Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

To be fair, they expected to send him off to a paradise where he couldn't hurt anyone, not just straight up space him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When mind control is a thing that exists you don't get to single out one dude for planetary exile.

"Ah, Hulk's gone. We can rest easy. Hey, check out CNN. Looks like Giant Man did a belly flop on top of the Staten Island ferry. We better help him through this tough time."

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Retro Futurist posted:

To be fair, they expected to send him off to a paradise where he couldn't hurt anyone, not just straight up space him

They still treated him like less than a person. I understand that Hulk is complex and I almost see how they thought they were doing the right thing. Almost. Hulk coming back and beating everyone up was a great idea.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

Yeah, but they live in a world where people can't even stay dead, how the hell would shooting Hulk, against his will, off planet work out well? Namor's showing some genre-savviness when he tells them that it will backfire and Hulk will come back.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

When mind control is a thing that exists you don't get to single out one dude for planetary exile.

"Ah, Hulk's gone. We can rest easy. Hey, check out CNN. Looks like Giant Man did a belly flop on top of the Staten Island ferry. We better help him through this tough time."

Hulk wasn't mind controlled though he just went berserk, which he's done quite a lot. Keep in mind this was before Greg Pak wrote that stupid bullshit about how Hulk's usual rampages never ever kill anyone because Banner is always doing secret math.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Hulk wasn't mind controlled though he just went berserk, which he's done quite a lot. Keep in mind this was before Greg Pak wrote that stupid bullshit about how Hulk's usual rampages never ever kill anyone because Banner is always doing secret math.

I like that just a few years before Bruce Jones had a run on Hulk showing that Hulk killed a bunch of people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Greg Pak's run on Hulk is a really great, character-defining one, but him trying to sneak in that retcon is some :jerkbag: poo poo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

I like that just a few years before Bruce Jones had a run on Hulk showing that Hulk killed a bunch of people.

Wasn't that run reconed into a dream by Peter David?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Wasn't that run reconed into a dream by Peter David?

Probably.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's really loving hilarious because almost all of them are much more dangerous than The Hulk. Reed Richards saved Galactus' life, despite him trying to eat Earth multiple times times before, and then continuing to do it after, Dr. Strange destroyed all of existence at one point, and Namor's right that a drunk Iron Man could quite easily kill as many people as The Hulk and most alcoholics relapse at least once. Don't get me started on Charles "Half of Onslaught" Xavier.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah the Hulk thing was written as it being more a straw breaking the camel's back situation, but nobody could really get enough justification on there to cover up the fact that they were being extremely arbitrary and everyone was going to deserve every inch of what they got when he inevitably came back.

In fairness the straw was a JMS issue where Hulk (who was smart in that run when everywhere else he was still db/savage) was helping out SHIELD track down an AIM plot. They had built a gamma bomb in a secret base. It blows up when Hulk tries to defuse it and it makes him go full on crazy savage Hulk.
He smashes up a town in Utah, and when the Thing tries to stop him, beats him within an inch of his life.

And honestly I can see Reed deciding to take the extreme step of exile and using the deaths of the town in Utah as an excuse, when really it is because his best friend nearly died.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Richards was just pissed the Hulk almost killed Ben before Reed could do it by "accident"

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Was the Illumaniti ever found out by the regular MCU heroes? What was their reaction?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

Was the Illumaniti ever found out by the regular MCU heroes? What was their reaction?

That was after Civil War so it was probably "Whatever."

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Cap figured it out, to a degree, and they wiped his mind/.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm pretty sure their existence was (relatively) widely known during Time Runs Out?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Everyone except Xavier and Namor was basically publicly tried during World War Hulk for acting as the Illuminati. Then Bendis did another "the Avengers find out about the Illumnati!!!!" at some point which ended with Cap joining them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That storyline was so stupid.

:dota101:"You guys have been having secret meetings deciding the fate of the world!? And now your dumb bullshit has led to some random street thug having the infinity gems! You stupid loving assholes!"
*the crisis is barely averted no thanks to any of the illuminati*
:dota101:"Ok guys now I see your point, I'm a big fan of secret societies now, shadow governments rule."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

:dota101:"You guys have been having secret meetings deciding the fate of the world!? And now your dumb bullshit has led to some random street thug having the infinity gems! You stupid loving assholes!"
:dota101:"Ok guys now I see your point, I'm a big fan of secret societies now, shadow governments rule."

