Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Can we get a little more info about the location of the Angola mission? If it's deep inland (and we go there) then a P-3 won't be hugely useful, but if we're gonna be doing more terrorism piracy sea interdiction, then a P-3 would be drat near priceless.

I think we should figure out where we're going before anybody puts too much thought into procurement packages. We need to get the right tools for the job. In that vein, I'm voting Angola, let's get away from China for a while.

Also, If you're not reading Phi230's descent into madness, you really should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Angola should be where we go to next. Could give us opportunities to continue using the SK-60s.

And for procurement:

We need at least 1 Gripen to replace losses.

And for additions, we could use a couple Tornados (30M version) for multi-purpose platform that can be used for SEAD/Wild Weasel purposes.

1x Gripen (70M) Replace losses
6x F-4E Phantom IIs (90M) Air-Superiority and/or bomb-trucks
6x Tornado (180M) Effectively Gripens with the addition of being able to carry AGM-88 HARMs for SEAD/WW

That brings aircraft procurement to 340M, which leaves 194M-ish for ADA/SAM/Support aircraft.
Otherwise, I don't really care about the ADA/SAMs.

Prowlers might be a bit too old for heavy EW use.

edit for the rest of the procurement.

CoffeeQaddaffi fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 16, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I still want to try to make the world better, not actively worse, and setting fully loaded tankers on fire will make things worse. Angola.

As for our buy...

To Start: $534,012,376.00 (534M)

JAS 39C Gripen (70M) x 1 = 70M
(To replace losses)
Mirage 2000H India (35M) x 4 = 140M
(People here like Mirages; good for Strike)
F-4E Greek (15M) x 6 = 90M
(To make a full squadron of Phantoms; good for Strike and CAP [AMRAAMs])
Tornado (30M) x 4 = 120M
(For Strike and SEAD)
SIDAM (5M) x 4 + ASRAD (10M) x4 = 60M
(because as this showed, you can't be too careful with grounded aircraft)
Total Spent = 480M

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Davin you know full well that if we go to Africa we're gonna end up as CAS for whoever the genocidal dictator du jour is.

Time to head out for the Bering Sea. We'd drat well better get to be eco-terrorists now :colbert:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Crazycryodude posted:

Davin you know full well that if we go to Africa we're gonna end up as CAS for whoever the genocidal dictator du jour is.

Time to head out for the Bering Sea. We'd drat well better get to be eco-terrorists now :colbert:

Since we get to pick sides, maybe we can drop bombs on the dictator? :pray:

And you can totally be an ecoterrorist in Africa! Enforce anti-poaching regulations with the guns of an SK 60B!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hold on! Planes and procurement first.

I'll do an effort post on deployment once I've got the theaters ready to go. Now that I can import the entirety of an area the AOO's will be very, very detailed.

Edit : Welp, cracking a beer and doing some deployment effort post work!

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Procurement plan "Head West Young Goon":

Gonna quote myself here:

power crystals posted:

For future aircraft purchases I'd say our priorities should be, in order:

1. Replacing losses. Self-explanatory. That missing Gripen would be nice to have back, likewise whatever bites it on Operation Entebbe's Lesser Known And Uglier Cousin. Though if any of the SK60s bite it they can stay dead, gently caress those things.
  2. ARMs. This is something that would enable us to act more aggressively. Specifically, something that flies high and fast that can mount them. I'm not 100% sure what the best choice for this would be; Fencers or the Polish Fitters would be an option. I'd have to stare at missile stats to figure out the ideal option.
  3. Bomb trucks. Our two Phantoms can wreck the poo poo out of things, but there's only two of them (:argh:). More aircraft in that vein would be great - something that goes fast and can carry a ridiculous amount of ordnance. I saw someone suggest F111s earlier which would also be amazing, but if any still exist they'd probably require a shitload of maintenance cost. Swing-wings aren't cheap.
  4. A SAM battery. No, really. We should get something to prevent our planes from getting punked on the ground just in case some random Flanker decides to follow us home. We're unlikely to ever find (or afford) a Patriot or S-300, but maybe there's some old Rolands or something out there. It doesn't need to be perfect, but be enough of a threat to discourage assholes we're bombing from trying to return the favor on us.
  5. Napalm bombers. This operation has a very disappointing lack of war crimes and we should remedy this.

