your army.

Gelt's quest has him sending a battle wizard to the south tip of Estalia and back and has to march down there own top of that unless you shell out the TP gold.

Seriously dude like every single quest in the game nearly is harder to complete than the Reikland Runefang one which I complete by accident in any empire game that goes past 45 turns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Panfilo posted:

I don't know why they don't have it fire some big fuckoff Lazer beam instead of a jizz blob that will get stuffed up on the sparsest of tree boughs. It would make up for a low fire rate and low ammo.

Part of the issue is that total war artillery, since the beginning of the loving series, targets the edges of units. But I've had luminarks net triple digit kill counts by firing into scrums, its splash damage is pretty legit

It also looks badass as gently caress when the laser explodes in the middle of a huge group of units, sending dudes flying

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

skubtastic posters: what are the winds of magic rules on tabletop?

I kinda get why WoM is there, but I think increasing the magic pool/making it infinite BUT increasing cooldowns would be a nice way to make magic better in gameplay (just my impression though)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

dead comedy forums posted:

skubtastic posters: what are the winds of magic rules on tabletop?

I kinda get why WoM is there, but I think increasing the magic pool/making it infinite BUT increasing cooldowns would be a nice way to make magic better in gameplay (just my impression though)

In the most recent version you rolled every turn to see how many power dice you got, and then your opponent got half that many dispel dice. It'd be between two and twelve, You could use a number of power dice tied to the skill of your wizard per cast to try and beat the target number for casting a spell, with double sixes causing an overcast. Your opponent could negate a non-overcasted spell by beating your roll with his own dispel roll. Better wizards got bonuses to casting/dispelling. Which is missing in total warhams imo, the wizard lords should be better at casting than the hero versions.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

420 Gank Mid posted:

How on earth do you think this is the most annoying quest in the game?
Nordland is like; right there only separated from Reikland by Middenheim. You can even recruit the regiment of renown hellfires if for whatever reason you didnt build an artillery building. Its straight up one of the least effort intensive and easy to get quest items in the game.

Ghal Maraz; greenskins are either entirely wiped out or stuck in the badlands and I've never had Karl Franz fight more than 4 greenskin armies in an entire campaign so I dont even know what the next step of the quest is.

Chaos has to send their agents all the way back to where they spawned in the NE corner of the map for just about every quest so either keep a sorcerer there permanently or send an agent every 20 turns to make the 10 turn trip there and back to your army.

Gelt's quest has him sending a battle wizard to the south tip of Estalia and back and has to march down there own top of that unless you shell out the TP gold.

Seriously dude like every single quest in the game nearly is harder to complete than the Reikland Runefang one which I complete by accident in any empire game that goes past 45 turns

Yo I'm aware of all of these, the fact you can complete it by accident is what I'm talking about. The steps are:

Step A: send dude here
Step B: recruit a thing
Step C: send dude back to the same place he just was

Once you move the agent up north you can trip and fall and complete it, and it's not even unlikely to happen now the RoR exists and is recruitable at or shortly after the quest unlocks. I'm criticising the design - 3 steps which are basically just one 1 step - not the difficulty. The post you were quoting is literally a critique of the things you talk about being harder, were you too busy mashing POST to read it?

E: I guess you were responding to the 'I'm the only person to have completed' bit? I wasn't trying to imply it was difficult, just that a while ago people were like 'it would be nice to ever have a reason to bother with it when ghal maraz is a straight upgrade.'

Living Image fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 15, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
For quests, what I'd like to see changed:

All instances of agents having to deploy in a far-away province removed, it essentially means once you spent all the time and money recruiting the agent you got to wait another 10ish turns for them to get over there and then another 10 for them to get back and start being useful.

Keep the stuff like Pay a necromancer for a creepy book, multiple choice if your going to fight the enemy is region A or region B, having captured or allied with a nearby territory.

With most of the agent steps removed, just let the player get straight to the fun battles, just put up some text before the battle of [EASY] [MEDIUM] [HARD] to give the player a sense of what their army should be prepared for since the power graph lies pretty hard on quest battles.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Do any mods tweak quests?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

At least let me disband and rehire them the same way you can with lords so I don't have to deal with moving them or watching them automove at the end of my turn.

You can do this, in a back-asswards way. Make the hero join an army and then you can disband it.

v: good to know.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 16, 2017

pomery
Oct 19, 2016

Grand Prize Winner posted:

You can do this, in a back-asswards way. Make the hero join an army and then you can disband it.

You can disband agents when their not embedded, dunno if you can rehire them later though

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

ShineDog posted:

Do any mods tweak quests?

There is a mod that skips everything and goes right to the battle.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Corrode posted:

Yo I'm aware of all of these, the fact you can complete it by accident is what I'm talking about. The steps are:

Step A: send dude here
Step B: recruit a thing
Step C: send dude back to the same place he just was

Once you move the agent up north you can trip and fall and complete it, and it's not even unlikely to happen now the RoR exists and is recruitable at or shortly after the quest unlocks. I'm criticising the design - 3 steps which are basically just one 1 step - not the difficulty. The post you were quoting is literally a critique of the things you talk about being harder, were you too busy mashing POST to read it?

E: I guess you were responding to the 'I'm the only person to have completed' bit? I wasn't trying to imply it was difficult, just that a while ago people were like 'it would be nice to ever have a reason to bother with it when ghal maraz is a straight upgrade.'

Yes I guess I misread your post because it sounded like you were complaining about its difficulty; but I think its a good thing that its real simple and easy to unlock. The quest battles are fun and the rewards are pretty good but they shouldn't be gated behind a bunch of bullshit like "walk to the bottom of the badlands" or "assassinate an agent of X race" like so many of them are right now

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Grejnor's amazing work and quick turnaround inspired me to make a mod for my favorite faction, Dawi!

I've always hated the blue skill trees, their bonuses are small and boring, and I've recently become frustrated by how similar all of my Dwarf lords end up.

My solution is three new skill trees that are mutually exclusive and loaded with some pretty nice abilities that you'd normally find in red and blue trees. I've also changed the red skill trees to encourage greater unit diversity.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=906475454

It isn't compatible with mods that modify dwarf lords, but should otherwise work fine. Let me know if you run into any issues, this is my first attempt at a mod.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
this is tabletop rather than TW but its cool anyways

dude made a conversion for skaven to make them empire-themed and it owns. rats with hats owns.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 16, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

Grejnor's amazing work and quick turnaround inspired me to make a mod for my favorite faction, Dawi!

I've always hated the blue skill trees, their bonuses are small and boring, and I've recently become frustrated by how similar all of my Dwarf lords end up.

My solution is three new skill trees that are mutually exclusive and loaded with some pretty nice abilities that you'd normally find in red and blue trees. I've also changed the red skill trees to encourage greater unit diversity.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=906475454

It isn't compatible with mods that modify dwarf lords, but should otherwise work fine. Let me know if you run into any issues, this is my first attempt at a mod.

This is fantastic; you and Gejnor are doing fine work with the skill tree (and more) tweaks! Though I have to admit, I think this mod is more of what I'm looking for thanks to the exclusivity of the skill lines, their thematic consistency, and how some skills give additional powers to units that usually don't have them. Great work!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

dude made a conversion for skaven to make them empire-themed and it owns. rats with hats owns.

And this is also fantastic!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Do skaven say false-flag or false-false flag-flag?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Nanomashoes posted:

Do skaven say false-flag or false-false flag-flag?

9/11 was an inside job-job

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Haha this is as good as when you get "likes dwarves" for your orc that's spent its entire life murdering dwarves.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Now my dream mod that will never happen is one that replaces all the races with Skaven wearing and using their stuff.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Does Searing Doom do anything at all? It's my first time using Gelt and the spell seems completely pointless.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It does an alright amount of damage assuming you aren't on Ultra unit sizes, but spread out amongst a bunch of models so it doesn't actually tend to kill anyone. Don't expect too much of it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Corrode posted:

Does Searing Doom do anything at all? It's my first time using Gelt and the spell seems completely pointless.

You think that's bad, it's like three times stronger now than it was on release.

As Fangz said it will damage blobs more than you think but it doesn't kill anybody because the spell is basically just a rain of tiny arrows all hitting different models.

For other Gelt tips, use overcast Plague of Rust to bring down enemy generals or elite armored units, and only ever use the Overcast Hounds of Ghenna. The overcast version moves much slower and can wreck infantry blobs pretty hard.

Pretty much your flowchart once you have all the metal spells is focus on the Buffs/debuffs first, drop overcast Hounds anytime you've got a big blob of enemy units, and consider using Final Transmutation only if you can catch characters inside the AoE. Searing Doom is an early game spell you can stop using once you have better options.

Final Transmutation is overpriced as a general use DOT but it's like an AOE spirit leech that also takes a chunk out of normal units in the effect. Always overcast, it doubles the damage done.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

madmac posted:

You think that's bad, it's like three times stronger now than it was on release.

As Fangz said it will damage blobs more than you think but it doesn't kill anybody because the spell is basically just a rain of tiny arrows all hitting different models.

For other Gelt tips, use overcast Plague of Rust to bring down enemy generals or elite armored units, and only ever use the Overcast Hounds of Ghenna. The overcast version moves much slower and can wreck infantry blobs pretty hard.

Pretty much your flowchart once you have all the metal spells is focus on the Buffs/debuffs first, drop overcast Hounds anytime you've got a big blob of enemy units, and consider using Final Transmutation only if you can catch characters inside the AoE. Searing Doom is an early game spell you can stop using once you have better options.

Final Transmutation is overpriced as a general use DOT but it's like an AOE spirit leech that also takes a chunk out of normal units in the effect. Always overcast, it doubles the damage done.

