Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SlayVus posted:

Well they're sending me a GTX 660 in replacement of a 8800 GTX. It's better than the HD 4850 I gave my friend, so he at least be able to play the games he wants to play now.

That is a huge step up from a 8800GTX. A 560Ti by itself is as fast as 3 of the things in SLI lol. Very cool.

Too bad the 3 8800GTX's are all BFG. No RMA for them even with their "Lifetime Warranty" :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WCCFTech / Videocardz Vega rumors:
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-vega-8-gb-hbm2-teaser-video-leak/

launch in May of 2017, RAM still maxes out at 8GB

2 slot cooler

top end part will come in special limited edition package lit by LEDs

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SlayVus posted:

Well they're sending me a GTX 660 in replacement of a 8800 GTX. It's better than the HD 4850 I gave my friend, so he at least be able to play the games he wants to play now.
That's a huge upgrade!

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Rastor posted:

special limited edition package lit by LEDs

Jesus Christ.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Rastor posted:

WCCFTech / Videocardz Vega rumors:
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-vega-8-gb-hbm2-teaser-video-leak/

launch in May of 2017, RAM still maxes out at 8GB

2 slot cooler

top end part will come in special limited edition package lit by LEDs

its almost human

for real though nice box nice package nice looking cooler I guess we can try the factory AIO thing again but this is all looking like an alarming reason to have a high MSRP and if it still "just" performs at a 1080 level...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Jesus Christ AMD, it's just a graphics card; one that is seriously late.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

1gnoirents posted:

its almost human

So, Fox is going to air it out of order, then axe it at the end of the season because ratings reflected that the order it aired in turned it into a sitcom as opposed to something with a story arc?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

That's a huge upgrade!

I was hoping to get like a 900 or 1000 series honestly. Sure it's a huge upgrade over a not working 8800 GTX, but it's still an old card none the less. Beggers can't be choosers.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, Fox is going to air it out of order, then axe it at the end of the season because ratings reflected that the order it aired in turned it into a sitcom as opposed to something with a story arc?

Why'd you have to go and bum me out on a Friday like that?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
That's a cool looking box and 1080 performance is good.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

HalloKitty posted:

When did they put out a release date?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

wargames posted:

When did they put out a release date?

They didn't, I'm just talking with respect to their competition. I was expecting June, so May isn't that bad, I suppose.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

ItBurns posted:

That's a cool looking box and 1080 performance is good.

If they can manage 1080 performance for a similar price I'll buy Vega instead of the 1080 I was looking at. It would work out much better since the monitor I want has Freesync.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

so where's the gddr5x cut down version of this

because that's the price segment most people actually buy, don't let the 1070 hog this market segment, AMD :downs:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SlayVus posted:

I was hoping to get like a 900 or 1000 series honestly. Sure it's a huge upgrade over a not working 8800 GTX, but it's still an old card none the less. Beggers can't be choosers.

Old Shmold, you got a card that has almost all the DX12 support of the modern cards even if performance is subpar to current gen stuff. 5 Generations from that first DX10 card and over 4X the performance is still one hell of a bump up. The only thing I think you could have gotten that would have been possibly better/worse is something like a GTX 950 or 750Ti

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah I'm not feeling all the wanky fluff and secrecy. Until proven otherwise I'll have to assume it's a second Fury X.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah I'm not feeling all the wanky fluff and secrecy. Until proven otherwise I'll have to assume it's a second Fury X.

I'm hoping someone asks an AMD rep if this card will be an "overclockers dream". :lol:

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Picked up a dirt cheap second 1080 on eBay and it turns out sli is way way cooler than I was led to believe.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

DonkeyHotay posted:

Picked up a dirt cheap second 1080 on eBay and it turns out sli is way way cooler than I was led to believe.

I used to heavily fight for SLI but then all these good single cards starting coming out and most of the time it never seemed worth the trouble anymore for the more common situations. But if you can make use of it and you play a game where it works, its really great. In the past I couldn't help but notice that the majority of the criticisms came from people who never tried it and never would combined with those who tried it in the bad old days, not that there is anything inherently wrong with that but it did tend to exaggerate a few issues. Of course there are valid problems all of which I've personally seen as well but again when it works its kind of the poo poo.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

so where's the gddr5x cut down version of this

because that's the price segment most people actually buy, don't let the 1070 hog this market segment, AMD :downs:

might be too late for that no matter how good it turns out to be

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SLI isn't near as bad now as it was years ago, but it also isn't quite as necessary as it was back then with the raw power some of these cards now offer by themselves.

Though yes a 1070/1080/Ti/Titan XP/p SLI setup, while overkill for 1080P/1440P is wonderful for 1440P Ultrawide/4K and when it works which is "most" of the time, it is fantastic.

VR could benefit a lot from it as well, but doesn't yet unfortunately. Maybe someday when 4K headsets become a thing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

SLI isn't near as bad now as it was years ago, but it also isn't quite as necessary as it was back then with the raw power some of these cards now offer by themselves.