I'm gonna strike #5 because we don't have quite enough money to spend on deliberately flipping off the planet yet. In due time...
So with that aside,
  • 1x JAS-39C "Gripen" ($70M) - To replace the one we lost. These things are amazing and we lost one to a goddamned Fishbed. Embarrassing.
  • 6x F4-E "Phantom II" ($90M) - I think by now everybody knows I am angry, angry about (the lack of) Phantoms. The two we had did a shitload of damage. Imagine what 2-4x that much could do! Even if some of them break down that's enough bomb truck to sling bombs and AMRAAMs at whatever looks at us funny.
  • 1x EA-6B "Prowler" ($52M) - I tried to do this using only the K&P list, but the Tornado is so insanely expensive and they lack a bunch of other options. The Prowler doesn't seem to have afterburners, but it's still got one hell of an EW suite and it can mount HARMs so we can go SAM hunting.
  • 1x KC-135 "Stratotanker" ($39M) - Am I insane? Well, probably. But so is everybody else in this outfit. With two tankers we could do some even more ridiculous around-the-world shenanigans, and it's not even that expensive!
  • 2x MQ-9 "Reaper" [United States] ($55M) - If we convert the Gripens to CAP as their primary mission, we need a new recon bird and those Phantoms just have cameras. These have all kinds of poo poo and they come with bonus Hellfires. Those Hiluxes won't know what hit them. The US Reapers are apparently cheaper than the European ones, too, despite those not having the Hellfire option? I guess it's an export tax.
  • 2x MIM-23 "Hawk" ($40M) - The only AA option that really appeals to me are the SA-22s from the Ivanonvs, but adding the third vendor hurts too much. Hawks are poo poo, but they've got range at least.
  • 4x SIDAM ($20M) - I sure hope we never have to use these on planes with their 0.8nm range, but they're cheap. They'd work to discourage helicopter shenanigans pretty well though.
  • 1x P3-C "Orion" ($64M) - You fuckers are determined to drag boats into this so let's just buy the thing now and get it over with, especially if we wind up in the Bering Sea. Plus like our S100B it'll probably get a whole crew of goons assigned to it!

With the second vendor surcharge, this should be $516M.

Let me know if I made any math errors (totally unheard of, yesiree) or if you think I've made a terrible mistake in my reasoning!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

I still want to try to make the world better, not actively worse, and setting fully loaded tankers on fire will make things worse. Angola.

As for our buy...

(To replace losses)
Tornado (30M) x 4 = 120M
(For Strike and SEAD)
Total Spent = 480M

I mostly like this, but replace the Mirages with 2 more Tornados and save the extra $80M for rainy day / ordnance / etc.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
China's reach is long, they're ramping up their involvement and investment on the African continent and if they get wind that we're operating there then I bet they'd find a way to kick over our sandcastle. The Bering Sea on the other hand is not quite on the other side of the ocean, and while we've embarrassed them I doubt we rate dispatching a carrier group to 'protect shipping'. Yet.

Also for personal reasons I would vote Bering Sea. Plus, the weather out there will be completely insane which will make missions a hoot. Maybe you will be stationed on the Pribilofs and get to dodge puffins on takeoff into gales.

We'll probably want the P3 Orion, and the KC-135 because we'll be operating over water so much.
For other offerings, there is a quartet of Mirage 2000's from K&P. Those are pretty good planes, right? Or, get all 12 of the Etendard's for roughly the same price and when I read wikipedia they each carry one Exocet ~450nm.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Procurement Plan: Red Viking

Klaus & Pedersen:
(1) JAS 39C Gripen
(4) Tornado
(6) F4-E Phantom Greek
Total = $280 Million

Ivanov Brothers:
(4) SU-24 Fencer B
(2) SU-25SM Frogfoot
(1) IL-76 Tanker
Total = $148 Million + $29.6 Million (Change of Supplier Fee) = $177.6 Million

Total = $457.6 Million

Popete fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 16, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

So are we supposed to be voting for the next theater or not yet? Because it seems like not yet, but I don't want to be waiting and then not get my vote in.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Not yet, Yooper's gonna flesh them out before we start voting.

