Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I bet he doesn't even own a TV!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Disney/Marvel hires comedy and dramatic directors to do their big movies, and gives the action scenes to no-name second unit directors. That's what gives their movies the feeling that you want to tell your friends to go see the movie. DC, on the other hand, hires action directors and have them do the drama and comedy too, which is why Batman V Superman makes you dissatisfied with two superheroes in almost three hours, while Captain America: Civil War easily managed to make twelwe heroes all stand out from each other and have their own stories and arches in the same time. DC was ALMOST on to something with the Suicide Squad movie, but it got hosed up too.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Pick posted:

Alan Moore is a crappy writer just better than most, and yeesh.

This. All the complaints about the movie treatment of Watchmen centre around Zack Snyder removing all the parts of the story that were superfluous (Black Freighter) or just plain stupid (bio engineered telepathic squid) and condensing the rest so it could be crammed into a watchable running time. It's called "adaptation distillation" see also: Fight Club.

Also, Snyder needs to be restrained. His earlier works where are excellent while anything he produced after Sucker Punch is a mess.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Uber has put out some numbers. From what I can tell, they are spinning it it to emphasize profit trends, vs actual profit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-14/embattled-uber-reports-strong-sales-growth-as-losses-continue

Not saying Uber is on death's door, but if they stick with the current model, they're done.

quote:

The ride-hailing giant more than doubled gross bookings in 2016 to $20 billion, according to financial information Uber shared with Bloomberg. Net revenue was $6.5 billion, while adjusted net losses were $2.8 billion, excluding the China business, which it sold last summer.

Literally "we lose money on every ride, but we make it up in volume!"

Is there any possible good ending here?

(For them I mean, for us the comedy gold continues)

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Uber has put out some numbers. From what I can tell, they are spinning it it to emphasize profit trends, vs actual profit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-14/embattled-uber-reports-strong-sales-growth-as-losses-continue

Not saying Uber is on death's door, but if they stick with the current model, they're done.

It is really interesting because there really is no direct business model comparison. I cant imagine they can do more growth into territories forever and at some point they will have to prove they can actually make money. I don't see them able to keep fares artificially low until driverless cars take over so it will be interesting how they shift from growth focus to profitability . My guess is that this will inevitably screw both drivers and customers.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007

Kanish posted:

My guess is that this will inevitably screw both drivers and customers.

In what way is this not already happening?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Uber needs to shift to a model where they have happy drivers/autonomous cars and a price that people still are willing to pay, even allowing for the convenience of their app. Not hitting all of these will doom the current company IMO.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ductonius posted:

In what way is this not already happening?

I've never had a bad experience riding though I've only done it about a dozen times. :shrug: I do with the app had a tip button and don't know why they just don't add the thing.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ductonius posted:

This. All the complaints about the movie treatment of Watchmen centre around Zack Snyder removing all the parts of the story that were superfluous (Black Freighter) or just plain stupid (bio engineered telepathic squid) and condensing the rest so it could be crammed into a watchable running time. It's called "adaptation distillation" see also: Fight Club.

Also, Snyder needs to be restrained. His earlier works where are excellent while anything he produced after Sucker Punch is a mess.

Nerds complaining that a film isn't an exact translation of x-work into moving pictures is a different problem from just making a bad movie. Snyder's problem wasn't that he took the Black Freighter out; it's that he spent the time on needlessly gory action sequences instead because he's the definition of style over substance.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The thing with Uber is they only needed to be a little cheaper than traditional cabs. They set the floor too low and are going to have a hard time raising the fares enough to be profitable.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kanish posted:

It is really interesting because there really is no direct business model comparison. I cant imagine they can do more growth into territories forever and at some point they will have to prove they can actually make money. I don't see them able to keep fares artificially low until driverless cars take over so it will be interesting how they shift from growth focus to profitability . My guess is that this will inevitably screw both drivers and customers.

The whole thing is predicated on driverless cars being usable on a mass scale within 5 years. If they can't get the tech working in that time they're done, hence the corporate espionage stuff with Google as they desperately try and get ahead.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Goober Peas posted:

The thing with Uber is they only needed to be a little cheaper than traditional cabs. They set the floor too low and are going to have a hard time raising the fares enough to be profitable.

The convenience factor may be more significant than the price. I've never had to wait long for an Uber, even if I'm in the suburbs, and I can use the app when I'm traveling. I can't say that about taxis; I've been downtown and still had a problem hailing a drat cab. Plus I don't need to say the address fifteen times since they already have the destination. Even at the same price I'd rather take an Uber.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

monster on a stick posted:

The convenience factor may be more significant than the price. I've never had to wait long for an Uber, even if I'm in the suburbs, and I can use the app when I'm traveling. I can't say that about taxis; I've been downtown and still had a problem hailing a drat cab. Plus I don't need to say the address fifteen times since they already have the destination. Even at the same price I'd rather take an Uber.

That was my point :colbert:

They didn't need to set their pricing where they did to get customers.

Goober Peas has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Apr 15, 2017

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007

I've never had a bad experience riding though I've only done it about a dozen times.

And they ripped you/the driver off every single time.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/uber-said-to-use-sophisticated-software-to-defraud-drivers-passengers/

TL:DR - They were showing you a longer route, charging you on that, showing the driver a shorter route, paying him on that and then Uber pocketed the difference.

there wolf posted:

Snyder's problem wasn't that he took the Black Freighter out; it's that he spent the time on needlessly gory action sequences instead because he's the definition of style over substance.

Watchmen the graphic novel was an overly verbose drama that had some interesting ideas but was too busy smelling its own farts to realize them. Snyder fixed that.

Also, I can only think of one scene in the Watchmen movie that was more gory than the graphic novel. A graphic novel which shows multiple people get exploded into gore I will remind you.

ductonius has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Apr 15, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

You say that like startups give a single poo poo about profitability these days. It's all about getting the investor money flowing in while making grant promises of insane, impossible profitability that will never, ever happen.

Every investor wants to be on the ground floor of the next Google but also doesn't want to wait more than a few years to see it built.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I am just tickled by the idea that the creators of Uber watched Total Recall and thought "yes, this is a great business model."

edit: "But driverless cars don't exist yet." "Then we'll use human slaves to keep our heads above water until they do!"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ductonius posted:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/uber-said-to-use-sophisticated-software-to-defraud-drivers-passengers/

TL:DR - They were showing you a longer route, charging you on that, showing the driver a shorter route, paying him on that and then Uber pocketed the difference.

That's what the lawsuit says, yes, which doesn't make it fact and doesn't make it true every single time. I've taken Uber to/from the airport, and they take the route that is displayed on the screen nearly all of the time which is the best route since it's the one I take when I drive. Once they switched in the middle of the route to avoid a traffic jam but that meant I got there faster :ohdear:

Where's the class action suit against taxi companies that routinely take the scenic route since you don't find out the price until after the ride is over.

If you want scummy, DC used to have this system of zones where you would pay the taxi by how many zones you crossed, so the taxis just did a grand tour of the city to charge you more.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

ductonius posted:

They do poo poo like this and still can't make money. Just, lol.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

That's what the lawsuit says, yes, which doesn't make it fact and doesn't make it true every single time. I've taken Uber to/from the airport, and they take the route that is displayed on the screen nearly all of the time which is the best route since it's the one I take when I drive. Once they switched in the middle of the route to avoid a traffic jam but that meant I got there faster :ohdear:

Where's the class action suit against taxi companies that routinely take the scenic route since you don't find out the price until after the ride is over.

If you want scummy, DC used to have this system of zones where you would pay the taxi by how many zones you crossed, so the taxis just did a grand tour of the city to charge you more.

Every single complaint about taxis is in defense of a company that is charging you and the driver to use an app that could have been shat out over a weekend by a comp 201 student. You are literally saying middlemen are cool and good and why does everything cost so much it must be the fault of labor.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ductonius posted:

Watchmen the graphic novel was an overly verbose drama that had some interesting ideas but was too busy smelling its own farts to realize them. Snyder fixed that.

Also, I can only think of one scene in the Watchmen movie that was more gory than the graphic novel. A graphic novel which shows multiple people get exploded into gore I will remind you.

Literally all the fight scenes are more gory than in the comic.

Also I don't think you are very good at literary analysis.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ryonguy posted:

Every single complaint about taxis is in defense of a company that is charging you and the driver to use an app that could have been shat out over a weekend by a comp 201 student. You are literally saying middlemen are cool and good and why does everything cost so much it must be the fault of labor.