Though yes a 1070/1080/Ti/Titan XP/p SLI setup, while overkill for 1080P/1440P is wonderful for 1440P Ultrawide/4K and when it works which is "most" of the time, it is fantastic.

VR could benefit a lot from it as well, but doesn't yet unfortunately. Maybe someday when 4K headsets become a thing.

(bear in mind that I think the 1080 is the obvious pick in the NVIDIA lineup right now since it's hit $420 several times on sales while the 1070 very rarely if ever breaks below $320...)

(also - all of these performance/scaling figures are as measured by TechPowerUp summary at 4K)

It's always depended on relative price and the scaling you get from your favorite choices of games. Many games average 70% scaling from card #2. A lot of them are like 30%, at which point you basically shouldn't bother. And then there's the games where it doesn't work at all.

Right now I flat-out don't see a role for SLI 1070 at the moment. Much like the 970 and the 980 Ti - the x80 Ti performs at just about exactly the same level as SLI x70s at just about exactly the same cost. It's about $700 to pick up a pair of 1070s, which is the same as the x80 Ti. There's no reason to go with the SLI solution over the single-card solution at that point.

With 1080s, we're talking about a pair for $840 which is 17% more than the 1080 Ti ($700). The 1080 Ti is ~33% faster than a 1080. So at a linear price-to-performance level you would expect the 1080 SLI setup to perform (1.33 x 1.17 = 1.556 = 55.6 percent) faster.

Since SLI actually performs 70% faster in games that support it, you are getting (1.7 / 1.556 = 1.0925 = 9.25 percent) more value for your money than buying a 1080 Ti. However you are getting (1.7x / 1.33x = 1.275 = 27.5 percent) more performance than a 1080 Ti would be able to provide (because you can't just pick an arbitrary card that doesn't exist).

I mean, if you're genuinely sure that you need the last 28% to max out your ultrawide or 4K then by all means go for it. But I don't think it's a slam-dunk in terms of value either, bearing in mind that there are some games where it will get you nothing, or very little.

To be honest, it rarely if ever makes any sense to SLI anything except the very top card. Occasionally the second-to-top card when the very top card is still new and overpriced, but we're far past that point in this generation. Right now my advice is the 1080 is the slam-dunk in the low end of the price range and the 1080 Ti is the slam-dunk at the high end, single card is pretty much the way to go right now unless you need 1080 Ti SLI performance for your 144 Hz 4K monitor.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 15, 2017

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 1080 Ti is ~33% faster than a 1080.

That says between 15-25% faster not 33%.

That says 15-25% faster not 33%.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

wargames posted:

That says 15-25% faster not 33%.

You're looking at it from the wrong way my dude, 100/75=1.33x the 1080 to get to the 1080ti (at 4K).

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
All these 1080tis with their giant heatsinks makes me a little nervous about EVGA's comparatively smaller cooling solution.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
I know sli is dumb but im still going to get 2 1080tis in sli and put them under water for my x34

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
SLI is not dumb as long as you've maxed out the performance curve. 1080 Tis are the only thing that gets a double thumbs-up from me for SLI. If you need/want that much performance that's the only way to get it (Titan Xp doesn't really count as a "step up" since it's only like 8% faster per card and costs nearly twice as much).

You're going to max 100fps in everything on that, if not DSR 1.4x at 100 fps. If you have the money, then go hog wild!

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 15, 2017

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Well thats the plan and to also crank up the res scaling in vr on my vibe

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Scarecow posted:

Well thats the plan and to also crank up the res scaling in vr on my vibe

I thought SLI &VR was still wonky. Has it gotten better?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Lockback posted:

Only game I'm aware of having it, is Serious Sam. I think Unreal was planning to add it, though if/when they do, it's up to the game still and old ones would need patches.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

There are only three games that take advantage of SLI. No other developer has put forth effort to do it in their games. Which means the best single GPU for VR is the Titan Xp. Followed by 1080 Ti, Titan XP, 1080, 980 Ti, and 1070.

Edit: \/ As far as I am aware, not a single VR application, except SteamVR Performance Test, supports Crossfire.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 16, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Do any of them support crossfire?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Paul MaudDib posted:

Right now I flat-out don't see a role for SLI 1070 at the moment. Much like the 970 and the 980 Ti - the x80 Ti performs at just about exactly the same level as SLI x70s at just about exactly the same cost. It's about $700 to pick up a pair of 1070s, which is the same as the x80 Ti. There's no reason to go with the SLI solution over the single-card solution at that point.

When does NV/AMD multi-GPU ever made any sense? The concept is terrible in practice.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Palladium posted:

When does NV/AMD multi-GPU ever made any sense? The concept is terrible in practice.

Before the x80 Ti comes out and x80 prices come down, when you have a choice between x70s for $350 each and x80s for $700 each and a Titan for $1200. A pair of x70s gets you Titan performance at half the price.

Or, when you're AMD and your best card can only compete with a GTX 1060

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Or when you have one x70 from near launch, then the x80 Ti is released and people with x70 SLI are doing firesales of their barely-touched gear to fund an x80 Ti. Then you can pick up one of those x70s on the cheap.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kazinsal posted:

Or when you have one x70 from near launch, then the x80 Ti is released and people with x70 SLI are doing firesales of their barely-touched gear to fund an x80 Ti. Then you can pick up one of those x70s on the cheap.

It's always great if you can score hardware cheap but eBay prices have held steady at $325-350 so it's not like there's an overall trend of declining prices (in fact quite the opposite - I don't know why anybody would pay $350 for a used card, given that you can find new cards with warranties for similar prices...). And this scenario also leaves you holding the bag on a SLI setup that will have patchy and inconsistent performance compared to just sacking up and buying a fast single card.

Frankly the whole idea is kind of stupid in the first place since the (x+1)70 usually has similar performance to the x80 Ti anyway - so if you are a person who needs x80 Ti performance in the first place then why did you upgrade from your old x80 Ti to a new x70 that has a similar performance? If you can afford to take that $50 hit for selling your card for zero real performance gain then you can certainly afford to take the hit when you're stepping up to a card that's 70% faster.

If you want to save money and avoid incurring the fees for selling and upgrading then just run on an 18-24 month upgrade cycle, upgrading whenever the new x80 Ti launches. The architectural improvements aren't usually that significant in the short term, x80 Ti cards are more than capable of holding their own for the 9 months between the x70 launch and the x80 Ti launch.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 16, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah I moved from an R9 290 to a 1070 a couple months ago. It's a night and day difference, compared to a friend of mine who went from a 980 Ti to a 1080 and is seeing a miiiinor increase overall.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah I moved from an R9 290 to a 1070 a couple months ago. It's a night and day difference, compared to a friend of mine who went from a 980 Ti to a 1080 and is seeing a miiiinor increase overall.

I went from a 980 Ti to a 1080 because I did it really cheap ($435, 6 months ago) and because I couldn't pass my 980 Ti Classified down the line into the mITX case I built my Vive PC in (the cooler is too fat).

It's about 20-25% faster, which is a reasonable increment, but it doesn't really "cross any thresholds" so to speak. The 980 Ti and 1070 are very reasonable 1440p high/ultra cards with a few of the insane quality settings turned down a little. The 1080 lets you turn up those last few settings, or increases your framerate a little more... but it's still not going to get you to 4K high/ultra settings or anything, so at its original price point it was a very questionable value (like most x80 cards, to be honest).

Now that it's dipping below $450 very regularly, and the 1070 is still holding around $350, though... there's a very solid argument for the 1080.

I'm sure this doesn't apply to people overseas though. I guess that's the other argument for SLI. GPU hardware is a lot more expensive in other countries and doesn't come down as quick as it does in the US. If you were paying $1500 for a 1080 Ti then $900 for a pair of 1070s with similar performance sounds more reasonable.

Really most games that need SLI support do have it. Games without SLI support are mostly crap that runs at 1000fps on a toaster anyway. The economics just don't back up the concept of SLI, given US prices.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 16, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The other problem with SLI is games that DO have it but it's not well supported. I.E. most games on release.

Games like Batman Arkham Knight and AssCreed Syndicate, Dragon Age Inquisition, even GTAV were really poo poo on release with SLI.

I remember I got more of a boost in FPS in more games by using the second card as a PhysX card instead of SLI (dual 970s when they were new).

Still, and as mentioned, when it works, it IS cool. It just doesn't work nearly as often as I'd like, and I don't think I'll ever try it again, I'll always go for the best single card I can afford.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, SLI/CF profiles are usually terrible for a month or two. Fallout 4 had huge problems as well, apart from Battlefield or something that's the case with virtually any game you care to name, even big AAA titles. Half the time the regular drivers aren't even very good let alone SLI/CF.

In general my advice is to forget about launch-day hooplah and just wait a month to let the launch-day bugs and SLI profiles shake themselves out. Plus you can wait for reviews and poo poo so you don't buy yet another half-polished turd. You can usually pick up a decent discount on a grey-market game key too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, SLI/CF profiles are usually terrible for a month or two. Fallout 4 had huge problems as well, apart from Battlefield or something that's the case with virtually any game you care to name, even big AAA titles. Half the time the regular drivers aren't even very good let alone SLI/CF.

In general my advice is to forget about launch-day hooplah and just wait a month to let the launch-day bugs and SLI profiles shake themselves out. Plus you can wait for reviews and poo poo so you don't buy yet another half-polished turd. You can usually pick up a decent discount on a grey-market game key too.

That's great advice, and I follow it too (Playing Dragon Age 6 months after release was way smoother and nicer than when first tried it).

On the other hand, by that time the regular drivers are usually better too, so...

Anyway, if you've never tried SLI and you got the money to spare, go for it I guess YOLO