You should totally vote for the Bering Sea though

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
Africa should be a nice breather and after what our frogfoots did I am tempted to go with the Russians this time although we should prob get more Gripens instead :shrug:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thefluffy posted:

Africa should be a nice breather and after what our frogfoots did I am tempted to go with the Russians this time although we should prob get more Gripens instead :shrug:

I'm all about getting some SU-27s but the %20 tax on changing suppliers would really hurt. It's best we stick primarily with Euro stuff and have Russian stuff as a smaller chunk of our buy cost to be most cost effective.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Popete posted:

I'm all about getting some SU-27s but the %20 tax on changing suppliers would really hurt. It's best we stick primarily with Euro stuff and have Russian stuff as a smaller chunk of our buy cost to be most cost effective.

Su-27s are pretty much straight outclassed by the Gripens in the air-to-air role, mostly thanks to the Meteor missiles, with the main exception of number of missiles carried. I really do feel (as in my proposal) that we're best served with a "Gripens First" fleet where everything else exists to let the Gripens shove Meteors into the faces of things we don't like.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

power crystals posted:

Su-27s are pretty much straight outclassed by the Gripens in the air-to-air role, mostly thanks to the Meteor missiles, with the main exception of number of missiles carried. I really do feel (as in my proposal) that we're best served with a "Gripens First" fleet where everything else exists to let the Gripens shove Meteors into the faces of things we don't like.

Alternately, a fleet where the Gripens shove Meteors into anything we don't like which lets everybody else do their business with giant bombs.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i think we should stick with euro gear. The frogfoots did good, but i think their best left as opportunity buys rather than something to eat that 20% tax when we could get more gripens and tornadoes.

also go sk60s. those guys have sealed themselves a role as being helpful AND expendable!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Angola

Africa is a harsh place where no one gives two shits, least of all those who call it home. Angola is in a special sort of hell right now. All over lithium. This shiny little metal does more than medicate your aunt, it is the driving force in every single battery on the planet. Namibia has diamonds. Angola now has lithium.

The center of the country has the majority of it, it's deep, expensive to reach, but lucrative to those who control it. And everyone wants to control it. On one side we have Delvanio Dos Santos, nephew of the previous president, he is in the center of the country and has used his massive lithium earnings to bulk up his military. In the South is an odd man, Count Vidas Von Hoff, an idealist and humanitarian. Finally in the North is the fedora wearing, steampunk goggled, dream of the internet. The Free State.

Delvanio Dos Santos came to power when his uncle, Jose dos Santos, passed away. What followed was the usual cycle of purges and violence but this was all stopped when the deep lithium deposits were discovered. Delvanio suddenly took on a very calculating, very deliberate stance. Instead of a poor African nation he has dreams of a nation unlike any scene in modern Africa. Now he has the budget to do it. Charismatic, calculating, and violent.

Count Vidas Von Hoff hails from a different age. He fought with the French at Bien Dien Phu and saw the horrors of war. He was a UN special ambassador to the Khmer Rouge and spent four years in a Cambodian prison camp for his efforts. After that he ran humanitarian aid into Rhodesia. An incurable idealist and a man who wants to see a true African democracy. This is his last chance before old age takes him away. Don't think him soft. The Count is as violent as they come, when the need arises. He's captured the eye of the world, and the focus is firmly on Angola and his desire for a proper democracy.

The Free State. Imagine if /r/bitcoin, every libertarian, that one Ron Paul supporter, and that dude in a Fedora with steampunk goggles started a country. They have crazy ideals, even crazier plans, and to top it off, a Kickstarter campaign honed to a diamond sharpness. They see Angola as the chance to prove out every theory on how to actually run a country, the way "they" think it should be. All they need to do is claim that lithium and they have an opportunity to create a new African nation built upon the greatest ideals of the internet. Flush with cash, ideas, and a will to conquer, but they totally lack any military strength. They've only gotten as far as they have because of mercenaries, mercs who recently departed.

The Bering Sea

Cold. Wet. Filled with fish. That is the draw of the Bering Sea. Beyond that it's the gateway to the artic. Recently a US Carrier Group held these waters to protect the natural gas tankers. But now the new Alaskan Pipeline is up and running that carrier is gone. Before the sea kept the hostiles apart, now they're close enough to fist-fight.

Mitsuhashi. The Japanese salaryman is at the core of the Mitsuhashi work ethic. Through a landmark WTO case they secured the rights to fish in, and above, the Bering sea. They have sushi. Tuna. Crab. Whale. Every loving thing in the sea. They grind it up and sell it to the world. Japan's economy is still in a funk, and Mitsuhashi has broken free of that. They will not, under any circumstances, let this opportunity go. Now that the Carrier Group is gone they plan on securing the straits and reaping the rewards. Their fleet of automated processing ships are the largest in the world.

Iceberg Fresh Fish gives no fucks. They lost it all thinking the US Government was going to go to bat for them. Instead congress couldn't decide which side of their pants to piss down. So Iceberg is left holding the loving bag. The Board of Iceberg is not happy. When the Great Chicken Crash of 2021 happened all those Chicken magnates dumped every cent into Iceberg. These people aren't going down without a fight. For them it's more than fish, it's the American ideal to protect the great outdoors and strip it of every usable calorie.

AngerPEACE is not happy. They haven't been happy since Greenpeace refused to torpedo Japanese whaling vessels. They haven't been happy since someone ate meat. They haven't been happy since anyone is allowed to fish. Beyond that they're pissed at the petroleum industry for loving up the arctic. Again. For them it's more than saving the whales, it's saving the world, by hitting capitalism where it hurts, in the loving wallet. Make no mistake, this is straight up unsanctioned piracy. Everyone is going to shoot at whoever takes this job. But on the plus side the Bering Sea is full of targets.

There are our theaters of operation Hired Goons. I'd still like to do procurement first, but now you know where our forces may operate.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Yooper posted:

The Free State. Imagine if /r/bitcoin, every libertarian, that one Ron Paul supporter, and that dude in a Fedora with steampunk goggles started a country. They have crazy ideals, even crazier plans, and to top it off, a Kickstarter campaign honed to a diamond sharpness. They see Angola as the chance to prove out every theory on how to actually run a country, the way "they" think it should be. All they need to do is claim that lithium and they have an opportunity to create a new African nation built upon the greatest ideals of the internet. Flush with cash, ideas, and a will to conquer, but they totally lack any military strength. They've only gotten as far as they have because of mercenaries, mercs who recently departed.

Gentlemen. Gentlemen. I've think we've found our newest employer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, we need to head to Angola and we need to give the Free State every single swirly possible.

Like, hell, I'd shoot those guys for free.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh man, I want to help out Count von Hoff, but saving the planet is more important. If he can just hold on until we can save the whales from extinction he's got my full support, but poo poo I feel kinda bad. Still, the work we do in the Bering Sea will be a positive force for millenia. Africa is, unfortunately, the kind of thing that'll sort itself in a century or two with lots of suffering in between. The biosphere is the kind of thing that will sort itself out never, but with the suffering all the same.

Also, nuke the Free State.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 16, 2017

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Davin Valkri posted:

As for our buy...

(To replace losses)
Tornado (30M) x 4 = 120M
(For Strike and SEAD)
Total Spent = 480M

I like this but I'm thinking drop the Mirages and pick up the KC-135 and Prowler

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Man, we need to head to Angola and we need to give the Free State every single swirly possible.

Like, hell, I'd shoot those guys for free.

Count von Hoff would pay us to do it. Bonus points. Please tell me he's actually an idealist, and not a senile old man who will let his dipshit son/nephew/[insert younger relation here] screw up everything.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

Gentlemen. Gentlemen. I've think we've found our newest employer.

Employer? I think you mean target of opportunity.

Seriously, I don't care if you end up flying fish from Maine to Moscow, no matter what you do you gotta bomb the gently caress out of them on the way.

They're rich, they have no protection and good god look at them. Look at them! Besides, you know if you flew for them they'd try to pull a fast one, no matter how dumb it would be.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 16, 2017

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Yeah, let's work for Von Hoff and dropnapalm and White Phosphorous rockets on The Free State.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
This is going to come as no surprise but I say we sign on with Angerpeace and enforce sustainable fishing practices the only way we know how. Through air strikes.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Procurement: Plane It Again, SAM
ASRAD 4x = $40m
SIDAM 4x = $20m
JAS 39C Gripen 3x = $210m
F-4E Greek 6x = $90m
Mirage 2000H (India) 2x = $70m

KC-135 1x39x1.2 = $46.8m

Total: 476.8 million

Remember that the markup is only on the minority supplier, not the total purchase. We can get the tanker from Ford, Lincoln, and Military, and get everything else from good ol' Klaus and Pedersen at list price.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

NewMars posted:

Employer? I think you mean target of opportunity.