Oh noes middlemen! You should start railing against grocery stores next because all they do is take produce from farmers and sell them to me and clearly there's no real effort in doing that.

post-edit: Seriously if you think Uber is "just an app" you are a bit mistaken. You need servers to do the matchmaking between riders/drivers, payment processing which needs to be PCI compliant or no Visa/Mastercard for you (and also reconciliation because the books have to balance at the end of the day or SOX will get you for internal controls), now you've got the Uberpool thing which means figuring out who gets to pick up the riders in the general area of X who are also going to the general area of Y because otherwise everyone will get mad at having to do a city grand tour. I mean it's obvious you've written hello world in Python or something and think all software design is easy but lol.

monster on a stick has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Apr 15, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ductonius posted:

Watchmen, the comic, was great.

The movie sucked poo poo.

hth

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Literally all the fight scenes are more gory than in the comic.

Also I don't think you are very good at literary analysis.

On the off chance I was remembering things wrong, I just rewatched all the fight scenes and compared them to the graphic novel, and no, I'm not remembering things wrong. There are times when the film is gorier but also times when the graphic novel is bloodier/gorier so I don't see how "the film was gory" is any kind of criticism. Like I said, only one scene in the movie stands out as being obviously more gory, but that change was a result of adaptation distillation; it makes the scene work better so. :shrug:

Also, I'd like to reiterate that the graphic novel had people getting exploded into gore so complaining about gore in the movie is pretty weird.

Also also I'd like to reiterate that Alan Moore is not a very good writer and the movie writers fixed many of the mistakes.

whiteyfats posted:

Watchmen, the comic, was great.

The movie sucked poo poo.

It really isn't and it didn't but I guess maybe you could convince me by posting reasons.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alan Moore is a great comics writer, actually.

hth

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

whiteyfats posted:

Alan Moore is a great comics writer, actually.

hth

And comics are bad. I'm sure your can take the logic the rest of the way.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So are driverless cars pretty much already here? They've completed millions of miles driven with a handful of accidents and are probably at least as good as the bottom 50% percentile of human drivers.

I know there are still legal issues with liability and the whatnot, but it seems like the future is already here, we're just waiting for the public policy and the law to catch up and maybe to settle on some technical standards.

And Uber, who absolutely needs driverless cars to survive, is of course like last place in the technology.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
They literally are in last place wrt their autonomous driving tech according to some article I can't find anymore. The metric was how often a human had to take over. Uber was every few minutes, Google was every few thousand miles Iirc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

So are driverless cars pretty much already here?

No, but let's not have the autonomous vehicle derail again. There's another thread for that noise.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Google's poo poo never leaves Mountain View, does it? I don't really care how many million miles it's completed of wide-laned, protected-turns suburbia where it doesn't have to interpret street signs or intersection composition because it's all fed to it by a human-maintained directory.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I've never had a bad experience riding though I've only done it about a dozen times. :shrug: I do with the app had a tip button and don't know why they just don't add the thing.

Lyft has a tip button and they are slightly less evil in other ways too.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ductonius posted:

On the off chance I was remembering things wrong, I just rewatched all the fight scenes and compared them to the graphic novel, and no, I'm not remembering things wrong. There are times when the film is gorier but also times when the graphic novel is bloodier/gorier so I don't see how "the film was gory" is any kind of criticism. Like I said, only one scene in the movie stands out as being obviously more gory, but that change was a result of adaptation distillation; it makes the scene work better so. :shrug:

Also, I'd like to reiterate that the graphic novel had people getting exploded into gore so complaining about gore in the movie is pretty weird.

Also also I'd like to reiterate that Alan Moore is not a very good writer and the movie writers fixed many of the mistakes.

It really isn't and it didn't but I guess maybe you could convince me by posting reasons.

There's no lingering shot in a man's arms getting sawed off in the book. Snyder just had to linger on the nameless goon getting maimed; but when it comes to his boss that Rorschach actually has beef with, then it's just a closed door and a wash of blood... exactly how it is in the comic. Which is really the point. Snyder knows how to turn a still frame into a living, bleeding scene, but he's poo poo at actual adaption. In an already bloated story, why did we need to cover breaking Rorschach out of jail, and why spend so much loving time on it? Because it's a chance for more action and blood and god forbid we cut one of those out of this slog of a film. Snyder didn't tighten the story up; he just took a hatchet to it and figured it'd be good enough because enough iconic scenes were faithfully recreated.

I wonder where the DCU would be today if Miller wrote longer books?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Have you ever seen the extended cuts? Jesus christ they filmed so much unimportant poo poo.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Subjunctive posted:

No, but let's not have the autonomous vehicle derail again. There's another thread for that noise.