Searing Doom will actually kill people even on Ultra unit sizes (especially with successive casts) but the kills don't get added to Gelt's personal kill count, much like other bombardment spells. Something to do with how they calculate the inflicted damage. It makes a decent spell to chuck on engaged melees where the enemy are all bunched up together.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Speaking of does the dwarf DoT rune actually do anything because it really looks like it doesnt

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
Rune of wrath and ruin is decent. He's got loads of other buffs and auras to make picking a tunesmith worthwhile.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

StashAugustine posted:

Speaking of does the dwarf DoT rune actually do anything because it really looks like it doesnt

Absolutely. The thing is it is a DoT that damages every model in the unit for the duration, so if you use it on a full health unit it doesn't seem to do much. Use it on a unit already getting attacked by something to kill it that much faster. It's also helpful vs a unit about to break because dwarfs suck at chasing down routing enemies. At that point the DoT will definitely start killing off stragglers.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

The poo poo graphical effect conceals it's status as one of the stronger DoT effects, actually, at least given the fact that it can be used over and over on a short cooldown. A lot of MP Dwarf armies use two Runesmiths as basically DPS hiding behind a line of cheap warriors.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

madmac posted:

A lot of MP Dwarf armies use two Runesmiths
Did Turin start this? His vids are where I saw it first, and I've been using it to decent effect in MP because of them.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Can somebody explain what unit size actually does?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

botany posted:

Can somebody explain what unit size actually does?

It determines the number of models each unit has. Higher unit sizes will have more guys in each 'squad' making for more epic battles, smaller unit sizes make the game easier to run on slow computers. Single model units like heroes, lords, and monsters are also scaled up to match the larger sizes of enemies they will likely fight. However, magic for some goddamn reason doesn't scale up in damage, so Bolt and Vortex spells become progressively less effective at larger unit sizes.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Panfilo posted:

It determines the number of models each unit has. Higher unit sizes will have more guys in each 'squad' making for more epic battles, smaller unit sizes make the game easier to run on slow computers. Single model units like heroes, lords, and monsters are also scaled up to match the larger sizes of enemies they will likely fight. However, magic for some goddamn reason doesn't scale up in damage, so Bolt and Vortex spells become progressively less effective at larger unit sizes.

So I've read on the internet that setting unit size to "ultra" basically makes lords better and magic worse. Is that true?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

botany posted:

So I've read on the internet that setting unit size to "ultra" basically makes lords better and magic worse. Is that true?

Panfilo posted:

Yeah, it basically waters down the damage dealt. So say you're running on small, all that damage is going into fewer models; if you're on ultra though it has to be divided up between even more models. And as Panfilo said, for some reason it doesn't scale. :downs:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

botany posted:

Yeah. The thing to consider is that with a lord on foot, there's only so many guys that can attack him at once (like 6?) but he's proportionally scaled up the same as that big unit he's fighting. So that big unit can't really take advantage of their numerical superiority since they'll just have 3 or 4 guys getting swatted around by the lord over and over, meanwhile the lord isn't getting attacked by any more guys than he would on 'small' unit size.

Rune abilities that the Dwarves have aren't negatively affected by larger unit sizes, because their abilities always affect all the models in the unit. Same goes for buffs or debuffs. Its only abilities like Fireball that lag behind.

If I knew how to mod it, I would make Bolt spells have a proportionally bigger AoE effect at each size tier, so that on Ultra you can still blast a bunch of guys at once making those types of spells actually potent, and just make vortex spells have a longer duration since a slow-moving vortex spell would have the potential to kill a lot of dudes in some massive blob, especially if it lingered more.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
On ultra don't you have to contend with your lord getting tired?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah you do, so you don't want to just throw them in a huge scrum without consideration of how they will get out of that mess. With Dwarves you tend to play defensively and I usually take their stamina-boosting skill. So combined with letting the enemy do all the running around and bonus stamina on my Lord's end, you can often count on the enemy getting pooped out before you do.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Steam tanks are fun as hell.

CHOO CHOO

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Steam tanks are fun as hell.

CHOO CHOO

:same:

Fun fact: Jade Wizards moonlight as mechanics apparently.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There been any clue towards when we'll start finding out about the next game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Dammit nothing takes the wind out of my sails faster in this game than when I crash right at the end of a long hard fought battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The hilarious-est ultra Lord is Grimgor, because he's so tough and fast and dwarfs are so slow it's common to break his whole army but Grimgor himself is comically hard to bring down unless he opens himself up to eating a bunch of ranged fire. He'll break after all his troops do and despite being surrounded in melee he'll end up springing off the battlefield while your siege and gunners desperately fire after him. Then he disappears into the distance and comes back to give you another fuckin grudge.

The grudge mechanic really needs changed, especially comparing how easy it is to get something like "assassinate an agent" or "defeat x lord" vs how tedious it can be to complete the grudge. In a human v human campaign it'd be a no-brainer as greenskins to be doing pointless agent actions and raids 24/7 to rack up penalties on the dwarf side. A single tiny stack doing a raid and then fleeing can end up being 8 severity or more, 3 of those and the dwarfs are at max grudge penalty.

• Locked thread