Seriously, I don't care if you end up flying fish from Maine to Moscow, no matter what you do you gotta bomb the gently caress out of them on the way.

They're rich, they have no protection and good god look at them. Look at them! Besides, you know if you flew for them they'd try to pull a fast one, no matter how dumb it would be.

Come on man. Look at them. They've got nothing aside from mercs-they would pay through the loving nose for any kind of support.

Besides our two groups really aren't that different-both us and the Free State have/are pissing off power blocs far more dangerous than ourselves. Not to mention that these guys seem like they're as stupidly (and I'd like to emphasize stupidly) ambitious as we are.

I mean, they probably are assholes that deserve a good kick in the nads, but god drat would we have stories to tell if we rolled with them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I vote we back Count Von Hoff in Angola. The Steampunk guy seems like a bad idea, because it'll be a horribly run scam. The dictator is straight out.

The hippie situation in the Bering Straight can resolve itself. Don't give a fuuuuuck.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Voting for Bearing Sea: Anger Peace, we need to save this planet the only way we know how. Blowing poo poo up.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Maybe China will forgive us if we sink enough Japanese trawlers...

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
can we backstab the steampunk shits if we work for them? I mean you guys talk about needing a base and all...

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

Come on man. Look at them. They've got nothing aside from mercs-they would pay through the loving nose for any kind of support.

Besides our two groups really aren't that different-both us and the Free State have/are pissing off power blocs far more dangerous than ourselves. Not to mention that these guys seem like they're as stupidly (and I'd like to emphasize stupidly) ambitious as we are.

I mean, they probably are assholes that deserve a good kick in the nads, but god drat would we have stories to tell if we rolled with them.

Thefluffy posted:

can we backstab the steampunk shits if we work for them? I mean you guys talk about needing a base and all...

I can tell you right now what is probably gonna happen: They'll promise support that they won't hire and when we win anyway, they'll reveal their kickstarted army of superdrones that will malfunction and burn down, leaving neither of us with any money.

We'll be left in desperate need of a contract while Chris Roberts is back to selling star citizen ships.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Dr. Snark posted:

Knowing them, they'd probably pay us in "Free State Scrip" or some other worthless currency.

Dr. Snark posted:

Okay, first off, gently caress you for comparing us, second off, there's a huge difference between going in to support humanitarian aid and getting dragged into a bigger conflict and resurrecting a model of war that involves going to war over bat poop so that techbros can source their iPhone 13s marginally cheaper.

Dr. Snark posted:

We'd have stories to tell our lawyers to get our money back after they cheat us out of our contract on some stupid-rear end technicality.

Also WRT procurement: I'm not sure if we need another tanker--if anything the one we already have has nearly screwed us twice over! And would a Tornado ECR be better than a Prowler?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
If y'all don't buy the two M163 VADS to tool around shooting up Angola then I can only conclude you hate fun. :colbert:

*vvvvVVVVRRRRMMMMMM**BRAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT*

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Neophyte posted:

If y'all don't buy the two M163 VADS to tool around shooting up Angola then I can only conclude you hate fun. :colbert:

*vvvvVVVVRRRRMMMMMM**BRAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT*

Honestly, if we really want good AA we'd probably buy Soviet, because those guys really know their AA, but I don't trust that dealer.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Definitely Go to Angola and Help out von Hoff. The Bering Sea is a nightmare that will only get us on the poo poo list of every superpower in the universe, while we have a chance to actually do something good in Africa, specifically loving the Free State up something ferocious.

GenHavoc fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 16, 2017

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Snark posted:

Yeah "they tried to pay us in proprietary bitcoins so we blew their base up and sold the survivors to a lithium mine" would be a pretty rad story

on that note Lets help out von Hoff in angola as your not a real merc company until you operate in a sub-saharan african country.

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 16, 2017

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

We should go to Angola for three reasons:
1) More ground missions using Phoenix Command
2) Buy and use Apaches
3) Buy and use SPAA vehicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It's still technically not theater voting time, by the way. Let's figure out what we're buying before Yooper yells at us for jumping the gun again.