I mean to be fair, dude is a nazi.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

That was brought up in captain America and the mighty avengers and he basically says he joined them to make sure they did nothing stupid, but they then mindwiped him

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

What the hell why is there a Cap with an axe emoticon?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's actually this warcraft 3 icon

Which was one of Blizzard's many "subtle" pop culture references. The icon was used for a really strong item you can buy in the original DOTA mod, hence why it's the "dota101" icon. The axe is also patterned after a DOTA item.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

It was Namor.

Not the first time Doc had done this kind of thing.

Here's where things wound up:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TwoPair posted:

It was Namor.

I miss this era of Bendis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I miss this era of Bendis.

I unironically liked when he killed Alpha Flight off panel.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The talk of cancellation in the Marvel thread got me thinking: what's the quickest a book has been cancelled by a major-ish publisher? I figure that because of the way printing a stuff works, the second issue is pretty close to complete by the time the first one ships, but has a #1 ever sold so poorly that they don't bother even printing the #2?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rochallor posted:

The talk of cancellation in the Marvel thread got me thinking: what's the quickest a book has been cancelled by a major-ish publisher? I figure that because of the way printing a stuff works, the second issue is pretty close to complete by the time the first one ships, but has a #1 ever sold so poorly that they don't bother even printing the #2?

These days it's in the company's best interests to at least publish enough for a trade even if it's a super low selling book.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rochallor posted:

I think Acclaim's Concrete Jungle is probably up there -- Priest says it was canceled before the first issue even shipped.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I doubt it's the quickest ever, but I remember the New 52 cancelled a whole bunch of stuff early on. I was pretty disappointed about Static.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Selachian posted:

I think Acclaim's Concrete Jungle is probably up there -- Priest says it was canceled before the first issue even shipped.

The entire company was going belly up so nobody should have been shocked by that one.

SonicRulez posted:

I doubt it's the quickest ever, but I remember the New 52 cancelled a whole bunch of stuff early on. I was pretty disappointed about Static.

The first wave of N52 cancellations still made it to #8. The new Ghost Rider series got 5. The recent Vigilante mini was cancelled at #3 but they said the finished issues will be in th TPB.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rochallor posted:

This used to be somewhat common in the bankruptcy era but at least Marvel seems to give their new titles 12 issues no matter what nowadays

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Daredevil/Bullseye: The Target got cancelled after 1 issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

Daredevil/Bullseye: The Target got cancelled after 1 issue.

The writer being a massive oval office who never bothered to write a second issue isn't the same as a book being cancelled.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Rhyno posted:

The writer being a massive oval office who never bothered to write a second issue isn't the same as a book being cancelled.

Still incredibly bitter I spent money on that.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Checking with Google, the DC Implosion resulted in a few books being canned after just one issue, although two of them were reprint titles.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Rochallor posted:

A few miniseries have been abbreviated midway through. Marvel had an All-Winners Squad mini a few years back that was outright cancelled midway through the story (and i don't think ever finished, even in trade), which is really rare for the Big Two.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

With Joker being in Injustice 2, I'm writing a piece on continuities where they killed off the Joker only for him to return or live on in some fashion. Here's what I have:

- Dark Knight Returns
- Batman Beyond
- Arkham game series
- The Nail
- The Batman 666 future
- The NES Batman games
- The planned fifth Batman movie where Nicholson Joker would have reappeared as a fear gas illusion
- The first Injustice

Anything else? Any Elseworlds I'm missing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does Gotham's fake Joker count? I heard they brought him back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Gavok posted:

With Joker being in Injustice 2, I'm writing a piece on continuities where they killed off the Joker only for him to return or live on in some fashion. Here's what I have:

- Dark Knight Returns
- Batman Beyond
- Arkham game series
- The Nail
- The Batman 666 future
- The NES Batman games
- The planned fifth Batman movie where Nicholson Joker would have reappeared as a fear gas illusion
- The first Injustice

Anything else? Any Elseworlds I'm missing?

The mainline DCU :smug: