Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Rookersh posted:

There are always special areas because there are plot relevant areas. Coldharbour ( the big bads domain ) isn't accessible until you beat the main quest for example. You also have quest chains to follow that encourage you to stick to the main path ( and like any other TES game the quests tend to be actually fairly interesting/chain in ways that you want to do them in order. ). There are also still somewhat harder random world dungeons compared to the basic stuff. It's also pretty lenient overall about what you do/how you do it, because most of the side content just rewards you with more skill points/loot, so if you start getting bored of doing x, you don't actually have to keep doing it.

Crown Store is just cosmetic stuff and boosters. You can buy a horse ingame for basically pennies. Or.....you could ride a wolf for $5. Or how about EVIL BLACK WOLF for $10. The only real worthwhile expenses are the DLC ( which is pretty pick and choose honestly. Thieves Guild adds a Thieves Guild. Don't care about joining the Thieves Guild? Congrats you don't need it. Dark Brotherhood adds the murder people guild. Don't care about that? Congrats you don't need it. Imperial City adds a smaller scale PvP zone and some endgame dungeons that continue the plot, but eh if you don't like PvP that much. Orsinium is probably the only must get for adding a whole new questing zone/tons of new stuff to do. ), and maybe a sub for the crafting bags. Without a sub crafting mats go in your basic bags, which is slightly annoying to sort through/plan around. If you sub you get a infinite crafting bag that just holds it all forever.

Thanks for the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

StarMinstrel posted:

Trying this out for the free weekend. Decided to go for a nord Valkyrie sword and board, dragon knight. We'll see how that plays.

Most of all I'm glad to hear this game kept the long Elders Scrolls'games tradition of using three voice actors.

Leveling as sword and board is painful, don't do it, go 2hander, dual wield or destruction staff

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

MF_James posted:

Leveling as sword and board is painful, don't do it, go 2hander, dual wield or destruction staff

If you really want 1 hand and shield keep it on your second bar when that unlocks at level 15. When you turn in quests have that bar up so the XP pours into it. The primary weapon bar will still level way faster so it doesn't hurt your progress or anything.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

MF_James posted:

I found it easiest to get training trait weapons, keep them equipped with maybe one or two s&b skills on the bar, and then use class skills for leveling. Also, figuring out the rhythm for weaving light attacks and abilities. Oh, and not falling into the first time player trap of thinking that you should put points into health to be a tank. That's the real thing, I'd say. Remember to put your points all in either magicka or stamina, whichever you're using, when leveling.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Hmm I'm not sure I get it then. I thought skills only leveled up is you used them like on skyrim. Do s&b skills level up by just being in your hotbar?

Also, regarding the comment above, did you mean you do all your damage with your class skill?

Should I restart or is this like FFXIV and you just keep leveling, be awesome at everything.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

StarMinstrel posted:

Hmm I'm not sure I get it then. I thought skills only leveled up is you used them like on skyrim. Do s&b skills level up by just being in your hotbar?

Also, regarding the comment above, did you mean you do all your damage with your class skill?

Should I restart or is this like FFXIV and you just keep leveling, be awesome at everything.

Skills will level up by having one of them equipped on the bar when you gain experience. That can be from either kills or quest turn ins. The training trait, iirc, increases the experience contribution to skills from kills.

You're generally going to do better doing damage with class skills than s&b skills. Which isn't to say that you have to do it that way, but it lets you raise class skill lines while leveling which can be pretty nice when you want to play around with specs later.

One of the cool things about this game is that basically everything is viable. The level scaling and open world do a pretty decent job of juuuuust easy enough if you're not turbo minmaxing your way through. If you want to be spergpetative for end game veteran dungeons or maelstrom arena or whatever you'll need to use very specific builds then, but you can have fun doing whatever on the way there!

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

I want in the guild, @yates25.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

StarMinstrel posted:

You can level up every skill line on one character, you'll just be limited by how many skill points you have to spend. You can reset your skill and stat point allocations for a gold fee whenever you want. The only reason to restart would be if you want to change your race/appearance without paying the crown (real money) fee.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Do we, in fact, have PS4 presence

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Nate405 posted:

You can level up every skill line on one character, you'll just be limited by how many skill points you have to spend. You can reset your skill and stat point allocations for a gold fee whenever you want. The only reason to restart would be if you want to change your race/appearance without paying the crown (real money) fee.

Cool then. That suits my boat. Valkyrie it is!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
If you're on PC, post your @account name, and we'll get you hooked up.

It behooves you to fully decide stam vs magic at the start and put all your points into that. Probably stam, because Nord.

Aramek fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 15, 2017

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Got in on the trial and am having a lot of fun! I ended up getting the gold edition from GMG as well.

Can I get a invite to the guild? @Resonance22. Thanks!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Just got this game 'cause it was on offer and I've been sitting watching a loading screen after the first tutorial area for 10 mins. Are the servers overloaded or something? I assume this isn't just how long the game normally takes to load.

Also, are you goons all on the NA servers or are there EU goons (or can NA and EU play together?)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Chalks posted:

Just got this game 'cause it was on offer and I've been sitting watching a loading screen after the first tutorial area for 10 mins. Are the servers overloaded or something? I assume this isn't just how long the game normally takes to load.

It's a bug that they've announced as fixed in multiple patches, and happens most often when you're trying to enter more populated areas. Just force quit and restart.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Chalks posted:

Also, are you goons all on the NA servers or are there EU goons (or can NA and EU play together?)

With the free weekend and sale the servers are somewhat overloaded, yeah. Sometimes if there's a ton of people in the place you'll end up when you're logging in it'll hang. It won't work if you wait; just quit and restart the game and it should be ok. Obviously a shitton of people will be in the starting area right now so once you get in and move away you'll be fine.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Picked this up, pretty fun. If I could get a guild invite to @Kris_xK that would be super

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
So at almost CP400 I'm giving up on the Xbox version since my RL friends have pretty much left. Bought the pc version, can I get a guild invite @pezfortytwo ?

Also I am abandoning my house, my max level crafters, even my horse, so if anyone wants to throw me some spare materials and junk to deconstruct it will make my day :sigh:

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Pez posted:

So at almost CP400 I'm giving up on the Xbox version since my RL friends have pretty much left. Bought the pc version, can I get a guild invite @pezfortytwo ?

Also I am abandoning my house, my max level crafters, even my horse, so if anyone wants to throw me some spare materials and junk to deconstruct it will make my day :sigh:

740 cp former Xbone player here...left more that you can imagine as well. It'll be all right my friend, ya made the right choice!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dori's already back up at close to CP cap anyway, and I've been tossing motifs at him left and right. You'll be fine mate.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah honestly it's not hard to get all that back once you know what you're doing, it's the initial figuring everything out that makes poo poo take so long.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Decided to pick the gold version from bundlestars for $23. I'm having fun hunting down crafting items so I can make my one gold lagers.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
All right I'm also intrigued about another thing: how viable is it to have multiple types of weapons? Could you play as an archer that switches to dual wield when the enemy gets close? I saw a tip related to using a quick ardor potions. Can you quickly switch between weapons set using that?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

StarMinstrel posted:

All right I'm also intrigued about another thing: how viable is it to have multiple types of weapons? Could you play as an archer that switches to dual wield when the enemy gets close? I saw a tip related to using a quick ardor potions. Can you quickly switch between weapons set using that?

Once you get to level 15 you get a 2nd skillbar and second set of gear you switch to by pressing(I think) `

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

RFC2324 posted:

Once you get to level 15 you get a 2nd skillbar and second set of gear you switch to by pressing(I think) `

Ah cool. Good to know.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Requesting a guild invite. @UnguidedSALTW

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

StarMinstrel posted:

This is the standard for a stamina build for basically every class so yeah its totally viable.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Requesting guild invite Edit: Got it, Thanks!

madcow fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 16, 2017

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
*Load up game* "CROWN SALE NERDS!" ...:getin:

I've missed this game.

Mhasmic
Dec 10, 2016
Toss a Guild invite? @Sarkaire

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Started playing this, got a lvl26 high elf sorcerer pure mage/lightning staff and it's a blast so far. I've been doing some crafting leveling and gathering ALL THE THINGS EVER.

Just one complaint: in wow, I could use '/script UIErrorsFrame:Hide();' to hide the ui error text like 'this item is not ready yet' etc, is there an equivalent command for ESO? Google isn't getting anything relevant, just hiding lua errors.

Also if I could get an invite to whatever relevant goon guild, that would be great. Acct handle is @Ambaire. Thanks.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
The OP mentions that race matters a lot but one guy last page said it doesn't matter except for high-end PvP.

Am I gonna regret rolling a Night Elf Rogue Dunmer Nightblade?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Enallyniv posted:

The OP mentions that race matters a lot but one guy last page said it doesn't matter except for high-end PvP.

Dunmers make the best Nightblades.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Oh... I guess that makes that choice a little easier. Thanks! My five minutes of Googling didn't even mention Dunmer once so I started to wonder if I was getting into something bad.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Enallyniv posted:

Oh... I guess that makes that choice a little easier. Thanks! My five minutes of Googling didn't even mention Dunmer once so I started to wonder if I was getting into something bad.

Each race gets 3(?) passives that can synergize with certain classes, but, like that one guy said, it's a small enough effect that it doesn't really make a massive difference in normal PVE playing or anything. The passives when maxed out will give you 5-7% bonuses in most cases. So it helps, particularly for end game and PVP, but you wouldn't be ruined either if you chose something that isn't perfect.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I should probably clarify that when it comes to high-end gameplay (PvP/Trial Leaderboard Runs), race matters if you're trying to squeeze the most out of your character. When it comes to casual gameplay, go nuts with whatver.

That said, Dunmer make the best mage characters in the game, simply because of their massive bonus to fire damage (which is the de-facto "single-target" damage archetype, considering that fire staves got a hefty boost to single target DPS).

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
@Vortikai

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
All right. Decided to buy the gold edition + adventurer's pack. Requesting invite!

@starminstrel

Thanks ^_^

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Enallyniv posted:

Like I said, its not a big deal either way, but nightblades have plenty of magic-based skills that can benefit from the dunmer's passives.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So anyone play this on PS4?

To me this seems like a PC game, but I just wonder what the console is like.. is it lacking social aspects like all MMOS require? No more fancy graphical internet chatroom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I'm confused about the Steam deal for this game going on right now.

For the :10bux: deal, what do you get and what do you not get?