Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

it's a shame they picked padded game length, map size, number of quests, open world and cora's rear end to try and convey the ambitious scale of this galaxy instead of like, fleshing it out with a number of interesting species, exotic new technologies that are just normal here, evenly written backstories/lore and more distinct characterization if they wanted to be ambitious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Error 404 posted:

Yes. Some people collect stamps, other people play call of world of star duty craft.

It's ok, you can relax now.

lol 'my hobby is immune to criticism because it is my hobby'

your hobby looks like poo poo!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lol if you care about anything

just lol

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
and if you look long into my poo poo hobby, my poo poo hobby looks also into you

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Moola posted:

lol if you care about anything

just lol

i care about you, friend

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Moola posted:

it's ok that a thing is of bad quality because it is s hobby and hobbies are a waste of time

I mean who cares about anything lol the universe is going to die eventually anyway

However, Nier Automata will survive the destruction of the universe due to a series of staggering coincidences, so it's probably best to play it instead, as the greatest surviving work of human culture that will live on long after our extinction.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

What the gently caress lexi make up your mind

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Moola posted:

it's ok that a thing is of bad quality because it is s hobby and hobbies are a waste of time

I mean who cares about anything lol the universe is going to die eventually anyway

This guy gets it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Turbl posted:

What the gently caress lexi make up your mind
She has accurately diagnosed Ryder as a psychopath, which is a correct fact.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

hard counter posted:

it's a shame they picked padded game length, map size, number of quests, open world and cora's rear end to try and convey the ambitious scale of this galaxy instead of like, fleshing it out with a number of interesting species, exotic new technologies that are just normal here, evenly written backstories/lore and more distinct characterization if they wanted to be ambitious

The basic story hooks and number of new species are fine, it's the execution that kills everything. The Kett are a questionable decision but could have turned out okay. At least the idea of having an enemy with a very non-Mass Effect aesthetic in this new galaxy sort of makes sense.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Tiny Deer posted:

Ironically what helps ME:A the most there is that it's much easier to just drive by the trash mobs at high speeds instead of having to fight every. Single. loving. Bear.

That could also be it's downside, though--there's so much space but most of it is empty or meaningless. There's a big environment, but nothing in it is really interactive.

I think the open world format unfortunately cheapens the combat. Mass Effect fights in a small space (like a derelict ship you dock with, or a prefab warehouse) is exciting, but on the surface of a big, flat plateau, you can see enemies airdrop in from miles away, hop out of the Nomad, snipe them before their AI even activates, and keep on truckin'. Or you can just drive straight past, since all they offer 90% of the time is useless loot. But force the party into a vault, and suddenly things are interesting again.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The only good thing about the open world format is the chatting while you're driving around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BrianWilly posted:

She has accurately diagnosed Ryder as a psychopath, which is a correct fact.

If it's wrong to to turbo-boost into people who shoot at my car while yelling "SPEED BUMP!", I don't want to be right.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it's wrong to to turbo-boost into people who shoot at my car while yelling "SPEED BUMP!", I don't want to be right.

It's disappointing you can't modify the space car with spikes or a hood chainsaw.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Back in the very first season of Survivor, midway through the game they had a reward challenge. The reward was an overnight cruise with all the comforts that it affords plus a grand meal. Three days later their next reward challenge was scheduled to start and they all gathered around the set-up area anxiously awaiting the announcement of the next reward. It was a bottle of beer. That's it. Upon receiving this news the entire group of remaining castaways staged a revolt. They refused to participate in the challenge. The huge reality show phenomenon was almost over before it even started. They only agreed to continue with the show unless the reward was drastically increased. Luckily enough CBS bigwigs decided to show up that week to oversee the project, so in order to appease both CBS and the contestants themselves, the producers caved in.