Look out, the autonomous vehicle derail isn't responding to user inputs! My god it's heading this way!!!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oh noes middlemen! You should start railing against grocery stores next because all they do is take produce from farmers and sell them to me and clearly there's no real effort in doing that.

post-edit: Seriously if you think Uber is "just an app" you are a bit mistaken. You need servers to do the matchmaking between riders/drivers, payment processing which needs to be PCI compliant or no Visa/Mastercard for you (and also reconciliation because the books have to balance at the end of the day or SOX will get you for internal controls), now you've got the Uberpool thing which means figuring out who gets to pick up the riders in the general area of X who are also going to the general area of Y because otherwise everyone will get mad at having to do a city grand tour. I mean it's obvious you've written hello world in Python or something and think all software design is easy but lol.

This post actually has merit from what I've read

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007

there wolf posted:

There's no lingering shot in a man's arms getting sawed off in the book. Snyder just had to linger on the nameless goon getting maimed; but when it comes to his boss that Rorschach actually has beef with, then it's just a closed door and a wash of blood... exactly how it is in the comic. Which is really the point. Snyder knows how to turn a still frame into a living, bleeding scene, but he's poo poo at actual adaption. In an already bloated story, why did we need to cover breaking Rorschach out of jail, and why spend so much loving time on it? Because it's a chance for more action and blood and god forbid we cut one of those out of this slog of a film. Snyder didn't tighten the story up; he just took a hatchet to it and figured it'd be good enough because enough iconic scenes were faithfully recreated.

So you picked the one gorier shot I had in mind, so congratulations, I agree. Other than that, you're dead wrong. Stories are written as much back to front as the other way around. Rorschach makes it to the end, and makes a fairly significant point at the end, so what happens to him in the middle is important, so the jailbreak is important. Not only for Rorschach but for the other characters there as well, who are also in the finale. Take the ending in the graphic novel, remove the lovely ideas, simplify and make a movie about those characters. The fact that we got such a long, dense film is because the graphic novel *needed* a good hatchet job. However bad you think the film is the graphic novel is five or ten times as bad in that very way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Rough Lobster posted:

Look out, the autonomous vehicle derail isn't responding to user inputs! My god it's heading this way!!!
The derail came across some snow-covered roads and drove into a ditch since it had no idea where it was going. :ohdear:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ductonius posted:

So you picked the one gorier shot I had in mind, so congratulations, I agree. Other than that, you're dead wrong. Stories are written as much back to front as the other way around. Rorschach makes it to the end, and makes a fairly significant point at the end, so what happens to him in the middle is important, so the jailbreak is important. Not only for Rorschach but for the other characters there as well, who are also in the finale. Take the ending in the graphic novel, remove the lovely ideas, simplify and make a movie about those characters. The fact that we got such a long, dense film is because the graphic novel *needed* a good hatchet job. However bad you think the film is the graphic novel is five or ten times as bad in that very way.

So actually there's no reason for that scene, or for the entire jail break sequence to exist because it's not like you couldn't use a line of dialog or a shot to establish that he was broken out instead.

So going back to my original point: nerds whining about changes during adaption is one problem , and a lovely director making a bad movie is another. Watchmen is a lovely film because Snyder is a lovely director, and it really doesn't matter how bad or good the source material is. Snyder's problems, present in his entire filmography, are what sink the film more than anything.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

ductonius posted:

So you picked the one gorier shot I had in mind, so congratulations, I agree.
Not quite. The alleyway fight with the Topknots was way gorier and didn't originally involve someone getting shanked in the neck. The faux-assassination of Veidt was also gorier and didn't originally involve Lee Iaccoca getting his brains blown out*. There was also not a scene of Rorschach going all sickhouse on the kidnapper's head with a meat cleaver.

Not that I'm a big fan of Alan Moore in general--Lost Girls was one of the creepiest goddamn things I have ever read, and most of the rest is just as derivative if not quite as cringe-inducing. It's just that I dislike Snyder's work a little bit more. Half the loving movie seemed more like a retread of Deja View than a goddamn movie.

[edit] For those of you that are not as sad and old as I am, Deja View was a collection of absurdly literal music videos to songs from the 60s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIWqIi2vJEc

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 07:56 on Apr 16, 2017

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Haifisch posted:

The derail came across some snow-covered roads and drove into a ditch since it had no idea where it was going. :ohdear:

Don't worry, comic books showed up in a tow truck to pull it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Don't worry, comic books showed up in a tow truck to pull it out.

Comic book movies.