The point of all this is that I'm never doing the rock and plant scanning quests again and I don't get Bioware's thought process with this. Who is ever going to do those quests again? I mean they're going to be in the game for all eternity. Someone thought to put them there as a nice little progress quest that lasts nearly the entire playthrough to make you feel like you're an actual explorer getting poo poo done agriculturally. Surely after all that stupid menial work of driving your dumb car around the far corners of the map to erase a navpoint off your map will accomplish someth- No gently caress you.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Stokes posted:

The point of all this is that I'm never doing the rock and plant scanning quests again and I don't get Bioware's thought process with this. Who is ever going to do those quests again? I mean they're going to be in the game for all eternity. Someone thought to put them there as a nice little progress quest that lasts nearly the entire playthrough to make you feel like you're an actual explorer getting poo poo done agriculturally. Surely after all that stupid menial work of driving your dumb car around the far corners of the map to erase a navpoint off your map will accomplish someth- No gently caress you.

They're completely optional side quests, so your response is correct, if over blown. Just don't do them.

It's a game with a lot of optional tasks. Do the ones you enjoy and skip the ones you don't.

Also lol @ survivor anecdote.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Arglebargle III posted:

The basic story hooks and number of new species are fine, it's the execution that kills everything. The Kett are a questionable decision but could have turned out okay. At least the idea of having an enemy with a very non-Mass Effect aesthetic in this new galaxy sort of makes sense.

I've previously posted to the effect that I think the execution produced exactly what was intended (or were satisfied with enough to call their intent) and so the problems were actually with the original plan - like it was flawed at conception. Bioware's low standards for satisfaction this time around helped too. A lot of Ideas were half-baked imho. Some of the hooks used for storytelling, like exploring advanced ruins that imply a mysterious past that maybe we'll uncover, or dealing with enemies that go by abstract titles who scream about your genetic destiny to convey how dehumanizing and evil they are, are taken right out of the original trilogy but without considering if they'd be appropriate for a new story set in a galaxy without the reapers. It's clear from the climax resolving into finding a home, the lip-service paid to first contact early on and even the premise of a deep space colonizing expedition that at some point an age of sail in space story was in there but then it had to get mashed up with trying to go back to the series status quo asap. Because they were so eager to get back the developers forgot to do things like try to establish exotic differences in technology between people whose technological evolution was directed and people that were not, or remember continuity details like that the Milky Way was super densely populated... like a half-dozen to dozen species genocided every cycle for millions of years with new guys still popping up. Andromeda ought to bristle by comparison. Details like that show. I'd be more convinced about the originality of the kett's aesthetics if I didn't see a voldemort qunari the moment I saw the archon. Their mini-bosses even teleport around and protect themselves with energy fields like the saarebas do.

I'm still optimistic about the next one because I think they'll take more time to do things right, more than anything the critiques have focused on how unpolished everything was, especially the animations, models but also the gameplay, balance and bugs. An unpolished story goes hand in hand with that. Bioware's getting pretty on-point feedback this time around so I expect them to be able to turn things around.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Coldforge posted:

They're completely optional side quests, so your response is correct, if over blown. Just don't do them.

It's a game with a lot of optional tasks. Do the ones you enjoy and skip the ones you don't.

I'd like the Mass Effect games to be good and the sooner they dispense with all the busywork tasks and spend the time they saved on interesting or engaging things to do, they better

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Coldforge posted:

A plate of steak and potatoes can easily be ruined by a side of raw chicken. Don't put it on the loving plate. Don't put it in the loving game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I agree that something went wrong in the planning and we got kind of a frankenstein of a game, but even something that's a little iffy on paper like the Exiles or yet another boring villain would have been forgiven if the narrative and dialog was okay.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Pattonesque posted:

I'd like the Mass Effect games to be good and the sooner they dispense with all the busywork tasks and spend the time they saved on interesting or engaging things to do, they better

I'd love for this game to be better than is, but it's not. Enjoy it for what it is, or don't. Forcing yourself to complete bad side quests while gritting your teeth and chanting, "but it's supposed to be AAA!" is pointless.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Coldforge posted:

I'd love for this game to be better than is, but it's not. Enjoy it for what it is, or don't. Forcing yourself to complete bad side quests while gritting your teeth and chanting, "but it's supposed to be AAA!" is pointless.

I agree! Which is why I'm not doing that and hopefully providing something in the way of useful feedback for a theoretical ME:A2

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Coldforge posted:

Coldforge posted:

This is a huge issue because without metagaming how are you supposed to know which quests give interesting information or character dialog or whatever and which ones are a complete and utter waste? Even with metagaming I don't wanna have to have a spreadsheet to alt tab out to every time I am presented with a loving quest ingame.

Can't we get over this stupid argument of lol just don't do the ones you don't like? Like, it's an RPG, not GTA or Saint's Row with their wacky minigame activities. if they are wacky activities then put them in a different quest category so I know I can avoid it.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Arglebargle III posted:

I agree that something went wrong in the planning and we got kind of a frankenstein of a game, but even something that's a little iffy on paper like the Exiles or yet another boring villain would have been forgiven if the narrative and dialog was okay.

yeah i can't disagree with that but i still hope they'll have all engines firing on the next one so it won't need to lean too hard on narrative and dialogue to fill the other gaps

Coldforge posted:

in all fairness you have no idea which side quests will be bad and which won't the first time around so if you're diligent and try to do as much as possible to get interesting stuff you'll be kind of disappointed

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hard counter posted:

in all fairness you have no idea which side quests will be bad and which won't the first time around so if you're diligent and try to do as much as possible to get interesting stuff you'll be kind of disappointed

Maybe cut the bad side quests from the game entirely.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Drifter posted:

This is a huge issue because without metagaming how are you supposed to know which quests give interesting information or character dialog or whatever and which ones are a complete and utter waste? Even with metagaming I don't wanna have to have a spreadsheet to alt tab out to every time I am presented with a loving quest ingame.

Can't we get over this stupid argument of lol just don't do the ones you don't like? Like, it's an RPG, not GTA or Saint's Row with their wacky minigame activities. if they are wacky activities then put them in a different quest category so I know I can avoid it.

I don't get this. All the optional quests are in a different quest category. Some of them are unfun. It should be pretty obvious which ones those are because, while doing them, you aren't having fun.

You should stop doing them at that point.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Coldforge posted:

I don't get this. All the optional quests are in a different quest category. Some of them are unfun. It should be pretty obvious which ones those are because, while doing them, you aren't having fun.

You should stop doing them at that point.

An entire romance is locked away in the optional quest with the reporter. Not under allies & whatevers.

The quest categories don't make a lot of sense.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

DancingShade posted:

An entire romance is locked away in the optional quest with the reporter. Not under allies & whatevers.

I'm unsure whether you're agreeing with me, disagreeing, or just providing supplemental information. Because really, I think that falls under the "do it only if it seems fun" umbrella.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Coldforge posted:

I'm unsure whether you're agreeing with me, disagreeing, or just providing supplemental information. Because really, I think that falls under the "do it only if it seems fun" umbrella.

don't put the stuff that's not fun in the game

sometimes this is difficult but generally I think they can pull it off!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Pattonesque posted:

don't put the stuff that's not fun in the game

sometimes this is difficult but generally I think they can pull it off!

I agree. This game is already released, though :shrug:

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Batarians are the best ME race

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Coldforge posted:

I agree. This game is already released, though :shrug:

right, this is critique so in DLC and sequels they take another path!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

steakmancer posted:

Weird way to spell Volus.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

steakmancer posted:

weird way to spell raloi

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

steakmancer posted:

Weird way to spell Vorcha

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Coldforge posted:

Maybe I was just commenting without agreeing or arguing. :burger:

Tsargon the Great
Jun 4, 2005

~=~ NuMBa 1 PoSta~=~
CuTiE

Coldforge posted:

If we had the self-esteem to not play terrible pieces of poo poo then none of us would be in this thread.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DancingShade posted:

Maybe I was just commenting without agreeing or arguing. :burger:

Easily the most hosed up thing posted in this thread.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Something about this being a 'new frontier' makes scanning 10 mushrooms kind of thematic. Still mind-numbing, and getting a bounty is probably the least interesting reward thing you could get out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

A plate of steak and potatoes can easily be ruined by a side of raw chicken. Don't put it on the loving plate. Don't put it in the loving game.

This game doesn't have raw chicken, it just has way too much potatoes, and the quantity of potatoes doesn't affect the quality of the steak.

Why is it so hard for some goons to understand that a game can have good and bad parts, but still have the good outweigh the bad?